Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 28, 2016 1:09 AM
Jan 2014
This show is all about trolling cute village maiden.

Anyway unrelated to the episode, but I have an important question.
If Natsu is neutered, how will they have the next bear deity?
May 29, 2016 5:33 AM

Jan 2011
Thought this was gonna go in a different direction...
May 29, 2016 10:12 AM

Nov 2015
ReaperCreeper said:
Thought this was gonna go in a different direction...

why you have to mention it :'((
May 29, 2016 12:11 PM

Jun 2013
First half was pretty funny, but honestly the second half made me feel extremely uncomfortable and the comedy did not work at all.
May 29, 2016 8:07 PM

Jun 2013
Poor Machi. I think her severe social anxiety needs professional help. It's not healthy or cute anymore. She's being a useless little brat.
BibimbapskiMay 29, 2016 8:13 PM
臭い-
May 30, 2016 1:13 PM

Sep 2013
Kougeru said:
dbaranyi said:
I'm feeling no sympathy for Machi at all because she is deliberately supposed to be the target of the jokes in this series. This is a comedy, not a romance or "feel good" show.

On the cynical side, look at the set up - Machi is a 14 or 15 year old who acts like and demands to be treated like an eight year old. Yoshio is doing exactly the right things by putting Machi into situations where she has to step up to life or fail. Because she choses to fail, we laugh.

I greatly disagree.

I disagree because I have aspergers. This episode, and the one with Village Vanguard basically confirmed to me that Machi has aspergers. Intentionally? Maybe not. Maybe they just thought it would be funny to make her struggle so much socially...but either way the result was that her anxiety and stress...her reactions, match mine almost perfectly. She also takes things super literally, another thing that a lot of people with aspergers do. The fact that she seems only capable of talking to people she's been around before is another factor. Thinking back, the episode she went out with Hibiki and knew literally EVERYTHING about the store.....that's another thing people with aspergers often do: We'll struggle talking to strangers...but if something we can nerd-out about comes up, we don't shut up. She did that perfectly when it came to that store lol.

It matches so perfectly, it would be an amazing coincidence if it was accidental. So for that reason, I greatly disagree with your statement. Yoshio is doing exactly the WRONG thing for her. Throwing people into a fire is not the best way to deal with it. Some people are literally incapable of doing certain things, and never will be. If Machi was a real human, I'd honestly put her stress levels at such a high degree that I'd say she might not make ever be able to do things like retail. For a lot of people, even just ordering food from strangers can be a lot of stress. She might need real professional help rather than people just making her mental health worse.
If that's an accurate description of aspergers then I think my personality is a bit too close for comfort...

Asian parents are literally Yoshio though so it's not like this is uncommon practice.
May 31, 2016 12:16 AM

Dec 2015
First, it makes you hungry then it makes you laugh a lot or horrifies you.

5/5
May 31, 2016 4:53 PM

Apr 2012
The first half was pretty great and I'm tempted to try that Italian rice. The second half was a nice reference to "The Little Match Girl", but I felt the tragedy element might have been overplayed a little too much versus the comedy.
May 31, 2016 9:24 PM

Sep 2013
Man these episodes just make me feel bad. Machi gets begged and tricked to do something she doesn't want to and doesn't think she can do, we watch Machi have a hell of a panic attack and then they seem let down she didn't do a great job. She's like 14, chill out a bit.
Jun 2, 2016 4:11 AM

Dec 2012
Machi's imagination is crazy xD
Jun 9, 2016 8:38 AM
Mar 2012
lol, kuma fail. It's like Jungle Book for awhile.
Water rice recipes look fun, wanna try someday.
That work in public suffering is real, I could relate to it.
Hibiki's still scary.
Jun 12, 2016 1:18 AM

Dec 2012
Poor Machi. So much pressure in that supermarket for a shy person like her. xD
Jun 16, 2016 12:23 PM

Sep 2013
Ice Water Rice :O
A lot of intimacy between Machi and Natsu ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Machi helped out a supermarket by selling samples, anxiety and public speaking is a hard combo :'(
Jun 20, 2016 10:06 AM

Apr 2014
Being Machi is suffering

Jun 23, 2016 7:21 PM

Feb 2014
Liked the cooking part first half.

Poor Machi, she has so much social anxiety :( I'm glad she's growing as a person, but watching her struggle like this is boring. Is it supposed to be cute or something?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 27, 2016 12:24 AM

Mar 2015
Where the hell is this show going? Why couldn't it stick to its earlier premise of miko girl and talking bear slice of life? In the last few episodes it's become a "let put our socially awkward girl out in society and laugh at the melodrama she creates" awkward and sickening kind of reel. And don't get me started on how much of a conniving piece of shit Yoshio is.
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jul 3, 2016 8:32 AM

May 2015
Some people out there forget that Kuma Miko is a Seinen
but they're still watching it with this kind of comedy,
meh i dont understand these kind of people
Jul 5, 2016 9:09 AM

Apr 2011
The 1st half was okay cooking that cold rice.

But the supermarket was very hard to watch for Machi to suffer. Like the mall scene it was cringy. So bad its not even funny.

Machi needs serious guidance. Not from Yoshio, Hibiki, or Natsu.
MagitoJul 5, 2016 9:13 AM
Jul 28, 2016 8:17 PM

May 2012
Another fun episode, up to the next one!
Aug 11, 2016 8:11 PM
Sep 2009
Natsu is mai waifubear. Because I like bacon and garlic.

And, yep, there's an Italian cold rice salad, called Insalata di Riso, although I don't think Natsu is quite making it right. (:
Aug 23, 2016 3:03 PM

Jul 2009
LaceyKuroki said:
I felt those Tomoko vibes!

Yup. Somehow this show stopped being brainless slice of life and became brainless WataMote... I'm pretty weirded out at this point on why they changed the aura of the show out of nowhere.

dbaranyi said:
I'm feeling no sympathy for Machi at all because she is deliberately supposed to be the target of the jokes in this series. This is a comedy, not a romance or "feel good" show.

On the cynical side, look at the set up - Machi is a 14 or 15 year old who acts like and demands to be treated like an eight year old. Yoshio is doing exactly the right things by putting Machi into situations where she has to step up to life or fail. Because she choses to fail, we laugh.

Well, this definitely isn't what was sold, and while I relate to your vision (that was how I felt in WataMote), this is not exactly the same situation.
In WataMote we had Tomoko being a jerk to everyone and getting what she asked for; in Kuma Miko, she's just the portrayal of a pure hillbilly miko, and all this "abuse" sets the tone of the show on an entirely different spot. The show never implies she is bringing it upon herself, so it's your interpretation alone about the whole "she must face the world" thing.
Which might be a realistic point of view, but certainly not what this kind of show is (was?) about.

Kougeru said:
Asperger yadda yadda

Now this is just self-inserting...
As a highly-functional asperger myself, it always puzzles me when I see people assuming shallow characters with trope-ridden personalities are some portrayal of a very specific psychological disorders they experience, and that it's all actually a hidden drama about their specific "sicknesses".
You don't have to pull out a Psychiatry book and diagnose it: it's a slice of life anime, she's just a (generically) socially awkward person.

It's not Alzheimer's just because the old man forgot something, it's not Guillain-Barré Syndrome when a character has a pain on the back, it's not prosopagnosia when the MC fails to recognize someone.

Screenwriters write traits, not your specially unique handicap. When it IS about a handicap, they will make it unambiguous and relevant, because they're added to intensify drama. No one puts a character on a wheelchair "just because". Same goes for their mental state - characters can be happy, sad, angry, traumatized, NOT hormone unbalanced, chronic depressed, ADHD or bipolar. This stuff isn't narrative tools.

Bibimbapski said:
Poor Machi. I think her severe social anxiety needs professional help. It's not healthy or cute anymore. She's being a useless little brat.

See this? You want an anime girl to seek professional help?
Would you really feel all the excitement of a slice of life about a miko going to Psychiatry, taking a couple pills, then having their serotonin levels measured, going to the big city to do some MRI scans and consulting her local doctor twice a month?

This is stuff that would appear on a show about this kind of trauma, otherwise emotions/personality traits are just that - traits. They move the story or set up the stage for interactions.

I believe you are all old enough to separate fiction from life; you can feel bad for Machi (I do too!), but diving this deep into it is definitely pushing it.
Stories are allegories made so you can reflect upon them and apply your findings into real life, not the other way around.
CAMPAIGN: If you write an anime review, please make it short.
You're not a writer, Jim, I want meta-information, not a teenager's impression of a clickbait journalist.

Aug 24, 2016 2:53 AM

Jun 2013
Barusamikosu said:
LaceyKuroki said:
[spoiler]I felt those Tomoko vibes!

Yup. Somehow this show stopped being brainless slice of life and became brainless WataMote... I'm pretty weirded out at this point on why they changed the aura of the show out of nowhere.

dbaranyi said:

Well, this definitely isn't what was sold, and while I relate to your vision (that was how I felt in WataMote), this is not exactly the same situation.
In WataMote we had Tomoko being a jerk to everyone and getting what she asked for; in Kuma Miko, she's just the portrayal of a pure hillbilly miko, and all this "abuse" sets the tone of the show on an entirely different spot. The show never implies she is bringing it upon herself, so it's your interpretation alone about the whole "she must face the world" thing.
Which might be a realistic point of view, but certainly not what this kind of show is (was?) about.

Kougeru said:
Asperger yadda yadda

Now this is just self-inserting...
As a highly-functional asperger myself, it always puzzles me when I see people assuming shallow characters with trope-ridden personalities are some portrayal of a very specific psychological disorders they experience, and that it's all actually a hidden drama about their specific "sicknesses".
You don't have to pull out a Psychiatry book and diagnose it: it's a slice of life anime, she's just a (generically) socially awkward person.

It's not Alzheimer's just because the old man forgot something, it's not Guillain-Barré Syndrome when a character has a pain on the back, it's not prosopagnosia when the MC fails to recognize someone.

Screenwriters write traits, not your specially unique handicap. When it IS about a handicap, they will make it unambiguous and relevant, because they're added to intensify drama. No one puts a character on a wheelchair "just because". Same goes for their mental state - characters can be happy, sad, angry, traumatized, NOT hormone unbalanced, chronic depressed, ADHD or bipolar. This stuff isn't narrative tools.

Bibimbapski said:

See this? You want an anime girl to seek professional help?
Would you really feel all the excitement of a slice of life about a miko going to Psychiatry, taking a couple pills, then having their serotonin levels measured, going to the big city to do some MRI scans and consulting her local doctor twice a month? [/spoiler]

This is stuff that would appear on a show about this kind of trauma, otherwise emotions/personality traits are just that - traits. They move the story or set up the stage for interactions.

I believe you are all old enough to separate fiction from life; you can feel bad for Machi (I do too!), but diving this deep into it is definitely pushing it.
Stories are allegories made so you can reflect upon them and apply your findings into real life, not the other way around.

Yes, dear child, I am old enough to separate fiction from life. As a matter of fact, I am paying taxes. I know what "adulting" is all about. You're the one pushing it and taking it too far if you're highly disturbed by my comment. Don't tell me how to interpret to appreciate my slice-of-life series. If I want to dissect, analyze and shit on every moe character, I will do so with gusto.
臭い-
Aug 26, 2016 9:26 PM

Jul 2009
Bibimbapski said:

Yes, dear child, I am old enough to separate fiction from life. As a matter of fact, I am paying taxes. I know what "adulting" is all about. You're the one pushing it and taking it too far if you're highly disturbed by my comment. Don't tell me how to interpret to appreciate my slice-of-life series. If I want to dissect, analyze and shit on every moe character, I will do so with gusto.

In other words, since you pay taxes, no one has the right to discuss your opinions in a discussion forum?

If you're not interested in what others might add to your messages, then please be consistent and don't reply to them just for the sake of shrugging it off. That is not "adulting" at all.

On the other hand, if you'd like to debate any of what I said on my previous post, I'm all ears. Further meta-discussion will be ignored.
CAMPAIGN: If you write an anime review, please make it short.
You're not a writer, Jim, I want meta-information, not a teenager's impression of a clickbait journalist.

Oct 26, 2018 2:47 PM

Jan 2010
That store part was a bit painful to watch.
Dec 11, 2019 9:37 AM

Aug 2018
Eh.. It's really isn't very nice from Yoshio to lie about place.. I mean, can't he just talk it out without lies?..
Well, work can be pretty stressing in itself.. Especially as first time.. And especially as how hard it was with lots of people for Machi already.. Well, I'll hope she'll do her best, but really, why wouldn't they just try hanging out in crowded places more at first?.. Well, will see, how she takes it..
Poor Machi.. How she's not traumatized for life.. Well, maybe she is..
At this point, I don't really understand, why Machi would like to study in the city.. Would she, or was it only one episode thing in the beginning?.. Any way.. I wish the best for the girl, whichever she'll decide to do.. And health to not die out of heart attack or something..
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kuma Miko Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2016

219 by Forum »»
Feb 29, 4:53 PM

Poll: » Kuma Miko Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2016

72 by Forum »»
Feb 29, 4:38 PM

Poll: » Kuma Miko Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2016

55 by HanamiDango »»
Jan 26, 2022 10:43 PM

Poll: » Kuma Miko Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 29, 2016

63 by HanamiDango »»
Jan 24, 2022 11:07 PM

Poll: » Kuma Miko Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2016

92 by HanamiDango »»
Jan 16, 2022 11:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.