Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 21, 2016 11:08 PM

Oct 2015
As MAL stands right now, manga days are counted by using either of the following two values: (Thanks to a fellow MAL user, I just found this out few days ago)

(Total Volume Count*0.05)
(Total Chapter Count*0.00555556)

Whichever value comes out to be the highest gets counted towards your manga days.
But this formula is applied to your total chapter/volume count.

That means lets say for example that UserXYZ has read 1000 Chapters and 150 Volumes in total. If they were to read a Manga with no volume count (Himouto! Umaru-chan), which has 145 Chapters, their Manga Days won't change one bit. They'd remain the same, which would be 7.5 days.

My suggestion is to apply this formula PER Manga, instead of Overall count
Minor Suggestion..
Hisoka said:
True love is finding someone whose demons play well with yours.
Illumi said:
May 22, 2016 1:15 AM

Oct 2009
I think I read somewhere that it uses the one with the LARGER total number of days as your official Day Count.
For example in my stats: Days count
Chapters - 1,780 - 9.89~9.9
Volumes -52 - 2.6
My official days count: 9.9

And I don't get what you mean by "per" manga, how does that work especially since every manga has a different length than the other, then there's also webcomics, and daily manga. How would you calculate those?

But as for LNs it should be a diff counting since 1 volume would take more than 1.2 hours to read, from what I've heard

May 22, 2016 11:03 AM

Oct 2015
@Thug_Gou

Lets take me for example:
Volumes - 574 - 28.70 days
Chapters - 5095 - 28.31 days
Right now, it's using my volume days count.

So if I read some manga which has 0 vols and 55 chapters, my manga days would remain the exact same....

Volumes - 574 - 28.70 days
Chapters - 5150 - 28.61 days

Means it'll still take my volume count.....

My suggestion "Per Manga" means that my 55 chapters worth of days be counted towards official Manga Days as well.

(55*0.0055....6) + 28.70 (Existing Manga Days)
Hisoka said:
Illumi said:
May 22, 2016 11:08 AM

Oct 2015
And I also agree with you on the LN reading time change.

I'm not particularly a fan of LNs, mainly because I do not have enough dedication and the time it takes to keep reading one.
Hisoka said:
Illumi said:
May 30, 2016 7:17 AM

Aug 2013
Thug_Gou said:

But as for LNs it should be a diff counting since 1 volume would take more than 1.2 hours to read, from what I've heard

400 page novels usually take about 2-3hours, unless you're just glancing over stuff rather than reading it.
May 30, 2016 12:31 PM

Oct 2014
Toshiya_K said:
Thug_Gou said:

400 page novels usually take about 2-3hours, unless you're just glancing over stuff rather than reading it.
Light novels are usually 40k-50k words (160-200 pages). Most people read about a page a minute so your 2-3 hours figure would be accurate for light novels, but there actually are some 300 page novels that have been released as light novels, so those would take a bit longer to read. Reading a light novel in 1.2 hours would require reading at a speed of 556 words/minute, which is well above average.
May 30, 2016 10:09 PM

Aug 2013
zombie_pegasus said:
Reading a light novel in 1.2 hours would require reading at a speed of 556 words/minute, which is well above average.

Yeah, but what you're saying is just "reading", like a manual or newspaper. Who does that when reading a novel you're trying to enjoy?
and my previous post had wrong info, it should be around 300-350 pages. 400 is usually the big ones, I don't remember the length of the Kawakami novels though.
btw are you counting time for original Japanese version or translations? because I have no idea how reading Japanese feels like or how long it might take.
May 30, 2016 10:23 PM

Oct 2014
Toshiya_K said:
zombie_pegasus said:
Reading a light novel in 1.2 hours would require reading at a speed of 556 words/minute, which is well above average.

Yeah, but what you're saying is just "reading", like a manual or newspaper. Who does that when reading a novel you're trying to enjoy?
and my previous post had wrong info, it should be around 300-350 pages. 400 is usually the big ones, I don't remember the length of the Kawakami novels though.
btw are you counting time for original Japanese version or translations? because I have no idea how reading Japanese feels like or how long it might take.
I doubt anyone could actually read and properly enjoy a light novel in 1.2 hours.

I'm basing that off of numerical averages, but since accurate translations will not be the same amount of words nor take up the same amount of space the numbers will be inaccurate. Books written in English tend to have around 250 words on each page. Light novels are intended to just barely fit the minimum definition of a novel which is 40,000 words, although the English translation may be shorter or longer than the original due to how translations work. Most people read around 250-300 words per minute. If you're trying to read it in Japanese without knowing much of the language then I'm sure it would take a very long time, but MAL shouldn't have to calculate that. I know I personally took a good 15 minutes to read a page of manga raw. Google says they "rarely exceed 200 pages" so that would confirm that they would generally have around the same number of pages in English as they do in Japanese.
May 31, 2016 4:49 PM

Aug 2013
@zombie_pegasus
I think I derailed the thread a bit. Sorry about that.

If we're getting a different time scale for novels, we should definitely go with a standard reading time, which should be about 1.5 to 2 hours depending on length. In that case MAL might have to make a tag for smaller side stories to apply a different amount of time for them.

Any extra time should be up to the reader. Same reason why 20 min episodes are counted as exactly 20 min and does not include the time people spend pausing the video and staring at a particular scene or trying to read subs etc.
Jun 6, 2016 5:24 AM

Apr 2011
They should just change the vol and chapter metric when a work is categorized as a ln. That way it automatically takes into account length, just as happens with manga.

More topics from this board

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - 10 hours ago

3 by traed »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 20, 2:02 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

3 by Jhiday »»
Apr 17, 11:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.