Forum Settings
Forums

Magi syndrome - is it best not to bring up political/philosophical issues most of the time?

New
May 20, 2016 4:31 PM

Mar 2015
I've watched quite a few shows but none have inspired me to write a thread like Magi.

People praise Magi for bringing up certain issues that most anime doesn't touch, but in every situation I've seen, one side is pure, dark evil. Morality is presented in a way to make you not think rather than think. The "bad" side lacks a human element with which one can try to work out an understanding why they became as they did. Sometimes you get a flashback of a dark and troubled past, but the actual descent to badness just doesn't seem plausible.

Without the political stuff, I would find the show more appealing, but due to its existence it's hard not to find the world irritating.

Do other people get annoyed by stuff like this, or do you mainly just root your heroes on against the big dark evil? I wish I could do the latter without cringing, but it's just so hard.

Maybe the question I should be asking is: is it better to touch on issues in a half-assed way or would it be better to avoid them completely?
HalkenburgMay 20, 2016 4:40 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 20, 2016 4:39 PM

Jul 2014
nay, I root my big dark evil on against the heroes.
May 20, 2016 4:40 PM

Mar 2015
vikki7783 said:

Must be a tough existence then, with your team always losing lol
May 20, 2016 4:46 PM

Mar 2015
ehh... "le depend on execution" answer...

i mean, death note is not as intruguing if without political issue on it.. if it is actually necessary for setting and plot progression and excecuted well, it make sseries more logical and understable...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 21, 2016 2:54 AM

May 2015
It is better to avoid the issues than do it in a half-assed away.

It's better to be ignorant than misinformed. Being ignorant means you know you don't know, so you'll be open to new ideas. Being misinformed means you think you know, so you'll be less flexible and less open.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
May 21, 2016 2:55 AM

Jul 2008
Are you saying Magi is black and white or more nuanced?
May 21, 2016 12:31 PM

May 2012
There are shows with more nuanced presentations of good and evil. They are just not as popular as shows with black-and-white stories. Sarai-ya Goyou is an especially good example about a band of kidnappers. Monster's "villain" has a complex back story that helps explain his penchant for murder. The emperor in Seirei no Moribito is set on killing his son, but he has an understandable reason. Death Parade follows a variety of characters who have ended up in a form of purgatory; their stories are often pretty shaded. Gatchaman Crowds Insight presents a story about "soft" fascism that you might also like, though you should first watch Gatchaman Crowds itself.
SeijiSenseiMay 21, 2016 12:35 PM
May 21, 2016 12:44 PM
Jul 2018
Magi has the best blue nipples in anime, it can politicize and philosiphicize all it wants.
May 21, 2016 12:59 PM

Jun 2012
GarLogan78 said:
Pure evil sounds sort of like, I don't know, a shade of green.
May 21, 2016 1:11 PM

Mar 2015
GarLogan78 said:

I would say it masquerades as being more nuanced but from the first season it really just seems like a mystery of who is black and white. There are a few grays though.
May 21, 2016 3:05 PM

Jan 2008
FloatingIdiot said:
People praise Magi for bringing up certain issues that most anime doesn't touch, but in every situation I've seen, one side is pure, dark evil.

Well then you weren't paying much attention, were you? In Magi especially, there's only one side that can be called "pure dark evil" and even that is debatable on the "pure" part. Take the magician's country, for example. Yeah, they do a lot of evil things, but they're not evil. They're not doing it for poops and giggles. Hell, not even Judar, one of the biggest assholes in the show, can be considered pure evil, because well... he's not. He doesn't kill people for no reason, he's not a completely sadistic bastard, like most pure evil characters are. Back with Alibaba's douche brother, he was very close to be pure evil, but in reality he was just an idiot who was easy to manipulate. Kasshim wasn't evil either, but used less then nice methods.

So really, where is all this "pure dark evil" stuff in Magi?
May 21, 2016 3:17 PM
Feb 2014
So it was the politics that made you dislike Magi all along?

Who would have thought..
May 22, 2016 11:44 PM

Apr 2010
It's really a first-time? It is shown especially when meeting the villains, but not only. Meine Liebe have 2 main characters who argue every time they can: should a ruler should rule by listening to his people or by force (as for politics, it's the only one I can think of right now. It was never decided in the anime which one is right). Here are not villains, while one presenting the innocent believer the other presents the non believer who trusts only himself. there's a time when each explains himself, but too long to write.
Anyway... I also hate the amines I can't really hate a character just because if its past if something, something which didn't happen at younger age.

May 23, 2016 12:02 AM

Mar 2015
Depends entirely on the show's execution. If it's done right, it's good and will mix into the story without seeming overt . If it's done badly, it will seem forced. Magi imo is somewhere in between: it's not exactly bad per se, but it definitely could've been far more subtle with its political subtext post-timeskip.
May 23, 2016 12:05 AM

Apr 2013
Well Magi certainly does political themes and social hierarchy better than Shingeki no Kyojin.

Not to mention Sinbad is one of the most morally grey antagonist I've seen in a manga series.
May 23, 2016 12:07 AM

Jan 2014
Bringing political/philosophical issues is the something that make one anime better than the others, I like Magi because of that by the way.

As long as it doesn't contain real racism to certain people.
May 23, 2016 12:10 AM

Mar 2015
hoopla123 said:
Well Magi certainly does political themes and social hierarchy better than Shingeki no Kyojin.

Not to mention Sinbad is one of the most morally grey antagonist I've seen in a manga series.

Sinbad is also one of the most badass supporting characters ever. And his growth from a supporting character into a full-blown antagonist is just amazing. Shingeki no Kyoujin's antagonists on the other hand... =_=
May 23, 2016 3:13 AM

Oct 2013
OneTrueEmiya said:
hoopla123 said:

Sinbad is also one of the most badass supporting characters ever. And his growth from a supporting character into a full-blown antagonist is just amazing. Shingeki no Kyoujin's antagonists on the other hand... =_=

Do you even know the antagonist for snk???? Lol please don't tell me you think it's the titans. Lmao

I have no idea why snk is brought up into this, FYI, he's more of a hxh fan than a snk fan. But I already know you guys are cowards and it's more easier to talk badly of a series that's controversial than a series that isn't.
TyrelMay 23, 2016 2:27 PM
May 23, 2016 5:52 AM

Mar 2015
keragamming said:

I have no idea why snk is brought up into this, FYI, he's more of a hxh fan than a snk fan. But I already know you guys are cowards and it's more easier to talk badly of a series that's controversial than a series that isn't.

Or maybe it's because SnK really isn't that good and that's why we're able to criticise it? Just maybe, y'know~
May 23, 2016 6:54 AM

Nov 2009
>is it best not to bring up political/philosophical issues most of the time?
I think it's better to bring up an issue and present it badly, rather than not presenting the issue at all.
Sure, TTGL isn't balanced in its presentation of cornucopian-malthusian debate. But it makes the fight a whole lot cooler than villains who are evil just because. Maybe because the heroes aren't fighting for the status quo, they fight for a specific side.
May 23, 2016 8:25 AM

Oct 2013
OneTrueEmiya said:
keragamming said:

Or maybe it's because SnK really isn't that good and that's why we're able to criticise it? Just maybe, y'know~

Blah, blah we all know people have different opinion, your favorites are mostly full of mediocre anime, but that isn't the point here.

And also you haven't criticise snk at all, you said something about the antagonist which was vague. Instead of making a argument against op, the best thing
@hoopla123 could do is attack one of his favorite series to prove a point and he choose titans because he wont get any backlash around here for talking badly of it. Which shows that he didn't have the capacity to argue against op points. And then you mindlessly follow, because you're not a fan of the series.

Anyhow, op has won against you guys because none of you has actually challenge him. Smh. "what you said magi isn't good in political aspect?? I have no argument against your point, but at least it is better than pokemon, dbz, mario, boku no pico ect." Lmao well done guys, you sure prove your point against op. XD
keragammingMay 23, 2016 8:29 AM
May 23, 2016 8:29 AM

Apr 2013
keragamming said:
OneTrueEmiya said:

Blah, blah we all know people have different opinion, your favorites are mostly full of mediocre anime, but that isn't the point here.

And also you haven't criticise snk at all, you said something about the antagonist which was vague. Instead of making a argument against op, the best thing
@hoopla123 could do is attack one of his favorite series to prove a point and he choose titans because he wont get any backlash around here for talking badly of it. Which shows that he didn't have the capacity to argue against op points. And then you mindlessly follow, because you're not a fan of the series.

Anyhow, op has won against you guys because none of you has actually challenge him. Smh

The taste of your salty tears make me proud of @OneTrueEmiya.

And btw, SnK is not even a controversial series. There are a ton of fanboys like you and the OP in this forum. I mean look at the backlash I'm receiving right now from you =).
May 23, 2016 8:33 AM

Mar 2015
keragamming said:
OneTrueEmiya said:

Anyhow, op has won against you guys because none of you has actually challenge him. Smh

I never pointed out that your favourites are mostly full of mediocre anime, but if you insist...

And that was criticism, criticism worded in a way that wouldn't spoil SnK and yet still be a valid point to discuss about. And I'm an SnK fan too! I love Misaka, she's a fantastic character <3

And lmfao it was never about "winning" against OP. It's a discussion thread, we discuss things. Like how SnK is kind of crappy.
May 23, 2016 8:35 AM

Oct 2014
keragamming said:
OneTrueEmiya said:

Anyhow, op has won against you guys because none of you has actually challenge him. Smh. "what you said magi isn't good in political aspect?? I have no argument against your point, but at least it is better than pokemon, dbz, mario, boku no pico ect." Lmao well done guys, you sure prove your point against op. XD

Or maybe because the show has actual flaws that helps his/her argument? You don't have to deny flaws to love a show. And unless they correct themselves and make me look like a fool, none of them even implied the titans were anything but a force of nature.
ThieveryMay 23, 2016 8:38 AM
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; What is essential is invisible to the eye.

But does the heart have the right perspective?
May 23, 2016 8:39 AM

Oct 2013
hoopla123 said:
keragamming said:

And btw, SnK is not even a controversial series. There are a ton of fanboys like you and the OP in this forum. I mean look at the backlash I'm receiving right now from you =).

There's not much snk fans Around these forum, there's not that many though. Say some shit against hxh 2011 and you will have fanboys eating you alive!

I got salty because:
1. You guys spoil me, I'm reading the manga here.
2. I came to this thread to see what op was saying about Magi, but instead I saw two guys randomly inserting snk into all this. For no reason at all.

@OneTrueEmiya so you've read the manga? Then why couldn't you name the antagonist in spoiler tag and say why he or she isn't a good antagonist? What you said was vague.

@KoreaWS look what hoopla said, he literally said magi politics is better than snk polics without making any valud points. Anyone can do that.
keragammingMay 23, 2016 8:45 AM
May 23, 2016 8:40 AM
Jul 2018
Lol I see salty tears overflowing here. xD

Anyway, it is better to to avoid such issues obviously , without touching upon it in a half-assed way. Being ignorant, it will create scope for new ideas and give you more freedom, while being misinformed ruins it
May 23, 2016 8:41 AM

Mar 2015
keragamming said:
hoopla123 said:

There's not much snk fans Around these forum, there's not that many though. Say some shit against hxh 2011 and you will have fanboys eating you alive!

I got salty because:
2. I came to this thread to see what op was saying about Magi, but instead I saw two guys randomly inserting snk into all this. For no reason at all.

I don't get it though, why are you hating on a fellow SnK fanboy for pointing out how crap it can be? I'm just trying to help the series by pointing out its flaws and hoping the author will fix them. As I said, I'm a diehard Misaka fan...
May 23, 2016 8:46 AM

Apr 2013
keragamming said:
hoopla123 said:

I got salty because:

The reason why I even brought up SnK is because the OP (who used to be called AttackonTetris, a diehard SnK fanboy) argued that SnK was the deepest and most political anime to ever grace the 2D realm.

Now I come here and he shits on Magi on AD without even posting on the respective Magi discussion forum. Not only that but comon man, what the hell is "Magi Syndrome?" Should we call all dragged out "no basement for you" anime/manga as the "SnK Syndrome?"

Also, I didn't spoil you fam. That was @OneTrueEmiya.
May 23, 2016 8:49 AM

Mar 2015
@OneTrueEmiya so you've read the manga? Then why couldn't you name the antagonist in spoiler tag and say why he or she isn't a good antagonist? What you said was vague.

@keragamming
That's because I was being deliberately vague to prevent spoilers while averting the use of spoilers, as spoilers often break down my post format, and I'm rather OCD about it. But as I said, I'm a diehard Misaka fan. Why are you attacking me when you should be attacking anti-SnK plebs like @hoopla123?
May 23, 2016 8:52 AM

Oct 2013
OneTrueEmiya said:
keragamming said:

I got salty because:

I don't get it though, why are you hating on a fellow SnK fanboy for pointing out how crap it can be? I'm just trying to help the series by pointing out its flaws and hoping the author will fix them. As I said, I'm a diehard Misaka fan...

I'm not saying snk is a perfect series, believe it or not somethings I don't like in it. And you haven't pointed out a single flaw for me to argue against as well.

@hoopla123 Okie.

@OneTrueEmiya argument is finish! Go home. anti-SnK plebs smh lmao I don't think you've read the manga. Its obvious. Lol
keragammingMay 23, 2016 8:58 AM
May 23, 2016 8:52 AM

Apr 2013
OneTrueEmiya said:

@keragamming
That's because I was being deliberately vague to prevent spoilers while averting the use of spoilers, as spoilers often break down my post format, and I'm rather OCD about it. But as I said, I'm a diehard Misaka fan. Why are you attacking me when you should be attacking anti-SnK plebs like @hoopla123?

It's so obvious you didn't even read the manga.

What a secondary man. Get outta here. There's no discussion to be had with a Misaka fanboy such as yourself fam.
May 23, 2016 8:53 AM

May 2016
I haven't seen Magi, so I can't offer any insight into how it uses its themes and ideas, but I am the kind of guy who is all for anime exploring ideas that other anime won't ever touch. Hell, it's one of the reasons I love Seraphim Call--it's a creative, refreshing little early-2000s shoujo anime by Sunrise (!), but it separates itself from its peers by utilizing a lot of postmodernism in its writing. One episode is entirely from the perspective of a doll on a shelf, another episode is entirely done as a one-man stage show, almost every episode deals with unreliable narrators or the blurred lines between reality and delusion, etc.

Sure, it's not the only anime to ever do things like this (Anno Hideaki did this kind of thing for a living in the 80s and 90s), but it's still in the minority, and I am always game for series that do this kind of thing.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
May 23, 2016 8:54 AM

Mar 2015
keragamming said:

I'm not saying snk is a perfect series, believe it or not somethings I don't like in it. And you haven't pointed out a single flaw for me to argue against as well.

@hoopla123 Okie.

But as I said, the villains so far have been set up badly. They really aren't as well-developed as the ones in Magi. Politics have been shoehorned into it so much it's rather disheartening to read it as a Misaka fan.

hoopla123 said:

What a secondary man. Get outta here. There's no discussion to be had with a Misaka fanboy such as yourself fam.

u wot mate? Get lost, Misaka is best girl. You're the real secondary, clinging on to shitty waifu Anne :V
May 23, 2016 8:58 AM

Apr 2013
OneTrueEmiya said:
keragamming said:

@hoopla123 Okie.

But as I said, the villains so far have been set up badly. They really aren't as well-developed as the ones in Magi. Politics have been shoehorned into it so much it's rather disheartening to read it as a Misaka fan.

hoopla123 said:

u wot mate? Get lost, Misaka is best girl. You're the real secondary, clinging on to shitty waifu Anne :V

I'm more of a Historia fanboy really.

But you wouldn't know that cuz u didn't read the manga.
May 23, 2016 9:01 AM

Mar 2015
@OneTrueEmiya argument is finish! Go home. anti-SnK plebs smh lmao

@keragamming
I'm telling you mate, if we SnK/Misaka fanboys don't unite, we're gonna get overrun by secondaries like Hoops.

hoopla123 said:
OneTrueEmiya said:

Yeah well, you obviously didn't watch the OVA.

^See that? That's Misaka frying your fav characters. Politics in SnK may not be developed well, but based Misaka was good enough to carry the show.

Though I obviously don't ship Eren x Misaka, she's too good for the brat :V
May 23, 2016 9:05 AM

Apr 2013
OneTrueEmiya said:
@OneTrueEmiya argument is finish! Go home. anti-SnK plebs smh lmao

@keragamming
I'm telling you mate, if we SnK/Misaka fanboys don't unite, we're gonna get overrun by secondaries like Hoops.

hoopla123 said:

Yeah well, you obviously didn't watch the OVA.

^See that? That's Misaka frying your fav characters. Politics in SnK may not be developed well, but based Misaka was good enough to carry the show.

Though I obviously don't ship Eren x Misaka, she's too good for the brat :V

Well the OVAs are not canon obviously.

Filthy secondary hmph
May 23, 2016 9:18 AM

Aug 2014
The way Magi implements it can be boring at times, but also quite interesting. Like the latest arc in the manga uses it quite a bit, and I would say it shows the growth of Alibaba and everyone else without being overly used to the point it's boring as hell. So uhh...depends on the execution.
May 23, 2016 9:19 AM

Jul 2014
Wait, Magi brought up a political issue?

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
May 23, 2016 9:25 AM

Mar 2014
FloatingIdiot said:
I've watched quite a few shows but none have inspired me to write a thread like Magi.

People praise Magi for bringing up certain issues that most anime doesn't touch, but in every situation I've seen, one side is pure, dark evil. Morality is presented in a way to make you not think rather than think. The "bad" side lacks a human element with which one can try to work out an understanding why they became as they did. Sometimes you get a flashback of a dark and troubled past, but the actual descent to badness just doesn't seem plausible.

Without the political stuff, I would find the show more appealing, but due to its existence it's hard not to find the world irritating.

Do other people get annoyed by stuff like this, or do you mainly just root your heroes on against the big dark evil? I wish I could do the latter without cringing, but it's just so hard.

Maybe the question I should be asking is: is it better to touch on issues in a half-assed way or would it be better to avoid them completely?

Which part in Magi's political parts is ''good vs evil'' ? The only completely evil characters in Magi are Alma Thoran, and most of the political parts we've seen had people being manipulated, those peoples aren't evil or at least not completely. . Alma Thoran is manipulating everyone but those people being manipulated are not evil, there was a reason for all the characters that did bad things, Like Magnoshtatt's leader's reasons for being ''racist'' against non mage people was explained really well. Alma Thoran is evil because :

In real life too there is always a part that is more evil than the other in political stuff ( Most of the time both are evil actually ) so it actually is realistic huh.

Now to answer your question, obviously when ''demons'' are involved there will be an evil side, that doesn't mean there can't be political stuff too.

Profile Picture and Avatar/Signature made by SenpieX, requested in this thread :https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1568530&show=0
May 23, 2016 9:36 AM

May 2015
FloatingIdiot said:

I don't get annoyed by it. Besides If you remove that element in a story then its just another run of the mill "BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF THE BADGUYS SHOW" Political maneuvers are entertaining seeing how things could turn up. Adding to that sense of morality even if its you say half-assed what matters is how it was executed during the whole ordeal.So removing that element is a NO for me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 23, 2016 10:52 PM

Jan 2014
I never saw things as being pure good or pure evil beyond the Rukh, and even then it was more a "is a set destiny a bad thing or good thing?" issue.

There were a lot of positions taken that were explained, like the Magnostadt magicians, Ream Empire and even the bloodthirsty Ren prince that becomes friends with Aladdin isn't moralized.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
May 23, 2016 11:53 PM

Jan 2015
vikki7783 said:

Dude, I'm marking your words!!!! ROOT FOR THE EVIL ONES!!!
May 24, 2016 1:02 AM

May 2015
flannan said:
I think it's better to bring up an issue and present it badly, rather than not presenting the issue at all.
Sure, TTGL isn't balanced in its presentation of cornucopian-malthusian debate. But it makes the fight a whole lot cooler than villains who are evil just because. Maybe because the heroes aren't fighting for the status quo, they fight for a specific side.

I don't think TTGL is meant to explore its issues deeply. I haven't watched it, but from what I heard it's a loony anime about beautiful violence.

When the anime is supposed to be deep but fails miserably, then it becomes annoying.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
May 24, 2016 1:15 AM

Nov 2009
TheBrainintheJar said:
flannan said:

I don't think TTGL is meant to explore its issues deeply. I haven't watched it, but from what I heard it's a loony anime about beautiful violence.

When the anime is supposed to be deep but fails miserably, then it becomes annoying.

TTGL isn't meant to explore the topic deeply. It's just that the cause of the conflict is an obscure, but real and unresolved, issue in the real world.
And I think it made the show better.
flannanMay 24, 2016 1:33 AM
May 24, 2016 8:54 AM
May 2009
One Piece in a sense pretty much already covered what Magi covers in its own way.
In a sense its probably better to be misinformed in a way that it will make you go look up on what the show was informing you about.
May 24, 2016 9:13 AM

Jul 2013
Btw guys, I take advantage to this to ask if Magi is worth watching/reading. I heard it's a really good shonen with good world building and characters, so I wanna know if I should give it a try.
May 24, 2016 9:16 AM

May 2015
Illyricus said:
Btw guys, I take advantage to this to ask if Magi is worth watching/reading. I heard it's a really good shonen with good world building and characters, so I wanna know if I should give it a try.

Yes do watch it and read the manga its very good overall and one of my favorites :) too bad right now they're pushing the author to rush things since its on the final arc. You'll be surprised of how much changed happened throughout the entire story.

Oh btw I'm surprised with you having 5k posts not even viewing magi or is it not your thing to watch alot of shounen?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 24, 2016 9:21 AM

Aug 2015
zurgboy00 said:
Illyricus said:

Yes do watch it and read the manga its very good overall and one of my favorites :) too bad right now they're pushing the author to rush things since its on the final arc. You'll be surprised of how much changed happened throughout the entire story.

Oh btw I'm surprised with you having 5k posts not even viewing magi or is it not your thing to watch alot of shounen?
Re : Is there any problem if I watch Sinbad before magi?
May 24, 2016 9:35 AM

Jul 2013
zurgboy00 said:
Illyricus said:

Thanks you for your advice, mate, I will definetely give the series a try, as you and another person have explained me how the series is and sounds interesting.

About my posts, well, I love shonens with all my soul, just that I have been watching different stuff and I haven't had time to watch Magi.
May 24, 2016 9:38 AM

May 2015
Z-Dante said:
zurgboy00 said:

Re : Is there any problem if I watch Sinbad before magi?

No there's really no problem If you watch Sinbad no bouken first. In fact its the Ideal way to watch the show since you'll be familiar with sinbad by the time you watch Magi.No more backstories to research. Though you still have to wait quite a long time till Sinbad to bouken ends its up to you whether or not you'll stick to it or just watch magi either way it won't ruin your experience even if you start with magi when watching.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 3 hours ago

11 by Spunkert »»
2 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Apr 23

25 by Gator »»
22 minutes ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Apr 22

44 by Gator »»
23 minutes ago

» Characters you like but everyone else hates. ( 1 2 )

Spunkert - May 17, 2023

51 by Gator »»
24 minutes ago

» something you dislike about your favorite character

Kenzolo-folk - Apr 22

29 by Ratris_Decision »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.