Forum Settings
Forums

Watching ongoing anime : weekly or waiting ?

New
May 20, 2016 1:10 AM

Jan 2014
If you watch ongoing anime, which way do you prefer, watch it every week or wait until the series is finished? Both have pros and cons.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 20, 2016 1:16 AM

Sep 2015
Bit of both, although I mainly pick them up whilst they're still airing. For the current season, I only watched Kabaneri as soon as it started. For everything else, I've been picking them up since 3-6 episodes have came out. So I did a bit of waiting beforehand so that there'd be a couple of episodes out; this way I'd be more easily able to remember the specific events of each anime. I'd noticed in the last season when I picked up next to everything in the first week that I'd forgotten a few of the anime completely and was somewhat confused at the second episode.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
May 20, 2016 1:21 AM

Dec 2013
Weekly as it helps me get through the week.
May 20, 2016 1:26 AM

May 2015
Depends If its something anticipated then yes. I'll definitely need to watch it weekly since I don't want to miss out on discussion in MAL for every episode other than that I don't mind waiting and then doing a marathon.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 20, 2016 1:27 AM

Jul 2013
Normally weekly, because I like the feeling of waiting for the next week to watch the next episode, and also because it makes me enjoy more the anime, as marathoning it can make me finish the series qickñy if I find it interesting.
May 20, 2016 1:27 AM

May 2015
Weekly if I want to keep up with the discussions.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 20, 2016 1:35 AM

Oct 2014
I don't feel like typing something this elaborate again, so here's a repost.

zombie_pegasus said:
I don't usually bother with new stuff unless I watch it while it's airing. If I want to watch anime that's already complete there are plenty of those already so I don't need to wait for airing anime to finish before I can watch it. Watching anime as it's airing gives a sense of community, like how we all complained about One Punch Man being overrated. There are several moe anime airing this coming season and although there are plenty of completed moe anime that I haven't seen yet, I still want to watch the new ones while they're airing because that's part of the fun. You can brag about having watched masterpieces while they aired or complain about watching the sludge from the bottom of the garbage can while it aired. If you watched it right after it was done then your experience will be similar to someone who saw it a year after it aired.

I had another interesting conversation around this topic, but I can't find it (I wish MAL organized repeat threads for easy access to the information contained within them).
May 20, 2016 1:52 AM

Jan 2013
I watch anime when it's already finished because otherwise I easily forget aspects of the show and how I feel about it and I can't score it properly when it finishes airing. 3-6 months are too long for me to watch one anime. Episodic comedies are exception and I sometimes watch them weekly (but usually I just can't keep up because I forget to watch episode every week). Sometimes when a show is really hyped and I'm curious about it I will watch it weekly too, but I will probably wait until there is already 3/4 or 2/3 of it out.
May 20, 2016 1:54 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
When you've still got plenty of old must-watch anime left on your to-do list, focus on those instead of bothering with weekly stuff. Once you've gotten that out of the way, transition to watching weekly instead

My two cents
May 20, 2016 2:03 AM

Feb 2016
3 months for 4h watching? nah.. I always wait for the anime is finished, so i can watch it and notice every details that can be lost in weeks of waiting..
May 20, 2016 2:09 AM

Mar 2016
Depende what type of anime it is, if its like re:zero with clifhangers every FUCKING time them i Wait until the arc he is now its done.
The others i watch weekly

May 20, 2016 2:11 AM
May 2016
Weekly so I don't have to keep avoiding spoilers.
May 20, 2016 2:13 AM

Dec 2012
I watch them weekly. I find it easier as I can judge the bad from the good.
May 20, 2016 2:17 AM

Jun 2015
I like to see myself suffer so I watch them weekly.
May 20, 2016 2:21 AM

Apr 2015
It's meant to be watched weekly so I do so, but especially in originals discussions here or anywhere are too good to not watch them weekly

Having said that I usually don't participate in fights on episode threads here but still yeah
May 20, 2016 2:24 AM

Jul 2015
If its an anime I like i cant wait until the anime is finished i have to watch it every week ! :c
May 20, 2016 2:27 AM
The Priest Esser

Nov 2011
If I can't watch it weekly chances are I wont be able to marathon it all. Watching it weekly helps me finish even mediocre stuff.
idk why I was here but I'm prob back to playing Dragon's Dogma 2 again when you read this

May 20, 2016 2:28 AM

Oct 2014
HaXXspetten said:
When you've still got plenty of old must-watch anime left on your to-do list, focus on those instead of bothering with weekly stuff. Once you've gotten that out of the way, transition to watching weekly instead

My two cents
For whatever weird reason I tend to avoid watching must-watch anime and instead gravitate towards anime that no one gives a shit about. It might have something to do with either my ADD, my OCD, or my autism that makes me avoid stuff that other people hate on which makes anime that no one talks about more appealing to me, whether consciously or subconsciously. I've also generally had bad experiences with must-watch anime so naturally the ones I haven't seen yet will not get a high priority on the plan to watch, if any at all. I have Attack on Titan in my PTW but I've been somewhat planning to watch that since before I even got into anime so it's been collecting metaphorical dust for about two years now. I don't know if I'll ever watch it but if I do I probably won't be going into it expecting to enjoy it. I prefer run-of-the-mill moe seasonals over high prestige anime partly because I won't feel like I'm losing anything if I don't enjoy them while I will have everything to gain if they happen to actually be good.
zombie_pegasusMay 20, 2016 2:32 AM
May 20, 2016 2:34 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
zombie_pegasus said:
HaXXspetten said:

My two cents
For whatever weird reason I tend to avoid watching must-watch anime and instead gravitate towards anime that no one gives a shit about. It might have something to do with either my ADD, my OCD, or my autism that makes me avoid stuff that other people hate on which makes anime that no one talks about more appealing to me, whether consciously or subconsciously. I've also generally had bad experiences with must-watch anime so naturally the ones I haven't seen yet will not get a high priority on the plan to watch, if any at all. I have Attack on Titan in my PTW but I've been somewhat planning to watch that since before I even got into anime so it's been collecting metaphorical dust for about two years now. I don't know if I'll ever watch it but if I do I probably won't be going into it expecting to enjoy it.
Well must-watch for you specifically I mean. Like if there's a show airing in the current season that you're interested in, but there are also 10 other really similar ones that you're also interested in that have already finished... why bother spending your time on having to wait a whole week between every episode by picking the new one first instead of starting with the older ones? Then by the time you've gotten through those, the new one might have finished airing as well. Etcetera. It's just a lot more practical that way

Only real reason to watch airing anime if your backlog is still full is if you really like discussing the new shows with your friends and stuff
May 20, 2016 2:36 AM

Apr 2014
Pretty much 99% of the ongoing anime that I do watch, I watch weekly, although there are exceptions.
May 20, 2016 2:43 AM

Jan 2016
I wait until it is finished and binge-watch/marathon it. I find that the best way to watch stuff.

I won't sacrifice that for the sake of discussion(which is the only thing going for watching weekly) .
May 20, 2016 2:44 AM

Oct 2014
HaXXspetten said:
zombie_pegasus said:
For whatever weird reason I tend to avoid watching must-watch anime and instead gravitate towards anime that no one gives a shit about. It might have something to do with either my ADD, my OCD, or my autism that makes me avoid stuff that other people hate on which makes anime that no one talks about more appealing to me, whether consciously or subconsciously. I've also generally had bad experiences with must-watch anime so naturally the ones I haven't seen yet will not get a high priority on the plan to watch, if any at all. I have Attack on Titan in my PTW but I've been somewhat planning to watch that since before I even got into anime so it's been collecting metaphorical dust for about two years now. I don't know if I'll ever watch it but if I do I probably won't be going into it expecting to enjoy it.
Well must-watch for you specifically I mean. Like if there's a show airing in the current season that you're interested in, but there are also 10 other really similar ones that you're also interested in that have already finished... why bother spending your time on having to wait a whole week between every episode by picking the new one first instead of starting with the older ones? Then by the time you've gotten through those, the new one might have finished airing as well. Etcetera. It's just a lot more practical that way

Only real reason to watch airing anime if your backlog is still full is if you really like discussing the new shows with your friends and stuff
Ok, that makes sense. However, you're still spending the same amount of time on them so you could just as easily watch the finished ones while also keeping up with the seasonals (provided you didn't pick up too many; 3 or 4 seasonals is easy to keep up with). The type of show is important, slice of life anime are much easier to watch seasonally while action shows are quite obviously intended to be watched once a week but are easier to take in at a faster pace. There are some anime that would feel weird to watch once a week, though. I can't imagine watching Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 over three months seeing as the story takes place over four days.
May 20, 2016 2:49 AM

Nov 2013
I used to be a weekly watcher until I became a binge-watcher.

The problem with watching an ongoing anime is that you have no idea if the show is going to be any good so it's a bit of a crap-shoot.

For the past year or so, I've been just waiting until the seasons finish, then I add all the best titles to my plan to watch list. That way I don't end up dropping so many anime like I used to.

May 20, 2016 3:00 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
zombie_pegasus said:
HaXXspetten said:

Ok, that makes sense. However, you're still spending the same amount of time on them so you could just as easily watch the finished ones while also keeping up with the seasonals (provided you didn't pick up too many; 3 or 4 seasonals is easy to keep up with). The type of show is important, slice of life anime are much easier to watch seasonally while action shows are quite obviously intended to be watched once a week but are easier to take in at a faster pace. There are some anime that would feel weird to watch once a week, though. I can't imagine watching Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 over three months seeing as the story takes place over four days.
Yeah of course, it depends on how much time you're willing to dedicate overall
May 20, 2016 3:12 AM

May 2014
I like watching airing series and somehow I feel more motivated to watch weekly episodes since I'm not always feeling like binge watching an entire show.
May 20, 2016 3:32 AM

Jan 2008
Seems like most people who don't want to watch weekly don't have the memory to do so. Is it really that hard for some? Weird.
May 20, 2016 3:43 AM

Feb 2016
Tv series are different cause there are many seasons but an anime is better to watch it in one go.. It s like a film.. 4h you can do it in 2 days max
May 20, 2016 3:47 AM

Apr 2015
Weekly, it makes my days so much better...And when it's over it hurts more too...
May 20, 2016 4:07 AM

Mar 2016
Since I don't pick up more than 2-3 shows at once, I prefer to wait for the sake of watching them in one run. So I'll wait until it has finished.
May 20, 2016 4:58 AM

Sep 2015
I watch maybe one or two airing shows weekly and wait for the rest, but usually I forget about them and they go on-hold for eternity
May 20, 2016 5:02 AM

Jul 2015
DmonHiro said:
Seems like most people who don't want to watch weekly don't have the memory to do so. Is it really that hard for some? Weird.

is not about forgetting the events
is just boring to wait 1 week for 20 min
May 20, 2016 5:11 AM

Apr 2015
I do a bit of both really. It depends on the type of anime AND number of episodes. If it's a thriller/mystery, I tend to wait for it to finish (kabaneri is an exception for this since it got me very hooked). If it's a comedy or any type that doesn't really end with cliffhangers I watch weekly
For the number of episodes, I can only wait for anime that have 13 or less eps to finish, I can't wait 6 monthes for a 25 ep anime to finish so I can binge it, a perfect example of this would be jojo. As much as I loved binge watching the previous parts, I can't imagine myslef waiting for about 39 weeks
May 20, 2016 5:13 AM

Dec 2015
Always weekly. That's why I can watch a lof ot stuff. Watching 6-10 series most of the time each airing season. (Sometimes even more.) I know for some hardcore otakus who watch even more this seems not a lot.

But for me it is a lot. And I try to select only the stuff I might like cause of limited time and I don't want to waste my time. (That's why I score the shows high often.)

If I waited until it was finished and tried watching all the episodes of some shows in 2-3 days (per show) I might get really bored with most of the 7 ... even some 8 (my score) shows. There might not be much left - only the 9 and 10 which are rare. I'd probably watch only max 2-3 shows each season.

And I might do this if I have less free time and not feeling bad about it but for now I have enough time and that's why I want to use it every day when I have that time to watch weekly when the episode are gettin aired. But since most shows get aired Friday till Sunday (only 2 showas I watch are available with subs at Monday, Tuesday) I don' always watch all of it immediately at the weekend. Watching it during the following week during weekdays.
May 20, 2016 5:21 AM
Jul 2018
I prefer to watch weekly, since I have to do a lot of stuff in real life. That way I can watch lots of series at the same time while also taking care of the irl business.
May 20, 2016 6:37 AM

Apr 2015
I binge shows with too many cliffhangers.That or I think the show is really good after a few episodes since I prefer waiting for them to end.
(of course there are shows I watch weekly though)
May 21, 2016 2:56 AM

May 2015
I'll wait until it's done and binge watch.

Watching an episode a week knocks me out of the plot.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
May 21, 2016 3:53 AM

Jan 2015
Usually weekly though some series like Sakamoto I prefer to binge watch while others like Mayoiga I need to watch weekly otherwise my IQ will drop if I watch too may episodes in a short amount of time.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
May 22, 2016 10:42 AM

Aug 2015
I'm suffering so i don't get spoiled.
I prefer to watch it at once but the half of my class watches anime so i have pretty much no chance since i get spoiled every time at school.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Art is never finished, only abandoned.
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

~ Leonardo da Vinci
May 22, 2016 11:31 AM

Aug 2014
I usually have 8-9 airing shows I follow on a weekly basis, while I have some others for when they finished airing. Btw don't we have this thread every damn week?
May 22, 2016 11:36 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
I watch 15 to 20 shows a season, if I waited itd be a bitch to catch up lpl

I do sometimes marathon a few that I didn't watch weekly once the season is over tho
May 22, 2016 12:01 PM

Dec 2015
Weeelllp, sometimes I watch an anime halfway when it's airing due to how lazy or exceedingly busy I can be, and sometimes, I can be really behind. I still need to watch 2 more episodes of Mayoiga, 1 episode of Joker game, All the episodes of Big Order (Except episode one), 6 episodes of Hundred, 7 episodes of Boku no hero academia, all the episodes of Tanaka-san and all the episodes of Re:Zero (I stopped halfway on the first episode because it was boring AF)

Typically, I watch ongoing anime weekly, only when I've very free however. School is consistently distracting me from watching anime and my end of year exams are yet to come soon. Sometimes, when a lot of people are overhyping and constantly advocating me a popular ongoing anime, I tend to not watch it and leave it still it's finished, then when the hype goes down, I binge it so I can just get over it and see what all the previous "hype" was about. (Example being Erased and OPM)
Cinnamon_PrammaMay 22, 2016 1:59 PM
Why yu gettin' cheeky? (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
May 22, 2016 12:04 PM

Jul 2012
Mostly weekly, with the exception of ecchi, horror, or short series that are less than 8 minutes per episode.
May 22, 2016 12:05 PM

Apr 2015
I watch 1 anime at a time, and never watched unfinished shows.
binge watching is the way of life.
May 22, 2016 12:34 PM

Mar 2016
I think SoL anime are best watched weekly. But currently i watch all shows i picked up weekly too cause I don't mind waiting for a week and don't have a hard time remembering what happed previous episodes . Plus i feel more excited if it's weekly. I might get lazy and let some episodes stack up .
May 22, 2016 1:16 PM
Jul 2018
Whenever I stop watching weekly for some reason I just forget to pick it back up entirely. Look at my list and you'll see things from years ago.

I started watching Toradora when it started airing EIGHT years ago and I still haven't finished it.
May 22, 2016 1:30 PM

Feb 2013
Weekly. Tho it sometimes interferes with schoolwork ,so lately I've at least started being really picky about what I add to the weekly schedule... It's summer right now, so I went overboard, but last season I was down to one show! Progress.
May 22, 2016 1:36 PM

Jan 2016
Rather marathon than wait. But I do both.
May 22, 2016 1:37 PM

Aug 2007
It depends on the anime. If its interesting, I prefer to wait. This for to watch 2 or 3 episodes in a row. But most of times, I can wait.
May 22, 2016 5:01 PM

May 2016
The last time I watched an anime week-to-week, it was goddamn Inuyasha.

Never. Again.

EDIT: Actually, I tell a lie--the last anime I watched week-to-week was Unlimited Blade Works. But that's because it's ufotable. ufotable are above reproach and adolescent trauma.
ZelkiiroMay 22, 2016 5:23 PM

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
May 22, 2016 5:08 PM

Jun 2009
i'm a forgetful person so i never remember to watch the next week. it's easier for me to watch them all in one go. As an example, I was watching Haikyuu which i was extremely excited for but then I forgot one week and now it sits in my currently watching list at 11 episodes tho i'm not currently watching it. (But now that I've mentioned it, maybe it's time to go and finish it since it's finished now...)
Net Content 19.6 FL. OZ. (580 ml)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is the Waifu Culture dead nowadays?

Dragevard - 25 minutes ago

2 by DinoNo1 »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

66 by WatchTillTandava »»
5 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

56 by NightVampire »»
15 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

60 by FanofAction »»
33 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - 9 hours ago

19 by SgtBateMan »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.