Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Durarara!! (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]
Dec 19, 2016 10:06 AM

Apr 2014
Nakura tricked Magenta into a suicide. Thanks to the headless rider, Magenta is alive.

However, the first half of the episode was totally boring. And the second half was pretty much this:

Kiayin said:
That was an embarassingly simplistic way they chose to deal with a heavy theme such as suicide. As if that kind of half-assed empty speech and a one-liner that sounds like it's been borrowed from a motivational meme would convince anyone who's seriously considering taking their life. The dude in black was such a massive cliche, I don't even have it in me to roll my eyes. Disappointing episode.
Jan 22, 2017 3:00 AM
Jul 2016
Anyone else catch the Shana reference, "they got a continuous dual with the flame haze..." that was cool.
Feb 1, 2017 10:32 AM

Mar 2016
Please more Izaya . Anyways, I think I'll enjoy this . It's somehow similar to one of my favorite anime .
Aug 19, 2017 12:53 PM
Mar 2016
this is so....not for me. dropped
Feb 20, 2018 12:58 PM

Jan 2013
Strange way of dealing with suicide in this episode.
Anyway, glad we got a bit more information as to what the hell was happening last episode.
Feb 28, 2018 2:46 AM

Sep 2017
Like the first episode, the second episode also has terrible bgm. Good sound editing.

The plot is okay. I don't understand how the kidnapped girl's hairstyle changed. She confused me with the glasses girl. Also, the philosophy was okay in this episode. I never really got what they were trying to say. I don't understand how the girl could just forgive her family. But suicide is a bad step to take. I didn't understand the email crazy guy's intentions to kidnap her, just for sake for understanding emotions.

This episode was meh. I hope they have something concrete in stone by the next episode.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Apr 21, 2018 5:50 PM

Mar 2018
This episode was great. Not at all what I expected after the first episode. Can't wait to watch more. 5/5
Oct 21, 2018 9:19 AM

Nov 2015
Is this show really attempting to handwave adultery?
✧༝┉˚*❋ ❋*˚┉༝✧

鼻をくすぐるGunpowder & Smoke
ジャララ飛び交うEmpty gun cartridges
紅いヒールに見惚れて うっかり風穴欲しいヤツは 挙手をしな

・゚✧*:・゚✧ 🍰 ଘ(੭*ˊᵕˋ)੭* ੈ♡‧₊˚

✧༝┉˚*❋ ❋*˚┉༝✧

Jul 15, 2019 12:18 AM
Mar 2019
I personally loved this episode. Maybe I'm just weird, but Rio is easily my favorite character in the series. Why? Because it shows that even the minor characters have a story to tell and that Izaya is more than happy to manipulate others emotions, no matter who they are.

Okay, why I really like her is what she went through. This might just because of my own personal experiences regarding my parents (though my situation is much different than Rio's), but I like how she was open to go into detail on what she saw, as she comes across someone going through the same situation as her. And until that point, she was convinced that she wanted to end her life with him that is until she was kidnapped, learned how the world really works, and got one hell of a wake-up call. Even when she was kidnapped, she didn't feel all that bothered, showing that she was callously awaiting her fate. And when it was revealed that the person she was texting with before was the same person who set up the whole thing from the start. Another thing is that, there's an interesting lesson to be learned throughout all this.
People keep secrets, everyone tells a white lie now and then, and that the world isn't entirely awful in spite of that. As another reference to my personal life, I've gone through a depressing state around that age myself, the whole "me against the world" angle that generally devolved into simply looking mopey and disinterested in public and having nihilistic thoughts. But sometimes people figure out that not everything is a rainy day. People find their own silver lining.

When Celty saved Rio from jumping off a building, Rio asks why, to which she replies with, "Because the world isn't as bad as you think." And that right there, is why I love this episode. Everybody has secrets (some more juicy than others), and everyone lies, something Rio probably should've learned a long time ago but seeing what Izaya was willing to do made me appreciate this character a lot more, despite not having any real plot relevance to the overall story.

And to offset this depressing wall text, I'd like to comment that Rio looks cute. I especially like her outfit, consisting of a white jacket and maroon shirt. All ost reminds me of what Téa (Anzu) wore in season four of Yu-Gi-Oh.

So, in conclusion: Great Episode, Cute Character.
Aug 3, 2019 7:10 PM

Feb 2019
This was some of the finest story telling and psychological exploration I've seen in a long time.

And when the headless rider saved her from committing suicide, I actually got goosebumps. The way they showed him activating his powers was awesome.
I am not a weeb, I simply enjoy 2D girls
Aug 12, 2019 6:45 AM

May 2016
That dude must be Izaya because he's the most dangerous person introduced yet and that includes the Headless Rider herself. The guy must've had all the time in the world if he was able to befriend a random depressed girl online, have her kidnapped and saved all at the same night just so he can psychologically mess with her. He read her like an open book and if it weren't for the lovely shadow biker lady, she would've been just another one of the poor souls that most definitely danced on that man's hand like a puppet until the end.

Feb 16, 2020 2:43 AM
Apr 2019
Tremendously better than episode one.

No use of inner monologues or text communication (in the way used previously) to convey plot details. Instead, a narrator is employed in the (passive!) second person to provide glimpses into the characters' minds without revealing direct thoughts.

The characters suddenly have a ton more depth, especially the "transporter." What was made out to be a vigilante is turned on its head to be an employed 'monster' who sometimes goes out of their way to do the right thing. Whether this is going to be done in a standard way like Punisher, etc. remains to be seen. I'm hoping for some departures from that general character model.

I also worry how the powers of this character are going to play a part moving forward; will they face genuine difficulties that don't seem contrived. Hopefully the limits of the anti-hero are established early and aren't introduced in a cheesy way like kryptonite.

Music choice was just stellar, especially the rooftop scene. The freestyle jazz bass was amazing.

There is a lot to digest from a mere three minute scene: what was the information broker's goals? Is he just looking to cause chaos and see people be hurt for fun? Does he have a goal he sees as virtuous that we still don't understand? Further, why did the girl decide to jump? The ambiguity presented surrounding whether she did it to spite the broker or whether she was genuinely acting on pent up desire that needed a breaking point is super compelling. However, unsure how I feel about the transporter suddenly changing her life from a mere sentence. Seems a bit cheesy.

All in all, 4/5.
Apr 23, 2020 10:51 PM

Feb 2018
Shizuo is so funny, lol.
May 2, 2020 4:41 AM

Nov 2018
Generic chaotic neutral ENTP character...
ZevvenMay 2, 2020 6:16 AM
I hate everyone equally
May 6, 2020 4:32 AM

Apr 2013
Lot of scenes we had already seen, I was surprised the protagonist almost didn't appear at all.
Aug 12, 2020 12:14 PM
Jul 2020
i really didn’t like this episode that much, the reactions and emotions of the characters were so unrealistic. the girl gets kidnapped, then saved by a random person on a motorbike and taken to another location and not once does she question the intentions or identity of anyone she meets that night. then the guy who suddenly appears and admits to have been playing with her and manipulating her for his own entertainment and yet he’s met with the same almost emotionless response from her. i liked the general idea and message, just not the execution of it.
Dec 9, 2020 3:19 PM

May 2016
The story telling is awesome, I'm enchanted by it and the ED IS SO FKN LIT >_<
Jun 11, 2021 5:02 AM

Aug 2017
So, every character have their own story tied into to a bigger story. "The world is not as cruel as you take it to be", I don't agree but anyway, I'm loving the structure so far.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 5, 2021 3:01 AM

May 2020
Story telling reminding me of those Bacanno days, been a long time since i watched. So yeah good to have that same style again.
Jun 8, 2022 3:28 AM

Feb 2021
That poor girl. Her father cheated on her mom. If any kid finds this they would be in a moral dilemma.

That scientist somehow knows the mystery biker. Maybe he helped her get those shadow powers?

Also, that mysterious overcoat guy who claims to be Nakura seems to be the biker's employer or smth? I wonder if he's human. The way he talks is as if he's some kinda superior being.

The mysterious biker saved Magenta from committing suicide.

What's going on with the glasses girl and the "I don't wanna go to school" guy? Couple quarrel?

Jul 31, 2022 3:40 AM
Apr 2017
Still slow and boring so far. Azaya seems like he might be a decent character. When is it supposed to become good?
Aug 11, 2022 12:18 PM

May 2018
So the biker is a girl. Pretty sombre episode
Sep 1, 2022 9:11 AM
Aug 2022
best best best best anime episode
Sep 12, 2022 9:57 AM

Mar 2020
I didn't liked Izaya on the manga version, but seeing him on the anime (and voiced by Hiroshi Kamiya) made me get some Monogatari vibes. Loved it

Only you can save yourself.
I only know what I know, I guess?
Yuri enjoyer and El Cazador de la Bruja fan
Nov 4, 2022 9:14 PM
Apr 2020
It was good and I enjoyed it.
Nov 30, 2022 3:07 PM
May 2020
bro stopped her from committing suicide in the worst possible way. lol
Nov 30, 2022 5:50 PM
Mar 2020
This show has me constantly wondering what the next is going to hold.
Mar 21, 2023 1:45 PM

Feb 2018
This already seems like its going to be quite the unusual story going forward.
Giving us a little peak as to how the events of the first episode occurred was nice I guess.
Oct 17, 2023 11:40 PM
Oct 2023
made me very confused
Nov 5, 2023 5:12 AM
Jul 2017
complete nonsense episode, holy moly

also why zoom in on a TEENAGE girl's overdeveloped boobs and legs? that teacher is prolly a pedo so that will come up.

2 more ep before I drop this trash and give it a 1
Feb 25, 1:21 PM

Jan 2008
That guy was a dick lol, he gave the girl even more traumatic experiences that she really did not need.

Contrary to the opinions earlier in this thread, I thought the episode's depiction of adultery quite mature for an anime. Real life is not as simple as a cheating husband and father being instantly kicked out of existence when they're caught. Life is more complicated than that. Perhaps the mother didn't want the chaos it would cause her daughter to divorce the guy, maybe she literally can't afford to live without him, maybe she's sleeping on the side herself, maybe she just didn't want their status quo to shatter so pretended it wasn't happening, who knows. The whole situation was a profound eye-opening experience for the teenage girl, her parents are not perfect anymore, they're just normal fallible people, who in the grand scheme of things aren't evil or anything, so easy to forgive for their petty sins.

Also, a random detail, but this episode depicts how real life Japanese view infidelity too, which is why Japan's declining birth rate is so paradoxical. Japanese couples aren't having enough sex, yet at the same time, guys sleep around outside of marriage a lot, and in some respects it's tolerated more than other cultures. (i.e - sex with a sex worker is technically 'not cheating' for some)
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

katzenjammer - Feb 18, 2010

299 by Kurkitos »»
Feb 5, 6:31 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kirika- - May 27, 2010

205 by dr_hydrangea »»
Jan 31, 4:32 AM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Usami-Haru - Mar 18, 2010

455 by ryzxgum »»
Jan 19, 11:09 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Rail_Tracer - Mar 31, 2010

336 by 2life »»
Nov 29, 2023 3:27 AM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

katzenjammer - Jan 28, 2010

276 by 2life »»
Nov 26, 2023 5:51 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.