Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 19, 2016 9:25 AM

Mar 2016
Hello there!

Well, it's been a little while since I joined MAL (rough about 2 months ago), but I think it would be nice to introduce myself properly to you.
I am Lisa, but you can call me Schlopsi as well. The nickname I use here is my nickname in RL (an abbreviation of my last name), just in case you were wondering how someone would come up with a strange name like that. I'm 23 years old and from Germany, so please bear with my english. It's been a while since my days back in school... but I will try my best to comfort you showing the will to improve my writing skills (does this sentence even make sense?!). But enough the chatter.

I started watching anime in elementary school, when my cousin introduced me to this specific art form, which I really enjoyed back then. It wasn't neither the usual shonen-stuff like Naruto, DB or One Piece, nor Pokemon or Digimon. Tbh, it was all that stuff a little girl shouldn't have seen at young age. So my first impression of anime was kind of bloody and gory, when we watched X - The Movie together. And jeez, it was so cool!
Being too young to care about anime shows for myself, I just watched with my cousin stuff on Free TV, mostly at night. So the first anime I watched quite regularly where X, Noir and Hellsing; last of it being also my first manga I ever read (a few years later tough). These shows still stuck to me to this very day and they fill me up with nostalgia. Like their soundtracks, which sparked an interesting in music and especially soundtracks (I still suck at learning piano btw...). So Yuki Kajiura was the first anime composer I learned to appreciate. Evoking special moods, feelings and images in my head fitting to the scenerie with quite some simple Melodies. Amazing enough though.

Anyway. With a few intermissions from anime over the years, I once started Death Note, which really impressed me by it's deeply psychological thriller elements. Rushing through the series, it was cool, but nothing to get me fully hooked on anime again. Didn't bother about it anyway, because interests laid more in movies than tv shows.

So, finally we are in the year 2015, two years after the massive hype about Shingeki no Kyojin, even in non-anime circles. Still not impressed by the plot and/or the style (gruesome titans eating humans in a middle-aged like setting?). Wow. Not.cool.at.all. my inner voice told me. But for some reason (my interest in movies was on a high at that time and so it where for tv shows, etc....) I really wanted to know what everyone was still talking about. What was it that got people hooked? You bet what followed... While watching the show being annoyed by that naive and stubborn mc, it somehow attracted me. Yes, the show isn't flawless, but it felt immersive given that specific setting. And that was the reason I finally joined MAL. It completely overwhelmed me, how great anime can be. How diverse and unchained the stories can turn and so on and on. It got me even hooked on japanese culture, even though it's not the classical Japan themed story... nevermind.

So, here I am lurking all over the site to find some shows fitting my interests. Yes, my ptw-list is long and picked with great great shows. I know that. But I have that strange quirk, to put the good stuff on hold for an uncertain amount of time. Sounds stupid, even I know that. Anyhow, let's say the good stuff's still ahead of me.

That's it from my side. Feel free to ask whatever you want. Drop me a message or recommend an anime you think I should watch.
Have a nice day!
May 19, 2016 9:28 AM

Jun 2014
May 19, 2016 9:32 AM

Dec 2013
Welcome to MAL!
I'm born in 93 as well =).
May 19, 2016 9:37 AM

Mar 2016
Thanks for your welcoming!
Always had the problem to write waaay too much about anything. Sorry ;)
Yeah, high five for the 93s!
May 19, 2016 9:41 AM

Jan 2015
Welcome to MAL, friendo. Enjoy your stay!
May 19, 2016 9:55 AM
Jul 2018
Oh my, that's a really impressive introduction..!
But it was very enjoyable to read your thoughts
(because yeah, I actually read the whole thing :D).
Your English is totally OK, as well as your writing skills,
so no need to worry anymore.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed your first two month in here
& can't wait to see you around on forums soon C:
May 19, 2016 11:44 AM
Jul 2018
Welcome to MAL! ^^
May 19, 2016 11:50 AM
Jul 2018
Welcome to MAL and the community. ^^
May 19, 2016 12:52 PM
Community Mod
ウェルカムチーム™

Feb 2014
Hey, welcome to MAL :D

GUIDELINES/FAQ
AD/MD RULES
CD RULES
CE RULES
STAFF
SET BY SENPIEX
May 19, 2016 1:33 PM
May 19, 2016 1:34 PM

Jul 2014
Ohh~ what a long intro. xD
And your English wasn't a problem at all, so no worries there.
Anyway, welcome to the MAL forums! ヾ(^∇^)
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
May 19, 2016 2:47 PM
Apr 2015
Welcome to MAL and forums Lisa!
May 19, 2016 2:49 PM

Mar 2016
No half measures guys. :P
Thank you all! Very kind of you. :)
May 19, 2016 2:57 PM

Jun 2015
Awesome introduction, enjoy your stay here Lisa.
May 19, 2016 4:27 PM

Dec 2015
Welcome to MAL!! I hope you enjoy your stay here, you have a great taste in anime. I love psychological anime too.
May 19, 2016 10:37 PM

Aug 2015
quite the lengthy introduction.... ^^'

Welcome to MAL and it's forums, enjoy them to your heart's content!
May 20, 2016 12:18 AM

Jun 2015
Welcome to MAL & forum :)
Feel free to add :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 20, 2016 2:25 PM

Jan 2016
Schlopsi said:

Always had the problem to write waaay too much about anything. Sorry ;)
Lol imo you didn't have an introduction that was way too long. It was about right, not too long, not too short and it tells us about why anime piqued your curiosity.

Also your English is perfectly fine, better than mine, as is your vocabulary. Well, I myself is born in Sweden and learned English in Greenland, so not too sure how well my English even is...

I can tell by your introduction that you seem to be the type to criticise anime quite a bit, dunno, just my impression? I'm more loose in that way, I watch anime solely for the enjoyment, not looking at e.g. subtle messages, symbols and generally just analyse the anime, if I can call it that. The environment doesn't really matter in my case as well, because it's anime. You'll see guys from the future teleporting to edo Japan, flying cats, people with OP abilities and much more. That's what I like about the anime, they diverse from common knowledge.

Oh boy, at first I was just going to type a "welcome to MAL" post, but I somehow got consumed by your introduction. However I didn't type as much as you did :p

Anyway, welcome to MAL and I surely do hope you'll enjoy your time here, seeing you mainly used to like movies, I bet you'll enjoy Studio Ghibli films, unless they weren't something for you. Definitely try Omoide no Marnie a watch.
May 20, 2016 2:26 PM

Mar 2016
Welcome to MyAnimeList, Schlopsi!

Hope you have a great time here!

If you have any questions or just want to chat click the envelope in the right corner. Don't be afraid to ask anything (〃^▽^〃)
May 21, 2016 7:09 AM

Mar 2016
Misaka said:

I can tell by your introduction that you seem to be the type to criticise anime quite a bit, dunno, just my impression?

You totally nailed it. Yes, I do. But I am still able to enjoy well written shows and/or comedystuff. It just needs to hit a nerve. :)
Besides the fact that I currently study film science I am writing quite loose about films on my blog as well, which I run for little more than two years now (as a hobby). Given that, I learned to know pretty precisely of what I can expect from sth, what could have been improved etc. It evolved my perspective while writing about all of this.
So yeah, I can be picky about aspects that ruin a strong fundament of a show imo. Also I can be very happy with sth, that knows what it wants to be and how it wants to show it off. I.e. Free! was enjoyable, because it didn't want to be that super dramatic thingy, which it could have been (and probably messed it up this way). Just my opinion though.

PS: Your English is great as well! No need to worry about it. :)
SchlopsiMay 21, 2016 8:46 AM
May 21, 2016 7:11 AM

May 2015
That is one long introduction. Kudos for that.

Anyway, welcome to the community and forums. I hope you'll have a good time~

May 21, 2016 7:18 AM

Dec 2009
Welcome to mal, your english was fine to me, even better and more effort put into than mine and it's my only language lol.

Yuki Kajiura is <3, so many good soundtracks produced like Kara no Kyoukai and Pandora Hearts.. I could go on forever.
May 21, 2016 3:04 PM

Apr 2014
Welcome to the forums ヾ(〃^∇^)ノ '
May 22, 2016 8:57 AM

Jan 2016
@Schlopsi I see, well we each have our unique way to enjoy watching anime, if you're content with it, it's all good. I pretty much enjoy all kinds of anime, but I just prefer new anime, from year 2005+
Planning to work with something related to movies in the future? You say it's a hobby, but you seem really captivated by it, studying films that is.
May 23, 2016 5:39 AM

Oct 2013
dats alot of letters&numbers anyways hello, welcomeee

"Hello."

More topics from this board

» Hello

fdasfdsadsa - 4 hours ago

1 by Serafos »»
4 hours ago

» Hello everyone!

Palash_6 - 10 hours ago

24 by omorashi »»
5 hours ago

» HI

Mehwish_999 - Apr 20

10 by Mehwish_999 »»
6 hours ago

» no longer lurking, always happy to befriend somebody!

not-perfect - Yesterday

11 by Konan_Edogawa_ »»
7 hours ago

» introduce my activity

loligoth666 - Apr 22

8 by Rinrinka »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.