Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (22) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
May 15, 2016 2:54 PM

Feb 2012
This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the episode.
May 15, 2016 2:55 PM

Mar 2010
LoneWizard said:
Jagd84 said:

She should actually be called the Witch of Envy, but CR has fairly lackluster translation for this series unfortunately.
Wat?Why?Envy and jealousy are same things as far as i know?

Ugh, if I say anymore it will be spoilers. Let's just say it will make sense later.
May 15, 2016 2:58 PM

Apr 2014
Great fucking episode! I was already expecting him to die voluntarily, but to actually jump of a cliff was pretty cool. Also, the ponytail scene was epic!
May 15, 2016 2:59 PM

Jul 2012
I died a little bit while Subaru crying in a total breakdown.. WHY SUBARU IS SUFFERING?!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 15, 2016 2:59 PM

Jan 2014
Hongu said:
"My heart belongs to Emilia-tan!"
20 minutes later...
"I love you both, Ram and Rem!"

Even in death, Subaru can only think with his dick. What a dumbass.
He didnt mean it that way...He is nnot talking about a romantic love there,he didnt confess to anyone there lol so calm down ;)

Anyone would suspect the guy who just entered the mansion and didnt talk to anyone for 4 days until their sister die...Since her sister is probably the only reason she is living she probably doesnt give a fuck to the damage she gaev to the mansion =_=
May 15, 2016 3:02 PM

Dec 2015
That was intense episode and I feel the intense, great job white fox.
May 15, 2016 3:03 PM

Jul 2015
L-Ryoshi said:
[Dude, what shaman are you talking about? When was it mentioned that a shaman placed the curse on Balls? In any case, did he even TRY to think of a way to get his story across besides speaking about it? Even he doesn't know how the curse works. He could have kept trying.

? I think you are confusing certain things. The "Shaman" (I don't know whether the term was used in the anime) is the magic user, who casted the curse on Subaru, which probably killed him in episode 4 and affected him in episode 5. We don't know whether he or the witch are the same, but what we know is that a curse from this person could kill him. So he should investigatethe Shaman rather than the witch first to get out of this loop.
Re:Zero nice troll ending.
May 15, 2016 3:05 PM

Apr 2014
LoneWizard said:
Hongu said:
20 minutes later...

He didnt mean it that way...He is nnot talking about a romantic love there,he didnt confess to anyone there lol so calm down ;)

Anyone would suspect the guy who just entered the mansion and didnt talk to anyone for 4 days until their sister die...Since her sister is probably the only reason she is living she probably doesnt give a fuck to the damage she gaev to the mansion =_=

What other way could he have possibly meant it? It's obvious he's not talking a bout familial love, since he spent the last episode fawning over them. He clearly just wants to fuck them even after all the terrible torture they've put him through. That makes absolutely no sense, especially since he spent literally every other episode fawning over Emilia.
May 15, 2016 3:09 PM

Apr 2015
L-Ryoshi said:
Sometimes791 said:
Well, it takes an emotional toll to keep a poker face after all that loops, just to discover that Ram is the murderer. He also attained clues due to this death. And his conclusion lies within logical and emotional judgement. At least he knows that none of the sisters have to die.
Seperating things, which you experienced in your life and things, that you know through one revive, is difficult. He grows closer and closer to them, yet the relationships are resetted.

Then explain me, why has he below average intelligence? It's average, not lower and not higher. His actions have been quite logical so far, even though only his emotions are shown.

The shaman is the one who casted the curse.

He hasn't given up. He was desperate that they didn't trust him despite of how he acted in this revive.

I say below average because anyone smart enough to have experienced two different sets of revivals would have started to understand the mechanism somewhat. The fact that he's still prancing around acting like a stupid idiot instead of seriously observing his situation and any discrepancies, and his slow uptake and piecing together of information from previous iterations indicates that he is not up to your average Joe's standard. Acting all chummy in a world that has show itself t be harsh, distrusting and suspicious would raise plenty of red flags with people around you, specially ones who've only known you for a few days and are currently experiencing a period of political turmoil AND a succession battle. He should know all that by now, no? Yet he still goes on and keeps doing it.

Dude, what shaman are you talking about? When was it mentioned that a shaman placed the curse on Balls? In any case, did he even TRY to think of a way to get his story across besides speaking about it? Even he doesn't know how the curse works. He could have kept trying.

As for the last point, I was referring to that last iteration where he just laid in bed for three days straight before crawling to Beatrice to beg her to keep himself from dying. If he'd been smart about things, he would have did that first thing when he revived and then spent three days investigating on how to stop dying, instead of wallowing in his misery in bed. If that's not giving up, then I don't know what is.

I'm just gonna say it's easier to say what one should do from hindsight than actually doing it.
Just the other day I made so many stupid mistakes and when I looked back on it there were so many alternative paths I could have taken but at the time I didn't realize that.
Think about the situation he's in first. He's experiencing this show. You're watching it.
May 15, 2016 3:09 PM

Jan 2014
Hongu said:
LoneWizard said:

What other way could he have possibly meant it? It's obvious he's not talking a bout familial love, since he spent the last episode fawning over them. He clearly just wants to fuck them even after all the terrible torture they've put him through. That makes absolutely no sense, especially since he spent literally every other episode fawning over Emilia.
Not sure if you are trolling or not cuz of that fucking line(Since he never made a joke about a harem even with his weird humor and he is clearly into Emilia-tan) but he is simply saying that he cares about them,he doesnt use "koi" or any other word directly meaning love, he says "dai suki" which could mean all kinds of "like"
May 15, 2016 3:11 PM

Oct 2014
Is Subaru dying getting repetitive? NOPE

I wonder whats going to happen now that the anime is caught up to the manga. It seems that Subaru can't help but want to save everyone from death, first Emilia now Rem.

I also still don't see how Rem is supposed to be one of the best characters in the anime, maybe it's just a visual novel thing
Sasuke or Kaneki I can't decide
May 15, 2016 3:13 PM

Mar 2010
Jonny_Mhl said:
mozgow said:
I though so too, but there is slight difference :-)

From dictionary.com:

So just to make it clear, she is the witch of jealousy or envy? Because a single mistake in the translation can mess with the entire meaning which the series want to give to the viewers.

The proper translation is Witch of Envy. CR is just wrong here.
May 15, 2016 3:15 PM
Jul 2018
Episode just flew by for me. So many feels.
May 15, 2016 3:15 PM

Apr 2014
LoneWizard said:
Hongu said:

Not sure if you are trolling or not cuz of that fucking line(Since he never made a joke about a harem even with his weird humor and he is clearly into Emilia-tan) but he is simply saying that he cares about them,he doesnt use "koi" or any other word directly meaning love, he says "dai suki" which could mean all kinds of "like"

The fact that he even likes them that much at all to say something like that after what they did to him is still enough to tell me how much of a gullible idiot Subaru is. He should get protection from them, not pursue them and save them. What does he actually think he'll accomplish by helping the enemy like a doofus instead of himself?
May 15, 2016 3:16 PM

Apr 2015
Hongu said:
20 minutes later...

Loving the people who are trying to kill you? (one of them actually successfully killed you TWICE). You barely even knew them, how could you legitimately love someone in that time and after they treat you like this? I thought he was all over Emilia, why did he randomly confess love out of nowhere? It's so dumb and contrived.
Also, why the hell did Ram randomly start attacking Subaru? Was there any reason, other than her just thinking it's him that killed Rem? That doesn't justify murdering somebody in cold blood, throwing a temper tantrum, and destroying the property of your mansion just because you have a hunch.

The logic in this show continues to baffle me, but other than that it was executed very well. The voice acting, animation, OST, and atmosphere were great. (Though Subaru's screaming became comedic after a while, lol)
It's just a shame that the writing itself is pretty mediocre and nonsensical.

When someone says that they love someone it does not always = romantic love.

He's saying that's already attached to them and he cherishes them already. You say he barely knows them but he's died like 3 times already and he's spent pretty much 9-10 days with them. Each day 24 hours. That's surely enough time to get attached to someone.

Also why does Ram suddenly attack? Okay, so Subaru meets Emilia in the warehouse with information that he shouldn't know about. He never talks about this so what do the rest think? Maybe he's just weird like that or maybe..he's a spy. They noted this in Episode 4 and if you stop and think about his actions in each timeline it seems fishy. Here he is asking for a meager reward from someone who is to rule the kingdom. Not only is that suspicious but he requests to become a guest/butler where he could easily monitor everyone's actions or murder Emilia. The dude is freaking suspicious. So for lovely timeline where he stays in bed all day. He knows information that he shouldn't have known then screams when waking up in Emilia's house. Then he asks Beatrice to protect him while he's in the mansion. The dude sounds and looks scummy as fuck and has been missing for four days. And then Rem dies ever since his visit so of course she'd lash out at him. He's the most suspicious AND her sister just died. You expect her to act rational?

No offense, man. But maybe you should sit back a bit, relax and try to understand this series' so called "baffling logic" from an emotional perspective.
Also yeah, Subaru is an idiot. It's a part of his character but I'm not going to defend he's a big idiot. I can see why he'd want to go back and save the two but personally I'd hold a grudge about it regardless of not knowing the reasons why a bit longer. So I understand why you think he's an idiot. The series isn't perfect and of course does have a lot of flaws in many departments but yikes
YuzurynMay 15, 2016 3:20 PM
May 15, 2016 3:17 PM

Apr 2015
Wow they did an excellent job conveying emotions in this episode.
Esp. that hand and eerie bgm scene, which sent chills down my spine.

Once again Re:zero has outdone itself. 6/5
May 15, 2016 3:19 PM

Mar 2011
Been a while since an anime sent shivers down my spine. I really hope it continues this way.
May 15, 2016 3:20 PM

Mar 2010
Hongu said:
LoneWizard said:

It can be used in platonic sense such as in family. He has nor shone any romantic feelings from them otherwise. He also spent more time with twins in this arc than he did wit Emila who had been studying most of the time.
May 15, 2016 3:21 PM

Oct 2014
i hope you loved this amazing episode with its cancerous themes(suicide as means to solve the problems in life)forced drama involving awful characters that we know nothing about(ram and rem)the nonsencal fight between rem and subaru that of course had to contains tons of gore to show this anime is mature
and why the hell is subaru wanting to save a girl that just brutally murdered him?
May 15, 2016 3:22 PM

May 2008
Re:Zero might be the first light novel I honestly like. I change my mind about thinking that all ranobes are bullshit.

I'm so glad we are getting a good animation too. I love voice acting, animation, soundtrack... Everything.
May 15, 2016 3:23 PM

Dec 2015
I don't think people comprehend how deep this actually is. Such an absolute masterpiece
May 15, 2016 3:23 PM
Nov 2014
OMG!!! This episode was really perfect. White Fox Respect
Cliffhanger killing me
May 15, 2016 3:24 PM

Jan 2014
Hongu said:
LoneWizard said:

The fact that he even likes them that much at all to say something like that after what they did to him is still enough to tell me how much of a gullible idiot Subaru is. He should get protection from them, not pursue them and save them. What does he actually think he'll accomplish by helping the enemy like a doofus instead of himself?
Actually,only way to survive those 4 days is actually keeping the twins and himself alive...Even if one of the twins die the other one will think Subaru did it and seek revenge...

And what is wrong with gullible idiots???Not everyone in this world can be Yagami Light,people are emotional creatures with weaknesses,not robots who can rationalise perfectly...
May 15, 2016 3:25 PM

Apr 2014
gabrielrroiz said:
i hope you loved this amazing episode with its cancerous themes(suicide as means to solve the problems in life)forced drama involving awful characters that we know nothing about(ram and rem)the nonsencal fight between rem and subaru that of course had to contains tons of gore to show this anime is mature
and why the hell is subaru wanting to save a girl that just brutally murdered him?
I don't know why either. I think too many people are 'shocked' from all that happened to actually think about what happened. It makes no sense whatsoever. Clearly the author's intention was to cover up his shoddy writing with excessive shock value and gore, and it's clearly working.
May 15, 2016 3:25 PM

Apr 2015
gabrielrroiz said:
Because he's an idiot and wants to believe in them. He wants to believe there's a reason for why they're doing these things thats justifiable in a sense and that their time they all spent together wasn't a lie and that they really are kind.
He's being an idiot for wanting to believe in them even Ram pointed this out
They tell the Ogre story
Subaru: I wanna save both
Ram: lol ur an idiot
but hey I dont know why I bother responding. It's obvious ur here for ur bait. congrats u got some from me
May 15, 2016 3:30 PM

Oct 2014
Yuzuryn said:
gabrielrroiz said:
Because he's an idiot and wants to believe in them. He wants to believe there's a reason for why they're doing these things thats justifiable in a sense and that their time they all spent together wasn't a lie and that they really are kind.
They tell the Ogre story
but hey I dont know why I bother responding. It's obvious ur here for ur bait. congrats u got some from me

and i would agree with these reasonings if they did not spent the first half of the episode by having rem cutting of his leg and slowly torturing him to them murder him
that is why no metter what reason you say i can not accept it
May 15, 2016 3:30 PM

Apr 2015
gabrielrroiz said:
Yuzuryn said:
They tell the Ogre story

and i would agree with these reasonings if they did not spent the first half of the episode by having rem cutting of his leg and slowly torturing him to them murder him

Huh a good response I like that
Alright I'm sorry for being harsh on you
May 15, 2016 3:37 PM

Jul 2015
After this episode I'm mad that myanimelist doesn't allow me to rate it 11, this episode was so intense, I can't control my emotions while watching it.
May 15, 2016 3:37 PM

Jan 2014
@Yuzuryn some people lacks the ability to empathize and can only look things from their own perspective...You can't make them understand why some person would do something in a certain situation...And you dont need to make them understand either :/

live strong
May 15, 2016 3:38 PM

Jun 2013
my god this is too epic the ost the music the camera angles everything so he killed himself because he wants to save Rem and i don't really blame her because she though she's protecting Emilia and she said he has the smell of the witch which i think she's the one who gave him this restart ability
May 15, 2016 3:38 PM

Mar 2010
gabrielrroiz said:
Yuzuryn said:
They tell the Ogre story

Which featured them same in the episode comforting in him and relieving his nightmares which makes no sense if they are not decent people. Whatever Rem did what she it's clear wasn't done for evil reason nor is she bad person herself. The whole point of those two scenes was to show Subaru things are not black and white or what they seem. That matters a lot since before that point he was terrified of them. If you can't understand than there no helping you.
Iron_MawMay 15, 2016 3:41 PM
May 15, 2016 3:39 PM

Mar 2016
I want to scream so hard,

this show is easily a 10/10 from the first episode

SUBARU I LOVE YOU
May 15, 2016 3:42 PM

Jul 2015
I was quite confused that episode, hmmm
May 15, 2016 3:45 PM

Oct 2014
Jagd84 said:
gabrielrroiz said:

Which featured them same episode comforting in him and relieving his nightmares which makes no sense if they are not decent people. Whatever Rem did what she it's clear wasn't done for evil reason nor is she bad person herself. The whole point of those two scenes was to show Subaru things are not black and white or what they seem. That matters a lot since before that point he was terrified of them. If you can't understand than there no helping you.

if you really think it is okay for subaru to justify people that slowly tortured him ripped of his leg healed it just for torturing him more and then killed him without blinking an eye by them conforting him at night than there is no helping you
what rem did to him should make her seem the most evil person in his eyes them keeping company for him at night is almost insignificant compared to that
May 15, 2016 3:50 PM

Jan 2014
gabrielrroiz said:
do you really think it is okay for subaru to justify people that slowly tortured him ripped of his leg healed it just for torturing him more and then killed him without blinking an eye by them conforting him at night than there is no helping you
Some people get mad at the enemy soldiers when reading avout past wars in history classes...They get all patriotic and hate the guts of the people who did what they thought was right...

Fortunately i am not one of those people,i can understand that good people might do "bad things depending on perspective"... And if i were one of those twins,my sister,my only family,my everything died and the only suspect run away i would find the guy and torture him to death...

#NoRegrets
May 15, 2016 3:52 PM

May 2015
White Fox doing god's work here. I have not much to say about this episode, other than how amazing it was. Amazing voice acting as well, along with the music. Especially liked that new song used at the end (MYTH & ROID <3). Not sure what the best moment was, but that ending when Subaru goes for the jump was really something.

May 15, 2016 3:57 PM

Mar 2010
gabrielrroiz said:
Jagd84 said:

Which featured them same episode comforting in him and relieving his nightmares which makes no sense if they are not decent people. Whatever Rem did what she it's clear wasn't done for evil reason nor is she bad person herself. The whole point of those two scenes was to show Subaru things are not black and white or what they seem. That matters a lot since before that point he was terrified of them. If you can't understand than there no helping you.

if you really think it is okay for subaru to justify people that slowly tortured him ripped of his leg healed it just for torturing him more and then killed him without blinking an eye by them conforting him at night than there is no helping you
what rem did to him should make her seem the most evil person in his eyes them keeping company for him at night is almost insignificant compared to that

Stop ignoring parts of the episode to fill your own bias already. You talking about people who he spent multiple loops to build a sold relationship with during the past flew episodes. He can't just drop that without knowing the why because their reactions here don't make any sense to him. The things Rem attacked him for are things has no knowledge about which is what is causing a rift between him and them. He needs to deal with that if any hope for himself to recover from all of this.
Iron_MawMay 15, 2016 4:07 PM
May 15, 2016 3:58 PM

Aug 2014
Holy damn what an episode. There are shows where 25 minutes feels like 25 minutes and then there are shows where 20 minutes feels like 5 because I was to drawn in to notice it.

I am incredibly glad I picked this up when I saw its page on Crunchyroll. This and Flying Witch and Tanaka-Kun are easily my favorite of the season so far
Get your shit straight Brenda
May 15, 2016 4:00 PM

Feb 2011
SimplyKairi said:
I don't think people comprehend how deep this actually is. Such an absolute masterpiece

the issue i had when i did read the manga at first was not being able to take the story seriously,
if you don't take it seriously, it looks like just a clumsy attempt to be edgy, and with cringey cliches all over the place
on that side the manga failed for me, it didn't manage to make me care about what was going on, and to look at the story from the inside instead of from the outside

the anime instead has managed to make me care about it, so i'm now looking more at the struggle of subaru, which just happens to be the focus of the story

guess the people not getting it are still looking at the story from the outside, dissecting the single parts while missing the whole picture, and looking at things from their own personal point of view instead of the characters's point of view

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
May 15, 2016 4:01 PM
Nov 2015
Great episode, the voices and the feelings of the caracters was intense, I wish that it continuous in that way, perfect joob 11/10 White fox.(Sry for my English, I'm Brazilian <3)
May 15, 2016 4:02 PM
Jan 2013
A week ago " When they will stop these SOL bullshit"
This week eps "This is BS, Why he desperate helping the girls"
Ignore the warning then complain when you fall into the hole, human.
May 15, 2016 4:03 PM
Apr 2010
You all understood that Rem wasn't a bad person. Subaru is present in almost every scene involving her, so if you came to that conclusion yourself, why couldn't he?
May 15, 2016 4:05 PM

Jan 2014
Zeando said:
guess the people not getting it are still looking at the story from the outside, dissecting the single parts while missing the whole picture, and looking at things from their own personal point of view instead of the characters's point of view
EXACTLY...Emphaty is important...We need Kiznaivers in real life too...
May 15, 2016 4:06 PM

Dec 2013
Really loving this anime atm!

Suburu begging for mercy was sad to watch. Rem was ruthless against him.

I never expected Rem to suddenly just die like that. I guess this means there were who have killed Suburu in the house.

Really cannot wait for next weeks episode!
May 15, 2016 4:07 PM

Feb 2011
gabrielrroiz said:
Jagd84 said:

the key word here is "insignificant For You", it was not insignificant for subaru

others have already pointed out how subaru could have felt to act that way, you've to start from what any character did and try to make sense of it, not the other way around and saying they don't make sense
making sense of things is part of being the spectator

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
May 15, 2016 4:13 PM

Oct 2014
Zeando said:
gabrielrroiz said:

the key word here is "insignificant For You", it was not insignificant for subaru

others have already pointed out how subaru could have felt to act that way, you've to start from what any character did and try to make sense of it, not the other way around and saying they don't make sense

not insignant for me it is insignant with compared to action they previously performed
also there is a diference between making sense and finding sense when there is none
May 15, 2016 4:20 PM

Nov 2014
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Run Forrest Subaru run!

xD exactly! Run SUBARU RUN!!!

Fappa said:
By the way guys. The official website of Re:Zero mentions that there might be some time changes in the airing time of episode 8,9 and 10 ( 22nd May - 5th of June ) which could lead to a broadcasting pause.

This is because of a tennis event that is during these days.
fuck tennis.
ttcchenMay 15, 2016 4:46 PM
May 15, 2016 4:25 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Masterpiece episode.
May 15, 2016 4:28 PM

Aug 2015
Googuix said:
You all understood that Rem wasn't a bad person. Subaru is present in almost every scene involving her, so if you came to that conclusion yourself, why couldn't he?

I think we might be looking at kid boys and girls who can only see things in black and white.
"Vaut mieux se suffire à soi que finir assoiffé dans le monde des apparences."

May 15, 2016 4:33 PM

Sep 2011
gabrielrroiz said:
Zeando said:

not insignant for me it is insignant with compared to action they previously performed
also there is a diference between making sense and finding sense when there is none

You do understand you're arguing subjective morals at this point, right?
Pages (22) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2016

719 by AnimatedAddict »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2016

359 by AnimatedAddict »»
7 hours ago

» Isn't it more realistic for Emilia to fall in love with Reinhard than Subaru? ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Apr 4

67 by Merve2Love »»
Yesterday, 12:59 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 29, 2016

723 by AnimatedAddict »»
Apr 15, 7:10 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 22, 2016

698 by AnimatedAddict »»
Apr 15, 6:32 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.