Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 13, 2016 7:27 AM

Apr 2015
What are your thoughts on this show? PA Works handling a mecha series doesn't sound like a great combination but the director has done some decent works.
It's time you look inward and begin asking yourself the big question, "Who are you, and what do you want?" - Uncle Iroh
May 13, 2016 7:56 AM

May 2014
Not bad for a first time mecha of the studio. So far it's good, has decent potential but not quite sure why it's got a low score here in MAL... Imo it's really worth checking out
May 13, 2016 10:12 AM

Jan 2015
Yes, it is.

One of the best anime of this season.
Definitely worth checking out
May 13, 2016 10:45 AM

Apr 2016
why don't you just watch and judge it yourself
personally it's one of the better mecha out there
May 13, 2016 12:40 PM

Sep 2014
It's most likely the AOTY for me. It truly is a hidden gem.
May 13, 2016 1:12 PM

Nov 2015
It's okay but nothing spectacular. So far it's been more of a comedy series with some pretty clear hints of future romance, but I assume the action/mecha aspects will have to get more attention over time. I have yet to see how it's anything out of the ordinary but that doesn't mean it's not diverting.

The real question is whether, after seeing a couple episodes, you really want to commit to it for a 2-cour run.
May 13, 2016 1:35 PM

Apr 2011
The best thing so far about it is how the guy is trying to adapt to the modern days lol
May 13, 2016 1:42 PM

May 2015
Xarkiesami said:

Pretty much this. Just see for yourself.

In my opinion, this show is underrated as fuck and the MAL score is ridiculous to begin with. This might be the dark horse of the season, and so far, it's my favorite this season. Recent episode just proved it. It has some great balance between Comedy, SoL, Mecha and Action, great characters and interaction and great animation and visuals. What more can you ask? I think the 2-cour will do this show justice. But that's just my opinion.

May 13, 2016 2:17 PM

Apr 2016
Reverberate__ said:
Xarkiesami said:

Pretty much this. Just see for yourself.

In my opinion, this show is underrated as fuck and the MAL score is ridiculous to begin with. This might be the dark horse of the season, and so far, it's my favorite this season. Recent episode just proved it. It has some great balance between Comedy, SoL, Mecha and Action, great characters and interaction and great animation and visuals. What more can you ask? I think the 2-cour will do this show justice. But that's just my opinion.

this guy said it
this is what happened with heavy object too it's started with 6.5 now when it's over it's 7.43 and i think it's still underrated
this will happen in this series too
MAL score these days are ridiculous
May 13, 2016 7:46 PM

Jan 2014
honestly, boring af.

too many cringeworthy moments. isn't able to keep me awake for more than 7 minutes.

i mean, if you like mechs, flat characters, overused tropes and crappy cgi directing (even comet lucifer does better), then be my guest.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 13, 2016 9:58 PM

Jul 2010
BaptizED said:
Not bad for a first time mecha of the studio. So far it's good, has decent potential but not quite sure why it's got a low score here in MAL... Imo it's really worth checking out

It got low score because it's mecha probably, MAL community tends to hate on new mecha stuff. Which is a shame since a lot of people just look at the score sadly and it's under 7 atm and deserves atleast over 7.

MagicalMahou said:
honestly, boring af.

too many cringeworthy moments. isn't able to keep me awake for more than 7 minutes.

i mean, if you like mechs, flat characters, overused tropes and crappy cgi directing (even comet lucifer does better), then be my guest.

Looking at your favorite list I'm not even sure why you watch this in the first place when it's clearly not for you.
May 14, 2016 12:39 AM

Jan 2014
Tenth said:
BaptizED said:

It got low score because it's mecha probably, MAL community tends to hate on new mecha stuff. Which is a shame since a lot of people just look at the score sadly and it's under 7 atm and deserves atleast over 7.

MagicalMahou said:
honestly, boring af.

Looking at your favorite list I'm not even sure why you watch this in the first place when it's clearly not for you.

Well excuuuse my moefag self for having high expectations of a mecha produced by PA Works, made by a director who did work on EVA.
MagicalMahouMay 15, 2016 3:49 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 14, 2016 8:57 AM

Sep 2015
Everyone preferrence is different, that includes you. Many people think the anime is good doesn't mean you will think its good, so there is no need to take into account what the majority think. Watch it yourself and judge it whether it is worth to watch or not.
May 14, 2016 11:29 PM
Dec 2015
(1) Score here doesn't do it justice.
(2) Main female character is not like-able. The rest is so-so.
(3) Art/mecha and fighting animation is VERY good.
(4) Story is a bit slow to begin with but tolerable.

I think it's worth watching.
May 15, 2016 3:02 AM

Aug 2013
1. Translation is bad, totally bad. If you don't know enough japanese, I would suggest you to wait for proper subs instead watching with gg usual shitsubs.
2. 3DCG is just awful, action scenes looks terrible, but in the other hand 2d scenes are beautiful, especially backgrounds and characters.
3. It's not typical shounen mecha (thanks God), so if you expecting something like this, then this Anime is not for you.

I think it has pretty interesting story ( I don't like mecha anime), if not that terrible CG, I would be able to fully enjoy it.
PS. Looking at you favlist and ratings in general, it's DEFINITELY NOT Anime for you.

MagicalMahou said:

Wat? Comet Lucifer has 10 levels higher class of CG, mechas in some scenes looked almost like hand drawn. So I wouldn't say 'even' because Comet Lucifer had one of the best done CG in Anime history. I can't stand any 3DCG, but in Comet Lucifer it wasn't bother me for the first time in my life. Unfortunately Kuromukuro has crappy 3DGG on mechas and it's really hurting my eyes.

Tenth said:

Why? I love slice of life series the most (with cgdct subgenre of course) , along with other dialogue based, romance drama and psychological anime.
But I'm enjoying kuromukuro too. Only 3DCG is bothering me, because it is destroying whole esthetics in this show and looks like trash.
rsc-plMay 15, 2016 6:51 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
May 16, 2016 2:09 AM

Dec 2015
It is definitely better than some other overrated crap (Kabaneri, Re:Zero) which is airing this season. But after the latest episode I think it might get worse regarding the story/plot. (I hope they won't do too much complicated stuff.) But characters are nice so far.
May 16, 2016 2:20 AM

Oct 2009
It's not everyday you got naked male MC instead of boobies in the first episode. Yes, it's worth it.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
May 16, 2016 4:05 AM

Apr 2012
It's too early to say. It certainly looks ambitious, but I think it's going to stand or fall based on the quality of its overall story, and so far we've only seen glimpses, it's playing a long game.

Got me interested, though.
May 20, 2016 4:41 PM

Mar 2009
Yes. It's quite good. Don't let the first episode throw you off.
May 21, 2016 12:14 PM

Feb 2008
MagicalMahou said:
Well excuuuse my moefag self for having high expectations of a mecha produced by PA Works, made by a director who did work on EVA.

Why would you even have high expectations of a show that's completely different from what the studio usually does? If anything, PA Works doing a mecha show is the first thing that put me off.

So far it's probably the first PA Works show I actually enjoy. It's not that good, but it's entertaining, especially the parts about a Japanese medieval man trying to fit into modern society. And the actions scenes are okay, though the CGI is bad (RIP mecha). It's more SoL than action though. It is one of the best shows this season though, but that rarely means much.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
May 21, 2016 12:28 PM
Apr 2015
I like it, but I dont like the main girl, Yukina -_- she makes the anime looks like it takes place in 2000 ...
May 25, 2016 2:37 PM

Feb 2015
it was an enjoyable show to me so far but i don't know about other people. it contains many 3D/CGI scene so i doubt people will like it but imo, it's worth to watch :D the story is pretty good.
May 25, 2016 8:17 PM

Dec 2010
i have no idea why the score is so low (by MAL standards) but this is easily a top 3 anime of the season. definitely better than jjba, magi and boku no hero academia,
May 25, 2016 8:23 PM

Jun 2015
It has good art and the cg blends ok.

Although it is pretty meh. Though I'm pretty averse to the mecha genre so there's that.
Jun 5, 2016 5:55 PM
Dec 2011
Well if you guys think it's good and should at least more than 7, why don't score this show now?
Jun 7, 2016 7:49 PM

Oct 2008
BAKAwatcher said:
I have one question about this series, in the series description it says

"In the summer of 2016, a lone samurai once again awakens."

is this samurai one that was frozen in time and wakes up now and sees all this new tech, or something else?

Yes. That is correct.
Jul 4, 2016 4:38 PM

Jul 2014
We're halfway through the season, currently its PTW for me but is it worth my time? 6.93 looks like it doesn't look good/meh...?
Jul 4, 2016 5:59 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
OppaiSugoi said:
We're halfway through the season, currently its PTW for me but is it worth my time? 6.93 looks like it doesn't look good/meh...?

Mecha anime usually doesn't have a high score while it's airing (well sometimes even afterwards it's still bad), but the people who are watching it weekly and commenting in the episode discussion threads enjoy it. I like the humor, probably the funniest PA Works anime. So far it's probably 75-80% slice of life and 15-20% actual mecha action and plot. But the slice of life parts don't feel useless or anything, I think the anime is good at blending the two elements of SoL and mecha. The character interaction between the two main is really refreshing as well. The best part though has to be the amount of animation actually happening. Not talking about big movements or sakuga, but how natural the movements of the characters are, even when it's just walking. Also, the facial expressions are so diverse.

I'd say it's definitely worth a try, watch maybe at least until episode 6 or 7 to gauge if you want to drop it. Episode 6, the plot is beginning to unveil, episode 7 is probably my favorite episode so far :>
Jul 6, 2016 1:05 AM

Feb 2014
It's on Netflix now so I'll be watching it soon. I'm not sure why it's so badly rated, I watched the trailer and honestly I think it looks pretty good! From what it seems like people are saying here is that it's badly underrated for whatever reason.

I look forward to watching it.
Jul 6, 2016 3:38 AM

Dec 2015
@LoomyTheBrew Pretty standard story-wise, nothing to cry about since it's better done and looks better than the average recent anime.
I really don't understand how this can be under 7, based on what I understood from MAL displayed score, it should be between 7.5 and 8.5. (in other words, a recent and perfectly fine but not outstanding anime)
Jul 6, 2016 12:04 PM

Feb 2014
Rei366 said:
@LoomyTheBrew Pretty standard story-wise, nothing to cry about since it's better done and looks better than the average recent anime.
I really don't understand how this can be under 7, based on what I understood from MAL displayed score, it should be between 7.5 and 8.5. (in other words, a recent and perfectly fine but not outstanding anime)

I see I see, thank you. I guess this anime just got unlucky, but maybe when it finishes people will have better thoughts about it.

I'll be watching the first episode soon

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kuromukuro Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2016

106 by gswelcome »»
Aug 19, 2023 9:54 AM

Poll: » Kuromukuro Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 26, 2016

66 by lisalosthername »»
Apr 24, 2023 3:24 AM

Poll: » Kuromukuro Episode 18 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2016

46 by L01MK »»
Feb 3, 2023 3:50 PM

Poll: » Kuromukuro Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 7, 2016

141 by Ronninn »»
Aug 29, 2022 1:32 AM

» 5 Years Anniversary Event

bastek66 - May 11, 2021

1 by Cabron »»
Mar 26, 2022 12:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.