Forum Settings
Forums

Don't you think that manhwas are generally better than mangas?

New
May 13, 2016 1:05 AM

Aug 2012
First of all, I've read a lot of both. However, I noticed that a majority of the manhwas I read are captivating and leave me wanting for more. Sure, you can say the say thing about mangas, but I feel like there's a much higher percentage of crap among mangas.

Do you agree? If so, why do you think that is? Perhaps because there is so much manga being published, quality is less of a factor and appealing to the fanbase is more of one.
May 13, 2016 4:51 AM

Sep 2012
You maybe partly right because manhwas always start good but later you find yourself in a systematic quality dropping and yes manga sometimes boring but remember not always
May 13, 2016 5:08 AM

Jun 2011
Once manhwa get popular enough, it will reach its saturation point and start catering to certain fans. Manga used to be gold, you write good manga, your manga gets published.

There's 'higher percentage' of crap among manga and that's because there's a lot more manga than manhwa available.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 13, 2016 8:03 AM

Apr 2010
I actually think the opposite. A lot of manwhas give off the impression that the characters are quite superficial. I don't know, there's just something about the art style that seems to be faker than the Japanese style. In a weird way, Korean manwha is less sexist than Japanese manga but at the same time, looks are more greatly stressed in Korean manwha than Japanese manga. Every single character looks like they're posing for a fashion shoot at any given moment in a manwha, whereas in a manga there is, I don't know...there is posing and host-like elements all the time, but it sits better with me and it's easier to ignore because they're found in a particular subgenre or niche. Ehh, I'm just rambling.

Things To Keep In Mind:
  • You shut your mouth when you're talking to me.
  • My thirst for anything humanoid (and legal) cannot be contained.
May 13, 2016 12:21 PM

Aug 2014
There is also the fact of the different mediums used when it comes to manhwa vs manga. Or should I say webtoons vs manga instead. Webtoons uses digital tools and editing when necessary, while manga uses ink to draw the characters and backgrounds on paper. I'm not too experienced with tablet/digital drawing, but my thoughts in the matter are the in comparisons to physical drawings, digital must be more challenging. Especially with webtoon authors have to consider coloring and action & fantasy effects.

Simply put I prefer manhwa better due to the quality of the art in which the authors have to maintain and put up every week. (Coloring, action and magic effects, characters, etc). And even though manhwa has the common theme of bullying in terms of story lately, I still love the fantasy works which present a more original story.
May 15, 2016 3:33 AM

Dec 2015
Yeah, I do think manhwas are better thank you, especially the distinctive art styles. I haven't even read that much manhwas but they're better than most mangas I've read in my life.

Though, Vampire Sphere is just a fucking disgrace.
Why yu gettin' cheeky? (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
May 15, 2016 3:58 AM

Jun 2011
Pramma_Gunio said:
Yeah, I do think manhwas are better thank you, especially the distinctive art styles. I haven't even read that much manhwas but they're better than most mangas I've read in my life.

I haven't read a lot of manhwa, but from what I can see, manhwa's artstyle is less distinguishable compared to manga. Manga's art style range from old school yankee style, old school high social class style, realistic drawing, to cool fantasy-ish bishounen bishoujo drawing style; from looking very asian-ish to looking very western-ish. Manhwa imo, don't have that range of distinctive art style.
May 16, 2016 2:59 AM

Jan 2014
On the contrary. But I have to admit that I haven't read that many manhwa. I have trouble with character names, places and the cultural aspects in general. I also find the stories to be nothing special (but they are not bad either). The art is usually pretty decent.
The writer who penned Clashing Feelings. You can buy the light novel on Amazon.
May 16, 2016 3:21 AM

Aug 2015
deideiblueeyez said:
I actually think the opposite. A lot of manwhas give off the impression that the characters are quite superficial. I don't know, there's just something about the art style that seems to be faker than the Japanese style. In a weird way, Korean manwha is less sexist than Japanese manga but at the same time, looks are more greatly stressed in Korean manwha than Japanese manga. Every single character looks like they're posing for a fashion shoot at any given moment in a manwha, whereas in a manga there is, I don't know...there is posing and host-like elements all the time, but it sits better with me and it's easier to ignore because they're found in a particular subgenre or niche. Ehh, I'm just rambling.

'Korean manwha is less sexist than Japanese manga '
well that's because you haven't read enough ecchi manwha it's hell literally hell...so much things who want to forget about after reading it....manga>manhwa anyday any stupid people will figure out that blindly in terms of art and quality
May 16, 2016 7:43 AM

Apr 2010
ultravigo said:
deideiblueeyez said:

'Korean manwha is less sexist than Japanese manga '
well that's because you haven't read enough ecchi manwha it's hell literally hell...so much things who want to forget about after reading it....manga>manhwa anyday any stupid people will figure out that blindly in terms of art and quality

Let's not call names, yeah. People can prefer manwha over manga. I like how manwha webcomics are all colored, but usually when a manga artist gets some color pages or a splash page to debut a special chapter it's just Ba-BAM, very top-notch.

And yes I've been reading some ecchi manwha and honestly I'm entertained by it. I'm enjoying Household Affairs for the mindless sex romp that it is.

Things To Keep In Mind:
  • You shut your mouth when you're talking to me.
  • My thirst for anything humanoid (and legal) cannot be contained.
May 16, 2016 10:03 AM

Jan 2010
My experience so far is kind of split on the subject, I find that I read a lot more manga than manhwa but that isn't to say manga is better. There are things I like about both and it's hard for me to generalize both when I have barely scratched the surface of either. From my personal experience though I would have to say that as of now I like Manga better than Manhwa. I find myself making theories and discussing manga more than Manhwa. I have even the webtoons club has been stagnate as of late compared to the other manga specific clubs that I am involved with on this site. Just a little information about me I am currently reading 50+ ongoing manga or manhwa.

My top 10 favorite reads:
1. One Piece (manga)
2. Tower of God (manhwa/webtoon)
3. Feng Shen Ji (manhua)
4. OnePunch-Man (manga/webtoon)
5. Dreamland (manfra)
6. Magi
7. Kingdom
8. xxxHolic
9. D. Grayman
10. Boku no Hero Academia
logic340May 16, 2016 10:10 AM
Proud Administrator of the D Gray Man FC and OnePunch-Man FC

May 17, 2016 7:14 AM

Jan 2015
I enjoy the art in many Korean series, but I tend not to like the writing, especially with webtoons.

My Manga / Light Novel Collection: EN | FR | LN
May 24, 2016 5:19 AM
May 2016
ToG25thBaam said:
Pramma_Gunio said:

I haven't read a lot of manhwa, but from what I can see, manhwa's artstyle is less distinguishable compared to manga. Manga's art style range from old school yankee style, old school high social class style, realistic drawing, to cool fantasy-ish bishounen bishoujo drawing style; from looking very asian-ish to looking very western-ish. Manhwa imo, don't have that range of distinctive art style.

I can assure you that many of those styles and more can be found in manhwa. In a contest of distinctive styles manhwa definitely does not lose.
SphearMay 24, 2016 5:31 AM
May 24, 2016 6:54 AM

Jun 2011
Sphear said:
I can assure you that many of those styles and more can be found in manhwa. In a contest of distinctive styles manhwa definitely does not lose.
Now I am interested to know which manhwa you are talking about. Mind giving me a list?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Manga or Light Novels: Which do you prefer?

Digibutter64 - Jan 1, 2020

29 by Jutrio »»
52 minutes ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1053 by Alexioos95 »»
54 minutes ago

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

22 by Jutrio »»
54 minutes ago

» 8 Manga to Get to Know You

spaceslut - Mar 12, 2023

35 by Lucifrost »»
3 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

375 by YahwehTzVaoth »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.