Forum Settings
Forums

What is the most important element of anime as a medium?

New
May 12, 2016 11:08 AM

Oct 2014
Disclaimer: Anime as a medium is more that the sum of it's part and it's unfair to analize it as just the sum of it's parts. It's also a matter of opinion, but that's what discussions are for. This is just a petty thread overall.

Let's suppose anime consist of mainly 3 elements, based on the parts of our body it stimulates: Image (colors, character desing, animation, backgrounds, camera angles, symbolism), Sound (Sound effects, music, voice acting, modulation and intonation) and Story (script, world building, character backdrop, concepts, themes, plot and resolution).

From your perspective, aislate one of these 3 and tell which one is the most important for the medium and why. You can use examples to further prove your point. It is not wrong to think they are equally important, but that isn't what this thread was made for.

For example: Story is what is most important for the medium since it defines the reason of the existance of the other 2.

Go wild!
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; What is essential is invisible to the eye.

But does the heart have the right perspective?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 12, 2016 11:36 AM

Nov 2014
The sound and visuals. Anime is a visual and auditory medium, and visuals and sounds can be appreciated with just observations and no story, e.g. nature documentaries. Though, I'd rather watch an anime with a story.
May 12, 2016 11:41 AM

May 2016
Everything is important =/ Out of the plot, writing, music, voice acting, art, and the animation itself, the shortcomings of a single one of these aspects can drag the entire anime into the mud. Of course, they don't all have to be perfect to make a good anime.
May 12, 2016 11:45 AM

Aug 2012
Image because that's what ppl talk about Anime and what gives it so much popularity, the big eyes, wacky hair and overuse of colors.
May 12, 2016 11:48 AM

Jun 2015
I'd say image because that's what made anime in the first place. The general style used by Japanese studios is what gives anime the identity it has.

Kuma said:
enjoyment because that's the solely reason why i watch anime....

It's the combination of elements which produce enjoyment. Which of those elements is most important?
May 12, 2016 11:50 AM

Mar 2015
AltoRoark said:
Kuma said:
enjoyment because that's the solely reason why i watch anime....

It's the combination of elements which produce enjoyment. Which of those elements is most important?
everything.... anime is not only one side... and if one side is anough to enjoy me, i don't really care...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 12, 2016 11:50 AM

Apr 2016
Story. A anime can be decent with a decent story but bad visuals and sound but the opposite isn't true. For example Guilty Crown has great visuals, great sound but terrible story.
May 12, 2016 11:53 AM

Oct 2014
Wasn't "characters" the correct answer to this before? Why is that not an option?

I guess I'll go with "story". After all, Inferno Cop is superior to Glasslip even though the animation and sound are some of the worst of any anime.
May 12, 2016 11:54 AM

Jan 2013
The animation, of course. As in to stay consistent on cel animation and not switch to CGI, which is what they're heavily doing right now.
May 12, 2016 11:59 AM

Mar 2016
Tits.

Visuals and music are incredibly important but without a good story and memorable characters anime or any other show or whatever is... erm... let's say... it makes me sad.

yangires > yanderes > tsunderes > other deres
May 12, 2016 12:04 PM

Apr 2016
Pyrontl said:
Story. A anime can be decent with a decent story but bad visuals and sound but the opposite isn't true. For example Guilty Crown has great visuals, great sound but terrible story.

So much this.

"Graphics whores" will say animation.
I will say story.
You remember your favourite shows because of the story, the content, the characters, etc.
If the story is excellent, the animation, sound and the other factors are eclipsed.
"You are weak. Why are you weak? Because you lack hatred."
May 12, 2016 12:08 PM

Sep 2015
The audio and the visuals are the most important elements of anime, because they're the two things which set it apart from other story-telling mediums.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
May 12, 2016 12:10 PM

Jan 2013
KoreaWS said:
Disclaimer: Anime as a medium is more that the sum of it's part and it's unfair to analize it as just the sum of it's parts. It's also a matter of opinion, but that's what discussions are for. This is just a petty thread overall.

Let's suppose anime consist of mainly 3 elements, based on the parts of our body it stimulates: Image (colors, character desing, animation, backgrounds, camera angles, symbolism), Sound (Sound effects, music, voice acting, modulation and intonation) and Story (script, world building, character backdrop, concepts, themes, plot and resolution).

From your perspective, aislate one of these 3 and tell which one is the most important for the medium and why. You can use examples to further prove your point. It is not wrong to think they are equally important, but that isn't what this thread was made for.

For example: Story is what is most important for the medium since it defines the reason of the existance of the other 2.

Go wild!

I was going to say story, but then I realized that's wrong. Lots of anime have plot holes, inconsistencies and feel similar to other shows, and yet I enjoy them more than other shows.

Art... well it matters but it doesn't make or break a show.

I think... the most underrated aspect of a show is it's immersion.

Take Utawarerumono's anime for instance. Not much happens in that anime, but it's paced extremely well and the characters are instantly likeable. The show BRINGS your attention to it and doesn't let it go. Same with Mushi Shi and Spice and Wolf.

I think the best quality to have for anime, is for it to be immersive.
May 12, 2016 12:16 PM

Aug 2014
Story, because an extremly poorly execute cliché story can't save godlike OST and animation, but a great story can make up for shitty animation and OST.
May 12, 2016 12:20 PM

Jan 2013
Snappynator said:
Story, because an extremly poorly execute cliché story can't save godlike OST and animation, but a great story can make up for shitty animation and OST.

Meh. Even a good story can be bad.
Look at No.6. Interesting world and good story. Not a good show.
May 12, 2016 12:20 PM

Aug 2014
TitanAnteus said:
Snappynator said:

How can a good story be bad? That just seems contradictory. I haven't read No.6, so can't say anything about that.
May 12, 2016 12:24 PM

Jan 2013
Snappynator said:
TitanAnteus said:

How can a good story be bad? That just seems contradictory. I haven't read No.6, so can't say anything about that.

The story is good. The tale the show spins is interesting, but the characters aren't why it's good, and the pacing is abysmal.

At the end of the day, you're thinking that it was a really unique and interesting experience, but you can't praise it.
May 12, 2016 12:24 PM

Jul 2014
In my honest opinion, it's the surrealism of anime. Because it shows something that is not alive (frames of painting) into a more motion-ful media (anime). Therefore, anything can happen and might happen.

May 12, 2016 12:26 PM

Aug 2014
Presentation which is a very broad thing as really every anime has a unique appeal. The appeal of redline that it has fantastic visual presentation and the appeal of something like LOTGH is the great narrative presentation. Neither are inherently superior to each other and putting down redline for it's story or LOTGH for it's animation isn't really fair as the shows obviously have different intentions and effects. Obviously those two are extreme examples and most shows lie in the middle somewhat. Kara no kyoukai is my fav show but that's mostly to do with the way it's presented, even if there was a good translation of the novel I would find the experience very dry comparatively.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
May 12, 2016 12:27 PM

Oct 2014
TitanAnteus said:
KoreaWS said:

Go wild!

I was going to say story, but then I realized that's wrong. Lots of anime have plot holes, inconsistencies and feel similar to other shows, and yet I enjoy them more than other shows.

Take Utawarerumono's anime for instance. Not much happens in that anime, but it's paced extremely well and the characters are instantly likeable. The show BRINGS your attention to it and doesn't let it go. Same with Mushi Shi and Spice and Wolf.

And what element does allows it to be inmersive?

I know it's a mixture of the 3, but if you had to go for one, which one is the most relevant for inmersion?
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; What is essential is invisible to the eye.

May 12, 2016 12:36 PM

Jan 2013
KoreaWS said:
TitanAnteus said:

And what element does allows it to be inmersive?

I know it's a mixture of the 3, but if you had to go for one, which one is the most relevant for inmersion?

Characters, pacing and overall consistency.

If the art is consistent then the story will be immersive. If the characters make you care then the story will be immersive. If the show's paced in a way that's always leaving you hungry for more then the story will be immersive.

It doesn't even matter if the story is good. BoBoBo is pretty immersive and I have no idea why.

Gantz and Death Note are also both immersive for the same reason.
May 12, 2016 12:38 PM

Sep 2015
It is pretty common to see anime get praised for its storytelling and story but for me there are another things to look up from them, which are visual, it could be in the form of animation, artwork, cinematography or the editing; and sounds of course. I still can appreciate anime that lacks in story but at least still good at those two element.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
May 12, 2016 1:45 PM

May 2015
Feel like my post disappeared O.o..

But I will say, story. Substance over style, but if it looks really stylish I'll probably enjoy it. When it comes to animation/artstyle, I'm easy to impress.
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
May 12, 2016 2:00 PM
Mar 2014
Any response other than 'animation' is technically wrong, since you're asking for the most important element in the medium. It wouldn't be anime without moving pictures.

Due to the particular question being asked, I don't think you intended to phrase it that way. If you're asking what makes the medium stand out, it would be writing—but that applies to every medium of storytelling, be it music, television, movies, or books.

Long story short, I don't understand the question.
May 12, 2016 2:20 PM

Oct 2014
Max said:

Long story short, I don't understand the question.

Your way ("what makes it stand out") is what I intended. I see a lot of people going for the visual and the writing, and the intention of the thread was to see why they would go for different answers. One guy went for inmersion.

Even though there may be a correct answer (Like the technical one you gave), I intended to present an open question so that users could throw away answers, regardless if they are correct or not.

May 13, 2016 1:17 AM

May 2015
I'm going to pick two specific things there. These are general art style and character development.

Characters are how we connect to the story. A well-written character gives emotional context to the events around it.

Art style defines what the anime is about, its mood and vibe. It's very important to have the right art style and one that adds something, that give you a bigger understanding of what the anime is about.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
May 13, 2016 2:28 AM

Jan 2015
aikaflip said:
The sound and visuals. Anime is a visual and auditory medium, and visuals and sounds can be appreciated with just observations and no story, e.g. nature documentaries. Though, I'd rather watch an anime with a story.

Probably the most concise and best reply in this thread. There's a reason I watch anime instead of choosing the book medium, it's supposed to be a feast for the eyes.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
May 13, 2016 2:42 AM

Jun 2011
Uniqueness in their culture, that's the reason why I was so into anime.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 13, 2016 2:50 AM

Mar 2015
Well, the most important part of any storytelling medium would be the story and characters. However this is anime and the thing that distinguishes it from other mediums is it's different visual presentation.
“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth. But the world isn't perfect, and the law is incomplete..." -Alphonse Elric

"Then and now, what I protect has never changed!" -Sakata Gintoki

I'll take anything like The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. Anything as good as that.
May 13, 2016 3:05 AM

Aug 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
I'm going to pick two specific things there. These are general art style and character development.

Characters are how we connect to the story. A well-written character gives emotional context to the events around it.

Art style defines what the anime is about, its mood and vibe. It's very important to have the right art style and one that adds something, that give you a bigger understanding of what the anime is about.

This.

A good combination of characters, art, sound and story can do wonders.

The individual aspects do not need to be brilliant: they need to just do their jobs properly.

Take a look at Haikyuu!!
Since it is a sports anime, it doesn't have much of a story. Just some highschoolers trying to make their team great again.
And the art isn't great either. It's basic and the backgrounds use a lot of 3D.

But that is not what makes it a great anime. What makes it great is the characters and how every inch of their personalities is visible through the animation. Upto season 2, the thing that drew me to Haikyu was that I could not make up my mind who to root for. And the animation's fluidity always kept precisely the right atmosphere at every moment.

Good combinations like this, I think, is only made possible by a good production committee and a good director.
You've done nothing but spout meaningless prattle. - Yukino Yukinoshita.
May 13, 2016 4:06 AM

Feb 2011
visuals and sound are the shape the anime takes, while the story is what sets it in motion, both are important

if i had to choose between the two, i find more important the story,
afterall we can have mangas where there is no sound, and books where there aren't even visuals, yet they can still be great while having only story
personally i like thought provoking stories, and in those cases the shape (visuals and sound) is almost irrilevant

still, in a complete work both sides should be complete, a lacking visuals/sounds fails to sell the story, and a lack of story leaves a "pretty empty shell"

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
May 13, 2016 4:12 AM
Apr 2016
Most important to least important:

Character
Art
Story
Animation
Sound

Character makes or breaks any series. Good characters can carry bad story but a good story cannot carry bad characters.
May 13, 2016 6:38 AM
Feb 2016
There's no one defining element for all anime universally, obviously, as some shows put different values on different elements. SoL anime don't put much emphasis on a deep narrative, while something like LoGH puts a huge emphasis on narrative but slightly less on animation.

However, what differentiates anime from other film mediums is three things:
1) Animation
2) Long running time
3) Different concepts of story

Animation allows story telling to be told in a whole load of different ways. Backgrounds can change for comic effect or to create an atmosphere, colour palette and styles of animation can be changed within an episode or a series to show a deeper meaning about the scene which would be harder to do within other medium.

While long running time is not true for all series, most series are longer than a movie at 13 episodes or so. This can allow the viewer to have a deeper relationship with the characters, or tell a much longer story than normally possible. However, this in itself does not differentiate it from Western TV series - and combined with animation, it still doesn't differentiate from Western cartoon series. So there's one other element at play here.

And that's the variety of stories that can be told. While Western cartoons are normally under the branch of episodic comedy format, anime can be and has been pretty much anything. Definitely would recommend Digibro's "What is the appeal of anime?" video for more on that topic.
May 13, 2016 2:43 PM

Dec 2014
Following your definitions :
Story, Story, Story
The characters and the plot makes an anime, and every anime should build around this fact! (even comedy should have something to it!)

But unfortunately we've seen Image based animes like Shingeki no Kyojin. It fell down to it's knees in plot and character development, and tried to make up for it with replays of the well animated parts, which makes it even worse, at the end we get like 18 episode + replays.
Note: Fate/stay night Unlimited Budget Works also went tryhard on animation, but it's entire story was given (and they've put in as much as they could).

On the Sound department well : Everybody likes good soundtracks. I personally give much credit for that alone. (no point but it can make me decide between two points i could give to the anime). Music involved in anime is a nasty topic, it can be good (musicwise or storywise), or it can be another nail in the coffin for the pacing (Angel beats! :( so sad )

PS: If someone takes mal scores a little bit seriously then he/she can go two main ways:
1, objetive - gives points for the main aspects (story, characters, character development) then fine tunes it with less dominant aspects (animation, music, voice actors, opening/ending, etc.)
2, subjective - gives points for the enjoyment factor, but keeps in mind that 10 DIFFERENT points can be given!
//and the rest is like score everything good : 10, 9, 8 maybe 7; and 1 to the rest.
May 13, 2016 9:59 PM
Dec 2014
Story and character development with a decent quality of animation and sound i think
May 13, 2016 10:12 PM

Nov 2015
Story;
Just one look at the likes of Sword Art Online & Mirai Nikki will tell you that something that looks as beautiful as those anime can come off just as jarring & painful to watch.

On the other hand Klk & NHK have very meh animation (although klk has excellent sound) but their stories are gripping af..
May 14, 2016 12:00 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Cute/sexy anime girls are certainly a pretty core part of it. Say what you want but it's true
May 14, 2016 12:07 AM

Oct 2013
Would you say a sandwich with top-tier freshly baked bread but cold, freeze-burnt ham is good?
May 14, 2016 12:13 AM
Jan 2015
for me , between that 3 aspects,story was one of the most important elements ,because great stories can make up for the lack of animation ,and the characters too
May 14, 2016 12:16 AM

Aug 2015
The visuals and OST of course. They're the only things which makes anime better than LNs and manga
May 14, 2016 12:26 AM

Feb 2015
Sound > Quality > Character > Story.
that would combine into one elements and i called it sensation/atmosphere of the anime which is the most reason why i watch anime.
May 14, 2016 12:29 AM

Jun 2008
How many cute/hot girls are there in said anime.

No seriously...this is how the industry makes its money.

OK, you want an interesting non-ecchi anime, OK...but there still better be attractive girls so we can sell anime goods, so people can make doujinshi, etc.

Face it folks, anime is all about looks!

HaXXspetten said:
Cute/sexy anime girls are certainly a pretty core part of it. Say what you want but it's true

^great minds think alike!
May 14, 2016 12:55 AM

May 2015
OtakuKvothe said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

This.

A good combination of characters, art, sound and story can do wonders.

The individual aspects do not need to be brilliant: they need to just do their jobs properly.

Take a look at Haikyuu!!
Since it is a sports anime, it doesn't have much of a story. Just some highschoolers trying to make their team great again.
And the art isn't great either. It's basic and the backgrounds use a lot of 3D.

But that is not what makes it a great anime. What makes it great is the characters and how every inch of their personalities is visible through the animation. Upto season 2, the thing that drew me to Haikyu was that I could not make up my mind who to root for. And the animation's fluidity always kept precisely the right atmosphere at every moment.

Good combinations like this, I think, is only made possible by a good production committee and a good director.

Good point.

It's important for the production team to understand what the anime is about, what should its strengths are. Danganronpa knew its characters are more fascinating than its plot twist.

Anime aren't all judged the same. They're judged according to their aims, how worthy their aim is and how well they achieve that.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
May 14, 2016 6:12 AM
Dec 2015
Well I guess my opinion won't be any difference then any of yours ladys and gentleman , the difference will be the way I will say them . For an anime to be entertaining and attracting it must have a consistent plot/story , character development , a good ost , fan service (optional) and the most important , a big episode number.
Now then , the animation varies ,since there are animes that are older then the present ones , so you can expect that the animation might not be to your liking, but most of them are tolerable for me,while in the present animes , the animations are well done (most of them , some of them just have a either a plain art or an unusual art style) but most of them lack story and number of episodes (unless it gets a 2nd seaosn) .
Plots/stories are in a big variety , so it depends on the individual and his taste to decide if its satisfying or not.
Character development , as you might know , it is strongly linked to the story line of the anime , as the story is progressing ,so should the characters evolve , become stronger etc.
Music and OST wise , again , it depends on the individual if he likes it or not ,but generally , ost's are in the anime , to be linked to funny/action/dramatic or any other scene in the anime , to not make it feel like its a dull , no-music and boring scene , to give it a specific feel on that scene.
Fan service (depending on the viewer of the anime) well , it depends if you like perverted things or not , if you dislike that , fan service scenes in the anime will kinda have a negative effect on the anime for you , but for me fan service is there only to bring either a comedic scene , or just eye-candy or faping material (the animes that are ONLY about fan service are kinda laking in any other part of the anime , except animation and music maybe, and like that we might jump to hentais then watch the anime).
Now here comes the part that I like to consider it really important in the anime , the episode number . Like the chapters in a book or manga , if there is a long story adapted to a little number of episode , you might be unsatisfied be the anime , because it will be laking from characters to important story parts , and here we have most of our mainstream , light novel adaption or other material ,that are usually 12 episodes , and if there wont be a 2nd season , most likely you will say :' Was that all the story , really ?' .
Now ,this is my opinion about the elements of the anime , but again , sometimes , some parts are compensating missing parts , example: A good story , compensating an old animation (most old animes that came out like from < 2010 ) .And again , do not forget , that animating a series costs MONEY , if the buget is kinda limited for a >25 episode anime + animation , story and music , if it wasn't another issue , its about the budget that is limited
TheC0pyC4tMay 14, 2016 6:16 AM
May 14, 2016 6:14 AM

Mar 2015
Everything. Nothing is more important than the others imo. If the plot of an anime is bad, it's just as horrible as having DEEN-tier visuals (unless you're Kono Suba).
May 14, 2016 6:18 AM

Dec 2012
From a selling point of view I would say the animation tbh.
May 14, 2016 6:35 AM

Oct 2011
I can't really pick one since all of them are equally important and should be given equal attention.

May 14, 2016 8:05 AM

Nov 2012
Visuals. It's the only thing that's unique to anime really. The stories can be told in other mediums (and they are) and the sound can also be used in other mediums barring voice acting.
May 14, 2016 8:13 AM

Dec 2012
The fact that it's Japanese. That's the main appeal for anime for me personally. Same reason why I recently got into Korean movies. Frankly I never really cared that much for it's unique animation compared to US cartoons.

The fact you get to explore a foreign culture to you through it, makes it the greatest asset of the medium to me.
May 15, 2016 12:54 AM

Dec 2015
Story

You can have a story without there being a setting or sound but you can't have a setting or sound without there being a story.

As much as I do agree that sound and visuals are incredibly crucial, I couldn't give a shit if an anime doesn't have a story to itself to give proper significance to the audio and sound and that they're genuinely being used properly rather than just to make the anime looks good from the outside. Yes, anime is for the eyes and to look at nice visuals, but there's no point in that if that's the only aspect I'd be exploring. Additionally, this also takes massive impact on the original source material due to the poor advertisement. People would just think that the source material consist of an nonexistent plot, even though it might not.
Why yu gettin' cheeky? (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is there an extension that helps you fully block someone?

APolygons2 - 9 hours ago

21 by APolygons2 »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 2 hours ago

9 by jieanteater »»
9 minutes ago

» Why is netorare so hated? ( 1 2 )

Je-suis-lui - Apr 9

57 by TheDarkLordOtaku »»
17 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

80 by Ryuseishun »»
30 minutes ago

» Light novel adaptation and boring ending

Ri-KoRin - 6 hours ago

10 by TheDarkLordOtaku »»
32 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.