Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Weekly Light Novel Rankings for Apr 25 - May 1

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 6, 2016 4:03 AM

Mar 2012
ZoroZoldyck said:
Actually Conan's movie has been doing extremely well and it's topping the rankings of Japan's box office.

No wonder the LN is also doing well.
However, is it exactly the same as the movie?
Isn't it usually just supplementary material?
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
May 9, 2016 9:09 PM

Sep 2014
I'm curious.
Did Hidan no Aria always sell this much?
May 9, 2016 9:42 PM
Dec 2011
Konoetan said:
I'm curious.

Yes, in fact Hidan no Aria is considered MF Bunko J's best-selling LN series having the most number of copies in print.
May 9, 2016 11:58 PM

Dec 2011
AP24 said:
Konoetan said:
I'm curious.

Yes, in fact Hidan no Aria is considered MF Bunko J's best-selling LN series having the most number of copies in print.

Source for that?

Most recent source I could find put Haganai on top, which matches what would be expected from the sales figures (it has half as many volumes but the average volume sold well over twice as much as the average Aria volume), and I don't think there's any data for Zero no Tsukaima since 2011, when it was only 10% below Aria's tally as of more than 3 years later.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
May 10, 2016 2:13 AM
Dec 2011
^It is my estimate based on some data I found. At the very least Hidan no Aria is definitely one of MF Bunko J's 3 most successful series along with Haganai and Zero no Tsukaima.

Hidan no Aria and Zero no Tsukaima LN probably average around 100k per main volume and have over 20 main volumes. Few months ago Zero no Tsukaima LN and manga reached 6.6 million copies total and Hidan no Aria reached 7.0 million copies last month.

Haganai sold 200k+ per main volume but only had 11 main volumes. When Vol 9 was released 3 years ago the entire LN and manga series had 6.2 million copies total in print. By now it should be over 7 million copies maybe even 8 million copies.

So I guess Haganai is MF Bunko J's most successful series of all time but the series is finished (though the manga is still ongoing). Hidan no Aria is the current best-selling series with LN and manga of the main series and AA series all still ongoing.
May 10, 2016 4:24 AM

Dec 2011
If Aria is 7m then I'd expect Haganai to be close to 10m by now.

UNLESS, that is, Aria's figure includes AA, which sells about as well as the Aria manga, and would mean that it's likely that more of Aria's sales aside from during the anime boost have come from manga than novels, whereas for Haganai the sales would be relatively heavily skewed towards the novels (almost certainly triple as many sales for the novels as for the manga even now), and we don't have any sales data for Zero no Tsukaima's manga, which would indicate at least a 6:1 novel:manga split when you factor in the number of volumes.

The fact that Aria was only 5m just 2 years earlier would suggest that AA is included. Either that or there are a heck of a lot of Aria volumes sitting in some warehouse somewhere.

If your figures for ZnT and HnA are correct, and AA is included in HnA, then I would speculate at about 4m for novels and 3m for manga for Aria, and about 5.5-6m for novels and 600k-1m for manga for ZnT. Haganai probably about 6.5-7m for novels and 2-2.5m for manga. If AA isn't included then it's hard to make Aria's figure for the last couple of years make sense (it isn't a series that shows signs of having an extremely strong tail, which it would need).

I would agree that those three are likely MF Bunko J's biggest titles, but I'm pretty sure Aria is third of the three, and likely by quite some distance.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
May 10, 2016 6:01 AM
Dec 2011
Here are the list for all LN series that I estimate had sold above 100k per main volume based on all the data I found:

300k+
SAO (Dengeki Bunko, ASCII Media Works)
Haruhi Suzumiya series (Kadokawa Sneaker Bunko, Kadokawa Shoten)
Kagerou Daze (KCG Bunko, Enterbrain)

200k+
Mahouka (Dengeki Bunko, ASCII Media Works)
Index series (Dengeki Bunko, ASCII Media Works)
OreImo (Dengeki Bunko, ASCII Media Works)
Haganai (MF Bunko J, Media Factory)
Yahari (Gagaga Bunko, Shogakukan)
Monogatari series (Kodansha BOX, Kodansha)
Baka to Test (Famitsu Bunko, Enterbrain)

150k+
Durarara (Dengeki Bunko, ASCII Media Works)
No Game No Life (MF Bunko J, Media Factory)
IS (MF Bunko J, Media Factory & Overlap Bunko, Overlap)
DanMachi (GA Bunko, Softbank Creative)
Kotenbu series (Kadokawa Shoten)

100k+
Accel World (Dengeki Bunko, ASCII Media Works)
Toradora (Dengeki Bunko, ASCII Media Works)
Kino’s Journey (Dengeki Bunko, ASCII Media Works)
Shakugan no Shana (Dengeki Bunko, ASCII Media Works)
Spice & Wolf (Dengeki Bunko, ASCII Media Works)
Hidan no Aria (MF Bunko J, Media Factory)
Zero no Tsukaima (MF Bunko J, Media Factory)
Date A Live (Fujimi Fantasia Bunko, Fujimi Shobo)
Full Metal Panic (Fujimi Fantasia Bunko, Fujimi Shobo)
Seitokai no Ichizon series (Fujimi Fantasia Bunko, Fujimi Shobo)
KonoSuba (Kadokawa Sneaker Bunko, Kadokawa Shoten)
Overlord (Enterbrain)
May 10, 2016 6:42 AM

Dec 2011
Toradora wants pushing up - even the very last volume sold over 150k. 200k average is possible there but it definitely wants to be on the 150k one at least.
Saiunkoku Monogatari is at least 150k+
Boukyaku Tantei series is known to be 100k+ and is almost certainly 150k+
Kokuhaku Yokou-Renshuu is known to be 100k+ and is probably 150k+

Other than that, and ignoring hit series that ended before the sales data started like Slayers, manga spin-offs, and things of questionable status, that looks reasonable at least.

edit: Kotenbu series is almost certainly in the 200k+ category - 929k known sales from 5 volumes, and the sales from the first few years after release aren't included.
edit again: removed mention of CSR - I didn't realise how many volumes it ran on for. Still very likely 100k+ though
kuuderes_shadowMay 10, 2016 6:58 AM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Today

21 by VanishingKira »»
16 minutes ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

95 by RobertBobert »»
3 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:38 PM

» Netflix Announces 'Garouden: The Way of the Lone Wolf' Anime for May 2024

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

10 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.