Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 4, 2016 12:47 AM

Nov 2010
Even though there are certain plot thread that are still left open on Zou, and the island itself is surely going to come back into the plot sooner or later, the arc itself has basically ended, so I think we can rate it.

What I wanted to say about this arc is basically: the timeskip curse has been lifted.
The arc itself was mighty good on all surfaces, and the things it set up for the next arcs are as exciting as they can be.

Everything clicked in this arc: the back and forth flashback-present time narration of its first half; the flashback itself, with Mink and Jack awesomness; the minks themselves that turned out to be the best race in the manga; the big revalations that after 800 chapter of swimming just straight ahead finally set a final goal on the horizon; the plot iteslf that delivered one of the best plot twist in the entire manga, on par with upper yard and cp9 revalations; the colorful cast of characters, zero of them annyoing(no kids or rikus!); Capone Bege showing his awesomeness; and finally the island itself, full of beauty and creativity.

There's been plenty of great hype, but what the arc did on its own, it did just as good, and I can't wait to learn where Zunisha is walking to and how Beast Pirates were able to locate it. I have a feeling that once we learn this, this arc is going to look even better.

Also, the SH interactions were very fun to watch. Dressrosa was lacking in that chemistry, so its good to see it back.

9/10
May 4, 2016 4:57 AM

Jun 2013
Better than what we got 'till now since the TS/10. Joke aside (not really), 8/10, very enjoyable arc, it was short, but that's what made it better.
May 4, 2016 5:01 AM

Nov 2012
Ye me too 8/10 but finally felt like the old One piece again, i agree on that. Tho
May 4, 2016 5:24 AM

Mar 2014
Best arc post-TS/10.
May 4, 2016 6:36 AM
Aug 2015
A high-6 or a low-7.
it's an amazing score for an arc that mostly consist of exposition and dialogue.

The biggest factor of the low score is the lack of decisive fight, it really leave something to be desired, this arc could be an easy 8 if there's one.
And the lack of SH's interaction between crew really made me feel Oda rushed this arc a bit but nonetheless, it had a pretty good flow throughout the arc with pretty shocking revelation one after another, and there's no random shift in focus to some random running and padding which is really a good thing, if Oda actually want to do some fast-paced and rushed through this arc, then he did it fairly well.

All in all, compared to prior Arc post TS, this arc really felt that Oda actually knew what he's doing.
May 4, 2016 11:03 AM

Jun 2012
I don't know if I could give it an "accurate" rating since it's an in-between arc like Loguetown/Jaya but it was very good. Fun and likable new characters, subversion of the typical arc formula, Bege finally getting spotlight and showing competence, great character interactions and chemistry, great plot twists and tons of new info regarding the lore and titular treasure.

Definitely my favorite thing from post-timeskip One Piece along with Film Z. Hope Oda keeps this level of quality up with WCI and Wano
OldBayFanMay 6, 2016 10:41 AM
May 4, 2016 11:11 AM

Dec 2014
Dahaka_ said:
Even though there are certain plot thread that are still left open on Zou, and the island itself is surely going to come back into the plot sooner or later, the arc itself has basically ended, so I think we can rate it.

What I wanted to say about this arc is basically: the timeskip curse has been lifted.
The arc itself was mighty good on all surfaces, and the things it set up for the next arcs are as exciting as they can be.

Everything clicked in this arc: the back and forth flashback-present time narration of its first half; the flashback itself, with Mink and Jack awesomness; the minks themselves that turned out to be the best race in the manga; the big revalations that after 800 chapter of swimming just straight ahead finally set a final goal on the horizon; the plot iteslf that delivered one of the best plot twist in the entire manga, on par with upper yard and cp9 revalations; the colorful cast of characters, zero of them annyoing(no kids or rikus!); Capone Bege showing his awesomeness; and finally the island itself, full of beauty and creativity.

There's been plenty of great hype, but what the arc did on its own, it did just as good, and I can't wait to learn where Zunisha is walking to and how Beast Pirates were able to locate it. I have a feeling that once we learn this, this arc is going to look even better.

Also, the SH interactions were very fun to watch. Dressrosa was lacking in that chemistry, so its good to see it back.

9/10

Agree with everything you said, Zou definitely takes the best Post Time-Skip arc for now. Despite it''s short length it was still adventurous, intriguing and had the classic One Piece feel too it with loads of plot building.

If anything I'd say the lack of a decisive fight for any SH member was the only sad part. Though the upcoming arc should fix it
9/10
May 4, 2016 12:49 PM

May 2015
After fishman island we had like 3 chapters before going into punk hazard and, mostly, immediately going into the very lengthy Dressrosa. So, it was a necessary breather arc, same world building Fishman Island had at the near end just more of it. It was a great transitional arc, nothing more, Fishman Island(worst OP arc probably, tho not *bad*) and Punk Hazard were I guess you can say worse arcs. Ceasar was not a very good character until Dressrosa Arc(and he's been great since) and Hody was a bad character all around. Fishmand Island had more good stuff though, Dressrosa had more good stuff(obviously, being 100 chapters), because it wasn't really a complete arc.

A good one, that was calm, that benefits the story, that was necessary, that was transitionally good for the arc before and after it.

Serves it's purpose, but it was transitional, like Whiskey Peak, Louguetown and Jaya were. Jaya beats it as a transitional arc simply because it has better chapters, and better scenes, and better supporting characters. Far better scenes("A man's dreams, will never die! Am I right?"). Loguetown was a suuper important transitional arc. This was a less important one, but one none-the-less, so I say not bad. Great transitional arc, that's it. It just is what it is. I like the way it uses flashbacks too.

If the barometers is the amount of good content an arc had, Dressrosa runs circles around it, obviously. Dressrosa had some bad threads though, but when you go on for that many chapters you're bound to get something as good as Senor Pink's flashback, or Mingo's, or Law's. Or Usopp's funny redemption scene(which made that scene where he ran away seem less terrible in hindsight, though still ehh). But this was too short to have bad stuff, so there you have it.

Not a concise post, far from it, but it was good I'd say. Sure.

Edit: I mean, it was 20 chapter arc, breather's are good but it's not like it makes or breaks anything.
ashfrliebertMay 7, 2016 1:01 AM
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
May 6, 2016 11:21 PM

Nov 2015
An arc that packs a hell of a punch in 20 odd chapters. Big step forward for the story. Forecast of a Huge shitstorm up ahead. Ticks all the right boxes for a set-up arc. 9/10.
I read One Piece arc by arc. Zou made me break that habit and read it weekly. Unfortunately, it made me expect too much. The couple of chapters released in the next arc haven't been quite upto that standard..
"There's your truth and there's my truth. As for the Universal Truth - it doesn't exist."
May 6, 2016 11:29 PM

Sep 2013
8/10

Short, not dragged out and lots of set up and info.
The torture part with the loyalty twist was the best moment :'(
May 8, 2016 3:26 AM

Jun 2011
Probably an 8/10, lovable arc but lacking some sort of confrontation as some people have said. Jack coming back gave me hope but Zunisha fodderized that biatch. Would have loved to stay for a while if it wasn't for the urgency of Sanji rescue mission.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 19, 2016 12:36 PM

Mar 2009
8/10, definitely. Excellent arc. Oda built up so much. And I love the Minks.
Apr 3, 2018 9:16 PM
Apr 2015
Personally i think this is one of the worst one piece arc ive ever seen., Almost Half the arc is a damn flashback. I like the mink tribe and new characters, arc was just boring

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1069 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FMmatron - Dec 6, 2022

86 by Kakuneon »»
Apr 17, 11:48 PM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1112 Discussion

AhriTheS3xyFox - Apr 16

3 by thebrentinator24 »»
Apr 17, 8:34 PM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 5 Discussion

JoquishaJoestar - Jan 19, 2010

32 by vsuc »»
Apr 17, 1:43 PM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1111 Discussion

FMmatron - Mar 19

47 by Zorowork »»
Apr 16, 2:27 AM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 768 Discussion

YerinArelius - Nov 19, 2014

47 by KoniginElle »»
Apr 14, 2:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.