Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 2, 2016 2:50 PM
Apr 2016
I recently asked about good first anime, but I'm curious as to what you think makes a certain anime good for beginners?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 2, 2016 2:54 PM

Oct 2014
It depends who you're recommending it to. I never would have gotten into anime if someone tried to get me to watch Naruto or Bleach first.

-Contains content a variety of people can enjoy
-Short enough to not give up on too early (50 episodes or less)
-Good conclusion
-Art style that the viewer likes (varies)
May 2, 2016 2:57 PM

Jun 2015
I'd say that depends on the individual.
May 2, 2016 2:58 PM

Feb 2013
Did you just post the same question twice?

Also, it's good if it makes you want to watch more.
May 2, 2016 3:03 PM
Apr 2016
Kezone said:
Did you just post the same question twice?

Also, it's good if it makes you want to watch more.

No, my last question was about recommendations for first anime. It does seem like I posted it twice, though XD
May 2, 2016 3:26 PM
Sep 2014
elfen lied got me back to watching anime after 10 years of not watching anime. but i don't think normal people would like it. i would let them watch SAO or something like that.
May 2, 2016 3:34 PM

Oct 2015
It depends on the person, Some people might want something simple like Sword Art Online to start off with.

Other people might want something complex like Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex or Ergo Proxy immediately, especially if they already like watching and reading complicated movies, books and comics.

Generally I think something like Code Geass, Full Metal Alchmeist: Brotherhood, Cowboy Bebop and Death Note are pretty good animes for most beginners.

The first anime I actuelly watched (besides Pokemon and stuff like that) was Initial-D.
May 2, 2016 3:49 PM

Oct 2015
If it has a good story, "realistic" characters and is westernised. Having well-choreographed action (shootouts and/or "realistic" swordfights) also helps. Newcomers will often feel alienated by stuff that is very "japanese".

Going by this I would say that Cowboy Bebop is the best gateway anime.
May 2, 2016 4:31 PM

Sep 2015
Well, as with the other question, it depends on the viewer and their predispositions. But as for a few general rules of thumb, having it be accessible to newcomers is a must. If it contains many references to other works, parodies, etc, it won't be received as well because a newbie isn't going to understand them.
The length of the series shouldn't be too long, either. Something too long can put people off, and it might affect their impressions of anime too much. It wouldn't necessarily have to be entirely succinct, but something which drags on and on and on could paint their impression negatively.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
May 2, 2016 10:37 PM

Dec 2015
Pay attention to the movies the beginner likes. If he likes straightforward stuff it's not a good idea to start with something like Ergo Proxy but Nisekoi might be alright. If he likes thrillers and stuff you could go for something like Monster or Death Note.

Also, go for stuff that is pretty "western". Anime that are very Japanese by nature like for example Monogatari might be a bit too weird for a starter unless he has some knowledge about Japanese culture already.
May 2, 2016 10:42 PM

Nov 2015
Being the closest thing to either live action (like death note) or western animation (kinda like code Geass a little bit).

But most importantly out should be easily accessible and should be able to be picked up by people unfamiliar to the medium.
May 2, 2016 11:27 PM

Mar 2016
I have found studio Ghibli movies to be perfect starter movies to introduce anime to new people. What makes them great is they are well dubbed which is easier to convince someone to try than subbed at first usually. The animation is more fluid and of high quality art. Generally made for larger demographics so the story resonates with the majority. Plus besides a handful most are not too out there.
May 2, 2016 11:28 PM

Sep 2009
I'd say something that rates highly in the metrics the watcher is interested in, and isn't too foreign in concept (particularly in cultural values or mannerisms).
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
May 3, 2016 3:34 AM

May 2013
Imo the best anime to watch first are the shittiest. That way you can actually enjoy it.. I remember one of my earliest animes were clannad and nothing was ever able to compete with it.. Wish I saved that for my 300th anime or something..
May 3, 2016 3:36 AM

Sep 2014
Literally anything enjoyable, doesn't have to be popular shows or generic first anime.
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"
May 3, 2016 3:47 AM

Jan 2016
It depends for most individuals but in general, I would say that an anime with concepts that is universally used in other mediums are your best bet...like Cowboy Bebop.
May 3, 2016 3:50 AM
Jan 2013
Pretty much anything might cause a case of imprinting to the person
gone bai bai
May 3, 2016 3:54 AM

Jul 2014
It all depends on said beginner... any anyway can be good or bad depending on the person's taste~
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
May 3, 2016 3:54 AM
Aug 2015
Anything that contains lots of violence and that isn't moe.
May 3, 2016 4:01 AM

Jan 2015
An anime is good for beginners if it leaves them pleased with what the series delivered and leaves them wanting more anime.
May 3, 2016 4:02 AM

Dec 2015
I think a distinct western influence is a good thing to have when first showing adults anime. Children will generally just accept what they're shown, but I've found that many adults who try watching anime are put off by unfamiliar culture and tropes. The fan-service in particular can put some people off even the best anime (which is up to them, but certainly limits what anime you can watch). By the same token we get nothing too foreign or fan-servicey.

Related to that is a good dub. It's much easier to get someone to watch something in their native language than to read subtitles.

Another thing is that it has more "mature" themes. Not gore or violence necessarily, but not something we in the west might expect from a show aimed at children. That being said, then ideas presented also need to be accessible to the viewer or they'll lose interest.

Look at FMA/FMA:B. Both are well animated, have mature but accessible ideas and themes, are set in a western-esque state, have a good dub and don't have too many anime tropes or fan-service. You could say the same for Cowboy Bebop, Attack on Titan, Death Note or Ghost in the Shell (apart from the fan-service in that last one).

For kids or young adults I think its a bit different, since they're less aware and less sensitive to fan-service and tropes, and mature themes aren't always appropriate or obvious to them.
May 3, 2016 4:12 AM

Feb 2015
Something that is thrilling and have a lot of actions in it
May 3, 2016 4:44 AM

Apr 2016
Well I would say that what makes a good first Anime would matter by age, if you are a kid then I would say that you should have a light harded concept, probably from the comedy genre, with "show offy" characters and japanese culture references that aren't to hard to understand, kind of like Pokemon (my first Anime). If you are a teenager then I would probably say a concept thats a bit dark at times, with drama, and very cool fight scenes. If you are an adult than... I really dont know, i am still a teenager lol! (^-^)
(this isn't 100% true, this is only how it was for me and how I felt at those ages but I wouldn't say that this is true for everyone).
May 3, 2016 4:49 AM

May 2015
Accessible; has a catchy premise that immediately grabs the viewer
Has fast-pacing with attention-grabbing events
Has a unique, distinct art style and lots of Cool Factor
Not too much fanservice
Has a balance of depth and fun. It should be able to tell both an exciting story about defeating the baddies while exploring deeper themes; showing anime is capable of both.

If you come from the arthouse crowd, then it's shows like Haibane Renmei/Texhnolyze/Ergo Proxy that will catch your attention.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
May 3, 2016 4:50 AM

Apr 2016
what make a good first anime?

1. it was good (u enjoy)
2. it was first anime u watch

that make good first anime
May 3, 2016 4:54 AM

Apr 2016
if you're a noob on watching anime,
1. I'd suggest you look for the top ranked ones. it's goot to start with one of the best that anime can offer.
2. unless you REALLY want to watch it, try to avoid long running animes like naruto, onepiece, or fairy tail. it's pretty understandable if people who are new to the anime world wouldn't enjoy it as much as the real fans. these top 3 (and many others actually) are animes that you grow up with, not something you binge watch to.
3. Noobs are too soon to be given fanservices (but really, it still depends on the person you recommend the anime to). You want to make a good first impression about anime, not the weird ones just yet.
May 3, 2016 6:44 AM
Apr 2015
1. Decently good art style/animation
2. Plot/story that isn't too confusing and is enjoyable for many people
3. Maybe even "generic" to show what anime is like for newcomers
4. Not too many episodes
May 3, 2016 7:11 AM

Jun 2015
I'd recommend something that defines anime, so to speak. I want to recommend something that will give them a good impression of anime as a whole. Something that will possibly make them want to delve deeper into the medium.

Examples would be:

Fullmetal Alchemist
Gurren Lagann
Samurai Champloo
Hunter x Hunter
Soul Eater
Death Note
One Punch Man
Toradora!
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Parasyte
Angel Beats!
Sword of the Stranger
Mushishi
Studio Ghibli films

These shows are very "anime"-like, and therefore easily recommendable to first-time viewers. I would not recommend shows like Black Lagoon, Monster, Serial Experiments Lain, etc., because regardless of how good they are, they are far too different from what you'd normally see in anime. So for that reason, I don't see them as a good way to introduce what anime is, because those shows aren't "anime" enough.

I also wouldn't recommend shows like Naruto or Attack on Titan. Not because they're bad per se, but because they contain many tired out tropes that are likely to give a first-time viewer bad impressions.
May 3, 2016 7:16 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
Nagirah said:
I would suggest something that is popular and generally liked in the community. That kind of anime have a higher chance of being appealing for someone who is watching for the first time and hasn't formed any preferences yet. FMA: Brotherhood was my starter anime and I think it's perfect for the job.

I disagree. Bakemonogatari fits the criterium and I don't think that it would encourage anyone into anime. The same goes for Higurashi etc

Topic:
I would ask that person for genres he/she likes first. Then pick a good anime from this genre/genres that contains as little weirdness as possible.
May 3, 2016 8:35 AM

Jan 2014
It simply depends on the person.

You are not going to recommend an episodic anime to someone looking for a continuous narrative. You won't recommend a horror anime to someone looking for sports, etc.

That being said, anime that offer a variety of stuff are usually the best options.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
May 3, 2016 8:42 AM

Feb 2011
ease of access is probably the most important factor
most peoples first anime was dbz cuz it was on every day at like 5 PM on cartoon network
May 3, 2016 9:39 AM

Jun 2015
If that anime will make you to break the time barrier!
May 3, 2016 10:02 AM

Apr 2014
That is an easy question, the people who make the anime, since they MADE the anime.
May 4, 2016 9:53 AM

May 2015
AltoRoark said:
I'd recommend something that defines anime, so to speak. I want to recommend something that will give them a good impression of anime as a whole. Something that will possibly make them want to delve deeper into the medium.

Examples would be:

Fullmetal Alchemist
Gurren Lagann
Samurai Champloo
Hunter x Hunter
Soul Eater
Death Note
One Punch Man
Toradora!
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Parasyte
Angel Beats!
Sword of the Stranger
Mushishi
Studio Ghibli films

These shows are very "anime"-like, and therefore easily recommendable to first-time viewers. I would not recommend shows like Black Lagoon, Monster, Serial Experiments Lain, etc., because regardless of how good they are, they are far too different from what you'd normally see in anime. So for that reason, I don't see them as a good way to introduce what anime is, because those shows aren't "anime" enough.

I also wouldn't recommend shows like Naruto or Attack on Titan. Not because they're bad per se, but because they contain many tired out tropes that are likely to give a first-time viewer bad impressions.

The main thing I remember about Monster and SEL is how Western they are, especially SEL in its techno-paranoia. I might recommend it to a newcomer, but it won't explain well how anime works.
May 4, 2016 9:06 PM

Sep 2013
Comedy, seriousness, and badassery.

Case in point: Trigun.
May 4, 2016 9:49 PM
Dec 2015
I believe that a first good anime.. Should be interesting.. Meaning it should keep us thinking n at the same time keep us in the range of understanding what the anime is about.. Secondly it should have a little action in whether at the start or at the end.. Or even in the middle. BT it does not necessarily have to be in their bt just keep it a bit spicy. A good example is mahouka koukou no restsui. Something like that (i am talking about the name.. Kl) thirdly most important that's to me though.. Ensure animation n characters are top notch quality oor rather be characters are next to non-fictional reality.. N that the anime be logical/reasonable in meaning to the story..There
are more bt it bothers/annoys me to do this.. So later. Si
May 4, 2016 10:41 PM

Nov 2009
Important factors (in that order)
1) Accesibility. Dubbed (in that person's language) anime is a good idea; anime that does not rely on Japanese things and anime things is a must. If there is no dub in your language, sub in a foreign language is better than dub in a foreign language!

2) The person's tastes. Offer a person something that he/she likes.
You don't need to match the tastes exactly: offer mecha to a military fan; offer magic girls to a magic fan.

3) Anime with broad appeal. MAL's top anime mostly got there by being such anime, but you can use your own judgment too.

4) Some elements are only appreciated after you've watched some anime. In particular, sexual fanservice probably wouldn't be appreciated by beginners, so don't recommend shows with a lot if it.

On_the_Lam said:

The anime that got me into the medium was Cardcaptor Sakura. It pretty much runs on moe.
May 4, 2016 10:43 PM

Sep 2009
Particularly something that doesn't culture shock you with boobs, pantyshots, and harems.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
May 4, 2016 10:49 PM

Mar 2015
Make sure it doesn't reaffirm people's predispositions/stereotypes about anime. Unless they embrace it.
“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth. But the world isn't perfect, and the law is incomplete..." -Alphonse Elric

"Then and now, what I protect has never changed!" -Sakata Gintoki

I'll take anything like The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. Anything as good as that.
May 5, 2016 4:25 AM

May 2015
flannan said:
Important factors (in that order)
1) Accesibility. Dubbed (in that person's language) anime is a good idea; anime that does not rely on Japanese things and anime things is a must. If there is no dub in your language, sub in a foreign language is better than dub in a foreign language!

2) The person's tastes. Offer a person something that he/she likes.
You don't need to match the tastes exactly: offer mecha to a military fan; offer magic girls to a magic fan.

3) Anime with broad appeal. MAL's top anime mostly got there by being such anime, but you can use your own judgment too.

4) Some elements are only appreciated after you've watched some anime. In particular, sexual fanservice probably wouldn't be appreciated by beginners, so don't recommend shows with a lot if it.

On_the_Lam said:

The anime that got me into the medium was Cardcaptor Sakura. It pretty much runs on moe.

Moe is very rare in the West. It's unique to anime so it might actually capture people. It'll show them anime has something the West doesn't.
May 5, 2016 7:07 AM
Aug 2015
flannan said:

On_the_Lam said:

I was actually being sarcastic, although there's still some truth in my statement.
May 5, 2016 7:12 AM

Jan 2015
It really does depend on the person.
Death Note works most of the time though, it's interesting story shows what anime can do.
May 5, 2016 7:28 AM
May 2009
I can't really say, since I never considered anime to be different from any sort of media when I was growing up.

And the first anime I watched was for anyone one, and was episodic, and it was Doraemon.
May 5, 2016 9:30 PM

Jul 2013
I don't think there is a definitive "Ultimate First Anime", because everyone has their own predispositions. Ask what kinds of movies/tv shows/books they like, and find an anime similar. There is at least one anime for literally every kind of western genre out there.

If they like Comedy, try something like Working or Azumangah Daioh. If they like sports, try the latest sports show, which I guess is Haikyu. If they like horror, give suggestions like Shiki or Higurashi. I hear people all the time point to either Cowboy Bebop or Dragonball, and say "This show is the best show for newcomers, and while they are both fine shows, they are not for everyone, and showing them to someone who doesn't like sci-fi, or action shows is going to turn them off, and do more damage than if they were to just randomly pick a show from netflix or crunchyroll or something.
May 5, 2016 9:58 PM

Apr 2016
I'm assuming you're looking for something to recommend to a friend who's a Westerner, so I'll just share the guidelines I use when picking a series to recommend to my American friends:

• It must end within 26 episodes or so, because seeing something like "episode 1 of 700" can be intimidating for beginners.
  • It should have a sequel, because this makes it easy for the beginner to pick a "second anime" by himself, if he liked the first.
  • It must be something that the beginner can relate to. If the beginner doesn't know anything about Japanese culture, for example, you might want to avoid, or at least be very careful when recommending comedy or romance.
  • It should have a happy ending. Tragedy and pathos are universal, but a beginner usually won't appreciate series that weigh heavily on the heart. For similar reasons, avoid series with depictions of rape, torture, etc. unless your friend is into that kind of stuff.
  • [It should not be too strange or wacky. A beginner will often find "high-level" series to be nearly incomprehensible, which, in turn, means that he or she won't be able to enjoy it. As a rule of thumb, avoid BL, GL, yandere, gore, genre cocktails, series centered on strange concepts, series where the main character(s) aren't human (or human-like organisms), and series that aren't focused on plot[/b]; try to recommend something with a plot and setting that would feel familiar to Westerners who don't watch anime.
  • It must be of a genre that the beginner is interested in. If the beginner can't handle horror movies, then don't show him a horror series. At the same time, you have to make sure the series remains true to the genre if the beginner is a fan. For example, a detective mystery series needs to follow Knox's ten commandments if you want to please a fan of detective fiction.
  • And, finally, it must be a series that you have watched and remember. Always watch something first before recommending it to a friend, because you(r recommendation) is part of the reason why he watches it in the first place. Make sure you're able to have a conversation with him about the series after he has watched it.

So, yeah, those are the guidelines I use when recommending things to my American friends (they may need to be modified depending on what culture your friend grew up in) who are new to anime. For the record, I find that slightly older (15-25 years) fantasy and science fiction series tend to work best, and the ones I've found myself recommending the most are Slayers and Seikai no Monshou.
May 5, 2016 11:01 PM

Mar 2016
I think Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is a great first anime. It has a great story line, is emotionally engaging, has a great art style, fantastic action and is not overly long.
May 5, 2016 11:06 PM

Dec 2012
Depends on the person lol. Try something casual peeps like, new anime peeps normally like those.
May 5, 2016 11:11 PM

Feb 2013
some shounenshit or kids show
i think this is how most of us started
May 5, 2016 11:27 PM
Oct 2014
At the risk of repeating what others have said:

1. It should have broad appeal.

Something in the adventure genre would be good, as long as it's not just a string of repetitive battles. A little science fiction or fantasy would be nice, as long as it's not too deep or heavy. Slowing down the pace to give time for character development will appeal to those who aren't fans of action, especially if you add a bit of romance.

I would suggest a male MC simply because it's harder to make a female MC who appeals to men than to make a male MC who appeals to women. However, it should also include a strong female supporting character.

2. It should be relatively short.

2-3 seasons of 12 episodes each should be about right. After that, the casual anime viewer may lose interest. Each season should feel like it has a happy and satisfying ending.

3. It should be fairly episodic.

This is so you don't have to try to convince someone to watch the show from the beginning. It's easier to convince them to invest only half an hour to watch a single episode, and if the show is episodic it allows you to pick your favorite A two-minute explanation of the story and description of the main characters should be enough so that they're not confused if they watch Episode 9 without any background.

4. The main characters should be strong but relatable.

A typical wimpy harem MC will disgust first-time watchers. An overpowered MC will have first-time watchers rolling their eyes because it just confirms their biases.

Less important than his physical strength or powers is his confidence. He shouldn't be arrogant, but he should be capable of making decisions and sticking with them, and he shouldn't feel threatened when others take a confrontational tone. This is the type of character that everyone can both admire and relate to.

5. The show should be about something.

The main theme or idea of the show should be easily explained in one sentence.

The details of the storyline aren't as important as long as the show is constantly reminding the viewer of the main idea. Stray from that idea too far and it loses focus, which tends to make the viewer lose interest.

6. The tone should be fairly light.

This goes back to the "broad appeal." Some people just plain don't like dark or heavy shows. But even fans of dark and heavy can still appreciate something lighter.

A bit of humor sprinkled throughout the show is good, but it shouldn't dominate. Not everyone likes comedy.

7. Stay away from the more hardcore themes.

No blood. No nudity, or even gratuitous panty shots. No incestuous themes. No lolicon. No yuri and especially no yaoi.

If characters die, make sure they're not ones the viewers are emotionally invested in. It's okay to kill villains and the occasional side character.

8. Feel free to throw out any of the above rules to tailor your recommendation to particular people. If you have a friend who likes slasher movies, go ahead and show him something with lots of blood and guts. If you have a friend who's unashamed about his porn habit, get him started on ecchi harem shows.
May 5, 2016 11:37 PM

May 2016
I might try throw a curve and say try out a movie such as Summer Wars since it is short with interesting animation and a realistic concept. For a full series, I know it has been said multiple times already but Fullmetall Alchemist: Brotherhood was my introduction into the anime game and I have been hooked since.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - 2 hours ago

13 by Absurdo_N »»
3 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - 3 hours ago

18 by EastIndiaCompany »»
3 minutes ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 5 hours ago

23 by Jonas-K »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - 3 hours ago

19 by alexw1020 »»
6 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

81 by 3miL »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.