Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 3, 2016 6:33 AM
Jan 2016
Just let them find thier own first anime
May 3, 2016 6:39 AM

Jul 2015
Psycho pass, Death note, Steins gate, No game No life and ERASED are pretty good ones, and all of them cover many anime genres.
May 3, 2016 6:49 AM
May 2016
hellsing ultimate nd sword are online nd mirai niki
May 3, 2016 7:02 AM
Oct 2012
For me I think Black Cat is a good idea tho
Not dark, light comedy, action is good enough, story is not that deep, kinda cool powers and stuff
May 3, 2016 7:08 AM
Dec 2013
One Piece
Yosuga no Sora
High School of the Dead
May 3, 2016 7:51 AM

Feb 2016
battle shounen, with less of fanservice like one piece, bleach, dragonball, and swag art online
it simply because fight scene in shounen anime was entertaining to watch for new anime viewer.
May 3, 2016 7:51 AM
Apr 2016
Ouran high school host club is a good gateway anime cause it's funny sweet has a lot of great jokes which become inside jokes for all anime fans and it has a bunch of amazing big names in the dub cast that was the first one i watched as an official anime fan but anything from the slayers franchise is good too watched one or two series from the franchise as a kid unknowing it was anime and also moonphase is a great gateway it's cute but dramatic and it has vampires and has a bit of romance but not a lot so yeah those are some good suggestions
May 3, 2016 8:28 AM

Nov 2014
I would say... definetly Death Note!

Why?

If you want to convince someone to give anime a try, that means they most likely won't try it on their own due to the fact that they think about anime same way as they do about western cartoons. Western cartoons are, let's be honest, cartoons. They extremely rarely open mature topics or present good story, most of them are just episodic comedy shows or action heroes shows. OR they jsut see anime as weird asian thing where are characters with weird haircolour and hairstyles, doing weird things. (that was the case with me back in the day)

In that case you need to show them anime that will all-in-one abolish such prejudice.

So why Death Note? Criminal story with flavour of horror and mystery built on logic, with good characters is interesting and has high chance of keeping that person interested in watching, since mentioned genres are widely popular. Also character depth and narrative will shatter all doubts about IT being show aimed at younger audience. Also the characters (human ones at least) look normal, no weird hair colour, no heird poses or habits, ect. ...

That's why Death Note is best entry anime to show anime virgins.

And that's the story how I got into watching anime. :)

Edit: I don't think that main reason to watch anime is because it can have mature topic and/or story, but if you want to get someone convince to try it, I really wouldnt recomend something like OreImo. :D
What is wrong with loving someone who doesn't exist ? Absolutely nothing. As long as you make peace with it.
May 3, 2016 8:45 AM
Apr 2016
Fullmetal Alchemist brotherhood ^

Maybe Fairy Tail or Bleach
May 3, 2016 8:48 AM

Aug 2014
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. Definitely. I showed it to all my friends and they ALL got into it by episode 3, and they hated anime before that.
May 3, 2016 8:51 AM
Jul 2018
mouvite said:
moodie said:
Serial Experimental Lain

Yep, it's a great choice... if you want to discourage people from watching anime.

It's for the best, then. This "community" has way too much shit taste as it is.

-----

On-topic: I'd start them off with the original Dragon Ball. Would warn them not to watch Z, though.
It's a good gateway anime. Has decent comedy, decent action, and iconic characters that anyone will recognize, so he/she can jump right into discussions.
removed-userMay 3, 2016 8:56 AM
May 3, 2016 9:18 AM

Jan 2008
Movies are always a great idea. I'd start with some Gibli films.

If you want to move on to a series, Shingeki no Kyoujin is a good one to start with, a lot of people who don't watch much anime seem to like it a lot, probably because it's similar to GoT in a few ways.

Other shounen anime with western settings help; FMA (continue with Brotherhood once the original starts diverging from the source material.), Cowboy Bebop, One Piece, One Punch Man are great shows to start with.

Picking shows with good English dubs (assuming you're from an English speaking country here, my apologies if I'm mistaken.) works as well. You're pretty much set with all the shows recommended so for on that point. (IDK about OPM tho, does that one even have an English dub?)
May 3, 2016 9:19 AM
Jun 2015
When my older brother wanted to start watch something I told him to start watching full metal alchemist/brotherhood and hunter x hunter he really liked both of them but now he won't really watch anything old with not very good animation lol
May 3, 2016 9:25 AM

Jul 2015
Depends on the age of someone, I guess.

If you turn around to a 25+ year old and say "Watch Naruto", it would probably be a bit of a stretch for them. It's often immature and it's several hundred episodes long, lots of time to dedicate to one show for a new fan. If you tell that to a teenager, they'd be more likely to go for it.

For someone young, Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Fullmetal Alchemist, Dragonball Z.

For someone older, Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, One Punch Man, Ghost in the Shell or Baccano!

Alternatively, they can just watch any Studio Ghibli movie.
May 3, 2016 9:31 AM

Feb 2016
try to avoid ecchi stuff if you want them to start watching anime,they might think that all anime is like that

Letting the days go by, let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by, water flowing underground
Into the blue again after the money's gone
Once in a lifetime, water flowing underground

(✿◕ᴗ◕)人(◕ᴗ◕✿)

May 3, 2016 9:32 AM

Jul 2014
It depends... what kind of person is your friend? Is she into romance, horror, mysteries, etc.
Base it off of the type of movies or TV shows (since she hasn't watched anime yet) she usually likes and from there, look for a similar type of anime... there's bound to be one.

If she likes movies with romance, I suggest Skip Beat! or Ao Haru Ride. If she's into fantasy and romance at the same time, then Akatsuki no Yona or Kamisama Hajimemashita. If she likes mysteries, try Gosick. If she's into sci-fi that's kinda dark, then Psycho-Pass. If she's a fan of sports... which kind is she into? If basketball then Slam Dunk or Kuroko no Basuke, if it's volleyball then Haikyuu!!, if it's baseball then Daiya no A. If she's into historical Japan with lots of sword action, then try Rurouni Kenshin or if she likes that with a little supernatural pop to it (and cute guys. lol) then try Hakuouki.

The suggestions can go on so try to narrow in on the kind of thing she's really into so that you can make anime really appeal to her. :)

Robert_Mihai said:
try to avoid ecchi stuff if you want them to start watching anime,they might think that all anime is like that

I agree with this. Unless your friend is into perverted stuff like that. lol xD
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
May 3, 2016 11:37 AM

Mar 2014
Something with minimal strange anime tropes. Strange to new people that is.
i.e.

One Punch Man
K-On!
InuYasha
Angel Beats

But ya it depends on their interests as well.
May 3, 2016 11:57 AM

Jul 2015
Calal-Chan said:
It really depends on what they like.

Death Note (crime show thing sort of)
Attack on Titan (fast paced action)
Fate Zero (slow paced action)

fate/zero isnt that good first anime but its the best :P
May 3, 2016 11:57 AM
Aug 2011
Well If I was you , I'd just recommend the one I like the most for now, like the one that I want to show the most.
May 3, 2016 12:02 PM

Jul 2015
Gurren lagann is a good first anime in my opinion

May 3, 2016 12:38 PM

May 2014
Attack on Titan
Monster
Baccano!
Rainbow
Black Butler
Romeo x Juliet

I always find that it's best to introduce friends to the more "non-anime" anime- if that makes sense-...ones that don't have typically anime-esque staples like battles that go on for episodes, OTT character designs with eyes that take up over half of their faces, or anime that have typically Japanese settings and/or humor.
A lot of that stuff might go over a first time viewer's head. They won't get it and in my experience it can act as a deterrent.

It just makes the medium a little easier to get into for someone completely new to it if it feels somewhat closer to home at first. Or maybe just find a series with a decent english dub- there are some out there!

When I first discovered anime I was completely confused, but luckily enough I'm extremely curious so I just kept watching XD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 3, 2016 12:43 PM

Apr 2016
Try popular ones that have a high approval rating from fans:
Death Note
Code Geass
FMA Brotherhood
Fate/Zero
Attack on Titan

Although taste matters a lot when suggesting something, there's a high possibility that they'd like at least one of these if they're open to anime. If they hate all of these, I honestly doubt that they will be interested in others.
bikers123May 3, 2016 12:48 PM
Something witty that makes you think I'm funny

Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier
May 3, 2016 12:50 PM

Dec 2015
Most definitely NGNL or Nanatsu. Nanatsu got me hooked after all :3
May 3, 2016 12:52 PM
May 2016
One Piece
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Attack on Titan
Dragon Ball Z Kai
May 3, 2016 2:58 PM

Jul 2015
Death Note and FMAB are obvious choices but on the d low I think Zankyou no Terror and Rainbow are good as someone's first anime
May 3, 2016 3:08 PM

Apr 2015
1st try Elfen Lied or sth much lighter like Noragami, if you'll like it - U can go forward.
I think that starting with Death Note isn't really good idea.
Other good idea is Black Lagoon.
Is it GreanPeace? I don't think so - whine to your parents or tell'em to buy sth for ur buttpain. Those ppl won't help you.
.. ..

May 3, 2016 3:15 PM

Dec 2013
All depends on the person. Personally I've always liked Giant robots so I started with Macross and Gundam, but find out what your friend likes first then go from there.
May 3, 2016 3:21 PM
Mar 2016
I think Shingeki no Kyojin is a brilliant first anime (I got many people on anime with this series)
Others I recommend:

One Punch Man (Great for laughs, good action and is just plain epic)
Clannad and Clannad: Afterstory (Great romance story, highly emotional, with zero fanservice. But the story layout may be complex)
Toradora and Golden Time (Toradora for highschool romance, Golden Time for romance out of the anime school environment, both are brilliant, although I think Golden Time is more gripping from the start).
May 3, 2016 3:32 PM
Jun 2015
I think it would depend on their general taste, you should first find out what kind of movies and shows they like then choose a corresponding anime. Otherwise they'll probably be like WTF is this
May 3, 2016 3:51 PM

Nov 2015
To start you might like Death Note, No Game No Life, Sword Art Online, Deadman Wonderland or even Mirai Nikki.
Now it's up to you to decide which one ;)
May 3, 2016 6:21 PM

Oct 2009
Ouran High School Host Club for those who like girly stuff
One Punch Man for those who like errrr manly stuff (??)
Death Note for everyone, even your dog :D

May 3, 2016 6:31 PM

Jun 2013
Classic, mainstream and fun:

Death Note, Attack on Titan, No game No life, FMAB, Akatsuki no Yona... If you push it a bit... maybe maybe SAO *cringe*
May 3, 2016 6:42 PM
Jul 2014
I would start out with something well known, like FMA: Brotherhood, Clannad, Toradora, Cowboy Bebop, or Steins;Gate. From there, you can start branching out into different genres and see which ones stand out the most to you. The more anime you see, the more you start to figure out what you like and don't like.
May 3, 2016 6:48 PM
Jul 2018
Don't listen to this thread, show them something that isn't anime or else you'll completely annihilate their interest in it.

Cowboy Bebop or GTFO.
removed-userMay 3, 2016 9:41 PM
May 3, 2016 7:40 PM
May 2016
I think that a few good first anime are maid-sama, no game no life, and fruits basket.
May 3, 2016 7:57 PM
Sep 2010
Without knowing things like age, gender, etc... I'm going to suggest...

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood.

Looking at your Favorites List, I think your very safe with

Cowboy Bebop
May 3, 2016 8:45 PM

Feb 2014
It really depends on their tastes...
I believe Dragon Ball & Naruto & One Piece would be ideal for anyone...

But it should not be ecchi or harem for sure, that might scare most people away from anime....
May 3, 2016 9:48 PM
Jun 2013
Specifically, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Any friend will be very talkative about anime after that!

May 3, 2016 10:07 PM

Jul 2015
What got me hooked on anime was Code Geass and Tokyo Ghoul. And that's coming from someone who decided to watch anime not because I wanted to, but because someone else told me too. Now look at me.

caught in the wonder
May 3, 2016 11:23 PM

Apr 2016
Well it matters what the age of who you are showing it to, when I was a kid my first anime was Pokemon and I think that fits for kids, but if youy are talking about a teen or an adult I would probably say Attack on Titan or Sword art online.
May 3, 2016 11:47 PM
Nov 2014
Great Teacher Onizuka - easy to watch slice of life with good comedy
May 4, 2016 12:59 AM
Nov 2014
Code Geass, Death Note, Steins;Gate, FMAB
May 4, 2016 3:56 AM

Aug 2015
I think it is better by:

-Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu

-Shingeki no Kyojin

-One Punch Man

-Sword Art Online

-Terra Formars

-Death Note
May 4, 2016 5:42 AM

Feb 2015
Hunter x Hunter
FMAB
Durarara!!
Code Geass
Fate/series

They are easy to pick up and to understand, and aren't overly complicated, besides they are some of the most amazing anime up to date.

Sailor Moon
Dragonball
Pokémon
Yu-gi-oh!
Digimon

These are very easy to pick up especially if you're showing anime to a younger person, for instance I showed Sailor Moon to my little cousin, and she liked it a lot

May 4, 2016 6:07 AM

Aug 2009
Anohana

if that person is loves more action FMA or Death Note is nice
May 4, 2016 6:25 AM

Dec 2015
Well when I was growing up I had:

Sailor Moon
Gundam Wing
DBZ
Pokemon
Inuyasha

I would say starters would be:
DBZ
Cowboy Bebop
Full Metal Alchemist
Death Note
May 4, 2016 11:45 AM

Jul 2015
Ghost in the Shell, Baccano!, Madoka Magica, Cowboy Bebop, Ping Pong, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, and Gurren Lagann.

If you know their preferences than definitely one of those.
"Few, but ripe." - C.F. Gauss
May 4, 2016 12:09 PM

Apr 2016
Ouran Highschool Host Club
May 4, 2016 12:41 PM

Mar 2016
My first was Kuroshitsuji so i would recommend Kuroshitsuji
May 4, 2016 12:52 PM

Jun 2011
AnimeAdamOP said:
Something that doesn't have Ecchi and/or harem. If anything turns my friends away from anime, it's that.

Strangely enough, my sister who hates anime, the only anime she likes, is Chobits.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» new season, need recommendations

silversaint - 44 minutes ago

1 by phantom346 »»
15 minutes ago

» Anime similar to live-action action movies?

Skuletor - Today

6 by Skuletor »»
5 hours ago

» Looking for any recommendations really

TabonyBoy - Apr 16

9 by r3v3l3v3l »»
8 hours ago

» Planning to watch Sousou no Frieren

WitchDoc - Today

8 by r3v3l3v3l »»
11 hours ago

» 「 𝜗℘ 𝐚𝐧𝐢𝐦𝐞/𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐚 𝐬𝐮𝐠𝐠𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝜗℘ 」(❀❛ ֊ ❛„)♡

RabbitS- - Apr 10

18 by Reina__ »»
Today, 7:17 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.