Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 2, 2016 2:36 PM
Apr 2016
If I can ever convince my friends to watch anime, where do I start?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 2, 2016 2:37 PM

Jul 2013
It really depends on what they like.

Death Note (crime show thing sort of)
Attack on Titan (fast paced action)
Fate Zero (slow paced action)
May 2, 2016 2:43 PM

May 2015
Wrong Forum.

I would say:

Comedy:

Nichijou, Konosuba, Barakamon

Action/Shounen:

Fullmetal Alchemist : Brotherhood (FITE MEH), Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry

Fantasy:

No Game No Life, Nobuna no Yabou, Outbreak Company

Romance:

Kimi ni Todoke, Toradora

Horror:

Another, Higurashi no Naku koro ni, Baccano

Action/Shojo:

Futari wa Pretty Cure, Madoka Magica

etc, etc.
May 2, 2016 2:48 PM
Apr 2016
All of these are good, but I wouldn't really recommend Kiseijuu as a first anime... It's too weird and could potentially scare people away from anime
May 2, 2016 2:52 PM

Jul 2011
Something like Bleach, One Piece or Naruto.
May 2, 2016 3:20 PM

Mar 2014
Something that doesn't have Ecchi and/or harem. If anything turns my friends away from anime, it's that.
May 2, 2016 3:25 PM

Jun 2015
Gurren Lagann. That's the one show that got me into the world of anime.
May 2, 2016 3:27 PM

Nov 2015
I would say One Punch Man would be a good first anime just because it's (in my opinion) such a fun show to watch and the OP is amazing.
May 2, 2016 3:27 PM
Jul 2018
recommend them the masterpieces like

death note
sao
mirai nikki
code geass
full metal alchemist brotherhood
May 2, 2016 3:28 PM

Dec 2015
FMA:Brotherhood. (even though I've never seen it)
May 2, 2016 3:29 PM

Jan 2016
FMAB
Gurren Lagann
Boku no Hero Academia

Elsa - Queen of Seductive Rape Faces
May 2, 2016 3:29 PM

Aug 2015
First of all ask yourself what is their personality.. are they lewd, shameless, emotional, nerd, mysterious, psycho (I hope not), serious, funny or has 8th grade syndrome.. then pick below.

Drama: Clannad
Action: FMA;b
Comedy: Gintama
Fantasy: NGNL
Ecchi: TLR (I don't know basically they are all the same in my eyes)

What else...
May 2, 2016 3:30 PM

Apr 2014
Ghost in the Shell
Serial Experimental Lain

Tbh i believe u gotta show them the best and most unique anime. A lot of ppl think u should give new comers fluff pieces. I think u should display the best direction and story telling in this visual media.
May 2, 2016 3:31 PM

Jul 2015
definitely mirai nikki or maybe death note
May 2, 2016 3:40 PM

Apr 2015
ryukan said:
recommend them the masterpieces like

death note
sao
mirai nikki
code geass
full metal alchemist brotherhood

Anyway, I think it really depends on what the person likes, but I wouldn't start with anything too serious, as for most people it would probably take a while to be able to take anime seriously, so something like Monster or Serial Experiments Lain probably wouldn't be very good for a first anime.

I think something that's relatively light-hearted without being childish would be a good place to start, but again, it really just depends on what the person likes and how open-minded they are.
chizzlezMay 4, 2016 4:19 AM
May 2, 2016 3:42 PM

Oct 2014
moodie said:
Ghost in the Shell
Serial Experimental Lain

Tbh i believe u gotta show them the best and most unique anime. A lot of ppl think u should give new comers fluff pieces. I think u should display the best direction and story telling in this visual media.
Serial Experiments Lain was going to be my first anime, but I couldn't get myself to watch through it back then. I recently did watch it and it was great.

ColdBreeze said:
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

If they dislike it forget them.
Nobody needs them then.
Gurren Lagann is one of these anime that looks like it would be boring based on the first episode but is actually quite good. I've still yet to complete it, though.
May 2, 2016 3:46 PM

Sep 2015
moodie said:
Ghost in the Shell
Serial Experimental Lain

I mean ye those two are good, but i have to stay serial experiments is far from being a show with the best direction and story telling
May 2, 2016 3:50 PM

Apr 2014
mouvite said:
moodie said:
Serial Experimental Lain

Yep, it's a great choice... if you want to discourage people from watching anime.
if they are discouraged then they shouldn't be watching anime since they can enjoy bullshit in other forms of media like reality tv.
moodieMay 2, 2016 3:54 PM
May 2, 2016 3:52 PM

Oct 2013
Death Note
Attack On Titan
Mirai Nikki
Btooom! (Though the cringy marriage love over the internet shit may scare em off LOL)
Parasyte (if they have a good attention span)
Elfen Lied (Tits & Gore, why not?)
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
May 2, 2016 4:15 PM

Oct 2015
Psycho-Pass
Death Note
Code Geass
Attack on Titan
Cowboy Bebop
May 2, 2016 4:20 PM

Sep 2015
Well, it entirely depends on your friend's likes, dislikes, preferences, open-mindedness, etc. If you know what sort of stuff they enjoy, you can just go from there. I suppose it would be easier to say which anime they should avoid watching if they're just getting into the medium - things like the Monogatari series, Seitokai no Ichizon or Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei because they contain many references to Japanese culture and associated works that someone new simply wouldn't be able to understand.

A "good first anime" is simply too vague a term to reliably give a good answer to.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
May 2, 2016 4:26 PM

Dec 2015
Tell them to watch the masterpiece that is 'Boku no Pico

Just let them watch an anime you yourself really enjoy, that's what I always do
May 2, 2016 4:28 PM

Sep 2015
My personal opinion would be start with a few anime from the same genre and or production companies.
💙 Set by:Gabby_Chan💙 Strawberry
May 2, 2016 4:31 PM

Jan 2016
do not expose them to anime
manga comes first
May 2, 2016 4:37 PM

Jun 2015
Ehm for all the people saying FMAB go fck yourself.
And beside this a good first anime could be Death note, SAO, Code geass, naruto could be good as well
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
May 2, 2016 5:01 PM
Apr 2015
Akame ga kill or Attack on Titan: depends on the person's tastes and favorite genres
May 2, 2016 5:06 PM
Jul 2014
Eiken, Aki Sora, and Monster Musume would be some good ones.
May 2, 2016 5:12 PM

Oct 2013
moodie said:
mouvite said:

Yep, it's a great choice... if you want to discourage people from watching anime.
if they are discouraged then they shouldn't be watching anime since they can enjoy bullshit in other forms of media like reality tv.

That's not a great choice to give to a first time anime watcher. I think most serial lain fans would agree with me.
May 2, 2016 6:12 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
AnimeAdamOP said:
Something that doesn't have Ecchi and/or harem. If anything turns my friends away from anime, it's that.

ofc.... someone had to.... -____-

anyway..... uh.... why are you trying to get someone who doesn't want to watch anime to watch anime?
May 2, 2016 6:25 PM

Nov 2015
Definitely Death Note.
Either that or Code Geass.
May 2, 2016 6:27 PM
Jul 2018
When it comes to first anime to watch i like to recommend always Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Because it has a good story with great action :)
May 2, 2016 6:37 PM
Dec 2015
Just let them agree on watching two episodes with you,
Start of with episode 1 of boku no pico, now you lowered the expectations and you can show them a masterpiece like SAO, DxD, Fate Zero, Plastic Memories, Attack on Titan, Strawberry panic
May 2, 2016 6:40 PM

Mar 2015
Blindly recommending something is a waste of time. Gender and personality are important in this matter.
This salad is salty favored
May 2, 2016 6:46 PM

Mar 2014
Mamster-P said:
AnimeAdamOP said:

ofc.... someone had to.... -____-

anyway..... uh.... why are you trying to get someone who doesn't want to watch anime to watch anime?

Sorry you can't handle the reason why my friends choose not to watch anime.
May 2, 2016 6:46 PM

Oct 2014
Dont give serious/ecchi anime and something like dbz , naruto, one piece because its too long.

For someone who havent watched any anime I'd suggest death note, attack on titan, SAO

Someone above recommended serial experiment lain , let him watch it if you dont want him to get into anime.
May 2, 2016 6:50 PM

Sep 2015
_Esper_ said:
Blindly recommending something is a waste of time. Gender and personality are important in this matter.

^This.
OP didn't even mentioned gender, age(!!), and what could've been a great help: his/her favourite TV shows or movies...

To be honest I'd say: let the noobs find things out for themselves.
If they want to watch anime, they'll watch anime regardless... -_-
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 2, 2016 6:51 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
AnimeAdamOP said:

Sorry you can't handle the reason why my friends choose not to watch anime.

lol sorry your friends are so easily turned off lol
May 2, 2016 6:54 PM
May 2015
OPM since its such a fun anime to watch
May 2, 2016 8:29 PM

Aug 2015
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Cowboy Bebop
Death Note
Angel Beats!
Toradora!
Overlord at Work!/Hataraku Maou-Sama!
Psycho-Pass
Darker than Black
Steins;Gate
Samurai Champloo
Tengen Toppa Gurenn Lagann
Mushishi
Attack on Titan/Shingeki No Kyojin
Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis

tl;dr: basically every anime in the top portion of the flowchart (done by lukeatlook) in my profile.

May 3, 2016 4:41 AM
Apr 2016
Action : Jodmungand
Romance : Kimi iru no Machi , Mirrai nikki
Horror:Higurashi naku no koro ni
Comedy:Gintama.
Drama: Skip Beat .Glass Mask
Yuri:strawberry panic

and SENGOKU COLLECTION
May 3, 2016 4:42 AM
Aug 2014
In terms of a good FIRST anime, I reckon start with Attack on Titan, because it's amazing and shows you the full potential of an action-packed anime. Then Bleach, at least the first few arcs, no need to show them the whole thing unless they want to, because it has a really strong start and is a perfect example of a traditional, fun, action anime. Then One Punch Man for some comedy and randomness with great fights. Then let them watch whatever they want from there.
May 3, 2016 4:43 AM
Aug 2011
I don't think it's a good idea to start with a masterpiece as it's probably better to watch it knowing at least how anime work. Depending on what the person wants to watch (action, comedy, horror), I think it's probably good to pick a good (or very good, but not too good) anime.
May 3, 2016 4:44 AM
Aug 2014
HUNTER X HUNTER BOYYYY has everything in it ;o
May 3, 2016 4:45 AM

May 2015
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
May 3, 2016 4:53 AM

Aug 2012
Death Note, Attack on Titan, One Punch Man are easy for anyone to get into.
May 3, 2016 4:54 AM

May 2015
Try something wide-reaching with a material and genres. FMA, Code Geass, Future Diary, Death Note and Cowboy Bebop are both accessible, distinctive and weird enough. At worst, they'll be memorable.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
May 3, 2016 4:59 AM

Jul 2014
That depends on my friend's character.
If he/she is a deep, smart friend, I'll introduce for them Ghost in the shell, The tatami galaxy, One outs, Kaiji...
With lovely, kind people, I'll give them Hanada Shouen-shi,..
There are many choices.
May 3, 2016 5:36 AM
Mar 2016
I'm begginer and i started my journey with ghost in the shell, because it seemed to be more like a normal movie. Then i started to watch fate/zero, sword art online (in first chapter romance was beyond great), death note and i prepared myself to think: that anime isn't that bad though. Sure, that japan style of emotional expression 'misa misa' still annoyed me, but i watched comedy like no game no life and enjoyed it pretty much. Same goes for nisekoi. So now i just laugh and enjoy.
May 3, 2016 5:42 AM

Sep 2014
Hmmmm... If I were to suggest. I will ask first what their "taste" would be or their genre preferences. If they cannot think of any, then I will suggest them:
1.) Death Note (majority suggestion)
2.) Fullmetal Alchemist
3.) Monster
4.) Kuroko no Basket
5.) Steins; Gate
May 3, 2016 6:23 AM

Jan 2016
Death Note, FMA and One Punch Man seems good for starters because I know a lot of people who don't really watch anime but have at least seen one of these.

I would not show someone involving ecchi or incest-ish relationships.

I would also preferably show something that could be considered as objectively pretty. For example, Code Geass is a big no-no. Everytime I try to introduce people to it, they can't stand the art and don't want to go on (also they tend to hate Lelouch haha).
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Anime that have all female guilds/clubs/groups/living places, etc

GakutoDeathGlare - 9 hours ago

1 by Zarutaku »»
3 hours ago

» 150 Chapters Manhwa/Manhua

Nizalich - Apr 21

3 by duchessliz87 »»
7 hours ago

» New(ish) Manga Reader in Need of Recommendations!

Wakarimas-en - Yesterday

4 by ToG25thBaam »»
7 hours ago

» Similar animes to Tengoku Daimakyou ( 1 2 )

Salvaged - Apr 21

69 by WatchTillTandava »»
8 hours ago

» Planning to watch Sousou no Frieren

WitchDoc - Apr 18

10 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
Yesterday, 9:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.