Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 1, 2016 7:35 PM

Mar 2015
It's not like old toons anymore and people don't like that. Those who say modern anime suck simply have failed to look hard enough for things worth watching. Watching the first ecchi series that airs and generalizing the state of modern anime to be exactly as mindless fanservice does not count.
“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth. But the world isn't perfect, and the law is incomplete..." -Alphonse Elric

"Then and now, what I protect has never changed!" -Sakata Gintoki

I'll take anything like The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. Anything as good as that.
May 1, 2016 7:39 PM

May 2015
CoolMan1999x said:
Note: This is a modification of a recent post I have seen
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1505861

I have seen a lot of people everywhere (reddit,mal,fb...etc) criticizing anime nowadays saying that it has become "bad".

First I am sorry but this should be in capital letter:
THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION, THIS THREAD IS SOLELY TO DISCUSS OPINIONS AND NOT TO START SOME KIND OF WAR hhhhh

my opinion is that anime has become much much better than how it used to
be (fanservicing is the only bad thing about anime nowadays) ,

What I want to really know is why there is so much hate on modern anime?

( I dont think I have broken any rules this time so please dont lock the thread hhhhhhh :p)

=3=

If people say they hate modern anime, in a general sense, as with everything else, it's probably just nostalgia.
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
May 1, 2016 7:55 PM

Nov 2013
CoolMan1999x said:
mouvite said:

How can you say that if, judging by your list, you haven't seen many old anime?

It also depends on what you consider an "old anime" (for me "old" means 2000 and earlier).

I have seen a few

for example inuyasha made me sleep a few times hhhhhhh
=3=

So you watched one bad one. It's like judging all modern anime on Sword Art or Musaigen.
May 2, 2016 12:00 AM
Sep 2015
CoolMan1999x said:
Aedrin said:
If you watched 20 different anime 10 years ago and now you don't really remember them. 10 of them were bad and you forgot about them after a month. You were younger, there weren't so many others to compare. Now you forgot 9 more anime (details) but remember 1 soooo great that it influences to another 9. You believe 10 years ago you watched 10 great anime and others were not bad (probably).

Otherway, every time when you watch some great anime your current expectations grow higher but it can't influence anime you watched 5-10 years ago.

Moreover most of people exaggerate their childhood and everything they've seen, they did etc. Personally I like pokemon much more than it deserves and only 1st gen pokemons are great and 2nd are acceptable because I see them from behind my childhood glasses (or maybe they really were better? Hard to say).

Taking this into account you're saying the majority of haters are 20+ right?

I think most of haters are. But also many people like something because they think they should. I liked Star Wars for years because it's Star Wars, everyone must love star wars.
May 2, 2016 12:45 AM

Mar 2012
I'm actually pretty bored with most of the new anime this year but 2015 was great right up until the end where there was like one or two actually good shows and people wouldn't shut the fuck up about One Meme Man. It was a good year for anime all things considered.

Hibike, Yuri Kuma, the Love Live movie, Death Parade, probably a bunch of others I'm forgetting too.
May 2, 2016 12:49 AM

Nov 2015
they can't enjoy anime anymore
you are not a hero arguing with these people
they are possibly drug addicts or worse play video games a lot.
May 2, 2016 12:54 AM

Oct 2009
cause they've probably watched too much anime and compare it to the previous shows they've watched? :/

May 2, 2016 1:26 AM

Dec 2012
They are idiots that confuse their lack of enjoyment with the quality of what they are watching. As simple as that. There is nothing remotely logical about their behavior. It's just being toxic through and through. They are good source of humor sometimes with their delusions.

''hurr durr lets bash the most hyped anime of season and call it ''bad writing'', that's certainly productive''
''hurr durr casuals are ruining the MAL rankings. And we all know how important the rankings on this site are ;)''
''hurr durr lets bitch and pms over any LN announcement thread with the same thing, that will certainly make Japan stop producing them XDDDD!!!!!11''
''hurr durr lets keep being toxic af and continue posting on a fan site of anime about how much this medium suckzzz. That makes so much sense :))))''

TheMaster100 said:
Being more critical of this form of medium will benefit the entire community.

In what possible way?

Idiots ranting the same BS on every LN adaptation or harem or w/e are literally not gonna change anything. The community by large is irrelevant in the first place.
tsudecimoMay 2, 2016 1:33 AM
May 2, 2016 1:31 AM
Feb 2014
If people paid more attention to the anime's content rather than their feelings, criticism would be kept in check.

Since anime and the art of criticism tends to act a lot of avant-garde minds, I can't guarantee you this will go on the down low, we'll just have to live with it until people realize the futility of their irrational emotions that come with the draw.

TheMaster100 said:
But within the last 6 years, there are a handful of series that I've enjoyed compared to the shows from the mid 90's - 2007.

There is no "anime community." Rather, it is a congregation of deluded and dissatisfied individuals who use their emotions over their thoughts when it comes to "criticism."
AqutanMay 2, 2016 1:36 AM
May 2, 2016 1:44 AM
Dec 2015
@ OP, You should actually watch some critically acclaimed older shows before saying anything, I can as easily say that modern anime are absolute shit because of the many moe blob and battle harems.
Anyhow modern anime are not bad BUT they certainly get overrated massively so the elitists ballance it out by criticizing them.
May 2, 2016 6:17 AM

Oct 2015
Because people like to parrot the same few opinions like "ohhh fanservice is always bad woe is me I saw boobies" and "ALL modern anime is bad" without providing any backing for their opinions, because they just follow the mob mentality.

However I would say there is too much fanboyism as well, especially for shows such as One Punch Man and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. I don't mind people liking these shows, I don't mind people liking them a lot but I think people should maybe think things through before shouting "HURRR 10/10 BEST ANIME EVUR"

The_Nico said:

TheMaster100 said:
But within the last 6 years, there are a handful of series that I've enjoyed compared to the shows from the mid 90's - 2007.

There is no "anime community." Rather, it is a congregation of deluded and dissatisfied individuals who use their emotions over their thoughts when it comes to "criticism."

Not to mention that Japs don't listen to us western viewers in almost all cases, so all the whining we do is worthless to the industry. If you want to change the industry, vote with your wallet enough to change market trends.
LobindeMay 2, 2016 6:21 AM
May 2, 2016 6:51 AM

Jul 2014
Elevated criticism becomes necessary due to the amount of imitations in new anime today. Anne Happy and Sansha Sanyou are good examples from just this season alone. The new generation are incapable of recognizing the cynicism and desperation in these anime and harsher and harsher criticism to the point of hyperbole is needed to truly put into context their likeness to "Brada" purses or "Akeley" sunglasses at the beach promenade knockoff stands.
May 2, 2016 7:02 AM

Nov 2015
Same goes for pretty much every single thing in this world.
Yesterday was always a better day..

The thing here is that today pretty much every single anime out there is open to the public eye & the inferior ones eventually fade away. So all the trash harem anime from today will probably fade away tomorrow & only the really good ones will prevail, which is why people from say 20 years in the future will say that this era was way better.

It happens like every twenty years..
May 2, 2016 7:31 AM

May 2013
I can't really watch old anime because it's too disgusting visually for me. The bitches have BEAT faces and pointy boobs and there eyes look x10 more retarded than newer anime.
May 2, 2016 9:37 AM

May 2015
I don't get the people who waste time about how anime today isn't as good as the old days.

Did any of them literally run out of anime to watch? I'm serious.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
May 3, 2016 1:05 AM

Aug 2015
I don't think there's anything wrong with harsh comments towards an anime, it would be nice if it can be justified though, it is the opinion of the critic.
SomeEdgeLord said:

I WILL report you from this forum if this continues.
In real life, I am one of the coldest, unsympathetic, people you'll ever know, who's grown up in an even colder household, you really don't want me to break my persona, I know how to make people feel bad.

YearnsforAttention said:
hm who has 1656 friends on MAL
that's right me
bye bye

YearnsforAttention said:
I don't want your approval
how many damn times do I need to say it
I enjoy irritating you
I am gonna do things MY way
May 3, 2016 2:10 AM

Dec 2015
tragedydesu said:
I watched some old anime like cowboy bepop and Eva and I didn't like them
Modern anime are fine they just need a little of creativity

Nichijou is the only *creative* anime I can think of rn....Well maybe Furiko too :3
May 3, 2016 2:16 AM

Sep 2015
There is criticism in everything which is popular. I guess one factor of anime criticism are weebs. Doing unnecessary weird stuffs thus tainting the name of the industry
May 3, 2016 2:23 AM

Jan 2015
I stick to anime I like watching and enjoy. Unfortunately these types of anime have been decreasing over the years I guess. I think that's why most people complain, especially those who grew up in the 90s and stuff. I would say most modern anime don't appeal to me. But there's still something to watch every season.

May 3, 2016 2:49 AM

Mar 2014
Just like music and everything else, people only remember the "classics", they shows that are well known or generally considered good. I looked through 1995-2000 anime with members above 10k. I recognized one, maybe two a season and have seen even fewer. All of the old shows I've seen are famous, or highly rated. Akira, NGE, GitS, Berserk, Serial Experiments Lain, you can't compare some of the most influential anime of all time to your average seasonal. Unless you've actually dug into the past beyond the recommendations you'll get on mal, I wouldn't judge it as better or worse.

Most of my favorite shows are from 2010s, so I wouldn't say modern anime is bad, at least not to me. I hate how it can become formulaic, but the same is true of Hollywood as somebody mentioned previously. The evolution of these formulas is something I'm interested in, but comparing that aspect of modern anime with that of older anime would require watching a ton of random shows from several decades. Basically, if the older shows you've seen only consist of popular ones, your opinion on the subject means very little.
May 4, 2016 12:41 AM

May 2015
CoolMan1999x said:

I have seen a lot of people everywhere (reddit,mal,fb...etc) criticizing anime nowadays saying that it has become "bad".

THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION, THIS THREAD IS SOLELY TO DISCUSS OPINIONS AND NOT TO START SOME KIND OF WAR hhhhh

( I dont think I have broken any rules this time so please dont lock the thread hhhhhhh :p)

=3=

I'm not really to say anime isn't getting bad since I don't watch them(often), but when someone says "X isn't what it use to be" it's usually just nostalgia or a trend. Not that there isn't or is truth to it, but it's just opinions.

Is it a surprised that the majority of works are bad? Shouldn't be, it's how created content works. Always has.
May 4, 2016 9:51 AM

May 2015
GriedSatzvin said:
There is criticism in everything which is popular. I guess one factor of anime criticism are weebs. Doing unnecessary weird stuffs thus tainting the name of the industry

If something is weird, it's not unnecessary. Weirdness is a cool things.
May 4, 2016 9:52 AM

May 2015
GriedSatzvin said:

If something is weird, it's not unnecessary. Weirdness is a cool things.
May 4, 2016 9:54 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Every 10 to 15 years ppl claim media is "getting worse" it's bullshit n not a claim on just anime, they say the same thing about music
May 4, 2016 11:03 AM

Feb 2010
CoolMan1999x said:

=3=

Why are you thinking anime has become 'much much better'? I doubt you'd even know, you have barely seen anything older than 10 years. Yet you still hold the opinion that anime is much much better than it was back when you didn't watch it. There's no real reason to have that opinion based on what you've seen but you still do.

It's the same for the people who proclaim the downfall of anime. They have a gut feeling for some kind of biased reason and despite them usually not being able to back it up with actual, factual arguments they are randomly confident in their opinion and flaunt it all over the internet. They probably like being seen as 'the critical-cynical retro guy' because in my experience they don't have much actual interest in discussing the development of the medium and the pros and cons anime production has now compared to back then and vice versa. Since that would make the thread about the topic and not about them, which I'm pretty sure is what they're really about.

So yeah, the question in general is why do people always feel the need to jump to conclusions like that and apply their very limited experiences to forming opinions about the whole medium? There are probably various reasons and if you can answer that for yourself you can probably also answer it for the other side.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 4, 2016 2:47 PM
Dec 2014
Ksuga said:
CoolMan1999x said:

I havent watched .//hack yet but by the looks of it, it seems like it has more "dark atmosphere" than SAO then how did sao rip it off in the first place? I mean surely they dont have the same exact plot and character personalities right?

=3=

Well, that's one way to interpret what I said, but I can't and haven't said that SAO is a ripoff of .//hack, since I haven't watched .//hack. What I wanted to say is that SAO probably was inspired by this.

SAO was not inspired by hack. It has zero in common besides setting. And setting is neither unique, nor very special since MMORPG is so broad and unspecific.

The world is different. rules are different even landscape and buildings, factions etc
May 5, 2016 3:15 AM
Feb 2014
Mamster-P said:
Every 10 to 15 years ppl claim media is "getting worse" it's bullshit n not a claim on just anime, they say the same thing about music

It's also that they expect anime to be the goldmine of digitalized media and expect everything to be seen in their rose-colored glasses.

Years later this will be a complaint. I've watched anime straight 10 years, I find it weird how I haven't changed my thought processes one bit, if not become more open-minded, albeit selective in what to choose to watch.
May 5, 2016 4:32 AM

May 2015
Pullman said:
CoolMan1999x said:

=3=

Why are you thinking anime has become 'much much better'? I doubt you'd even know, you have barely seen anything older than 10 years. Yet you still hold the opinion that anime is much much better than it was back when you didn't watch it. There's no real reason to have that opinion based on what you've seen but you still do.

It's the same for the people who proclaim the downfall of anime. They have a gut feeling for some kind of biased reason and despite them usually not being able to back it up with actual, factual arguments they are randomly confident in their opinion and flaunt it all over the internet. They probably like being seen as 'the critical-cynical retro guy' because in my experience they don't have much actual interest in discussing the development of the medium and the pros and cons anime production has now compared to back then and vice versa. Since that would make the thread about the topic and not about them, which I'm pretty sure is what they're really about.

So yeah, the question in general is why do people always feel the need to jump to conclusions like that and apply their very limited experiences to forming opinions about the whole medium? There are probably various reasons and if you can answer that for yourself you can probably also answer it for the other side.

This is a beautiful comment and let me add.

Content and medium are different things. If you discuss medium, you discuss how it functions and less about the content. You talk about animation, pacing, whether the format of episodes lead to developed stories or dragging ones. You don't talk about harems - that's a different discussion.

Medium and content are related, but are different subjects.
May 5, 2016 7:59 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
The_Nico said:

It's also that they expect anime to be the goldmine of digitalized media and expect everything to be seen in their rose-colored glasses.

Years later this will be a complaint. I've watched anime straight 10 years, I find it weird how I haven't changed my thought processes one bit, if not become more open-minded, albeit selective in what to choose to watch.

yep same....

and people act as if anime needs to change for them instead of them changing for anime....

people either don't realize or seem to forget that most anime is made with Japanese people in mind and act as
though the industry shouldn't be thinking about Japanese culture when making anime. its really just a bonus if we
like anime

some shows do really well here and not in japan, so its really just chance sometimes
May 5, 2016 8:58 AM
Jul 2018
Nothing wrong with defending your own views. No one else is going to do it for you.

If anime production has shifted to appeal to a different type of person of course I, as a consumer, am going to complain.
It doesn't matter what I say on MAL anyway. At the end of the day all that matters are the contents of my wallet and how I use them, so it's basically just a way of blowing off some steam. It's harmless.

Some people might think you're doing it to be "the critical-cynical retro guy". Who cares? Let them. As long as you get your peace of mind it's all good.
Have you seen how strongly some people defend current anime on this site? Who are they to say you can't do the opposite? Keep saying what you want to say, don't bottle that shit up because of them.

When the anime trends shift again -- and they will one day -- you may find yourself on the other side. Don't be that guy yelling "hater" when you do.
May 5, 2016 9:05 AM

May 2015
I barely watch anime and I feel confident to say that I don't see the point on debating about whether or not anime is rapidly improving or rapidly declining. Wouldn't you rather talk about the quality of an anime instead of the quality of anime? Isn't this kinda boring? No?

Edit: Changed my mind sorta, I wouldn't say there's a problem with criticizing anime, not at all. There's no problem with taking a closer look at anything. But whenever people are talking about anime, it's usually just "man, does anyone else think these last few seasons suck?" - and has watched 7 anime before 2009 and four of the "big seasonal" anime like OPM or something.

And no one's, you know, actually talking about the anime. Just anime. Generalizations all around. I've heard more complaints about the seasons than the anime that comes with it.

Well, I get that this is the anime discussion board. But if we're going to say the season in general sucked there's not much more discussion to be had y'know? It's too unspecific.
ashfrliebertMay 5, 2016 9:18 AM
May 5, 2016 11:33 AM

Mar 2014
Mamster-P said:

and people act as if anime needs to change for them instead of them changing for anime....
Because it does. Anime can and will change for it's consumers because they're the ones paying for it. Why is there an evolution of trends in Hollywood, fantasy novels, anime, and most everything else? because creators are looking for what sells. I called Jurassic World a monument to Hollywood mediocrity and compromise, a movie made to sell, and nothing else. This wasn't random, it was a team going out of their way to cater to fans of the franchise and including every recent trend mainstream movies are saturated with. That's media changing for the consumer, and in a few years, those trends will probably have changed, but they're still be there, catering to the consumer. Battle harems are obviously popular if there's as many as people claim and some are getting second seasons, I don't watch them, so I can't comment on their quality, but they exist in decent capacity. Tsundere's have stuck around because people like them. Tropes aren't created in a vacuum, they're a response to what people like buy.

ashfrliebert said:
I barely watch anime and I feel confident to say that I don't see the point on debating about whether or not anime is rapidly improving or rapidly declining. Wouldn't you rather talk about the quality of an anime instead of the quality of anime? Isn't this kinda boring? No?

Edit: Changed my mind sorta, I wouldn't say there's a problem with criticizing anime, not at all. There's no problem with taking a closer look at anything. But whenever people are talking about anime, it's usually just "man, does anyone else think these last few seasons suck?" - and has watched 7 anime before 2009 and four of the "big seasonal" anime like OPM or something.
Pretty much, I've only watched like 5 shows from last, not exactly a great sample size, and I assume that most people who watch 10+ shows a season like those shows since, you now, they're spending hours, even days, watching them.
May 5, 2016 11:42 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
merryfistmas said:

Because it does. Anime can and will change for it's consumers because they're the ones paying for it. Why is there an evolution of trends in Hollywood, fantasy novels, anime, and most everything else? because creators are looking for what sells. I called Jurassic World a monument to Hollywood mediocrity and compromise, a movie made to sell, and nothing else. This wasn't random, it was a team going out of their way to cater to fans of the franchise and including every recent trend mainstream movies are saturated with. That's media changing for the consumer, and in a few years, those trends will probably have changed, but they're still be there, catering to the consumer. Battle harems are obviously popular if there's as many as people claim and some are getting second seasons, I don't watch them, so I can't comment on their quality, but they exist in decent capacity. Tsundere's have stuck around because people like them. Tropes aren't created in a vacuum, they're a response to what people like buy.

yes that is all true, but what about the fact that anime is generally meant to cater towards japanese people, yet we have westerners who don't even give the slightest shit about japanese culture whining that anime doesn't or no longer suites their tastes?

to me thats kind of like a non spanish person going to the spanish channel then whining that the stuff shown on the spanish channel does not suit their tastes. i mean sure, anime creators know that other types of people are watching, but why should that stop them from keeping their shows intended for a japanese audience?
May 5, 2016 11:48 AM

Mar 2015
Mamster-P said:

This. I'd argue anime is actually getting better.
May 5, 2016 12:43 PM
Sep 2015
kamisama751 said:
CoolMan1999x said:

Dont know if that was a joke or not 0.o but criticizing is not needed at all, all it ever does is make people stay away from most anime (except if they are brave enough to watch them),
for example, many people are criticizing toei's animation but they havent improved at all because they dgaf and so we ended up with some people avoiding their anime because it may have bad animation and nobody in the end wins -_-
I wish somebody can just give an example of a time when criticizing an anime actually changed the producer's behaviour

That is just a joke. :D
Criticism is not merely bad talking in a justified way. Praising is also criticism. So by doing so you can also lure people to watch something. If you say don't criticize then... why do you even talk?

Sorry, didnt know the exact definition of criticism

My intention in posting this thread was an "attempt" to stop people hating on new anime (though I also did have the idea that new anime is better than old ones and I have changed that idea now, everybody has his or her opinion about anime and it should be told to the public only if it is meant for praising or if the person was asked about the drawbacks of that anime--------though this is me barking a fantasy that will never happen :P)

=3=
May 5, 2016 1:07 PM
Ribbit

May 2015
I'm just a fanboy, but I don't see any real flaws in today's anime. I always enjoy it, I don't mind generic characters and plots (I would go so far as to say I actually rather enjoy those), I love fanservice, and I am just as happy with deep complex plots as I am with lighthearted nonsense. I also don't mind plot convenience or minor contradictions, and I find pretty much all today's anime to at least have good animation. I mean they arent Fate Stay/Night UBW, but they're at least good. I don't seem to resonate with people who have all these criticisms. But again, I guess I'm just a fanboy in the minority.
SamfrogMay 5, 2016 1:12 PM
May 5, 2016 8:03 PM

Mar 2014
Mamster-P said:
merryfistmas said:

yes that is all true, but what about the fact that anime is generally meant to cater towards japanese people, yet we have westerners who don't even give the slightest shit about japanese culture whining that anime doesn't or no longer suites their tastes?

to me thats kind of like a non spanish person going to the spanish channel then whining that the stuff shown on the spanish channel does not suit their tastes. i mean sure, anime creators know that other types of people are watching, but why should that stop them from keeping their shows intended for a japanese audience?
Why is it that we are only allowed to hold opinions on media produced by our own culture? The same argument can be applied to even that. Each individual that works on a show brings their own experience and perspective to the table, and it will undoubtedly be different than your own just as the values of other cultures are different. How can you criticize anything if the opinion of what it's creator deems as quality differs from your own? Being produced in Japan does not put something above criticism from any audience, whether they're the target or not, and there is a profound difference between not liking something due to a cultural gap and not liking it because you think it is of poor quality. Much of my disinterest in Mushishi is likely a result of it being rooted in Japanese folk lore of which I have no knowledge. I certainly won't ask for Japan to change what Mushishi fundamentally is to my preferences, but I will ask for more complex characters than it provides, and this is true for any media with which I am dissatisfied with the characters.

Let me be clear. I don't mean to say the creators should make more complex characters for me. I mean that I will vote with my wallet in an attempt to support the business practices I agree with and the art that I believe is the highest quality in the hopes that more will be created. I am not lingering under the delusion that anime will ever cater to me specifically, and I've long ago accepted that I'm the type of person who believes the "90% of everything is shit" rule. Sometimes we just want to talk about why we like or dislike certain things. It's pretty simple.
May 5, 2016 8:06 PM

Mar 2016
everything is becoming bad and nothing is as good as it was in the good ol days of the stone age
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
May 5, 2016 8:15 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
merryfistmas said:

Let me be clear. I don't mean to say the creators should make more complex characters for me. I mean that I will vote with my wallet in an attempt to support the business practices I agree with and the art that I believe is the highest quality in the hopes that more will be created. I am not lingering under the delusion that anime will ever cater to me specifically, and I've long ago accepted that I'm the type of person who believes the "90% of everything is shit" rule. Sometimes we just want to talk about why we like or dislike certain things. It's pretty simple.

it would be nice if most of the people on the site who actually think this way would make it as clear. yes ofcourse, if you don't agree with someone, you CAN whine about it (not you specifically, just in general) but the fact is, many anime watcher are infact satisfied and nothing is going to change regardless

for me its more about the whine whine whine whine whine im always seeing more so than people like who who realize they can do nothing yet still like to discuss their opinions
May 5, 2016 8:18 PM

Apr 2015
People nowadays takes criticism with such a bad approach *sigh*. Either you're label as a hater or a completely asshole by the eyes of many, it is sad but this is the world we living in.

-Mastergold
May 5, 2016 8:28 PM

Mar 2014
Mamster-P said:
merryfistmas said:

it would be nice if most of the people on the site who actually think this way would make it as clear. yes ofcourse, if you don't agree with someone, you CAN whine about it (not you specifically, just in general) but the fact is, many anime watcher are infact satisfied and nothing is going to change regardless

for me its more about the whine whine whine whine whine im always seeing more so than people like who who realize they can do nothing yet still like to discuss their opinions
The overwhelming negativity can be a bit draining. That's why I've just been dropping so many shows, or not starting them in the first place. I don't need to confirm that I don't like something just to have a "valid" opinion according to MAL. There's just no reason for it, and it's not like I have any shortage of shows to watch even with my somewhat limited range of things I like.
May 5, 2016 8:39 PM

Aug 2015
here op i think you're missing this
May 5, 2016 8:42 PM

Jul 2013
Different people react differently to various cliques and tropes (Cliches and tropes are basically commonly used practices that are widely portrayed throughout a medium. EX: Panty jokes, Wimpy Protagonists. You probably get the idea). As audiences change, the tropes and cliques they are more likely to enjoy (or put up with) also change. If we look back to 1988, the art style that was popular among animators was very different, we had different story archetypes, and different popular voice actors, and different writers, manga artists, and publishing groups.

My point is, some people are just more likely to positively resonate with a different set of variables than others are. Everyone is going to have their golden age for when they think the largest number of great anime came out. For me, that would be the late 90's to early 2000's, however, there are plenty of great stuff coming out now, and there was a lot of great stuff before that.

Trying to figure out which era is better is pointless. The only standard you can definitively hold to anime is animation quality (Not art style, I'm talking how the frames move from one image to the next), and obviously as time has gone on, animation quality has increased. If I was you, just stick to whatever era you like, and if you want to be adventurous and try something new, then seek out older stuff. I'm sure that me, or any one else whose favorites are from a while back would be happy to recommend something to you that you might like based on your preferences.
May 5, 2016 9:21 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
merryfistmas said:
The overwhelming negativity can be a bit draining. That's why I've just been dropping so many shows, or not starting them in the first place. I don't need to confirm that I don't like something just to have a "valid" opinion according to MAL. There's just no reason for it, and it's not like I have any shortage of shows to watch even with my somewhat limited range of things I like.

its extremely annoying much people like to whine.. i can completely understand being like... "i didn't agree with this"... "i think they could've done this better" etc

but

THIS SHOW SUCKS, THIS GENRE SUCKS, ANIME SUCKS NOW, THESE FANS ARE CANCER, etc its just..... guh.... PLZ STOP....

i know much of the time its just trolling, but so many people complain about being judged by others, well if in our own "community" or w/e you wanna call it, we can't even get passed this bullshit, well its not gonna get better anywhere else
May 6, 2016 5:55 PM

Feb 2016
Well those are super general statements. There's a wide variety of anime out there for everyone.
May 6, 2016 6:18 PM

May 2015
The_Nico said:
If people paid more attention to the anime's content rather than their feelings, criticism would be kept in check.

Since anime and the art of criticism tends to act a lot of avant-garde minds, I can't guarantee you this will go on the down low, we'll just have to live with it until people realize the futility of their irrational emotions that come with the draw.

TheMaster100 said:

Like you have anime rating's! You're clearly capable of forming opinions, but somehow you think it's out-of-the box groundbreaking to talk about how bad inferno cop is. Forming opinions is fine, but talking about them is too avant-garde for you. That's just silly.

You think it's avant-garde to talk about the flaws of art basically, something people have been doing since the existence of art. What in the world lol

Edit: You're post has nothing to do with what I just said, much apologies. But my point is relevant to the topic, anyway. Forgive me. lol
May 6, 2016 8:22 PM
Feb 2014
ashfrliebert said:
The_Nico said:

Like you have anime rating's! You're clearly capable of forming opinions, but somehow you think it's out-of-the box groundbreaking to talk about how bad inferno cop is. Forming opinions is fine, but talking about them is too avant-garde for you. That's just silly.

You think it's avant-garde to talk about the flaws of art basically, something people have been doing since the existence of art. What in the world lol

Edit: You're post has nothing to do with what I just said, much apologies. But my point is relevant to the topic, anyway. Forgive me. lol

No, people themselves think it's "avant-garde" to have such criticisms. It's why the elitist stereotype exists for a reason.
May 7, 2016 12:31 AM

May 2015
Mamster-P said:
The_Nico said:

yep same....

people either don't realize or seem to forget that most anime is made with Japanese people in mind and act as
though the industry shouldn't be thinking about Japanese culture when making anime. its really just a bonus if we
like anime

some shows do really well here and not in japan, so its really just chance sometimes

I really don't get 'anime is for Japanese people' as an argument. How does it work against refuting an argument why one anime is bad?
May 7, 2016 12:59 AM

May 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:

I really don't get 'anime is for Japanese people' as an argument. How does it work against refuting an argument why one anime is bad?

This is the anime discussion section and not one anime discussion section, so you never really see criticisms for one anime here anyway. "Recent anime" or "this season" or "anime nowadays", yawn.
May 7, 2016 1:16 AM

Jan 2013
>too much anime criticism?
There's never enough anime criticism.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Yesterday

21 by L0bsterman »»
1 minute ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

117 by Kdog1998 »»
4 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

74 by Acctra »»
5 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

69 by MasterTasuke »»
30 minutes ago

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - 7 hours ago

16 by LenRea »»
32 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.