Forum Settings
Forums

Does watching an anime with terrible characters affect your enjoyment of a series?

New
Apr 29, 2016 10:33 PM

Jan 2014
By terrible characters, I mean the majority of the cast are just unlikable and terrible characters and u just honestly hope for the worst for them
Sure there might a decent few from the bunch

In some cases, it might work since the decent few might be the MCs and the rest r supposed to be terrible on purpose
In some others, the anime tries to make you care for them, but u just dont, and ironically it has an opposite effect where u dislike them instead

Does this affect your overall view of the anime as a whole
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 29, 2016 10:35 PM

Oct 2015
for me ... yeah
the biggest example " mayoiga "
Apr 29, 2016 10:38 PM
Jan 2013
Depends man
Does horrible stuff happens to said characters?
Cause that's how you get enjoyment out of a prickish cast
gone bai bai
Apr 29, 2016 10:39 PM

Jan 2016
Yes. Strong characters can save an anime with a weak plot but a strong plot can't save an anime with weak characters. I tend to drop anime with characters that I don't find interesting or likable.
Apr 29, 2016 10:39 PM

Jan 2014
-City_reaper- said:
for me ... yeah

THAT IS THE REASON WHY I POSTED THIS
tho I kind of wanted to make a general discussion among anime
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 29, 2016 10:48 PM

Oct 2015
AwesomeDudex3 said:
-City_reaper- said:
for me ... yeah

I had a feeling you posted this after watching mayoiga
the characters piss me off big time.... seriously do they have no brains ?
Apr 29, 2016 10:51 PM

Jan 2014
-City_reaper- said:
AwesomeDudex3 said:

I had a feeling you posted this after watching mayoiga
the characters piss me off big time.... seriously do they have no brains ?

With the exception of a few decent ones, everyone else piss me off to the extreme
It might be the first anime where I truly wish for the worst for them
Apr 29, 2016 10:52 PM

May 2014
Only if it's horror

Or a horrible show to begin with
Apr 29, 2016 10:54 PM

Oct 2014
I will enjoy a show where nothing happens if the characters are good. I won't enjoy a show with a good plot if the characters have no personalities or are just really shitty and never develop out of it. The story typically relies on the characters so if they're boring then the story will likely be boring too.
Apr 29, 2016 10:56 PM

Mar 2015
ehh... depend i guess... sometimes bad character is what made shows interesting... but sometimes it also ruined the whole series.. (looking at school days)... i fucking hate school days but i have really high expectation for kuzu no honkai which is school days, but make all character makoto...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 29, 2016 11:01 PM

Mar 2015
Its depend.. I like certain of them and dislike certain of them.

Guilty Crown for example, the MC is very unlikable, but I like the story a lot.
This salad is salty favored
Apr 29, 2016 11:02 PM

Jan 2010
This is gonna need some clarification.

There's a difference between terrible characters and terrible people in anime. Are the characters meant to be hated? Are they naturally detestable because of their actions and personality, or is it a transparent ploy to forcefully make an audience feel frustration and anger? I've seen anime where the characters are indeed horrible people, yet they, at times, make the anime work by pushing other characters forward with their actions, despite being insufferable people in real life.

If they're horrible characters though, that's another story entirely. They don't even need to be portrayed in a negative light for them to be bad characters. In this case, they'd fail as characters, however that's defined based on a given anime.

In the first case with horrible people portrayed in anime, it could range from being morbidly entertaining to gut wrenching to watch, even if it's for a good reason. For the latter, I'll still watch the anime, but I'd definitely have a hard time continuing.
Apr 29, 2016 11:06 PM
Jul 2018
Everything starts & ends with the characters for me, that's why I have so many anime in my dropped list.
Apr 29, 2016 11:24 PM

Dec 2012
Yeah, if all the characters are annoying or terrible people and it doesn't look like they will change that with character development soon, then I'm out. But that's really only if it's it's the entire cast that's unlikable, if it's just one or two characters I will still watch it. Sometimes it pays to stick around though like with Blue Gender. The characters may start out as unlikable but the show's events can change them.

It really depends though, because I also enjoy anti-heroes a lot. It can also be interesting when the main characters are criminals themselves going up against other more evil people or even good guys (Death Note, Black Lagoon, Jormungand).
KruszerApr 29, 2016 11:30 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 29, 2016 11:35 PM

Oct 2013
Of course it does, Characters are literally half of the series - although it's not difficult to brush off a character, and consume the content.
Apr 29, 2016 11:37 PM

Feb 2015
it depends if i get pissed off by the character or not but usually if it's not the main character then nope for me.
i have seen one anime with all of the characters were being assholes; CrossAnge.
YizelTroApr 29, 2016 11:41 PM
Apr 29, 2016 11:40 PM

Nov 2015
Well if they don't serve their purpose (ie come off as something that they aren't supposed to) then yes, it does affect my enjoyment.
Apr 29, 2016 11:42 PM
Mar 2016
I don't know I can't handle (extremely) annoying characters in anime/shows/movies so yes it affects me quite a bit
Apr 29, 2016 11:42 PM

Oct 2014
Yes , I wouldnt watch an anime with characters like that.
Apr 29, 2016 11:44 PM

Sep 2009
Yes, unless those characters get what they deserve, and fast.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Apr 29, 2016 11:49 PM

Sep 2015
-City_reaper- said:
for me ... yeah
Couldn't agree more. Mitsumune and Masaki's relationship is truly cringeworthy
Apr 29, 2016 11:52 PM

Feb 2016
Definitely, it doesn't matter how well-written the characters may be; for me, if you can't sympathize with them or form some sort of connection with them, they're not enjoyable to watch. I can't say that I've seen anything yet where the majority of characters are like this: far more common seem to be those characters who are clearly intended to be 'good' people, but fail to make an impact because they are poorly-written and lack individuality.

One of my biggest pet peeves in anime is characters who make decisions or take actions that make little to no sense to me: it's something I've noticed a lot more in anime than in other media.

Edit: typo fix.
Apr 30, 2016 1:39 AM

May 2015
If I'm getting such a cast, I'll need serious character development. I'll need a deep understanding of their psychology and personality, why they became such assholes.

Assholes are naturally unappealing, so the creators have to work harder to make them interesting.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
May 2, 2016 3:32 AM

Oct 2009
If they get killed off in the end, I'm good :V

but on other occasions I'd probably shit on the show or drop it. :/

May 2, 2016 3:42 AM

Dec 2015
AwesomeDudex3 said:
-City_reaper- said:
for me ... yeah

The fact that all the characters in Mayoiga are dumb assholes seems like a good thing to me. It just means you'll enjoy it more when they die horribly.
May 2, 2016 4:22 AM

May 2014
The characters usually affect my emotional attachment to the anime...if they're completely terrible to watch then I'm probably not going to get that invested.

Doesn't mean I can't enjoy an anime with downright ridiculous, nonsensical, annoying & undeveloped characters tho.

I mean, Diabolik Lovers was a hoot!!
So yeh, great characters and enjoyment aren't always mutually exclusive for me, but 9 times outta 10, investment and characters are!
May 2, 2016 4:48 AM

Apr 2016
As you might've guessed, yes, it does. Usually this is the case of stereotypical characters: superficial, easy-predictable, too high moral standards, glasses (you know what I mean), good-for-nothing-crybaby the whole series long, and the list can on and on. Of course, if only having a couple of them (well, if they are MC's maybe not) it can be easy to look away, as long as the other characters are good.
It's hot.

I mean that.
May 2, 2016 4:58 AM

Feb 2016
Yes, one of the things I look forward to when watching an anime is the set of characters. Next to the plot, the characters are for me an essential part of presenting the series in a likable manner. Characters I hate might be those underdeveloped ones, especially those who possess annoying characteristics and stay that way throughout the entire show, illogical character motivation and inconsistencies in their actions and some biased stereotypes I usually compare as standards to the characters in an anime (like some moral standard I uphold as a principle) . I know the last one may sound so unfair and shitty but usually that's how people judge the likability of their characters. And as much as I wanted to be objective in evaluating the characters and plot, it is almost impossible to shun out biases and personal preferences.
A retard is trying to prove his point, thanks.
May 2, 2016 5:03 AM

Mar 2015
Yes, how are you suppose to enjoy something when you hate all the characters? Yes you may have one or two. but that isnt many now is it?
May 2, 2016 5:06 AM

Sep 2015
Yes. Characters are the backbone of any story, for me. Bad characters in a good plot is a surefire way to ruin it. If I had to choose between good characters with a bad plot / story, or bad characters with a good plot / story, I will take the former every time.

A good plot can only do so much if the characters are awful. But good characters can salvage a terrible plot, or at least make it more bearable. I place far more emphasis on characters, so if the characters are bad it significantly lessens my enjoyment.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
May 2, 2016 5:23 AM

Oct 2015
I'm okay with watching anime with terrible characters, as long as it's not boring as hell
May 2, 2016 5:29 AM
Jan 2016
It really depends, if the characters are well written it doesn't really matter if they're horrible people, there are tons of horrible main characters (with varying cases of freudian excuse) that people love, Light, Lucy (Elfen Lied), Haruko (FLCL), Yuno, Alucard, most of the Black Lagoon cast, Kiritsugu, pretty much the entire Ranma cast except for Kasumi etc.
May 2, 2016 5:45 AM

Jun 2015
Ugh, that's basically an 8th of everything.
May 2, 2016 5:54 AM

Jul 2014
That's how it was for me when I watched Yowamushi Pedal.

I love sports animes and I actually looked forward to watching it but then the protagonist (Onoda) happened... it took me forever to finish the 1st season because I couldn't stand listening or seeing him. I'm in the middle of the 2nd season at the moment but it had forever been on hold. >_<

Also I don't think his character was meant to be the type to be "but but gets better later on" (I usually don't mind these kinds of characters), just that this character in particular was just plain annoying. o______o
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
May 2, 2016 6:02 AM

Jul 2013
Of course. If the cast of a series is full of unlikeable assholes, bland characters or people whose personality doesn't has sense or are incoherent, the score will be lower (like happened with Guilty Crown). This can also happen if the characters are supposed to be hated, but not always.
May 2, 2016 6:05 AM

Oct 2015
Yes, most of my enjoyment is based around how good the characters are so if the characters are bad I will most likely find the series to be crappy.
May 2, 2016 6:14 AM

Mar 2016
If an anime is story-driven then i don't mind annoying characters like the airing show mayoiga ...
May 2, 2016 7:02 AM

Apr 2010
When characters I don't like show up, I just wamt them to disappear. If I hate them all... How the hell can I watch it?

May 2, 2016 7:16 AM

May 2013
Character is more important than every other aspect of the anime TO ME. I would drop it in a heartbeat if there was a character that pissed me off enough, if they got enough air time. If the main character is really cool I can overlook a shitty character in the though though. It would have to have good MC. good story, good animations though.
May 2, 2016 7:19 AM

Dec 2015
Yes yes yes!!!!!!!
DanMachi is a perfect example. Especially mc....just goddamn u boring generic piece of crap >.<
May 2, 2016 7:27 AM

Dec 2015
-City_reaper- said:
for me ... yeah

You couldn't be more right about the characters in Mayoiga; however, they don't lessen the enjoyability for me. It has actually increased because I find them hilarious at how stupid they are and nonsensical the anime has been thus far. The same goes for Big Order. I guess it really depends for me. I either wind up enjoying it more on an ironic level, or the characters are just so frustrating that I wind up hating the anime completely and get frustrated with the characters.
CejaraMay 2, 2016 8:36 AM
May 2, 2016 8:09 AM

Oct 2015
Cejara said:
-City_reaper- said:
for me ... yeah

You couldn't be more write about the characters in Mayoiga; however, they don't lessen the enjoyability for me. It has actually increased because I find them hilarious at how stupid they are and nonsensical the anime has been thus far. The same goes for Big Order. I guess it really depends for me. I either wind up enjoying it more on an ironic level, or the characters are just so frustrating that I wind up hating the anime completely and get frustrated with the characters.

big order is pretty cool i dont see any problem with the characters
May 2, 2016 8:13 AM

Jul 2014
Sure does, my biggest example is the filth known as "Ef: A fairy tale of the two" (Visual Novel) which is of all things a love triangle romance between a literal Hitler, Stalin and a Pol Pot.
May 2, 2016 9:35 AM

May 2015
Red_Tuesday said:
Sure does, my biggest example is the filth known as "Ef: A fairy tale of the two" (Visual Novel) which is of all things a love triangle romance between a literal Hitler, Stalin and a Pol Pot.

What? Really?

I remember really enjoying the anime. What happened?
May 2, 2016 10:11 AM

Dec 2014
It's one of the main reasons that prevent me from enjoying the Fate Stay VN to be honest. It's not really the other characters, it's mainly just the main character. He's asinine, annoying, and plain delusional.

Anything can be at least remotely not shit as long as it has passable characters. If the characters are awful, regardless of how good the plot is my enjoyment will be severely deterred.
May 2, 2016 11:39 AM

Jan 2016
well duh, If water is stored in a straw basket it leaks.
Good plots carried by weak characters are not fun- it's like harems with shitty male protags- like, ugh just stop.
May 2, 2016 12:47 PM

Mar 2013
If by 'Terrible' you mean poorly written, then I would say it is one of, if not the one biggest issue that I can have with an anime that is story related.

Wander_Wolf said:
Yes. Strong characters can save an anime with a weak plot but a strong plot can't save an anime with weak characters.

^ Basically this, though I would argue that sometimes even well written characters, or one brilliantly done character can't bring back from the dead a horrible plot and/or world (here's looking at you Kaze no Stigma)
May 2, 2016 1:14 PM

Jul 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
Red_Tuesday said:

What? Really?

^^ The face of satan
Red_TuesdayMay 2, 2016 1:19 PM
May 2, 2016 1:29 PM
Captain Eyepatch

Dec 2015
The characters in Elfen Lied (except Lucy) made the anime mediocre..
May 2, 2016 2:19 PM

May 2015
Red_Tuesday said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

What? Really?

^^ The face of satan

You just made me want to re-watch the anime more. I can kind of imagine this happening without the creators noticing how cruel the characters are.

Oh boy.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 hours ago

17 by Malkshake »»
7 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

69 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
11 minutes ago

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - 4 hours ago

14 by traed »»
13 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Yesterday

62 by delirific »»
18 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Yesterday

23 by FanofAction »»
43 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.