Forum Settings
Forums

How do you react when someone concedes an argument to you?

New
Apr 29, 2016 1:52 PM

Apr 2014
It happens so rarely that I'm left startled when it does happen, especially in an online argument. Most of the time they either stop replying when you've backed them into a corner, or they resort to ad hominems of some sort. But just now I was having an argument with someone online about [insert video game jargon here] and after we went back and forth for a bit, he suddenly admitted that I had the stronger argument and promptly concluded the discourse. To be honest, this has only happened a few times in my online lifetime, so I didn't really know how to respond besides with something like:
"You brought up fair points as well and I can see why you had that standpoint. Your argument was almost completely sound and I respect that." Now I'm just sitting here wondering if I should feel proud of my internet victory or feel more ecstatic about there being decent people on the internet.

But what do you guys usually do when this happens to you? It's pretty rare for everyone I bet, so share some stories as well if you want.
Apr 29, 2016 1:55 PM

May 2015
This happens every time I argue with @Immahnoob. I graciously accept his admittance of defeat.

Seriously though. I respect anyone that does this. It means Truth is more important to them than winning.
Apr 29, 2016 2:00 PM

Apr 2012
I don't like having fans, @NeoVolt.

And I had these people too before, it does not happen often, nor does it matter to me.
I also had those types that admit defeat in arguments I never had with them. A strawman admittance? Har har har...
Like, I'm arguing their X, and then they admit their Y is shit.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Apr 29, 2016 2:03 PM

Feb 2016
Like you said, it doesn't happen often. I respect anyone that does it, but sadly I don't do it that much myself. But when someone admits that my argument was stronger, I usually respond with a sentence like "I see we have reached our conclusion, thanks for that."

In real life, when someone admits defeat I just go like "yup..." and make sure I leave on good terms with the person.
Apr 29, 2016 2:05 PM

Jul 2011
Nothing, the argument it's over, no need of wasting more time.
Apr 29, 2016 2:05 PM

Jan 2016
why do you want to argue.
put hands on that bish
tear that ass up.
what better way to teach somebody than to put hands on them for some slick shit
Apr 29, 2016 2:09 PM

Feb 2010
i dont care its just fun to see people trying to prove their truths to me and if its friend i argued with and he lost omg i can remind him about it later xDD best thing ever
Apr 29, 2016 2:09 PM

Nov 2015
I've never had someone do that to me apart from a few close friends. People have admitted their defeat to me many times but always in the way akin to, 'you are right but...'. In case of my friends, I just simply smile and say 'have a good day'. Don't feel anything; since I only win discussions which I'm absolutely sure of. Others I either end up admitting my defeat in precisely the same way as you described in the OP (if the other person had respectable arguments) or the argument ends in exasperation from both sides.
Apr 29, 2016 2:15 PM

May 2015
Whenever I come across a situation like this (which is rare, as those above have stated), I always remind to myself that I am me and they are them. Even if I do win the argument, I'll still try to see it from the other party's perspective so that I can get more insight on the subject matter. I don't aim to dominate the other party. I just want to come into an agreement with them. And at the end, I try to lighten up the mood so that we both can have a small laugh and make up.
Apr 29, 2016 2:20 PM

Jan 2009
most of the time when someone concedes im shock too so i do not say anything
Apr 29, 2016 2:26 PM

May 2015
Immahnoob said:
I don't like having fans, @NeoVolt
I thought we were best buds? Sigh. I guess I'll be crying myself to sleep tonight.
Apr 29, 2016 3:11 PM

Apr 2014
j0x said:

Me too, but then I feel bad making them think I'm snobby for not responding so I feel like I have to say something back at least :/

Trance- said:
I've never had someone do that to me apart from a few close friends. People have admitted their defeat to me many times but always in the way akin to, 'you are right but...'. In case of my friends, I just simply smile and say 'have a good day'. Don't feel anything; since I only win discussions which I'm absolutely sure of. Others I either end up admitting my defeat in precisely the same way as you described in the OP (if the other person had respectable arguments) or the argument ends in exasperation from both sides.

It really is rare for similar situations like this to occur. Admittedly, I'm not one to always concede my own defeats so valiantly, but when I do it's because I had a good reason to do so and I do so amiably. But it's the rare moments when you see eye to eye with someone that could lead to some friendships. I've met several people along the lines like this.
Apr 29, 2016 3:15 PM

Oct 2015
I am one of those people who have a tendency to stop replying at some point in an argument. If it's plainly obvious that neither of us will ever come to an agreement no matter what because of senses of justice or radically different viewpoints I don't see the point in persisting with the argument.

If someone decides to side with me, I will usually just drop the conversation from there, and go on with my day.
Apr 29, 2016 3:20 PM

Jan 2009
Protaku said:
j0x said:

Me too, but then I feel bad making them think I'm snobby for not responding so I feel like I have to say something back at least :/

i can totally relate to that especially when they conceded with a kinda sad reply then i will feel bad too but if i cannot find the words since im more likely to be speechless in that situation then i never bother to give a reply
Apr 29, 2016 3:23 PM
Apr 29, 2016 3:37 PM

Sep 2015
If they concede the argument then I'll just leave it at that. There won't really be much point continuing if they've accepted I'm right. It's as good a place to stop as any.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Apr 29, 2016 3:48 PM

Feb 2015
I feel ecstasy about there being decent people on the internet (or just decent people in general). Also opens up me wanting to discuss or argue some more topics with them, and friendship. I try to be reasonable too though, I mean, if I was overly stubborn, I wouldn't blame people for not wanting to engage with me or not taking me seriously.
Apr 29, 2016 4:02 PM

Dec 2011
It isn't rare to me. I win discussion in the internet all the time.
Someday you will reach my level, young boy.
Apr 29, 2016 4:54 PM

Mar 2014
It doesn't happen that often (since they usually eventually end up rage quitting or getting their shit wrecked by yours truly) but when it does I don't find it one bit surprising

Not many people can handle my mad shitposting $$$killz, after all
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 29, 2016 5:00 PM
Apr 2013
Nothing. Since most if not all of my recent arguments were directed at the Staff. And you know how that turn out in the end. Ignored.
Apr 29, 2016 6:14 PM

Dec 2012
This is a good thing. It means they've learned something from you and appreciate your opinion. This is a characteristic of a healthy argument where the purpose is to learn and accept different perspectives. Unfortunately most people on the internet argue to win and let out their anger.
Props to you and that dude! Although unrealistic, I still hope more people can have those kind of discussions without throwing out the retard card.
Apr 29, 2016 6:16 PM
Jul 2015
What I like about discussing is the emotion of being proven wrong or right. Once a side admit defeat, doesn't matter if it is me or the other, I lose my interest.

But sometimes I feel that I can't let that guy win the discussion. specially when I know someone is using bullshit logic.

Apr 29, 2016 6:41 PM

Aug 2012
The usual smug smirk should be a good enough reaction, followed with an "I know" or "I win".
Apr 29, 2016 8:09 PM

Oct 2015
I am naturally defensive in an argument but if they are right I will admit it maybe after trying to distract them first lol. Usually people just say something totally stupid and judgemental on my post somewhere and I know it is coz I always try to be nice and plain with my posts so it is often not even warranted and then I just say something nice to give them the benefit of the doubt so they can move on thinking they have won but in reality I am mentally stronger. However, there was this ONE GUY who just took my nice comment to reasonably end the conversation coz he mentioned something contravercial which I didn't wanna talk about and he used that as a way to get back at my argument. I was dumb founded by that but had to force myself to leave it but luckily my friends came and kicked his sorry ass royally without any input from me lol and he thought he was still argueing with me until like 20 posts through it and then he tried to get me back by posting hate comments which were completely false statements which he could have known the truth if he had even read the first post lol. then he eventually got trounced so many times he just left and never ever came back again ROFL XD that's my story. sorry it so long
Apr 29, 2016 8:30 PM

Jan 2013
I don't really argue with anybody, ever, just because I don't care if they disagree with me.
Apr 29, 2016 9:18 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
It depends on what it was about.
Nowadays, I mostly just try to clear up certain definitions, add information, or try to at least establish another viewpoint that others can consider whether it's my own or not. I don't really try to prove claims or debunk them as frequently as I used to years ago.
That being said, most things end with me thinking or typing, "Phew! I'm glad I could clear that up!" if someone concedes. That's pretty much it.

As for me, I admit to my flaws or whatever they might be if it comes down to it. I'm more interested in exploring the topic than trying to figure out who's "the winner", but it kinda seems that people are more concerned with "winning" a side than being open to actually... discuss.
Like seriously, I enter into discussions to learn, not really to "win".;; I don't know about everyone else, but the division causes a lot of misunderstandings, I feel.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Apr 29, 2016 9:23 PM

Apr 2016
Swiggy said:
It depends on what it was about.
Nowadays, I mostly just try to clear up certain definitions, add information, or try to at least establish another viewpoint that others can consider whether it's my own or not. I don't really try to prove claims or debunk them as frequently as I used to years ago.
That being said, most things end with me thinking or typing, "Phew! I'm glad I could clear that up!" if someone concedes. That's pretty much it.

As for me, I admit to my flaws or whatever they might be if it comes down to it. I'm more interested in exploring the topic than trying to figure out who's "the winner", but it kinda seems that people are more concerned with "winning" a side than being open to actually... discuss.
Like seriously, I enter into discussions to learn, not really to "win".;; I don't know about everyone else, but the division causes a lot of misunderstandings, I feel.

and thats why youre single ROFL
30chracterlimit........
Apr 30, 2016 12:16 AM

Feb 2015
It always surprises me when it happens. I never really know how to react either. Usually I let them know that I'm impressed with their level of humility/maturity, or something along those lines.

It really gives you hope for humanity when you can see someone has the ability to accept the possibility that someone else may have something they can learn from. It's all the more impressive when they do that even after what seemed to be a heated argument.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Apr 30, 2016 12:57 AM

Aug 2015
Can't remember if I've ever experienced that, usually if I'm winning in an argument they just abandon the discussion or say something like "You know what? I don't care what you think because I'm right".

I myself however can admit defeat. There have been occasions where I've been debating with someone, and realized that they actually make a very solid point. What follows is me admitting that they were right.
Apr 30, 2016 2:06 AM

May 2015
I praise them for the ability to say they're wrong. Few people have this.

I hope I'm honest enough to admit when I'm wrong.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things

More topics from this board

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

670 by SynthwaveCrusade »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » school uniform or no school uniform which is better? ( 1 2 )

deg - Feb 21

99 by LoveYourEyes »»
45 minutes ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Apr 19

38 by fae »»
1 hour ago

» Fill this thread with the most questionable statement or two you can think of!

IAmOdie - Apr 20

29 by Kamikaze_404 »»
1 hour ago

» What do you think about online friendship?

Mehwish_999 - Apr 21

42 by fae »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.