Forum Settings
Forums

Do you think female protagonist who support main protagonist more popular than female main protagonist ?

New
Apr 29, 2016 4:13 AM
Apr 2016
Do you think female protagonist who is support main protagonist get more popular than female main protagonist. For example when there topic about who is your favorite female protagonist some people say is saber , rin , mikasa , tohka , rias and etc ( as long she support protagonist ) meanwhile female main protagonist just like balsa , birdy , and the other who is main protagonist female get less popular .

So my question

1. Do you think current female main protagonist get less popular than current female protagonist who support main protagonist ?

2. Are people prefer female protagonist who have personality tsundere , kundere , yandere , dandere than female who trying overcome challange for example just like Ryuko , Alita , Birdy , Clare , Yona ? .

I mean for example when there some people favorite female protagonist in every year who win is always female protagonist who support true protagonist indeed female main protagonist herself.

I know this is weird topic so i want to know what do you think about this ?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 29, 2016 4:15 AM

Jul 2012
Ryuko is popular, though?

Birdy wasn't the protag, but the boy. Yona is from a Shoujo series and that rarely gets recognition.
Apr 29, 2016 4:27 AM
Dec 2015
1) Well, Shirayuki is a very popular female lead. There are many others of, course, but she is a newer one that instantly comes to mind.

2) Are you implying that these characters who overcome obstacles don't fall into any character archetype? If so, then it may not be so much that people don't like characters without archetypes, but instead they may not watch much anime that doesn't include them. Moe anime has predominant female leads that have adequate fanbases and most of them fall into character archetypes.
Apr 29, 2016 4:31 AM

Apr 2013
1. Do you think current female main protagonist get less popular than current female protagonist who support main protagonist ?
No, there are just way more female support characters than real main characters.

2. Are people prefer female protagonist who have personality tsundere , kundere , yandere , dandere than female who trying overcome challange for example just like Ryuko , Alita , Birdy , Clare , Yona ? .
No, in general people prefer unique personalities.
Apr 29, 2016 4:34 AM

Mar 2015
ehh... asian prefer their woman independent and strong... look at GITS, or claymore.. or older example like sazae-san...
KumaApr 29, 2016 4:37 AM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 29, 2016 4:36 AM

Feb 2013
female protagonist who support main protagonist more popular than female main protagonist which is not female protagonist but actual main protagonist that is protagonist and not antagonist from the deuteragonist of male antagonist who has female protagonist
Apr 29, 2016 4:48 AM

Oct 2015
Kuma said:
ehh... asian prefer their woman independent and strong...

ah.. this. (not only asian, but more in "general")

well, usually, female characters who support main character are independent and quite capable on their own (in most setting, they're strong and able to fight or wield any weapon or power of their own)

regardless of which trope they're related/belong to, I think it depends on each other preferences... (yes, there are people who prefer sweet, or meek female character than the strong one)
Apr 29, 2016 5:00 AM
Apr 2016
Kuma said:
ehh... asian prefer their woman independent and strong... look at GITS, or claymore.. or older example like sazae-san...

Since when if i remember asian more prefer female protagonist who support main protagonist . What i see female character current nowdays only who act so moe , have strong power but acting just like tsundere , kuudere , dandere .

Hell if you compare to some voting female protagonist who support main protagonist just like Saber and Rin who played support Shirou , Rias who support Issei , and etc as long female protagonist who playing support mai protagonist more popular than female main protagonist.
Apr 29, 2016 5:12 AM

Mar 2015
Saintrider891 said:
Kuma said:

Since when if i remember asian more prefer female protagonist who support main protagonist . What i see female character current nowdays only who act so moe , have strong power but acting just like tsundere , kuudere , dandere .

Hell if you compare to some voting female protagonist who support main protagonist just like Saber and Rin who played support Shirou , Rias who support Issei , and etc as long female protagonist who playing support mai protagonist more popular than female main protagonist.
since sazae-san? i mean sazae-san is from 50"s...

stop watching niche market male targetted stuff and start to watching series that has more mainstream appealing, or shoujo.... lets take example for "current" anime that have dominant female lead like flaying witch and sailor moon..

also i don't see anything wrong as femele lead has certain traits... shoujo using this alot and they are targetted for female...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 29, 2016 5:12 AM

Nov 2009
Saintrider891 said:
Do you think female protagonist who is support main protagonist get more popular than female main protagonist. For example when there topic about who is your favorite female protagonist some people say is saber , rin , mikasa , tohka , rias and etc ( as long she support protagonist ) meanwhile female main protagonist just like balsa , birdy , and the other who is main protagonist female get less popular .

1) The most popular girl on MAL is Gasai Yuuno, a yandere and the protagonist of Mirai Nikki. Male lead of Mirai Nikki is just a point-of-view character.
Having an archetypical personality doesn't mean you can't be the main character.

2) Do note that many females who are clearly protagonists star in shoujo anime. Shoujo anime are generally unpopular among men for reasons that are hard to see and describe, but easy to feel.

3) Izumi Konata, the most popular protagonist of Cute Girls Doing Cute Things, is #35 overall, and #8 among girls. Not bad.

4) For many men, favorite female character is the character they like in a sexual way ("waifu"). "Supportive" is a very nice trait for a love interest.

Personally, among my 6 favorites, there is 1 male protagonist (Shiroe the strategist of Log Horizon, I admire him), 1 female protagonist (Kajiwara Sora, I feel I'm a lot like her), 1 female lead who isn't the protagonist (Len from Kagetsu Tohya, the embodiment of everything moe), and 3 female side characters (1 of them I admire, and 2 I like as women).

romagia said:
female protagonist who support main protagonist more popular than female main protagonist which is not female protagonist but actual main protagonist that is protagonist and not antagonist from the deuteragonist of male antagonist who has female protagonist

Is it a tongue-twister?
Apr 29, 2016 5:32 AM

Feb 2013
flannan said:
romagia said:

Is it a tongue-twister?
it is my honest thought and opinion on this topic
Apr 29, 2016 5:40 AM
Apr 2016
flannan said:
Saintrider891 said:

1) The most popular girl on MAL is Gasai Yuuno, a yandere and the protagonist of Mirai Nikki. Male lead of Mirai Nikki is just a point-of-view character.
Having an archetypical personality doesn't mean you can't be the main character.

2) Do note that many females who are clearly protagonists star in shoujo anime. Shoujo anime are generally unpopular among men for reasons that are hard to see and describe, but easy to feel.

3) Izumi Konata, the most popular protagonist of Cute Girls Doing Cute Things, is #35 overall, and #8 among girls. Not bad.

4) For many men, favorite female character is the character they like in a sexual way ("waifu"). "Supportive" is a very nice trait for a love interest.

Personally, among my 6 favorites, there is 1 male protagonist (Shiroe the strategist of Log Horizon, I admire him), 1 female protagonist (Kajiwara Sora, I feel I'm a lot like her), 1 female lead who isn't the protagonist (Len from Kagetsu Tohya, the embodiment of everything moe), and 3 female side characters (1 of them I admire, and 2 I like as women )

1. That pool you use just Mal but when you make threat about who is your favorite female protagonist female protagonist some people will say is "Bla bla " what make big result is female lead who support protagonist more popular than female main protagonist but i agree about archetypical personality can become main protagonist.

2. That what make irony right now there so many shoujo that is so good only get unpopular because there so many male demographic ( note : just because male demographic that doen't mean you can't use female protagonist ).

4. Huh maybe some male like waifu but i'm diffrent because i prefer female main protagonist who overcome challange for example just like Yona , Haruhi , Balsa , Rinka from tokyo esp ( manga version ) , Clare ( claymore ).
Apr 29, 2016 5:46 AM
Apr 2016
Saintrider891 said:

So my question

I mean for example when there some people favorite female protagonist in every year who win is always female protagonist who support true protagonist indeed female main protagonist herself.

I know this is weird topic so i want to know what do you think about this ?

Female protagonist>>>>supporting female character most of the time.

With a female protagonist (in an anime that isn't an all girl cast or isn't super fanservicey), you get a woman who, unlike a lot of male protagonists, you won't have to worry about constantly spewing the wearied things you hear from main characters in anime (I will win! Friendship trumps all! you know, Every 3rd sentence naruto says).

The female who supports the main character is often times very annoying, having half their dialogue be the main character's name or worrying about the main character.
Apr 29, 2016 5:48 AM

Jun 2015
God be it, I've always asked myself questions similar to this.

I think it's just because there are more male leads in anime, since anime is a medium that generally attracts boys/men more than it does girls (that's also why the shoujo demographic is a bare desert compared to shounen and seinen). By having a male lead, more boys may relate to the characters and the anime becomes more popular/the sales go up. And you ALWAYS have to have a female supporter, because that means there's a chance for romance, and everybody likes some romance in their stories, even if they're an action person. From here now, it's a chain.
'
1. You have a popular anime with a main male lead and a female supporter.
2. Popular anime gets more views. More people are aware of this badass male lead and great female supporter.
3. "THIS FEMALE SUPPORTER IS GREAT", the anime community says, and shows her off, so that everybody knows.
4. Everybody knows. More people get attracted to said anime. They watch it. Now they're a fan of this popular anime with a main male lead and female supporter.
5. "THIS FEMALE SUPPORTER IS GREAT," the anime community says, but louder, since there are more fans of her now.
6. Cycle generally repeats until said anime dies out.

Now, take that and compare it to a female lead character. Maybe a female lead isn't relatable, or maybe there are just some people who dislike female leads, despite some of them being really cool. An anime with a female lead generally doesn't become popular unless 1) it's a romance anime OR 2) the anime can guarantee that they will bring something good to the table.

The main female character can be very well-written, though her anime may never get popular since female leads tend to iffy on the anime community.
Kill La Kill was a hit anime with a strong female lead. It was popular because it had a unique and interesting story as well as good art and nice OST.
Yona of the Dawn has an interesting story as well, accompanied by a female lead and male supporters. It deserves all the recognition it can get, but it doesn't. Why? Who the fuck knows? But the anime isn't popular. So nobody knows Yona.

tldr; more popular anime tend to have male leads whereas less popular anime tend to have female leads (for some reason that nobody knows) therefore female supporters in said popular anime WILL be more popular for the general reason that their anime is more well known
Apr 29, 2016 5:52 AM

Mar 2015
Do you think current female main protagonist get less popular than current female protagonist who support main protagonist ?
Yes.

Are people prefer female protagonist who have personality tsundere , kundere , yandere , dandere than female who trying overcome challange for example just like Ryuko , Alita , Birdy , Clare , Yona ? .
Probably. As for me, I like their personality, not their "strength". This also apply to my fav male characters. I like their personality rather than their "power".
EsperApr 29, 2016 6:07 AM
This salad is salty favored
Apr 29, 2016 6:01 AM

Mar 2015
Saintrider891 said:
2. That what make irony right now there so many shoujo that is so good only get unpopular because there so many male demographic ( note : just because male demographic that doen't mean you can't use female protagonist ).
"Holy fuck, most shounen anime have male lead and most shoujo have female lead, where is the equality? shounen must dominized for female too"

are you fucking wut mate?

also there is different between main lead, main character, and supporting character...
Apr 29, 2016 6:05 AM
Apr 2016
ixaa said:
God be it, I've always asked myself questions similar to this.

I think it's just because there are more male leads in anime, since anime is a medium that generally attracts boys/men more than it does girls (that's also why the shoujo demographic is a bare desert compared to shounen and seinen). By having a male lead, more boys may relate to the characters and the anime becomes more popular/the sales go up. And you ALWAYS have to have a female supporter, because that means there's a chance for romance, and everybody likes some romance in their stories, even if they're an action person. From here now, it's a chain.
'
1. You have a popular anime with a main male lead and a female supporter.
2. Popular anime gets more views. More people are aware of this badass male lead and great female supporter.
3. "THIS FEMALE SUPPORTER IS GREAT", the anime community says, and shows her off, so that everybody knows.
4. Everybody knows. More people get attracted to said anime. They watch it. Now they're a fan of this popular anime with a main male lead and female supporter.
5. "THIS FEMALE SUPPORTER IS GREAT," the anime community says, but louder, since there are more fans of her now.
6. Cycle generally repeats until said anime dies out.

Now, take that and compare it to a female lead character. Maybe a female lead isn't relatable, or maybe there are just some people who dislike female leads, despite some of them being really cool. An anime with a female lead generally doesn't become popular unless 1) it's a romance anime OR 2) the anime can guarantee that they will bring something good to the table.

The main female character can be very well-written, though her anime may never get popular since female leads tend to iffy on the anime community.
Kill La Kill was a hit anime with a strong female lead. It was popular because it had a unique and interesting story as well as good art and nice OST.
Yona of the Dawn has an interesting story as well, accompanied by a female lead and male supporters. It deserves all the recognition it can get, but it doesn't. Why? Who the fuck knows? But the anime isn't popular. So nobody knows Yona.

tldr; more popular anime tend to have male leads whereas less popular anime tend to have female leads (for some reason that nobody knows) therefore female supporters in said popular anime WILL be more popular for the general reason that their anime is more well known

Ha ha ha glad that i'm not only one i feel same just like you . When there so many anime with badass main male protagonist and female support i fell really boring so i'm decide to reverse idea with badass female protagonist and great male support.
Saintrider891Apr 29, 2016 6:16 AM
Apr 29, 2016 6:56 AM

Nov 2009
Saintrider891 said:
flannan said:

Personally, among my 6 favorites, there is 1 male protagonist (Shiroe the strategist of Log Horizon, I admire him), 1 female protagonist (Kajiwara Sora, I feel I'm a lot like her), 1 female lead who isn't the protagonist (Len from Kagetsu Tohya, the embodiment of everything moe), and 3 female side characters (1 of them I admire, and 2 I like as women )

1. That pool you use just Mal but when you make threat about who is your favorite female protagonist female protagonist some people will say is "Bla bla " what make big result is female lead who support protagonist more popular than female main protagonist but i agree about archetypical personality can become main protagonist.

4. Huh maybe some male like waifu but i'm diffrent because i prefer female main protagonist who overcome challange for example just like Yona , Haruhi , Balsa , Rinka from tokyo esp ( manga version ) , Clare ( claymore ).

1) I just used the poll that is closest to me - it's here in the MAL's menu. http://myanimelist.net/character.php?_location=mal_h_m

2) A lot of shoujo anime (except, possibly, magical girl anime) are, for some reason, hard to watch as a male.
In my experience, the ones that are watchable tend to feel "bland", the ones that are unwatchable are too emotionally turbulent for someone like me to handle.

And MAL is said to be populated by ~30-40% females, which doesn't give them as much voice as males.

4) Well, among "supporting" characters you listed Saber and Toosaka Rin, who move the plot in their own right, are good in a fight and are generally cool. By the way, Saber is #6 girl and #27 overall, and Toosaka Rin is #92 overall (and I'm too lazy to count females separately this far). I have no idea why you dislike them, unless you're looking for a feminist role model.
Apr 29, 2016 7:21 AM

Nov 2015
tbh there aren't a whole lot of main Female leads in the first place (well at least in the case of action anime).
The once that are may or may not be popular, just like any other character.
Look at Ryuko Matoi, Tomoko Kuroki & Suzumiya Haruhi for instance.
Apr 29, 2016 1:38 PM
Apr 2016
flannan said:
Saintrider891 said:

4) Well, among "supporting" characters you listed Saber and Toosaka Rin, who move the plot in their own right, are good in a fight and are generally cool. By the way, Saber is #6 girl and #27 overall, and Toosaka Rin is #92 overall (and I'm too lazy to count females separately this far). I have no idea why you dislike them, unless you're looking for a feminist role model.

Nah just because Saber and Rin is cool in good fight that doen't mean in personality is good . Now if you count female current nowdays the most popular is have archetypical personality who playing support protagonist more popular than a someone who overcome challange have playing role as female main protagonist.
Apr 29, 2016 4:23 PM
Apr 2016
riane-kun said:
Kuma said:
ehh... asian prefer their woman independent and strong...

well, usually, female characters who support main character are independent and quite capable on their own (in most setting, they're strong and able to fight or wield any weapon or power of their own)

regardless of which trope they're related/belong to, I think it depends on each other preferences... (yes, there are people who prefer sweet, or meek female character than the strong one)

Are you going to say in general people prefer female main protagonist who can handle herself and strong power than female main protagonist who trying to overcome obstacle front of her in term physical and mental ?
Saintrider891Apr 29, 2016 4:41 PM
Apr 29, 2016 4:57 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Saintrider891 said:
Do you think female protagonist who is support main protagonist get more popular than female main protagonist.

Dunno, popular where?

For example when there topic about who is your favorite female protagonist some people say is saber , rin , mikasa , tohka , rias and etc ( as long she support protagonist ) meanwhile female main protagonist just like balsa , birdy , and the other who is main protagonist female get less popular .

Is that actual reason people give for like Saber, Rin, Mikasa, Tohka or are just making that up?

Not really. Thing is, whether they supporting the male protagonist or not is not really a factor that affects their popularity. At least, I haven't anyone mention it as a reason.

This is a total false dichotomy. Are you implying that a character who falls into one of those character archetypes can't overcome challenges?
There's also more character archetypes than those.

Are you talking about something like Saimoe League? Because, again, whether they support a male protagonist couldn't matter less for that contest.
Apr 29, 2016 4:58 PM

Oct 2014
I think it's because of the shounen thing. A lot of people here mostly watch anime with male protagonists. Out of my favourites 6 are main females (protagonist or part of an all-female group cast), 3 are supporting females, and 1 is male (L).
Apr 29, 2016 5:01 PM

May 2015
>anime that have female leads aren't as popular in the anime community

>so people don't talk about those anime as much because they aren't as popular and not many people have seen them

Is this such a hard concept to understand?
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Apr 29, 2016 5:07 PM
Apr 2016
BatoKusanagi said:
Saintrider891 said:
Do you think female protagonist who is support main protagonist get more popular than female main protagonist.

Dunno, popular where?

For example when there topic about who is your favorite female protagonist some people say is saber , rin , mikasa , tohka , rias and etc ( as long she support protagonist ) meanwhile female main protagonist just like balsa , birdy , and the other who is main protagonist female get less popular .

Is that actual reason people give for like Saber, Rin, Mikasa, Tohka or are just making that up?

Not really. Thing is, whether they supporting the male protagonist or not is not really a factor that affects their popularity. At least, I haven't anyone mention it as a reason.

This is a total false dichotomy. Are you implying that a character who falls into one of those character archetypes can't overcome challenges?
There's also more character archetypes than those.

Are you talking about something like Saimoe League? Because, again, whether they support a male protagonist couldn't matter less for that contest.

Read that post what ixaa say is true.
Apr 29, 2016 5:10 PM
Apr 2016
RainyRai said:

>so people don't talk about those anime as much because they aren't as popular and not many people have seen them

Who knows beside that female lead you talking about must be female protagonist who support main protagonist is more popular than female main protagonist.
Apr 29, 2016 5:14 PM

Jan 2014
Yes, because anime with male proragonist more popular, it's similiar to my thread before
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1496936
Apr 29, 2016 5:16 PM

May 2015
Saintrider891 said:
RainyRai said:

Who knows beside that female lead you talking about must be female protagonist who support main protagonist is more popular than female main protagonist.

Yeah, because anime is a niche medium and the West is a niche fanbase that leans to more male fans then more female fans so the popular anime in the West tends to have female support and male leads, while in Japan females just read shoujo and josei manga instead of watching those anime, so those anime are rarely made because they won't make a profit. Meanwhile there is a chance that male demographic appealing anime will.

The shows that make a profit that are more popular among females are typically more popular among the fujoshi fanbase for similar reasons of appealing to them. These anime don't have to have female leads to appeal to them.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Apr 29, 2016 5:27 PM

Nov 2015
romagia said:
flannan said:

Is it a tongue-twister?
it is my honest thought and opinion on this topic

Sounds like it can be lyrics for a song.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 29, 2016 6:39 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Saintrider891 said:

Is it really? Or do I have to take your word for it?
Apr 29, 2016 7:01 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
There are quite a few users here that won't even watch an anime if the main protagonist is a female, so I guess a female who plays the supporting role to a male protagonist would probably be more popular, sadly.
And by supporting role, I didn't take that to mean that these female characters are actually directly supporting them in battle, a relationship, or otherwise. Was I supposed to?

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Apr 29, 2016 7:05 PM
Apr 2016
HiatusXHiatus said:
Yes, because anime with male proragonist more popular, it's similiar to my thread before
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1496936

So that answers huh . Make sense look like in future male protagonist get more his shows than female main protagonist.

Not to mention female protagonist who support main protagonist will win againts a show female main protagonist in this year.
Apr 29, 2016 7:08 PM

Mar 2016
If she doesnt support the main protagonist them she shoudnt be the main girl in the first place.

FSN and Toaru dont really have a main girl, index appear as little as any other side character anyway

Apr 29, 2016 7:25 PM
Apr 2016
Somuchgamer said:
If she doesnt support the main protagonist them she shoudnt be the main girl in the first place.

Then what role are you talking about if female protagonist who is support main protagonist ?

Are you going to say she is not one of protagonist but basically support ( for example just like Lucy , Mikasa , rias ).

If i remember there a rules you can have more than one protagonis but the shows is still focus main protagonist or true protagonist than one other protagonist.
Apr 29, 2016 7:29 PM

Mar 2016
Saintrider891 said:
Somuchgamer said:

Then what role are you talking about if female protagonist who is support main protagonist ?

Are you going to say she is not one of protagonist but basically support ( for example just like Lucy , Mikasa , rias ).

If i remember there a rules you can have more than one protagonis but the shows is still focus main protagonist or true protagonist than one other protagonist.
What would be the meaning in having a male protagonist and a girl protagonist if the girl and the male will not support each other in any type of problem?

Apr 29, 2016 7:33 PM
Apr 2016
BatoKusanagi said:
Saintrider891 said:

Is it really? Or do I have to take your word for it?

Fine so you want my opinion . If you count about female protagonist result past year female who support protagonist always getting voting than female main protagonist.

Saber , Rin , Mikasa , Tohka is female protagonist but they is still playing support role since the star show is Shirou , Eren , Shido.

As for you say archetypes can't overcome challange is sorry . so i agree with you archetypes character can overcome challange.
Apr 29, 2016 8:37 PM

Oct 2015
Saintrider891 said:
riane-kun said:

Are you going to say in general people prefer female main protagonist who can handle herself and strong power than female main protagonist who trying to overcome obstacle front of her in term physical and mental ?

haha just read what ixaa said, and I think that's a good one (and make sense)

just replying yours, though...
Nope, I can't exactly say that "in general", since... I think that those two kind of female characters are both likeable (again, it depends on people preferences). hmm for example, a female character who try her best to overcome obstacle might become someone's favorite, but for someone else, she can become an annoying character because of her persistence.

apparently, strength comes in different shapes, no?
(oh btw, that "in general" was meant to be "not only for asian", sorry...)
Apr 29, 2016 9:28 PM
Apr 2016
riane-kun said:
Saintrider891 said:

haha just read what ixaa said, and I think that's a good one (and make sense)

just replying yours, though...
Nope, I can't exactly say that "in general", since... I think that those two kind of female characters are both likeable (again, it depends on people preferences). hmm for example, a female character who try her best to overcome obstacle might become someone's favorite, but for someone else, she can become an annoying character because of her persistence.

apparently, strength comes in different shapes, no?
(oh btw, that "in general" was meant to be "not only for asian", sorry...)

Hahaha i agree with you about this and ixaa said is really current most anime nowdays.

For a strenght i prefer strenght personality over a strenght power .
Apr 29, 2016 9:46 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Saintrider891 said:
Fine so you want my opinion . If you count about female protagonist result past year female who support protagonist always getting voting than female main protagonist.

Saber , Rin , Mikasa , Tohka is female protagonist but they is still playing support role since the star show is Shirou , Eren , Shido.

As for you say archetypes can't overcome challange is sorry . so i agree with you archetypes character can overcome challange.

What votes and results are you talking about exactly? Just to be sure.

I was also objecting to your point about female protagonists "playing support" being a reason for their popularity, though I suppose it can be for shippers; but even then, often the female protagonists are more popular than than the male protagonists. For example, Saber is the poster girl for Type Moon, and has a bunch of clones. Not to mention that none of those characters just stay back and let the guy take all the glory. It's certainly the case for Saber, Rin and Mikasa. There's more to these characters than just "playing support", which factors into their popularity.
Apr 29, 2016 9:49 PM

Jun 2015
That just depends on the show... a lot of love triangle/harem anime are like this, it bugs the crap out of me when they make the supporting female so likable, and then at the end she ends up losing, which kills me.

Action anime on the other hand, I'm 100% fine with. Mainstream example: Erza from FT is more popular than Lucy is (at least, from what I've seen & heard, and from personal bias).
Apr 29, 2016 9:52 PM

Jul 2015
hanabi in naruto and lala in TLR Darkness imo
Apr 29, 2016 10:23 PM

Jun 2012
You have to compare the popularity of these characters relative to the popularity of their franchise. No shit Shirayuki is less popular than the Fate girls, Fate is ridiculously huge. But Shirayuki is almost unanimously liked among people who watch her series, and certainly gets less hate than every Fate girl.

And on Fate, if anything the MC supports the girls rather than vice-versa. He's the "housewife" character of the series, doing all the cooking, cleaning and housekeeping. In addition, he's weaker than all of them and plays a sporting role in most fights. Shirou is basically the perfect waifu, and yet is infinitely less popular than all the main girls. Why are people sexist against male waifus? D:
Apr 30, 2016 12:19 AM
Apr 2016
BatoKusanagi said:
Saintrider891 said:

What votes and results are you talking about exactly? Just to be sure.

I was also objecting to your point about female protagonists "playing support" being a reason for their popularity, though I suppose it can be for shippers; but even then, often the female protagonists are more popular than than the male protagonists. For example, Saber is the poster girl for Type Moon, and has a bunch of clones. Not to mention that none of those characters just stay back and let the guy take all the glory. It's certainly the case for Saber, Rin and Mikasa. There's more to these characters than just "playing support", which factors into their popularity.

Because Saber and Rin is wife archytype what make them popular. Now if you want to talking about nasuverse look example to Ryougi Shiki and Aoko aozaki because they is main protagonist / true protagonist .

Now let's just compare to Ryougi shiki and Aoko aozaki to Saber and Rin because result is Saber and Rin will beating Aoko aozaki and Ryougi shiki.

See that this result is just female protagonist who is playing support will get more win than female protagonist not to mention we talking only nasuverse / type moon now if we talking anime in whole i'm sure female protagonist who support protagonist is more popular than female main protagonist.

Her the link where Saber and Rin fight in 2015 .
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1449551&show=0
Saintrider891Apr 30, 2016 12:56 AM
Apr 30, 2016 12:30 AM
Apr 2016
Intelligenza said:
That just depends on the show... a lot of love triangle/harem anime are like this, it bugs the crap out of me when they make the supporting female so likable, and then at the end she ends up losing, which kills me.

Action anime on the other hand, I'm 100% fine with. Mainstream example: Erza from FT is more popular than Lucy is (at least, from what I've seen & heard, and from personal bias).

Sadly in anime Erza is major character who support protagonist meanwhile Lucy is female protagonist who is support main protagonist since main protagonist / true star protagonist is Natsu.

If you compare to action then let's see if you watch Gurren langan everyone will more say Kamina and Simon is meanwhile Yoko only have less favorite compare to Kamina and Simon.
Apr 30, 2016 12:37 AM
Apr 2016
hydro said:
You have to compare the popularity of these characters relative to the popularity of their franchise. No shit Shirayuki is less popular than the Fate girls, Fate is ridiculously huge. But Shirayuki is almost unanimously liked among people who watch her series, and certainly gets less hate than every Fate girl.

And on Fate, if anything the MC supports the girls rather than vice-versa. He's the "housewife" character of the series, doing all the cooking, cleaning and housekeeping. In addition, he's weaker than all of them and plays a sporting role in most fights. Shirou is basically the perfect waifu, and yet is infinitely less popular than all the main girls. Why are people sexist against male waifus? D:

And ? if you waching UBW and Heaven feel in VN Shirou is more protagonist compare to Saber and Rin .

Shirou is more get praise in beast lair not to mention compare to other protagonist in type moon he is have a chance more win compare to Shiki Tohno , Shiki Ryougi and Aoko Aozaki.
Apr 30, 2016 1:17 AM

Nov 2009
@Saintrider891
Aoko Aozaki didn't get her own anime yet. I'm sure a lot of people did not play her game, and her role in Tsukihime is minimal.

But overall, I have Four answers for you:
1) You define a ridiculously narrow category of characters to make your point. If you see two people, a man and a woman, fight side by side, you always assume the man is the main character, and the woman supports him. You sexist.
You even refuse to acknowledge that Gasai Yuno belongs in it, even though she moves the plot, fights the fights, romances the romance and does everything else while Yuuki can only stare in horror.

2) Majority of anime are "shounen". Shounen usually have male protagonists, because they're considered more relatable, and often they have female co-protagonists and supporting characters, because gender balance, fanservice and other reasons.
As a result, female non-protagonist main characters and supporting characters are way, way more numerous. They can easily win through strength of numbers.

3) Do the characters you like really have a memorable personality? Are you sure their personality isn't the default?

4) Frankly, all of your examples that I've seen are good people. A lot of viewers and commenters here are either bad people or fans of bad people.
I don't understand them, I like Emiya Shirou and Saber better than Gilgamesh. In fact, Gilgamesh is an dumb ancient relic, only good for getting his ass kicked.

Saintrider891 said:
Nah just because Saber and Rin is cool in good fight that doen't mean in personality is good .

Is Saber's personality really all that different from Shirayuki? I don't think so.

Saintrider891 said:
Because Saber and Rin is wife archytype what make them popular.

Yeah, you're the sexist.
flannanApr 30, 2016 1:24 AM
Apr 30, 2016 1:53 AM
Apr 2016
flannan said:
@Saintrider891
Aoko Aozaki didn't get her own anime yet. I'm sure a lot of people did not play her game, and her role in Tsukihime is minimal.

But overall, I have Four answers for you:
1) You define a ridiculously narrow category of characters to make your point. If you see two people, a man and a woman, fight side by side, you always assume the man is the main character, and the woman supports him. You sexist.
You even refuse to acknowledge that Gasai Yuno belongs in it, even though she moves the plot, fights the fights, romances the romance and does everything else while Yuuki can only stare in horror.

2) Majority of anime are "shounen". Shounen usually have male protagonists, because they're considered more relatable, and often they have female co-protagonists and supporting characters, because gender balance, fanservice and other reasons.
As a result, female non-protagonist main characters and supporting characters are way, way more numerous. They can easily win through strength of numbers.

3) Do the characters you like really have a memorable personality? Are you sure their personality isn't the default?

4) Frankly, all of your examples that I've seen are good people. A lot of viewers and commenters here are either bad people or fans of bad people.
I don't understand them, I like Emiya Shirou and Saber better than Gilgamesh. In fact, Gilgamesh is an dumb ancient relic, only good for getting his ass kicked.

Now i will trying to say to you as i can.

1. Sexist ? maybe you can say that but if you count anime current nowdays when a man and a woman, fight side by side , the man is the main character, and the woman supports main protagonist him more get more mayority and popular than meanwhile anime with female is main protagonist and male support who support her not to mention he have good personality more minority and possibly rare.

3. For this what i like not only have memorable personality but also my favorite is have antihero just like Light , Ishidou Natsuo and Makoto from school days.

Note: ( Future diary is more reverse when most majority male protagonist who get more shine meanwhile female protagonist is support main protagonist more popular meanwhile Future diary is true protagonist Gasai yuno who played more plot meanwhile yuuki who is more support her )

But what really sad anime / manga with female main protagonist with male protagonist who playing support her and have good personality for example just like Akatsuki no yona other will get more minority praise .

So far the anime / manga with female main protagonist with male protagonist who support her only i see is Claymore , Tokyo esp , Mirai nikki, akatsuki no yona meanwhile mayority i watch is male protagonist who get more shine with female protagonist who support main protagonist.
Saintrider891Apr 30, 2016 2:33 AM
Apr 30, 2016 2:24 AM
Apr 2016
Saintrider891 said:
Is Saber's personality really all that different from Shirayuki? I don't think so. .

I don't know who shirayuki but i can't compare her to saber.

Saintrider891 said:
Yeah, you're the sexist

say whatever you want but mayority will Praise Saber and Rin only just because they arc cute in their rute than how to overcome challange.
Saintrider891Apr 30, 2016 2:29 AM
Apr 30, 2016 2:52 AM

Jun 2012
Saintrider891 said:
Saintrider891 said:
Nah just because Saber and Rin is cool in good fight that doen't mean in personality is good .

Is Saber's personality really all that different from Shirayuki? I don't think so.

Saintrider891 said:

Yeah, you're the sexist.

say whatever you want but mayority will Praise Saber and Rin only just because they arc cute in their rute than how to overcome challange.[/quote]

Saber/Rin are more popular in absolute terms, because their franchise is way more popular than Shirayuki's. However they are also more divisive, they have a lot more hate than Shirayuki too. You should see some of the shit people say about poor Saber, and don't even get me started on Sakura. Would you prefer Shirayuki, Balsa, ect to be more divisive? That is, have both more fans and more haters? More people love them, however more people will also insult them mercilessly. Because I have a feeling you would focus on the haters, then make a thread saying "why do people hate female leads".

Right now I could do the reverse. I could make a thread asking "why do people hate female supporting characters more than female leads", because they unquestionably have more haters. It's not the largest sample size, but lets just look through the mentioned examples:
Saber - 24:1 love/hate ratio
Tohsaka - 20:1 love/hate ratio
Sakura - Less than 3:1 love/hate ratio, poor Sakura D:
Shirayuki - 66:1 love/hate ratio,
Balsa - 213:1 love/hate ratio. She has 213 fans for every one person that dislikes her, and a few of them may have ever been trolls, like how people leave a troll dislike on unanimously loved videos.

The Fate girls have more fans in absolute terms because their franchise is far more popular, but in relative terms Shirayuki and especially Balsa are far more popular. Also you seem extremely dismissive of Saber and Rin as characters, and are clearly misrepresenting why people like them.
Apr 30, 2016 3:25 AM
Apr 2016
hydro said:
Saintrider891 said:

Yeah, you're the sexist.

say whatever you want but mayority will Praise Saber and Rin only just because they arc cute in their rute than how to overcome challange.

Saber/Rin are more popular in absolute terms, because their franchise is way more popular than Shirayuki's. However they are also more divisive, they have a lot more hate than Shirayuki too. You should see some of the shit people say about poor Saber, and don't even get me started on Sakura. Would you prefer Shirayuki, Balsa, ect to be more divisive? That is, have both more fans and more haters? More people love them, however more people will also insult them mercilessly. Because I have a feeling you would focus on the haters, then make a thread saying "why do people hate female leads".

Right now I could do the reverse. I could make a thread asking "why do people hate female supporting characters more than female leads", because they unquestionably have more haters. It's not the largest sample size, but lets just look through the mentioned examples:
Saber - 24:1 love/hate ratio
Tohsaka - 20:1 love/hate ratio
Sakura - Less than 3:1 love/hate ratio, poor Sakura D:
Shirayuki - 66:1 love/hate ratio,
Balsa - 213:1 love/hate ratio. She has 213 fans for every one person that dislikes her, and a few of them may have ever been trolls, like how people leave a troll dislike on unanimously loved videos.

The Fate girls have more fans in absolute terms because their franchise is far more popular, but in relative terms Shirayuki and especially Balsa are far more popular. Also you seem extremely dismissive of Saber and Rin as characters, and are clearly misrepresenting why people like them.[/quote]

Go on make threat just like that you reverse idea "why do people hate female supporting characters more than female leads" then see the responce some people and confrim me if you make that threat.

Also i don't know about shirayuki but after check shirayuki look like is demographic shoujo . I'm very confident she will get more minority popular compare to other female protagonist who is playing support role to main protagonist.

Reason : simple is shoujo most men will less watching diffrent from myself i'm male so i can relate to watch shoujo demographic
Saintrider891Apr 30, 2016 3:50 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Best kind of relationship in anime?

IpreferEcchi - 6 hours ago

9 by Dumb »»
2 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 3 hours ago

12 by Zarutaku »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - 9 hours ago

23 by Ricchan__ »»
5 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

161 by Adnash »»
17 minutes ago

Poll: » slut vs prude waifus

deg - Yesterday

31 by LightWorker »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.