Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 29, 2016 12:04 AM
Mar 2016
there's a lot of rednecks, generally poor rural whites in the US who hunt, listen to country and folk music, are really traditionally-minded and get drunk and fight a lot. they usually farm, or do rough labor of some kind (note, I'm basing all this off personal experience)

was always curious if there's people like this in Europe?
Apr 29, 2016 12:10 AM

Sep 2015
yes, we call them eastern europeans.

Apr 29, 2016 12:15 AM
Jul 2018
Most countries or nations have their hillbilly redneck types I'm sure
Apr 29, 2016 12:19 AM

Jan 2016
i dont think the sun is strong enough there to turn them into rednecks :p
Apr 29, 2016 12:24 AM

Jan 2015
Have you ever seen Snatch? I'm pretty sure Brad Pitt plays that stereotype.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Apr 29, 2016 12:32 AM

Sep 2014
Well Rednecks were Irish Immigrants........
Apr 29, 2016 12:34 AM
Mar 2016
bobzanny said:
lol yeah, Irish travellers fit the bill for UK
Apr 29, 2016 2:00 AM

Apr 2014
No, I don't think there is an equivalent. Europe is not a country like the US, it's hard to draw parallels between the two places.

Nigami_Shin said:
yes, we call them eastern europeans.

you sir truly are a master of comedy
your waifu is shit
Apr 29, 2016 2:45 AM

Apr 2016
As a redneck I think it is funny this is the conception people have of the south. Don't forget we all do crank and sell our inbred babies to outsiders to fuel our KKK barbecues. lol

But anyways, to answer the OP: Yes, there are rednecks (equivalents) in Europe. You can google images and see it all. :P

"Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time."
Apr 29, 2016 3:12 AM

Dec 2015
There are no real equivalents of rednecks in western Europe.
The closest in Belgium are what we call "barakis". They are poor traditionnally minded semi-rural white. They do have the reputation of being racist, ignorant, living in large inbred families, and naming their 6+ kids after 90's US sitcoms like Beverly Hills 90210 which sound incredibly stupid in French. Also, as they can't speak English, they either mispronounciate them or miswrite them (I've seen someone named Djezone instead of Jason).

However, they are not really known for being farmers who like country music and hunting, but rather for being unemployed, living off welfare and liking car-tuning and stupid reality shows.
Apr 29, 2016 3:15 AM

Sep 2009
I think they're called Peasants? Like in warcraft :3
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Apr 29, 2016 3:17 AM
Mar 2011
were the word redneck comes from i dont think the outside the us has them not that the us really has them anymore
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 29, 2016 3:26 AM

Aug 2015
While I agree it is hard to compare Europe to the USA as a country, having lived in Europe for five years now I can say that there are certainly rednecks or at least hillbilly types, at least here in Spain. I can also say that what my friends here in the EU have learned to do to make comparisons easier is to think of the US as a subset of different smaller countries, makes it much easier to see it like Europe. To an extent it is true as while we share similar culture throughout the US there are a lot of nuances that are different. Rules and regulations also differ quite a bit. While not too drastic it is like say comparing Ohio and Texas to Spain and Italy. While they are similar they do have their differences. Some of which are quite important distinctions.

Moving back to the redneck thing, here and Spain they are called "paletos" which is more like hick. Simple minded, always drinking, dressing without accordance to typical day wear (such as having jeans and shirts that are dirty with holes) and the like. They do not listen to country music but Spain's equivalent to such. Now, they typically wouldn't do things like hunt as that seems to be more of yuppie thing here as it is more expensive and a bit complicated with the situation of owning arms here. Nonetheless they are similar to what I would call a redneck back home.

I think part of the problem with making a comparison is that many people are limited in what they know of a culture by what they can see on TV and while some stereotypes are true the whole truth is not told through the media. At least I have found this to be the case in my situation. What many people have thought that I have met in Europe throughout the years is incomplete, as were my thoughts on what Europe would be like. Also is the fact that some try to make too literal of a comparison.

At least that is how I see things through what I have been witness to over the past five years.
Apr 29, 2016 4:58 AM

Dec 2015
Yarrowia said:
There are no real equivalents of rednecks in western Europe.
The closest in Belgium are what we call "barakis". They are poor traditionnally minded semi-rural white. They do have the reputation of being racist, ignorant, living in large inbred families, and naming their 6+ kids after 90's US sitcoms like Beverly Hills 90210 which sound incredibly stupid in French. Also, as they can't speak English, they either mispronounciate them or miswrite them (I've seen someone named Djezone instead of Jason).

However, they are not really known for being farmers who like country music and hunting, but rather for being unemployed, living off welfare and liking car-tuning and stupid reality shows.

I was wondering why I hadn't heard that term before. French and Dutch are nithing alike it seems.

OT: there are people like that here and Yarrowia explained how they are perfectly. Also, don't forget the younger ones usually listen to hardcore and hardstyle etc.
Apr 29, 2016 5:05 AM
Mar 2011
the term red neck comes from the poor sharecroppers of the 20cent mostly white is a classist term if i was a from the mid west or south i would dispse t be called a red neck

were it comes from is the sharecropper in hot souhtn sun swould get sun burn and red necks thusly if used rightly its akn to called a latino a spic or a black a nigger but bassed in class not race people fail t understand this
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 29, 2016 5:09 AM

Apr 2015
Sounds like 80% of the population in the East of Europe lol.
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Apr 29, 2016 5:24 AM

May 2014
Alcoholic-san said:
bobzanny said:
lol yeah, Irish travellers fit the bill for UK

Irish travellers and gypsies anywhere are as close to Rednecks as they come. Noone likes them and they like noone.
I've been here way too long...
Apr 29, 2016 5:36 AM

Feb 2015
Every country has their own word for them. In Aus they're called 'bogans'.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Apr 29, 2016 5:42 AM

Oct 2015
Britain has "chavs" who aren't like rednecks but are also arguably worse.
Apr 29, 2016 5:58 AM

Jul 2015
Yeah but as Sakuraoka noted their necks aren't red :p.

We have discounts on cheap whiskey for christian holydays in the countryside where I grew up.
Apr 29, 2016 6:22 AM

Dec 2014
I'm pretty sure every country has those types of people.
Apr 29, 2016 7:50 AM
Mar 2016
Jelmazmo said:
As a redneck I think it is funny this is the conception people have of the south. Don't forget we all do crank and sell our inbred babies to outsiders to fuel our KKK barbecues. lol
it's not just the south, there's rednecks up north too, especially around West Virginia

maybe I am one too :p
Apr 29, 2016 8:05 AM
Oct 2014
I know a few people who would fit the definition pretty well. Hunting is their biggest joy in life, and they hunt even when the season is out and there is prohibition. They make moonshine, live in small houses near the forest and hills. They don't take good care of themselves so to speak.

They don't make up any majority here however, and I live in a rural community which is fairly rich.

Apr 29, 2016 8:07 AM
Mar 2012
Like blacks, you find them everywhere you go.
Apr 29, 2016 8:20 AM
Mar 2016
Rarusu_ said:
They make moonshine,
you know what kind they make? a lot of these rural people are pretty interesting anthropology-wise
Apr 29, 2016 8:27 AM
Oct 2014
Alcoholic-san said:
Rarusu_ said:
They make moonshine,
you know what kind they make? a lot of these rural people are pretty interesting anthropology-wise
no idea actually, but I'm sure it's some kind of local recipe. I know a man who makes his own snus (a tobacco thing you put under your lip).

More topics from this board

» Do you like sport? ( 1 2 3 )

-miharu- - Mar 27, 2019

103 by Ricchan__ »»
14 seconds ago

Poll: » Too hot or too cold?

56709 - Mar 17

23 by Ricchan__ »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » school uniform or no school uniform which is better? ( 1 2 )

deg - Feb 21

83 by Ricchan__ »»
9 minutes ago

» what is "love" to you ? what makes you feel loved and how you love people ?

ame - 49 minutes ago

2 by Meusnier »»
10 minutes ago

» Are you e-famous? Are you an Internet celebrity?

DesuMaiden - Yesterday

21 by deg »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.