Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Higurashi When They Cry: Abducted by Demons Arc
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 27, 2009 6:13 AM

Dec 2008
Ew, Bugs.

Like EWWWW
Mar 27, 2009 1:35 PM

Jan 2008
I still think this arc is worse than the previous ones. It kinda goes off the track - first showing Rena's attitude to her father's actions, explaining her family background and suddenly we have a RIDICULOUS theory about parasites being the cause of the whole Hinamizawa craziness? Come on, this is stupid.

I'm very disappointed, if this is the real explanation for what was going on in the village for such a long time. Have the creators run out of ideas perhaps?

There's still two episodes left and I hope it will get better and they'll make up for this crappy arc, otherwise the score won't go past 8.
Jun 12, 2009 11:28 AM

Jan 2009
Oh shit. It's a virus!?
This explains alot, Rena's too cute~
I'd like tossing your salad.-"Yuru"/MMMKD
DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM MOTHERFUCKER?-SophieWophie<3
Jun 22, 2009 2:37 AM
Apr 2009
The first thing I thought of while watching this episode was Resident Evil 4.
Aug 8, 2009 12:18 PM

Dec 2008
Boring episode? This has a huge amount of plot that helps the anime making sense. I see no boredom here.
Sep 12, 2009 6:50 PM

Jul 2009
Bladecatcher said:
The first thing I thought of while watching this episode was Resident Evil 4.
Yeah parasitic murder viruses is way too SCI-FI =/
I rather have an actual angry god as explanation =P

Though am I right in thinking the arcs more or less got nothing to do with each other?
They all have the same hidden underline plot (which we don't know anything about) and it's slowly explained trough different stories and points of view?

Really I should not be watching these kinds of anime at 4am^^
Jan 3, 2010 4:09 AM

Aug 2009
There goes my Takano is an evil weirdo that pulls the strings of reality theory, it went straight out of the window....DX

Well , I can't wait to see how this all wraps up~
<object data=http://www.stoppedxtime.com/MAL%20Sig/HTML2.html width="470" height="140"> <embed src=http://www.stoppedxtime.com/MAL%20Sig/HTML2.html width="470" height="140"> </embed> Error: Embedded data could not be displayed. </object>
Feb 6, 2010 2:13 PM

Aug 2008
wow, i'm impressed. it's making more and more sense but i'm still a little bit confused. wasn't shion the one who recieved the notes and had almost the same conversation? or takano just spoke to both to see their points of viev . hmmm parasites so? interesting. but how Rena heard Oyashiro~sama voice, it was her imagination ?

going crazy by parasites living only in hinamizawa o-o
Apr 14, 2010 6:02 AM

Jan 2010
parasites???O.o...okaaay

this would be an interesting explanation to all of this :-)

4/5 because it was quite a boring episode anyway...
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Apr 23, 2010 8:15 AM

Feb 2010
Well I dont know what to think about that whole parasite idea...
It makes quite much sense, but I dont like it that much.
Wel we'll see if there is more behind it.
And I'm really wondering if all the arcs will make sense in the end or if they are really just separate scenarios...
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 23, 2010 8:58 AM
Apr 2008
Parasites. What the heck. I was expecting something way different.
May 21, 2010 3:26 PM
Dec 2009
I'm so confused, I feel like I'm the only one who didn't understand what Rena was saying in this episode >__<
May 23, 2010 1:42 AM

Aug 2008
ew! parasites! I'm all sorts of paranoid now. I wonder if Oishi's in on this at all. He always seems to be very close to the problem, but just out of harm's way.
Jun 13, 2010 4:31 PM

Jun 2009
parasites? lolwut?
Jun 16, 2010 2:49 PM

Aug 2009
Well this is certainly going in a peculiar direction.
Jul 2, 2010 11:19 AM

Dec 2009
Frengers said:

The scrapbook of truth... o.o

Jul 7, 2010 11:28 AM

Mar 2010
Whaaaaaaaaat???The curse is actually parasites??What kind of explanation is that?
And now what?They will make a vaccine?I really hope the end isn't dissapointing..
Jul 10, 2010 4:07 PM

Jul 2009
janeify said:
wow, i'm impressed. it's making more and more sense but i'm still a little bit confused. wasn't shion the one who recieved the notes and had almost the same conversation? or takano just spoke to both to see their points of viev . hmmm parasites so? interesting. but how Rena heard Oyashiro~sama voice, it was her imagination ?

going crazy by parasites living only in hinamizawa o-o

Well Shion didn't believe the whole curse at the first place. Making her read the scrapbook just gave her more reasons to hate Mion and the rest of the Sonozaki Estate. However, Rena truly experienced the effect of those parasites on every type of situation, she can then acknowledge Takano's theory with ease.
Jul 15, 2010 2:48 PM

Aug 2009
So the curse is just superstition after all?
I thought it was something supernatural.. like... actually a curse
Bloody maggots <- eww =S
Aug 4, 2010 12:51 AM

Dec 2008
The one thing that crossed my mind in this episode with bioterrorism is 24, and ironically, this is episode 24... but that's beside the point.

Parasites? Very interesting stuff. I remember them saying Rena had to be medicated for her behavior when she was away from Hinamizawa.

But unlike others have mentioned, I don't feel let down by this turn of events. Maybe it really is just more legend from this research Rena has been going through. This guessing and thinking is what keeps this series interesting, after all. It could totally change in the next episode, but even if it really is an ancient parasite, I still can't say I'd feel let down because I can honestly say I didn't see it coming.
Aug 23, 2010 11:58 PM

Jan 2008
Maggots? Ewww.
Sep 11, 2010 11:02 PM
Dec 2007
Hahahaha, it's funny that going through all the comments everyone went mad about the bugs yet no one seemed to question the aliens part of it. Also, it's parasites, not bugs.

Oct 20, 2010 6:32 AM

Nov 2009
Ow poor Rena scratched her wound XP that MUST have hurt!!! i mean cutting your wrist is one thing but then scratching it is another ew DX but anyway Mio did ALOT 2 write all that down... an it was nice of Rena to figure it all out for her!!! so there's a "Virus" in the swamp...???... that explains alot... and how they revived it on that night where ever1 dies from a gas leak in the swamp!!! it makes SO MUCH SEANCE!!! lol ... i cant believe Rena is getting chased by those ppl!!! i wonder what shes gonna do. . . probably kill them... idk haha but they would be kinda of annoying... always following you around going places you go... that must suck!!!
Nov 3, 2010 2:07 PM

Sep 2010
lol at the maggot scene. It was so weird that it's mildly amusing :o

whoa everything is starting to make sense. Go scientific theory!
Though what does the killings before have anything to do with this?

Nov 5, 2010 7:00 PM

Aug 2010
Wow, the story just reached a whole new level of complexity. That scrapbook explains everything, The story always resets because it never ends...
Nov 17, 2010 9:45 AM

Jul 2009
I'm a bit disappointed that it was nothing supernatural because I loved the feel of the first arc the most. Oh well, I guess it makes more sense this way.
Jan 15, 2011 4:54 PM
Mar 2010
DeathfireD said:
This would also explain why Rika tried to stab Shion with a needle as well.

Rika failed, and Shion stabbed her with the needle. Remember what happened to Rika afterwards? Thus, I don't think the needle contained any vaccine.
Feb 3, 2011 2:47 PM

Nov 2010
I watched it with a shitty resolution, so i couldn't read the scrapbook.. can anyone tell me what it said??
Feb 10, 2011 11:08 AM

Oct 2010
well this put a spin on things
Jul 8, 2011 3:08 AM
Jul 2010
I... wasn't expecting this turn of events. So it's not a drug but a parasite. But I'm happy it isn't anything supernatural. Either way, there is still a lot to be answered... Were the parasites what was inside those syringes? Then Keiichi's behavior (if they did give him the shot) in the first arc is explained but it wouldn't make sense for Rika to try to inject them onto Shion... And then there's that thing about Takano being already dead when she entered the shrine... Let's see how this turns out.
Aug 31, 2011 9:58 PM

Feb 2010
DeathfireD said:
I'm thinking the stuff they said about volcanic gas also plays a role in how the bugs started the infection and stay alive. As Rina mentioned, the bugs can only survive in there village. So I'm guessing the gas might be the cause of that.

Also I think the people "going crazy" may not necessarily be the ones going crazy. For example the first ark in the beginning of the series; Rina and Mion attack Keiichi and try and stab him with a needle while the doctor and that white van are outside the house. What if he was the one going really going crazy and they where only trying to give him a shot to kill the bugs or at least subside the crazy thoughts? This would also explain why Rika tried to stab Shion with a needle as well. Rika must have been aware that Shion was being overwhelmed by the bugs and wanted to help her. This also explains why the doctor wanted to give Keiichi a shot in his ark.

I'm only guessing but the people that kill are probably taken in to the hospital and then give a shot and forced to leave the village or are locked up somewhere in the hospital for tests on how to completely cure it.

Makes sense to me
It's not breaking in if the door is unlocked.

Sep 5, 2011 3:12 PM

Sep 2011
Now this, THIS answers so many questions. Or at least I think it answered so many questions. If this entire Shrine God curse thing was a rare type of parasite which can only thrive in Hinamizawa, then wouldn't it be safe to assume that in the previous arc, Rika was only trying to help Shion by giving her that shot? (Vaccination?) We find out that this parasite makes people deranged and crazy, and Shion really didn't live in Hinamizawa before (even if she was born there, she was moved at birth from what I remember...), so the parasite must have gotten to her somehow. The anime kind of hid this possibility with the seemingly main reason behind why Shion killed so many people: Satoshi. But perhaps the parasite was a major factor.... but I still don't really understand how Mion and Rena ended up giving Keiichi a vaccination....I don't think he killed anyone or showed any real signs of threat other than self defence training from the others with Satoshi's bat...he killed one person in Satoko's arc.
I'm surprised this became all scientific though, but I'm glad that the anime didn't just throw you any "it just happened....like magic OwO" nonsense. I'm glad it does seem to have logical reasoning around it.

EDIT: I see that someone had the same train of thought here as I do...maybe for the first time in this entire series, I'm right? Next episode!
Sep 17, 2011 12:30 PM

Jul 2011
"I'm thinking the stuff they said about volcanic gas also plays a role in how the bugs started the infection and stay alive. As Rina mentioned, the bugs can only survive in there village. So I'm guessing the gas might be the cause of that.

Also I think the people "going crazy" may not necessarily be the ones going crazy. For example the first ark in the beginning of the series; Rina and Mion attack Keiichi and try and stab him with a needle while the doctor and that white van are outside the house. What if he was the one going really going crazy and they where only trying to give him a shot to kill the bugs or at least subside the crazy thoughts? This would also explain why Rika tried to stab Shion with a needle as well. Rika must have been aware that Shion was being overwhelmed by the bugs and wanted to help her. This also explains why the doctor wanted to give Keiichi a shot in his ark.

I'm only guessing but the people that kill are probably taken in to the hospital and then give a shot and forced to leave the village or are locked up somewhere in the hospital for tests on how to completely cure it."

Well,this sounds pretty good, but even still there are some immediate problems with the theory that I see., When mion and rena tried to give keichi the shot, they said "Now, Keichi it's time for your punishment game" and the day before they gave him food with needles in it, so it didn't seem like they were trying to help him. Also, look what happened to Rika after she got injected she went insane and killed herself (perhaps Keichi too). Now to help your theory out maybe the vaccine had some of the virus inside of it (this is how many vaccines work (ex the bird flu vaccine)) and Rika then got infected. Rena and Mion also mentioned that the coach was coming for Keichi so maybe they were trying to help him, but I just don't see that being the case

I just don't think Rena is right here (or maybe I'm just hoping that). I think there is something more going on than just a parasite.
EOTWSep 17, 2011 12:35 PM
Nov 5, 2011 7:36 PM

Aug 2011
that scratching of the arm was pretty gross anyways nice detective work!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 10, 2011 2:16 PM

Oct 2011
I really enjoyed that twist, for I was worried that this series was going to end in a cheesy manner, explaining everything by using corny supernatural powers and what not. Having a virus the cause of everyone going berserk was a great addition.
Jan 15, 2012 2:25 PM

Dec 2009
I'm glad we're getting to see more of Rena's character (: she's cool.
Pretty interesting episode.
Jan 15, 2012 4:33 PM
Dec 2007
kaoriie said:
Now this, THIS answers so many questions. Or at least I think it answered so many questions. If this entire Shrine God curse thing was a rare type of parasite which can only thrive in Hinamizawa, then wouldn't it be safe to assume that in the previous arc, Rika was only trying to help Shion by giving her that shot? (Vaccination?) We find out that this parasite makes people deranged and crazy, and Shion really didn't live in Hinamizawa before (even if she was born there, she was moved at birth from what I remember...), so the parasite must have gotten to her somehow. The anime kind of hid this possibility with the seemingly main reason behind why Shion killed so many people: Satoshi. But perhaps the parasite was a major factor.... but I still don't really understand how Mion and Rena ended up giving Keiichi a vaccination....I don't think he killed anyone or showed any real signs of threat other than self defence training from the others with Satoshi's bat...he killed one person in Satoko's arc.
I'm surprised this became all scientific though, but I'm glad that the anime didn't just throw you any "it just happened....like magic OwO" nonsense. I'm glad it does seem to have logical reasoning around it.

EDIT: I see that someone had the same train of thought here as I do...maybe for the first time in this entire series, I'm right? Next episode!
There were major cuts from the Novel here. The so called "parasite" doesn't just control people, it secretes something that destroys the mind;s proper perception of reality. When a person goes into stress the parasite kicks in and suddenly people start believing whatever goes into their heads as reality and eventually go violent. Keiichi began thinking Rena was a crazy psycopath that stalked him(she wasn't in Onikakushi and she only knew things about him because she always talked a lot with Keiichi's mother and she has a crush on him) so he began imagining scenes like Rena threatening him (notice how when Rena leaves after threatening him Keiichi looks at the clock and notes that barely any time passed even though the conversation seemed longer), or her wielding the hatchet against him (she never did). The anime doesn't make it clear but the novel does.
Leon-GunJan 15, 2012 4:37 PM

Feb 29, 2012 7:54 PM

Jul 2011
DeathfireD said:
I'm thinking the stuff they said about volcanic gas also plays a role in how the bugs started the infection and stay alive. As Rina mentioned, the bugs can only survive in there village. So I'm guessing the gas might be the cause of that.

I'm only guessing but the people that kill are probably taken in to the hospital and then give a shot and forced to leave the village or are locked up somewhere in the hospital for tests on how to completely cure it.

Wow this was a great ep.

Man, i think you just nailed it.
Cant wait to see what happens though
Jun 29, 2012 10:03 AM

Jul 2010
Wow, parasites? It's brilliant how that ties everything together. I don't understand everything yet though, some parts are still foggy as to where the parasites come in. Rena is awesome! And Takano-san for figuring that out<3
Jul 10, 2012 1:06 PM

Oct 2011
Ok , the phone call between Rena and keiichi was really complicated .
so it's because of the virus in the marsh people transform to devils but why Keiichi thought that Oyachiru sama is the doctor who come from a foreign country after hearing that ?!! basicly why he was thinking about the doctor ??...
i didnt undestand this too :
"The person carrying the virus dies with the virus if he attacked someone !! ? "
Jul 12, 2012 1:07 PM

Oct 2011
Ok .. i re watched the episode with eng sub .
Parasites which came forth from Onigafuchi march make people go berserk ... but there's something strange; if infected in state of derengement had attacked normal people they would die along with parasites inside them ... only people who have been able to co-exist with parasites as one remain .... is that mean that people who have this ability didnt go berserk and they could controll themselves !!??
so now , Henamizawa people are composed both of normal people and devils .
the question is : are parasites exist in Henamizawa at this time ?
and if parasites didnt existe at this time why the tree great families are continuing to apply the law :" you must not leave the illage and .... " ???
Jul 20, 2012 12:47 PM

Jun 2012
umm anyone notice how ooishi and rena talking in the car was the same as keiichi in episode 1? when he is called and taken to the car and the same diolougue happens...also rena is being pursued by the white van and in the 1st epi it was keiichi feeling he was followed....hmmmm
Jul 20, 2012 2:31 PM

May 2012
felo said:
omg, this feels like resident evil.
this changes everything from the past ep's

LOL, I didn't even think of RE, but you're right!
Jul 20, 2012 3:11 PM
Dec 2007
_retro_reactive said:
umm anyone notice how ooishi and rena talking in the car was the same as keiichi in episode 1? when he is called and taken to the car and the same diolougue happens...also rena is being pursued by the white van and in the 1st epi it was keiichi feeling he was followed....hmmmm
It's intentional. This is supposed to be the "Answer arc" to the first arc, but with Rena as the "crazy deranged person" rather than Keiichi. So the situations are similar at some points but with changes. The main point that has to be similar is that in both cases Keiichi or Rena believe there's a conspiracy by someone, and start coming up with more and more crazy ideas.

Aug 11, 2012 10:56 AM

Nov 2011
Hmm...things are starting to become more clear now.
Jan 2, 2013 11:08 AM

Dec 2012
I think Keiichi is the first arc is the one going mad with all his twisted visions. I think he was consumed by the parasites and became more and more paranoid. Mion and Rena was trying to help him with the vaccine but he killed them instead.
Feb 9, 2013 5:25 PM

May 2012
dvl_ said:
I still think this arc is worse than the previous ones. It kinda goes off the track - first showing Rena's attitude to her father's actions, explaining her family background and suddenly we have a RIDICULOUS theory about parasites being the cause of the whole Hinamizawa craziness? Come on, this is stupid.

I'm very disappointed, if this is the real explanation for what was going on in the village for such a long time. Have the creators run out of ideas perhaps?

There's still two episodes left and I hope it will get better and they'll make up for this crappy arc, otherwise the score won't go past 8.

There was nothing ridiculous about the parasites, it makes complete sense and matches the rest of the show if you ask me, completely logical.
Feb 9, 2013 5:29 PM

May 2012
loub31 said:
Ok , the phone call between Rena and keiichi was really complicated .
so it's because of the virus in the marsh people transform to devils but why Keiichi thought that Oyachiru sama is the doctor who come from a foreign country after hearing that ?!! basicly why he was thinking about the doctor ??...
i didnt undestand this too :
"The person carrying the virus dies with the virus if he attacked someone !! ? "

If they try to leave they die
ThangLong said:
I think Keiichi is the first arc is the one going mad with all his twisted visions. I think he was consumed by the parasites and became more and more paranoid. Mion and Rena was trying to help him with the vaccine but he killed them instead.

Still doesen't explain the needle in the food though, and i highly doubt they knew about the parasites otherwise they would have said something sooner.
Feb 20, 2013 10:38 PM

Sep 2012
Those van people. Eh I'm too tired to even think of what I'm typing in her. Good episode though.
Apr 21, 2013 3:02 AM
Aug 2011
Go to the police, damn it!

Also, I think volcanic gas explosion was someone's doing to finish the parasite infection, not something that started it.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tekky99 - Mar 14, 2008

268 by walgreenscanada »»
Apr 13, 9:49 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 16, 2008

171 by Extremo888 »»
Mar 27, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 17, 2008

210 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Mar 21, 12:08 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 16, 2008

142 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Mar 21, 9:56 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Voltlighter - Dec 28, 2007

148 by Ratris_Decision »»
Feb 4, 12:14 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.