Forum Settings
Forums

Why do anime fans dislike Isao Takahata's films?

New
Apr 27, 2016 8:20 PM
Apr 2016
Why is it that most of Isao Takahata's films (namely Only Yesterday, Pom Poko, and My Neighbors the Yamadas) are so poorly rated on this website, while the films of other famous anime dirctors such as Hayao Miyazaki and Satoshi Kon have very high ratings?

I find it odd because among general movie fans and movie critics, Isao Takahata's films are rated much more highly compared to the works of other anime directors.

For example, if you look at the ratings of Ghibli films on IMDb vs MyAnimeList, nearly every Ghibli movie has a significantly higher rating on this site, except for Isao Takahata's films which have about the same rating. Satoshi Kon's films also have significantly higher ratings on this site than on IMDb.

Even Tales from Earthsea, which is considered by most people to be the weakest Ghibli film by far, is barely ranked lower than Pom Poko and Yamadas on this site.

So I'm just curious why this might be? Are Takahata's films too unconventional for most anime fans?
Apr 27, 2016 9:13 PM

Feb 2016
1º Don't believe the hype....

2º Haven't you seen ''Kaguya-hime no Monogatari'' ? The movie is a piece of art, really a masterpiece, anyone who say the opposite is just a hater.....
''Ask not the Sparrow, how the Eagle soars'' - Kiryūin Satsuki
Apr 27, 2016 9:14 PM
Mar 2011
msteve60 said:
Why is it that most of Isao Takahata's films (namely Only Yesterday, Pom Poko, and My Neighbors the Yamadas) are so poorly rated on this website, while the films of other famous anime dirctors such as Hayao Miyazaki and Satoshi Kon have very high ratings?

I find it odd because among general movie fans and movie critics, Isao Takahata's films are rated much more highly compared to the works of other anime directors.

For example, if you look at the ratings of Ghibli films on IMDb vs MyAnimeList, nearly every Ghibli movie has a significantly higher rating on this site, except for Isao Takahata's films which have about the same rating. Satoshi Kon's films also have significantly higher ratings on this site than on IMDb.

Even Tales from Earthsea, which is considered by most people to be the weakest Ghibli film by far, is barely ranked lower than Pom Poko and Yamadas on this site.

So I'm just curious why this might be? Are Takahata's films too unconventional for most anime fans?

Even Tales from Earthsea is not a takahata movie
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 27, 2016 9:23 PM

Feb 2010
Takahata movies just have less mainstream access especially here in the west. That means less people rating it on 8-10 scales which makes the scores closer to 'real' scores compared to stuff with hundreds of thousands of casual viewers. Which is probably why his movies are rated similarly as on imdb while others are rated higher.

I'd say the anime community just largely ignores his movies compared to other directors, but most people who know about him actually have a good opinion of him in my experience.

Personally I love his movies, he's made some of my favorites and the amount of variety in his storytelling, characters, visuals and concepts is always refreshing and makes him the more interesting director compared to Miyazaki as far as I'm concerned, even though I also love the latter.
AlcoholicideApr 27, 2016 9:28 PM
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 28, 2016 6:02 AM

Oct 2011
Because any Ghibli movie not directed by Miyazaki is automatically bad?

Nah, just look at Grave of the Fireflies or The Tale of Princess Kaguya
Apr 28, 2016 6:22 AM
Jun 2015
They have less mainstream appeal and some of them were not localized to the west. Only Yesterday for example just got a dub.
Apr 28, 2016 5:13 PM
Apr 2016
DateYutaka said:
msteve60 said:

Even Tales from Earthsea is not a takahata movie

I am aware of that and I never claimed that it was a Takahata movie.
Apr 28, 2016 5:26 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Well, Pom Poko and The Yamada's are indeed pretty unconventional, so they could have less mainstream appeal (though none of the are "poorly rated"). If you look at Grave of the Fireflies and Kaguya-hime, they have higher ratings than Satoshi Kon's movies and some Miyazaki movies too.
Apr 28, 2016 5:27 PM

Jul 2011
I can't dislike his films if i don't know in what he was involved.
Apr 28, 2016 5:30 PM

Oct 2010
Basically what people already said, his themes and obsessions often play with rooted social and cultural elements and diverge from Western appeal. Many things of Pom Poko are hard to fully understand if you don't have a base knowledge. Only yesterday and My neighbors the Yamadas are common slice of life stories except they take advantage of an environment, a set of events and cultural influences and etc. that are very unequivocally Japanese.

His works are not really underrated. They are underwatched if anything, for the reasons stated above.

And now let's stop pretending and turn this thread into what it should be: an appreciation thread for Chie the brat. You know you want it.
Apr 28, 2016 5:32 PM
Mar 2011
jal90 said:
Basically what people already said, his themes and obsessions often play with rooted social and cultural elements and diverge from Western appeal. Many things of Pom Poko are hard to fully understand if you don't have a base knowledge. Only yesterday and My neighbors the Yamadas are common slice of life stories except they take advantage of an environment, a set of events and cultural influences and etc. that are very unequivocally Japanese.

His works are not really underrated. They are underwatched if anything, for the reasons stated above.

And now let's stop pretending and turn this thread into what it should be: an appreciation thread for Chie the brat. You know you want it.

i loved jariko chie alot its one of the best
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 28, 2016 6:11 PM

Dec 2012
I am not even a huge fan of Ghibli stuff in general, not just Takahata. There are really only a select few stand out movies that I really enjoyed, and a whole lot of mediocrity. I do generally watch most of them though, since they usually come to a theater in my state, and it's awesome to see anime in a theater even if it's a mediocre movie.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 28, 2016 6:34 PM

Nov 2015
Kruszer said:
even if it's a mediocre movie.

I may be overdoing it by even responding, but "mediocre"? Ghibli are some of the highest production in the business, that's why they are making it to the theatre. Maybe not quite your taste is a better way to say it.
Apr 28, 2016 7:05 PM

Mar 2012
I watched Only Yesterday a little while ago and I'm very glad that I did. A masterful example of slice of life.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Apr 28, 2016 11:23 PM

Oct 2010
DateYutaka said:
jal90 said:

i loved jariko chie alot its one of the best

Yep! And for such an early film of him, it is a strong codifier of what later became his themes and his seal as an author in Ghibli. I can totally see Chie as an inspiration for child Taeko, and the depiction of the city, and the theme of childhood delusions vs reality all match Only yesterday very well. The fragmented narrative style is totally My neighbors the Yamadas and the whole animal testicle subplot -what a weird obsession this guy has- reminded me of Pom Poko quite a lot xD. A strange and weirdly paced movie but also very effective, hilarious and incredibly sad/disturbing at the same time.

Of course, I'm talking about the movie here, not the series which I expect to be equally great.
Apr 28, 2016 11:41 PM

Jan 2016
I've always felt Takahata is better than Miyazaki.
Apr 28, 2016 11:47 PM

Jul 2012
msteve60 said:
Are Takahata's films too unconventional for most anime fans?
You just answered your own question LOL

I'm personally a fan but I can see why it's not appealing to mainstream fans. It's like Josei Anime. Doesn't really appeal to people who want to watch Anime for the entertainment.

roundbeats said:
Kruszer said:

I may be overdoing it by even responding, but "mediocre"? Ghibli are some of the highest production in the business, that's why they are making it to the theatre. Maybe not quite your taste is a better way to say it.
More like, Ghibli appeals to general audience the best. It's usually fantasy... like Disney. Uses stuff like magic and supernatural to tell its stories.
I also would say a lot of Ghibli films are subpar/mediocre, especially compared to movies that never make it to theaters and are only mentioned by Anime fans (Perfect Blue for example)
Apr 28, 2016 11:58 PM
Apr 2016
Mayuka said:

I also would say a lot of Ghibli films are subpar/mediocre, especially compared to movies that never make it to theaters and are only mentioned by Anime fans (Perfect Blue for example)

Perfect Blue is more famous in the US than most of Takahata's films. It also has a much higher rating on this site than most of Takahata's films.
Apr 29, 2016 12:11 AM

Oct 2014
I haven't seen anything from him. I don't really watch many anime movies because of the way I like to watch anime. I like to watch episode by episode rather than having to find the time to watch anime 2 hours straight. I technically could pace watching a movie over the course of a day, but it feels weird.
Apr 29, 2016 1:05 AM

Jun 2013
takahata's great. his movies just dont find the popularity miyazaki movies get outside japan.
Imagine a berserk anime by Yoshiaki kawajiri at Madhouse.

Now take a look at Berserk (2016).

YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO CRY.
Apr 29, 2016 2:17 AM

Jan 2008
Because they are usually very slow and very preachy. That makes them pretty boring in my opinion.
Apr 29, 2016 2:38 AM
Jul 2018
I've always thought Takahata was on par with Miyazaki if not better because I find his films to be more unique and interesting, whereas Miyazaki's films have beautiful art direction, but, story-wise, all feel a bit same-y.
Apr 29, 2016 3:11 AM

Jan 2016
Josh said:
I watched Only Yesterday a little while ago and I'm very glad that I did. A masterful example of slice of life.

^

It's really underrated on Mal though.
Apr 29, 2016 6:33 AM

Mar 2012
I love Grave of the Fireflies and Princess Kaguya but I wouldn't call either of them underrated. I mean, Princess Kaguya has a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Not many people have seen The Yamadas (Me included) so I'm guessing the low viewer count is to blame for the wonky stats.
SeibaaHomuApr 29, 2016 6:37 AM
Apr 29, 2016 8:09 AM

Jul 2015
Personally I don't hate his films... I used to love pom poko. I'm not jumping to any conclusions and don't quote me on this but I guess some people might just be like "Oh look it's not directed by Miyazaki, let's scrape through every detail" Or something.

Meh idrk but I like his works so I don't really care what others think =3
Apr 29, 2016 8:32 AM

Nov 2015
Mayuka said:
msteve60 said:
Are Takahata's films too unconventional for most anime fans?
You just answered your own question LOL

I'm personally a fan but I can see why it's not appealing to mainstream fans. It's like Josei Anime. Doesn't really appeal to people who want to watch Anime for the entertainment.

roundbeats said:

More like, Ghibli appeals to general audience the best. It's usually fantasy... like Disney. Uses stuff like magic and supernatural to tell its stories.

Isn't the point of this thread that Takahata's movies don't appeal to as a wide an audience? Many Ghibli films don't use much fantasy at all, just the most popular ones (i.e. princess mononoke, spirited away, howl's moving castle). Only Yesterday, Grave of the Fireflies, and My Neighbors the Yamadas, are all purely dramas. Miyazaki and Takahata are pioneers of animation, I have no idea where this Ghibli is another Disney idea came from (because Disney helped with western localization I suspect). As far as Miyazaki's movies go, because something has widespread approval doesn't mean it is necessarily bad (that's just bad nerd logic).
roundbeatsApr 29, 2016 8:47 AM
Apr 29, 2016 10:21 AM

Oct 2010
Mayuka said:

That's an... interesting comparison to say the least. Being a fantasy and appealing to a general audience doesn't make a movie Disney, nor makes it like Disney.

Other than that there may be other reasons for Perfect Blue not being popular instead of the "subpar/mediocre" Ghiblies. Maybe because it's a risqué psychothriller that can only be sold to an adult audience and features a lot of nudity and disturbing imagery.
Apr 29, 2016 11:21 AM
Apr 2016
SeibaaHomu said:
I love Grave of the Fireflies and Princess Kaguya but I wouldn't call either of them underrated. I mean, Princess Kaguya has a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Yeah that's what I meant when I said that movie critics love his movies (Only Yesterday also has 100% on Rotten Tomatoes). It's on MAL that his films have significantly lower ratings compared to other Ghibli films.

For example, on IMDb, Only Yesterday has a 7.7, Howl's Moving Castle has an 8.2, and Tales from Earthsea has a 6.5. But on MAL, Only Yesterday has a 7.65, Howl's Moving Castle has an 8.74, and Tales from Earthsea has a 7.20.
Apr 29, 2016 11:51 AM
Aug 2015
msteve60 said:

Miyazaki's films are generally better. I've only seen Takahata's Grave of the Fireflies and Kaguya, so I can't really be that judgmental. Kaguya is a great piece of work. Grave of the Fireflies was too depressing for me to even give it a proper rating.
Apr 29, 2016 11:54 AM
Aug 2015
msteve60 said:
SeibaaHomu said:

Yeah that's what I meant when I said that movie critics love his movies (Only Yesterday also has 100% on Rotten Tomatoes). It's on MAL that his films have significantly lower ratings compared to other Ghibli films.

For example, on IMDb, Only Yesterday has a 7.7, Howl's Moving Castle has an 8.2, and Tales from Earthsea has a 6.5. But on MAL, Only Yesterday has a 7.65, Howl's Moving Castle has an 8.74, and Tales from Earthsea has a 7.20.

imdb users prioritize live-action films and think of animation as inferior, which is why the highest rated animated film is only ranked at number 29. Still, really impressive, considering the fact that the film is an anime.
Apr 29, 2016 12:12 PM
Apr 2016
On_the_Lam said:
msteve60 said:

imdb users prioritize live-action films and think of animation as inferior, which is why the highest rated animated film is only ranked at number 29. Still, really impressive, considering the fact that the film is an anime.

That's an interesting point but still doesn't explain why Only Yesterday's rating is lower on MAL than on IMDb, while the opposite is true for nearly every other anime movie.
Apr 29, 2016 12:25 PM
Aug 2015
msteve60 said:
On_the_Lam said:

That's an interesting point but still doesn't explain why Only Yesterday's rating is lower on MAL than on IMDb, while the opposite is true for nearly every other anime movie.

Haven't watched the film myself, but if it's good I can only assume the wrong people on this site watched it. Besides, not many have rated it, so I guess that's also a possible reason.

This is maybe out of topic, but it has been bothering me for a long time. For a studio as popular as Ghibli in the West, it's kind of odd that they didn't make more money from their films. The only films that did decently in the box office, compared to western animation at least, were Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle, which pisses me off because the Minions film made over a billion dollars and When Marnie Was There, Ghibli's last film (ever?), barely made 34 million.
Apr 29, 2016 6:10 PM

Dec 2012
roundbeats said:
Kruszer said:

Maybe, maybe not, but it seems we use very different things to judge the quality of something though. Also, lets be honest here, the only thing that puts any anime in theaters here in the US, Ghibli movie or otherwise, is someone local with enough money to throw around to make it happen. Basically nowadays that's either GKids, Funimation, or VIZ.
KruszerApr 29, 2016 6:22 PM
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 29, 2016 7:15 PM

Oct 2015
Because Miyazaki's are more popular.

Grave of the Fireflies is decently well know as far as anime movies though, I do generally like Miyazaki's movies better though.

I loved Pom Poko
I liked The Tale of Princess Kaguya
I though Only Yesterday was ok.
I didn't like My Neighbors the Yamadas.

I haven't seen Grave of the Fireflies yet, interestingly I'm planning to watch it this weekend.
Apr 29, 2016 8:02 PM

Jul 2012
msteve60 said:
Mayuka said:

Perfect Blue is more famous in the US than most of Takahata's films. It also has a much higher rating on this site than most of Takahata's films.
Not compared to the popular Ghiblis though

jal90 said:
Mayuka said:

That's an... interesting comparison to say the least. Being a fantasy and appealing to a general audience doesn't make a movie Disney, nor makes it like Disney.

Other than that there may be other reasons for Perfect Blue not being popular instead of the "subpar/mediocre" Ghiblies. Maybe because it's a risqué psychothriller that can only be sold to an adult audience and features a lot of nudity and disturbing imagery.
Disney is like fairytales for children and the most popular Ghibli films are pretty much the same thing.

And that's the thing, Ghibli is safe for work. Most Anime movies aren't and that's why they're less popular and not as well known.
Apr 29, 2016 8:41 PM

Jan 2012
To be fair, I wasn't entirely sure who that was. As for his movies... I mean the stories are probably pretty good but... I find it hard to enjoy anime pre-2006 if I hadn't already seen it.
Apr 29, 2016 9:10 PM

Nov 2015
Kruszer said:
roundbeats said:

Maybe, maybe not, but it seems we use very different things to judge the quality of something though. Also, lets be honest here, the only thing that puts any anime in theaters here in the US, Ghibli movie or otherwise, is someone local with enough money to throw around to make it happen. Basically nowadays that's either GKids, Funimation, or VIZ.

Disney d
Kruszer said:

roundbeats said:

Many Ghibli movies aren't especially palatable for non-critics or those not in animation or the arts (take a look at rotten tomatoes). They fair OK at the box office in the west, I was saying the reason they are even making it to there is because they are some of the highest production in the business, their budgets are bigger and they have tons of seasoned veterans. Mediocre is just a word that shouldn't be in the same sentence with most Ghibli work, barring maybe Ocean Waves and Gedo Senko which I would still pit up against a majority (50%+) of anime anyway.
roundbeatsApr 29, 2016 9:14 PM
Apr 29, 2016 10:43 PM

Dec 2012
Well we'll have to just agree to disagree on that.
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 30, 2016 8:16 AM

Nov 2015
Kruszer said:

Yes, you and most educated movie and anime critics.
Apr 30, 2016 10:30 PM

Dec 2012
roundbeats said:
Kruszer said:

Yes, you and most educated movie and anime critics.

I'm totally cool with that, actually. I Don't want to be associated with them. I'm just an anime fan for fun.
KruszerApr 30, 2016 10:42 PM
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 30, 2016 10:42 PM

Nov 2014
I don't know who the guy is, nor do I care.

Apr 30, 2016 11:34 PM
Jul 2018
Its not just his movies that are underrated & underwatched its his series as well, he directed 3 classic series from the World Masterpiece Theater: Akage no Anne, 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother, Heidi: Girl of the Alps.

All of these above mentioned series are masterpiece tier anime, yet they are almost unheard of by modern anime fans. Fans nowadays don't care about these classics, they just want their beautifully animated anime rather than anime that tells a great story. The WMT is by far the homage series for many classic anime, where most of the great directors such as Takahata were involved.

Also, Takahata's movies are always drama oriented which gives them sort of a dry presentation, thus making it seem boring for anyone who's in it for a more active watch.
May 1, 2016 2:56 AM

Dec 2015
Until know I did not even know the name Isao Takahata. But then again I usually don't watch movies (and even OVAs I only barely watch). I prefer full series with more episodes. Don't even like most of the ghibli movies.

I put the 1st "Only Yesterday" in the search. Doesn't seem to me like it is poorly rated. It is above 7.5. Yes it is not super-high like 8 or 9. But Considerning that 8.5 is already like top 100 or top 50 of the showas here on MAL between 7.5 and 8.5 it is already a good rating.

Between 7.0 and 7.5 average. Lower than 7.0 (or lower than 6.5) is bad.
May 1, 2016 4:18 PM

Jun 2015
Grave of the fireflies was a masterpiece and Akage no Anne is a hidden beautiful gem.

Also stop taking scores so seriously, for the most part they're superficial and completely subjective.
TheMaster100May 1, 2016 4:24 PM
May 1, 2016 7:32 PM

Sep 2015
I always love Takahata's approach on the story and storytelling, I have watched almost all of his movies when he was joined Studio Ghibli and all of them are likable. Gotta say it is Only Yesterday to be more specific, the epitome of slice of life and drama. The best anime in that category out there so far for me and I am glad that I watched it.

I am still planning to watch all of anime from World Masterpiece Theater, including all of the series which is directed by him.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
May 1, 2016 8:47 PM

Jul 2015
Different strokes for different folks, thats what I say.

I saw his movie Grave of the Fireflies the other day. A masterpiece that drove me to tears.

More topics from this board

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Yesterday

19 by LenRea »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 10 hours ago

23 by LenRea »»
5 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

60 by Noelle43 »»
34 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Yesterday

63 by Noelle43 »»
36 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

72 by Noelle43 »»
38 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.