Forum Settings
Forums

Youtube is bringing unskippable ads in May

New
Apr 27, 2016 6:33 PM

Nov 2008
http://bgr.com/2016/04/26/youtube-unskippable-bumper-ads/

Horrible, ads are annoying and bring malware, worms, trojans, ransomware, rootkits, and other nasties. Reconsider your actions Youtube.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Apr 27, 2016 6:35 PM

Jan 2009
im just glad that kind of ads are only for mobile right now but it may come to desktop too sooner or later
Apr 27, 2016 6:36 PM

Apr 2014
I mean, I'm not usually one to boast this, but doesn't Adblock handle this? Or is this mostly a mobile thing?

If this affects devices beyond mobile, you can bet more people will start to use Adblock in retaliation.
Apr 27, 2016 6:41 PM

Jul 2015
support alternatives to youtube
Apr 27, 2016 6:43 PM

Jan 2009
Protaku said:
I mean, I'm not usually one to boast this, but doesn't Adblock handle this? Or is this mostly a mobile thing?

If this affects devices beyond mobile, you can bet more people will start to use Adblock in retaliation.

its for mobile for now, and you cannot use ad blockers on mobile afaik as long as you do not root the mobile device and use an effective mobile ad blocker like AdAway
Apr 27, 2016 6:57 PM

Oct 2015
There only going to be 6 seconds so I don't care.
Apr 27, 2016 10:28 PM

Apr 2015
ADBLOCK..... my best buddy....

Such tyranny.... YT officials can die.
#CHEXIT
Apr 27, 2016 10:33 PM

Jan 2009
MattKitsune96 said:
There only going to be 6 seconds so I don't care.

ye but what if you check the "Loop" option on a youtube video to automatically repeat it and see the ads are automatically repeated too? isnt that gonna be annoying?
Apr 27, 2016 10:35 PM
Mar 2008
No usage for Ad-Blocker anymore? So what? Its only 6 seconds, who cares.
Apr 27, 2016 11:14 PM
Jul 2018
HAHAHAHAHA ADBLOCK BETTER FIND A WAY TO BLOCK THESE ABOMINATIONS
Apr 27, 2016 11:23 PM

Dec 2015
theres been unskippable ads for years tho
Apr 27, 2016 11:28 PM

Apr 2010
Stupid and greedy </3
Apr 27, 2016 11:43 PM

Mar 2008
I dont get ads sooo...

@j0x
Mobile firefix and mobile chrome can use adons normal browsers can. I used it just fine before. You dont need rooting or any of that shit. That does not block it from the app though.
Apr 27, 2016 11:50 PM

Jan 2009
traed said:

@j0x
Mobile firefix and mobile chrome can use adons normal browsers can. I used it just fine before. You dont need rooting or any of that shit. That does not block it from the app though.

i see, i do not have a smartphone especially android phones so im only relying on news that i read, and i remember reading news that adblockers like AdBlockPlus are now banned from Google Play, but the workaround is that AdBlockPlus release a AdBlock Internet Browser on the Google Play

and ye thats the problem if you do not root your Android Phone the AdBlocking will not be effective on Apps installed but if you root your device and use AdAway even the ads on Apps will be gone too i heard

but rooting your Android Phone will make it lose its warranty though if its still under it
Apr 28, 2016 3:50 AM

Feb 2013
Hoppy said:

Horrible, ads are annoying and bring malware, worms, trojans, ransomware, rootkits, and other nasties. Reconsider your actions Youtube.

They make free sites money unless you wanna pay to every site you go to.
Apr 28, 2016 3:56 AM

Jun 2008
Thank god for ad blocker...
Apr 28, 2016 4:34 AM

Mar 2016
From time to time , a wild 30 sec ads that cannot be skipped appears to me >..< , btw rip mobile users c:
Apr 28, 2016 5:14 AM

Jul 2014
Wasn't there already several unspipppable ads?
Wecc said:
All hail HaXXspetten king of the loli traps!
Apr 28, 2016 5:24 AM

Apr 2011
j0x said:
traed said:

@j0x

i see, i do not have a smartphone especially android phones so im only relying on news that i read, and i remember reading news that adblockers like AdBlockPlus are now banned from Google Play, but the workaround is that AdBlockPlus release a AdBlock Internet Browser on the Google Play

and ye thats the problem if you do not root your Android Phone the AdBlocking will not be effective on Apps installed but if you root your device and use AdAway even the ads on Apps will be gone too i heard

but rooting your Android Phone will make it lose its warranty though if its still under it

you can download adblockplus directly from their website
Apr 28, 2016 5:34 AM

Jan 2015
I trust Ublock will update if need be but I haven't had any with it problems yet, or I just won't watch youtube until it's sorted. adblock plus makes too many exceptions. Bunch of fucking shills.
Apr 28, 2016 5:46 AM

Sep 2015
Praise adblock TT~TT
Apr 28, 2016 5:49 AM

Jun 2015
Great. More reason to use adblock.
Apr 28, 2016 6:01 AM

Mar 2014
OH FUCK YOU YOUTUBE

I hope Adblock will find a way around this
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 28, 2016 8:21 AM

Nov 2015
Don't worry. The nerds will find a way to skip these and the world will keep spinning.

(Also technically this is how people get money from YouTube so maybe we should support certain creators by watching them?.... idk... I'm not trying to sit through ads though I just like playing devil's advocate)
Apr 28, 2016 8:28 AM

Feb 2016
Meh, hopefully it'll just get patched (adblocks) soon enough.

I've noticed recently, even with my YouTube AdAway (whatever it's called, been awhile) that once or twice I got a ad out of random.

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
Apr 28, 2016 8:31 AM

Feb 2013
Fuck off, Youtube. I hope it can be adblocked though... Because damn.

Apr 28, 2016 8:37 AM

Sep 2009
Hoppy said:

I've never been able to get ad blockers to work on Youtube (not sure why) and so I usually sit through advertisements. I can safely say that I have never had problems with any of the things you mentioned because of Youtube advertisements. Considering the way Youtube ads work, I do not think it would even be possible for someone to include any of those things since they appear as videos.

Protaku said:

Here's an alternative proposition- boycott companies which use the unskippable advertising format. Contact them and let them know how annoying it is and because of that, you will resort to buying from a competitor.

I much prefer advertisements which are straight to the point. Many of them let you know about the product before you even can skip, and 5 seconds isn't that long to wait. Plus, if an advertisement is interesting I will usually sit through it even if I can skip. The only consequence I can see is being forced to sit through advertisements for products I don't care about or have no interest in.

I'm sorry Tampax, but no matter how exciting your advertisement is, I'm never going to buy your tampons.

Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Apr 28, 2016 8:47 AM

Sep 2013
As people abandon television and watch only what they choose, companies are trying to weasel in and have their way with us again. They're ruthless. Skippable adds were annoying but bearable. I understand they need to advertise, but surely there are less intrusive methods.
Apr 28, 2016 10:48 AM

Jan 2012
FahtahSensei said:
I trust Ublock will update if need be but I haven't had any with it problems yet, or I just won't watch youtube until it's sorted. adblock plus makes too many exceptions. Bunch of fucking shills.

same here but i am using ubloclk origin , ublock is outdated .

ot: as expected of some greedy Jews

It is NOT anti-Semitic to point out that the Jewish control over the internet is all pervasive.

Here is a list of some internet companies owned/controlled by Jews.

Google, (acquired YouTube in 2006) …owners Sergei Brin and Larry Page

Facebook ………..owner Mark Zuckerberg (Pictured just below)

Wikipedia……….. owners James Wales and Larry Sanger

Yahoo ………… owner Terry Semel

lol more money to their wars and plans.

Apr 28, 2016 11:03 AM

Nov 2011
at one point, ads were also unskippable on Chrome, but Google claimed it was a "bug"
something tells me that the "bug" will appear again on Chrome.

AnnoKano said:

Here's an alternative proposition- boycott companies which use the unskippable advertising format. Contact them and let them know how annoying it is and because of that, you will resort to buying from a competitor.

good luck boycotting Google. that includes: stop using Google web services, Google maps, don't buy Google products (androids), etc, etc.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Apr 28, 2016 11:38 AM

Sep 2009
DreamingBeats said:

AnnoKano said:

good luck boycotting Google. that includes: stop using Google web services, Google maps, don't buy Google products (androids), etc, etc.

I was not suggesting that people boycott Google, I suggest that people boycott companies which use the unskippable advertising format. So you would not stop using Google, you would stop buying cars made by Ford, or Grammarly, or whatever companies start paying for unskippable advertisements.

I would have thought that the part about Tampax would have made it clear that I was talking about companies who advertise using Google, not Google itself...
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Apr 29, 2016 8:03 AM

Jan 2015
AllenVonStein said:
FahtahSensei said:

same here but i am using ubloclk origin , ublock is outdated .

ot: as expected of some greedy Jews

It is NOT anti-Semitic to point out that the Jewish control over the internet is all pervasive.

Here is a list of some internet companies owned/controlled by Jews.

Google, (acquired YouTube in 2006) …owners Sergei Brin and Larry Page

Facebook ………..owner Mark Zuckerberg (Pictured just below)

Wikipedia……….. owners James Wales and Larry Sanger

Yahoo ………… owner Terry Semel

lol more money to their wars and plans.

Also Paypal, Gawker (obvs), Ebay (to some degree), Last.fm (nearly dead tho), My Space (I know who cares anymore right), Even partly Vkontake / Mail.RU. I'm sure the list is endless.
Apr 29, 2016 8:07 AM

Jul 2015
This gave me cancer ->

“We like to think of Bumper ads as little haikus of video ads – and we’re excited to see what the creative community will do with them,”

"Creative community" "haiku" ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? DO YOU THINK I'M RETARDED ENOUGH TO SWALLOW THAT BULLSHIT?
Apr 29, 2016 9:02 AM

Apr 2011
I don't see how they can make 100% unskipable ads without literally adding them inside the video.
Apr 29, 2016 9:19 AM

Jun 2013
I anyway use adblock. And there are adblockers that you can install on devices without rooting it.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.