Forum Settings
Forums

Most Overrated/Underrated Anime Discussion Thread v.5

New
Pages (85) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 26, 2016 4:30 AM

Nov 2012
houkago no pleiades is underrated. even back when it aired barely anyone cared about it, which is sad because imo it's one of the best magical girl series of the past few years (not like there's much competition, but still). the fact that most of the magic action happened in space/on different planets was an interesting take on the genre and the concept of different timelines was used in an interesting way too. the main characters all got focus in their respective episodes which i loved, and its romance was great too.
Apr 26, 2016 4:33 AM

Apr 2015
Gabagool said:
Overrated

Shiki: This show has an 8.02 on this site right now and it's probably the worst show I've ever watched. Ridiculously boring, art is ugly af, music stinks, no character development and worst of all is that the characters do dumb shit all the time. I hate this show with a passion so I'm trying to contain myself lol an 8 is WAAAAAAAAAAY too high for this garbage.

I give Shiki 10/10. It's the best vampire anime IMO. and it succeeds bringing bunch of casts with development using the "Before turning to undead>after turning to undead." method, although one can argue that Sunako is the most well written among the story. And it's not boring too IMO, because it can keep the creepy atmosphere during it's slow paced start.

and lol just see your list and found that you like SSY. Shiki is way too similar with SSY. Check on my reccommendations to see their similarities.
Apr 26, 2016 4:40 AM

Mar 2015
Gabagool said:
Underrated

K-On!: On this site it has a 7.88 which isn't bad but just by talking to people it seems like most just don't get it. This show is so much more than "cute girls doing cute things" or "moe blobs with a quirky hobby." Really is a great show with great character development that hits on all aspects. You will laugh... you will cry. When you look back on the show you will realize just how much the characters have grown and why it is so special.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Second Season: Everybody hates on the Endless 8 and it's obvious why. In it's premise it's just the same episode 8 times shot in slightly different ways and with very little changes otherwise. So why is it underrated? Because this is a great setup to the movie and also a pretty original idea in general. Without delving too far into spoiler territory let's just say that watching those episodes really put you into the mindset of what Yuki must have been feeling like on a minor scale. Not too many shows really mess with your brain in this sense lol. I also feel like it is just important to go through it just to say you did it... idk... maybe that's just me lol

i disagree with both of them.

k-on sure have more than CGDCT, but doesnt change the fact that it's not that special either.. if anything, i would prefer azumanga daioh anytime...

also if anything, second season is contradict to movie....
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 26, 2016 4:43 AM

Jan 2011
NeoAnkara said:
Rokujouma no Shinryakusha is massively underrated. There are literally no harem that can even compare to it. How it integrate all character and connect it to one another is simply amazing without making any of them stand out more than other. Even in the arc that focus on one girl the other also developed nicely. The multiversal plot along with complex character backstory add the spice to the series. But the most important thing of all is that this is the most loving and sweet harem that I've ever encountered. Too bad really that the anime ended literally when the question that have been build up through the series about to be answered.
I remember finding, I think it was the second episode, very promising. It was great fun seeing all these characters sabotage each other throughout the day in an attempt to win the room. I felt it was too bad that after that it became a lot more of a harem. It was still pretty fun though, and I think the way it sorta swapped up genres with each arc, and the hints of a bigger plot was enough to keep my interest. Still I would have loved to see the series just focus on these characters pulling these set ups on each other.
Apr 26, 2016 4:49 AM

Nov 2015
You said:
Gabagool said:
Overrated

Shiki: This show has an 8.02 on this site right now and it's probably the worst show I've ever watched. Ridiculously boring, art is ugly af, music stinks, no character development and worst of all is that the characters do dumb shit all the time. I hate this show with a passion so I'm trying to contain myself lol an 8 is WAAAAAAAAAAY too high for this garbage.

I give Shiki 10/10. It's the best vampire anime IMO. and it succeeds bringing bunch of casts with development using the "Before turning to undead>after turning to undead." method, although one can argue that Sunako is the most well written among the story. And it's not boring too IMO, because it can keep the creepy atmosphere during it's slow paced start.

and lol just see your list and found that you like SSY. Shiki is way too similar with SSY. Check on my reccommendations to see their similarities.

Most of the characters weren't even that different when they became undead though lol. I guess the show didn't grab me because right off the bat I didn't get into the atmosphere of anything. I like horror stuff and atmospheric shows in general but the horror really didn't do it for me.

In relation to Shinsekai Yori I'm going to have to disagree with you on most points you made. You said "-How 2 humanoid species lives together in a dystopian system, so that it's inevitable to having fights between both species, it's explained more superficially in Shinsekai Yori while in Shiki, it's told less blatantly but if you look a bit deeper it's basically pretty similar" but in Shinsekai Yori the other species fought back because they were enslaved by humanity and had enough of it. It creates this sense of who is right and who is wrong. In Shiki they tried to do that by saying like "oh but vampires aren't so bad" but they have no reason... it's just that they exist. Humans didn't do anything to deserve to die in that show... they just do. SSY is also one of the best shows at creating atmosphere and had a lot of interesting mythos to it accompanied by good visuals and a great OST. Shiki was just a rural town that had some ugly vampires walk in and start eating people.
Apr 26, 2016 4:52 AM

Mar 2012
ReaperCreeper said:
NeoAnkara said:
Rokujouma no Shinryakusha is massively underrated. There are literally no harem that can even compare to it. How it integrate all character and connect it to one another is simply amazing without making any of them stand out more than other. Even in the arc that focus on one girl the other also developed nicely. The multiversal plot along with complex character backstory add the spice to the series. But the most important thing of all is that this is the most loving and sweet harem that I've ever encountered. Too bad really that the anime ended literally when the question that have been build up through the series about to be answered.
I remember finding, I think it was the 2nd episode, very promising. It was great fun seeing all these characters sabotage each other throughout the day in an attempt to win the room. I felt it was too bad that after that it became a lot more of a harem. It was still pretty fun though, and I think the way it sorta swapped up genres with each arc, and the hints of a bigger plot was enough to keep my interest. Still I would have loved to see the series just focus on these characters pulling these set ups on each other.
There are bigger enemy lurking behind. Even when the character itself become more and more intimate each passing time the same also go with the enemy fraction.
Now it's about fraction battle than individual.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 26, 2016 4:55 AM

Nov 2015
@Kuma

k-on sure have more than CGDCT, but doesnt change the fact that it's not that special either.. if anything, i would prefer azumanga daioh anytime...

Just because it isn't 'special' doesn't mean it isn't great. It's fine if you prefer Azumanga Daioh over it but the key to a good SOL show is it's characters and K-On has that in spades. How does the second season contradict the movie? The movie is about a part of the second season (the best part might I add..) episode 20 of K-On!! is one of the best in all of anime.
Apr 26, 2016 5:00 AM

Apr 2015
Gabagool said:
You said:

Most of the characters weren't even that different when they became undead though lol. I guess the show didn't grab me because right off the bat I didn't get into the atmosphere of anything. I like horror stuff and atmospheric shows in general but the horror really didn't do it for me.

In relation to Shinsekai Yori I'm going to have to disagree with you on most points you made. You said "-How 2 humanoid species lives together in a dystopian system, so that it's inevitable to having fights between both species, it's explained more superficially in Shinsekai Yori while in Shiki, it's told less blatantly but if you look a bit deeper it's basically pretty similar" but in Shinsekai Yori the other species fought back because they were enslaved by humanity and had enough of it. It creates this sense of who is right and who is wrong. In Shiki they tried to do that by saying like "oh but vampires aren't so bad" but they have no reason... it's just that they exist. Humans didn't do anything to deserve to die in that show... they just do. SSY is also one of the best shows at creating atmosphere and had a lot of interesting mythos to it accompanied by good visuals and a great OST. Shiki was just a rural town that had some ugly vampires walk in and start eating people.

Mar 2015
Gabagool said:
@Kuma

Just because it isn't 'special' doesn't mean it isn't great. It's fine if you prefer Azumanga Daioh over it but the key to a good SOL show is it's characters and K-On has that in spades. How does the second season contradict the movie? The movie is about a part of the second season (the best part might I add..) episode 20 of K-On!! is one of the best in all of anime.

K-on shure have charming character and nice relationship, but second season lack of comedy and feel dragged unlike first season....

because it make what yuki does on disparance movie is unreasonable..... endless 8 stabilished that yuki is heartless....
KumaApr 26, 2016 5:05 AM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."

Apr 2015
Orion_Gospel said:
Although i'm a fan, i would say One Piece is an overrated anime.

- Bad animation
- Very slow pacing
- Stupid filler scenes
- Sometimes cannon events are different from the manga
- It takes like 4-5 minutes to actually start watching the episode

Also, because it takes to long for the story to go on, people are getting bored, and they're not impressed anymore. Plus, many times, One Piece follows the exact same motive.
- Go to an island, which is ruled by a bad guy.
- Befriend with at least one girl and her family/friends
- Seperate the Straw hats, to even at different islands.
- Luffy wins with a nice finishing move, and he screams somethig like "Don't touch my nakama"
- Happy ending for a moment
- Show something "bad" which happened/is going to happen in some other island
- Hype
- Next arc

Dude, where i can like your post ?

I have the same feelings about One Piece, it's always the same plot.
Apr 26, 2016 5:04 AM

May 2013
TheDeadApostle said:
it's extremely well regarded by the few who claim to understand it.

Why is it hard to understand? the plot itself is very straightforward, it just doesn't treat the viewer like a baby by spoonfeeding everything.
Apr 26, 2016 5:04 AM

Aug 2014
I hope people will respect each other in this thread.

Overrated: Well, a lot of shows fall into this category, but i'll list only a few.

Elfen Lied: I dont know why this anime is so popular, it is so silly, everything is average and i think the music is really average at best, nothing special about it and the gore elements makes it so stupid, the drama is so forced. ugggh forgive me Elfen Lied fans, but this anime is really far far from good.

One Punch Man: It is a good anime, great technical aspects, but it doesn't deserve such high rating, it has no value just a parody with some great fights.
I repeat this also is a well made anime, and deserves a good rating however not such high rating on the internet, its for example #5 on Anime-Planet.
Still a good anime and i dont mind it in bottom of the top 100.

FMAB: A great show, I admit this show is one of the best 100 anime series out there, one of the best shounen shows, However i just dont think its the best ever, it has the highest score in every anime site on the internet and it receives no hate, and instead a lot of good shows (same level of FMAB) gets trashed everyday.
Personally i didn't like the characters that much, and the story which was addicting at some points wasn't that interesting also, i wanted more dark elements in the show, and the humor at the first episodes was weak.
Still a very good anime.

Kara no Kyoukai 5: I agree its the best movie in the whole series, but it also doesn't deserve that high rating, the whole zombie fight scenes and the typical comeback fight at the end felt somehow childish. (Shouldn't be in the top 100)

No Game No Life: Great art, and very entertaining, very good OST, i liked this anime, but i also dont think its a top 100 material, i mean the story has little to no value, and it should have less ecchi.

Hint: With the exception of Elfen Lied, all the shows I've mentioned are good shows.

Honorable Mention: FLCL( being weird with some coming of age symbolism doesn't mean its a masterpiece) Gintama ( I really like this show, but its just not the best anime ever made, nor its a top 10 material) I do agree it is the best anime comedy, Clannad first season, Monogatari series.

Edit: Anohana:
A boring anime, with a silly and unrealistic friendship relationships xD, I think its Above-average/Somehow Good. But it is definitely not a top 100 material, and being in the Top 50 i dont understand what people like so much about this anime, OK good art, good OST, but thats it, average animation, story is average, characters are average, and not entertaining. It shouldn't be in the top 100.

Underrated---> Next Post
Dr-EyesApr 26, 2016 5:29 AM
Apr 26, 2016 5:07 AM

Mar 2016
Ok, seems like no one wants to say it, so i will. Dont hate me for this, but in my opinion One Punch Man is overrated. Yes, its not bad anime, but cmon guys, after all of the comments about that anime, I was prepared to watch something amazing and at the end i was disappointed.
Apr 26, 2016 5:10 AM

Nov 2015
@You

I see what you're saying but in SSY they are forced to do all of humanities work and are enslaved but fight back because they are tired of getting bullied around. They are equal to humanity except for the fact that they don't have that power (I forgot what it's called) Both sides could essentially live in peace but humans wanted to use them for their own benefit. In Shiki people are just minding their own business until one day a vampire shows up and bites Megumi which starts the trend. I understand they don't want to kill humans and they need to in order to survive but that doesn't exactly justify it. In Shiki they try to make you feel for the vampires but it's hard to when clearly they were in the wrong in the first place. They say they want to live in peace with the humans but it makes no sense because in order to live they need to kill humans lol. It doesn't make sense.
Apr 26, 2016 5:10 AM

Mar 2016
Kokko said:
TheDeadApostle said:
it's extremely well regarded by the few who claim to understand it.

Why is it hard to understand? the plot itself is very straightforward, it just doesn't treat the viewer like a baby by spoonfeeding everything.

Well, I watched it and I wasn't impressed so I assumed I missed out on something. I wasn't expecting spoon-feeding.
Apr 26, 2016 5:13 AM

Nov 2015
Kuma said:
Gabagool said:
@Kuma

K-on shure have charming character and nice relationship, but second season lack of comedy and feel dragged unlike first season....

because it make what yuki does on disparance movie is unreasonable..... endless 8 stabilished that yuki is heartless....

For starters, I originally thought you meant the K-On second season and K-On movie lol. Either way thought the Haruhi movie is only helped by the second season. The whole point of the movie is that Yuki was broken down by the events of the Endless 8 which is why she reacted the way she did proving that she was actually more than just some heartless alien and actually had emotions.
Apr 26, 2016 5:15 AM

Oct 2015
Kuma said:
AutisAwsome said:
Well people may hate me for this but I think a lot of Jump animes are very highly overated. not to say they aren't good but they often have slapstick humour and childish plots which I just don't think should take such fame over something artistic and meaningful that took much longer to make like Madoka Magica and Akira! Seriously! Why do people not know about these but they know about naruto or avatar?! Avatar isn't even technically an anime! I'm not sure I can say much for underated anime coz I am only just getting into forums and finding out about what is popular and such but I find Card Captors is a pretty decent magical girl anime for once and no-one seems to pay it any mind as such so I will say that one. well that's my 2 cents :3
if you talking about WSJ, sure it's childish because it's most friendly magazine for teenagers with soo many cencorship and they are mostly designed that way. even like that, there is still some really gritty stuff like death note. but if jump it self, even tokyo ghoul, gantz, or elfen lied is jump...

well to be honest I heard from a friend what jump animes were so I may not know all of which are but I generally mean the most popular ones with 'die hard' anime fans which don't watch anything else other than that anime like Bleach and such. The ones always used for pics on anime websites and all. I don't have anything against them or anyone who watches them and I am aware they are for a younger audience most of the time but when they say it is the 'best anime ever!' then they can just bugger off!
Apr 26, 2016 5:16 AM

Apr 2015
@Gabagool
How can you decide that the vampires were in wrong in the first place? they don't have other choices to live other than drinking human blood, so its justifiable. And I don't recall that they wanted to coexist with humans at all, beause they know they can't. They just wanted to live in peace, that's all.
@Klassical
KnK 5 is great because it exxplained on what actually happened on the 1st-4th movie, the concept of Taoism (Wuji,Taiji, and Yin&Yang), Akashic records, and how one can bypass that in order to reach Akashic Records and changes everything, including turns universe into a single entity.
Apr 26, 2016 5:19 AM

Aug 2014
Underrated:

Texhnolyze: The most underrated anime by far, Why is this at #863? I have no fucking idea.
The animation is good, the art is amazing, it gives you a great picture about the dark world/atmosphere this anime has, the characters are pretty good they develop well and they are mysterious, the story is also unique, it has good action and good mystery, amazing OST and a scary OP song. It is a gem for any Dark/Mature anime fan.

Ergo Proxy: Same as Tex, but less better imo, Ergo Proxy has better animation than Tex, but the story is better in Tex, both are similar though. The atmosphere in Ergo Proxy is so unique, it also has some great soundtracks that will help you get into the anime, it has very good characters that serves the plot really well, It also has some deeper philosophical meaning but thats not why i think its underrated.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: The second most underrated anime on MAL, The anime is really amazing, I went into it expecting that its average at best, but OMG i got a masterpiece.
Art+Animation: are acceptable for its date. but thats it.. everything else is amazing.
Sounds: Best voice acting-- no contest, Amazing OST.. Whats more?
Story: Complex plot with mysterious and interesting events that makes you keep watching to figure it out and once you figure it out (in the movie) it is really a great puzzle.
Characters: one of the best about Evangelion is its characters, the development is great and the backstory about the characters is also great, what i liked the most was the analysis of each character, especially the main character Shinji which i think deserves a lot of unfair hate.
I wont write a lot, but Evangelion should be in the top 100 as soon as possible.

Shinsekai Yori: I know it is in the top 100, but a lot of people seem to hate it for a stupid reason ---> Ep 8 !
The setting alone deserve a 7 at least, it has one of the best stories in anime, very original and with great sounds, Needed some more work in the characters section but other than that its excellent, i consider it a lesser masterpiece, truly amazing show.

Honorable mentions: NHK,Penguindrum ( not very underrated though, maybe just a little)
Dr-EyesApr 26, 2016 5:26 AM

Jul 2015
Cmterio said:
Orion_Gospel said:
Although i'm a fan, i would say One Piece is an overrated anime.

- Bad animation
- Very slow pacing
- Stupid filler scenes
- Sometimes cannon events are different from the manga
- It takes like 4-5 minutes to actually start watching the episode

Also, because it takes to long for the story to go on, people are getting bored, and they're not impressed anymore. Plus, many times, One Piece follows the exact same motive.
- Go to an island, which is ruled by a bad guy.
- Befriend with at least one girl and her family/friends
- Seperate the Straw hats, to even at different islands.
- Luffy wins with a nice finishing move, and he screams somethig like "Don't touch my nakama"
- Happy ending for a moment
- Show something "bad" which happened/is going to happen in some other island
- Hype
- Next arc

Dude, where i can like your post ?

I have the same feelings about One Piece, it's always the same plot.

Glad to see someone who agrees.
I mean come on, even at the manga the plot sometimes is slow. And at the anime, even slower.

Also i think sometimes we get extremely detailed plot ( no matter on what these details are) for no specific reason.
Many people will say "he/she/that will play a hyge role later"
WHEN EXACTLY??? One Piece is already a very long story... Not everyone is patient >.<

Mar 2015
Gabagool said:
Kuma said:

For starters, I originally thought you meant the K-On second season and K-On movie lol.
i am honestly adore K-on season one until episode 8 or something when all drama starting... it's just plain stupid and come out outa nowhere...

spoiler pls
Apr 26, 2016 5:21 AM

Nov 2015
You said:
@Gabagool
How can you decide that the vampires were in wrong in the first place? they don't have other choices to live other than drinking human blood, so its justifiable. And I don't recall that they wanted to coexist with humans at all, beause they know they can't. They just wanted to live in peace, that's all.

How can you decide they weren't? The humans didn't do anything to the vampires but the vampires attacked the humans and then want to "live in peace" but how do they go about doing that? That's right... killing humans. Obviously the humans aren't going to take that lying down lol but the show insists on trying to shoehorn in this plot of like "Oh but the vampires aren't bad... they just want to live in peace." Which is inherently impossible.
Apr 26, 2016 5:24 AM

Mar 2015
AutisAwsome said:
Kuma said:
if you talking about WSJ, sure it's childish because it's most friendly magazine for teenagers with soo many cencorship and they are mostly designed that way. even like that, there is still some really gritty stuff like death note. but if jump it self, even tokyo ghoul, gantz, or elfen lied is jump...

well to be honest I heard from a friend what jump animes were so I may not know all of which are but I generally mean the most popular ones with 'die hard' anime fans which don't watch anything else other than that anime like Bleach and such. The ones always used for pics on anime websites and all. I don't have anything against them or anyone who watches them and I am aware they are for a younger audience most of the time but when they say it is the 'best anime ever!' then they can just bugger off!
well, it's just their opinion. as jump sucker my self, jump series is extreamly wide. if it's best anime for them, then let it be. jump is supposed to have wide appeal, so don't expect it being soo blatant in content.. but still, i don't see reason why series is overrated just being jump... i don't see anything wrong with wide appealing approach...
Apr 26, 2016 5:25 AM

Aug 2013
Kuma said:
Gabagool said:
Underrated

K-On!: On this site it has a 7.88 which isn't bad but just by talking to people it seems like most just don't get it. This show is so much more than "cute girls doing cute things" or "moe blobs with a quirky hobby." Really is a great show with great character development that hits on all aspects. You will laugh... you will cry. When you look back on the show you will realize just how much the characters have grown and why it is so special.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Second Season: Everybody hates on the Endless 8 and it's obvious why. In it's premise it's just the same episode 8 times shot in slightly different ways and with very little changes otherwise. So why is it underrated? Because this is a great setup to the movie and also a pretty original idea in general. Without delving too far into spoiler territory let's just say that watching those episodes really put you into the mindset of what Yuki must have been feeling like on a minor scale. Not too many shows really mess with your brain in this sense lol. I also feel like it is just important to go through it just to say you did it... idk... maybe that's just me lol

But your post's not special either
I mean shallow words isn't a good way to give any solid argument and it's commonly used in all kind of discussion
Special or not isn't the right way to describe a show quality
I recognise k-on as a simple CGDCT but it's better than a lot of Special shows out there because for me it's achieve what it's try to do almost perfectly
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 26, 2016 5:26 AM

Apr 2015
Gabagool said:
You said:
@Gabagool

How can you decide they weren't? The humans didn't do anything to the vampires but the vampires attacked the humans and then want to "live in peace" but how do they go about doing that? That's right... killing humans. Obviously the humans aren't going to take that lying down lol but the show insists on trying to shoehorn in this plot of like "Oh but the vampires aren't bad... they just want to live in peace." Which is inherently impossible.

Apr 26, 2016 5:28 AM

Nov 2015
Kuma said:
Gabagool said:

For starters, I originally thought you meant the K-On second season and K-On movie lol.
i am honestly adore K-on season one until episode 8 or something when all drama starting... it's just plain stupid and come out outa nowhere...

spoiler pls

Apr 26, 2016 5:34 AM

Oct 2015
Kuma said:
AutisAwsome said:

well, it's just their opinion. as jump sucker my self, jump series is extreamly wide. if it's best anime for them, then let it be. jump is supposed to have wide appeal, so don't expect it being soo blatant in content.. but still, i don't see reason why series is overrated just being jump... i don't see anything wrong with wide appealing approach...

well the point I am making is not the animes are terrible or anything but that they are 'overrated' and just any jump fan I have come across (probably not u by the sound of it) has been all uppity about it and I guess it just makes me a bit sour. no offense meant
Apr 26, 2016 5:39 AM

Nov 2015
@You

Apr 26, 2016 5:40 AM

Mar 2015
monali said:
Kuma said:

But your post's not special either
I mean shallow words isn't a good way to give any solid argument and it's commonly used in all kind of discussion
Special or not isn't the right way to describe a show quality
I recognise k-on as a simple CGDCT but it's better than a lot of Special shows out there because for me it's achieve what it's try to do almost perfectly
should i explain each season in detail?

Gabagool said:
Kuma said:

spoiler pls

KumaApr 26, 2016 5:44 AM
Apr 26, 2016 5:44 AM

Nov 2015
@Kuma

Yuki-chan is a spinoff and therefore not cannon to the original Haruhi universe
Apr 26, 2016 5:46 AM

Apr 2015
Gabagool said:
@You

Apr 26, 2016 5:49 AM

Nov 2015
You said:
Gabagool said:
@You

Apr 26, 2016 5:49 AM

Apr 2015
@Klassical: That 1 min scene during the few last episodes of NGE was laughable and pathetic.
Not to mention that the first half are just like 'monster of the week' scenes.
Apr 26, 2016 5:51 AM

Apr 2015
Gabagool said:
You said:

Really? Then you won't drink human blood? So you don't fear of dying yourself? Lol if it's me then I would do the same as the undeads do. I want to live!

But that's also okay,in the series Natsuno thinks exactly just like you
Apr 26, 2016 5:54 AM

Nov 2015
You said:
Gabagool said:

Really? Then you won't drink human blood? So you don't fear of dying yourself? Lol if it's me then I would do the same as the undeads do. I want to live!

Na I'm pissed if they bite me lol. I'm bashing some heads together even though it means I'm dying. I'll probably die regardless. What if feeding means you have to eat your little sister or your mom? I can't live with that... they didn't do anything wrong but do you know who did?... the guy who bit me lol. Even if that person who bit me was my dad
Apr 26, 2016 6:00 AM

Aug 2014
@You
Which scene are you referring to? is it "Congratulations"? I consider NGE to be (Episode 1-24+ Movie EoE) This episode (25-26) was just to further the character analysis in the series.
Also the first half builds the story, it builds the character interaction with each other, and it develops the story and the characters, plus it was entertaining for me, and it gave the show a mysterious feeling which made me continue watching to figure out everything. (thought i dont agree on calling it first half, the series was never divided into two halves lol)
Dont forget; I understand the criticism, but the series is still very underrated.
Apr 26, 2016 6:01 AM

Apr 2015
Gabagool said:
You said:

Na I'm pissed if they bite me lol. I'm bashing some heads together even though it means I'm dying. I'll probably die regardless. What if feeding means you have to eat your little sister or your mom? I can't live with that... they didn't do anything wrong but do you know who did?... the guy who bit me lol. Even if that person who bit me was my dad

Lol everyone don't want to be an undead in the first place, except perhaps Seishirou. Its just the way on how people thinks.

@Klassical I meant to that elevator scene and that

And well as for enjoyment I guess when it's divided into parts like the rebuild, the 2.0 will be my least enjoyable, you can guess on why lol
YouApr 26, 2016 6:04 AM
Apr 26, 2016 6:03 AM

Aug 2014
-Maz said:
But I suppose I'll join in. Akatsuki no Yona is overrated. It's very typical and generic. Just seems like a somewhat inferior version of Arslan Senkki, although it thankfully doesn't have any awful CGI. Enjoyable and entertaining, but certainly not deserving of an 8+ score, IMO.
While I do agree that it's rather generic, I disagree on it not deserving 8+.

The storyline isn't something new or unique, but what makes it so great, imo, is the great cast of character with decent development for most of the main cast, and even some romantic development going on between Yona/Hak and Yona/Soo-Won. Additionally, each important character got enough screentime to be fleshed quite well and they were all interesting/lovely in their own aspect - none of the characters felt like they were copy/similar to each other, but instead each had their own distinct feature that made them who they are. And then there are the motives.
Soo-Won is a rather great character imo, mainly because he is portrayed in a way that may seem evil at first, but when you learn his motivations and the way he is acting, you'll start to understand his character and maybe even like him so much more. Even some of the minor side characters get some form for development and are characterized well enough for you to understand them.

Visually it's also quite good for the most part, I have very few complaints in that department, and in terms of soundtrack it had a pretty nice range of OSTs that fit quite well with the overall atmosphere of the show.
Well I might just be a biased fanboy tho.
SnappynatorApr 26, 2016 6:09 AM
Apr 26, 2016 6:04 AM

Jan 2011
Concrete Revolutio is pretty underrated. It takes a bunch of different tokusatsu elements in a bright colourful world with historical allusions and plays it completely seriously. It doesn't sound like it should work, but somehow it pulls it off. Everything really does make you think it'll be some kind of light hearted goofy comedy, much like Madoka or Gakkou Gurashi, but unlike them it doesn't really pretend to be such, which I think makes the whole subversion of expectations come off as a whole less cheap.

It's not hard to see why it would turn people off, I mean I've already said how on paper it sounds like a trainwreck, and it is pretty episodic for the most part, although the plot is very much there, they all have some signficance. These separate episodes can be pretty different in quality, many people will say it gets a lot better after the initial start. I never though the earlier episodes were too different, but that should let you know that you may actually like it even if you think it doesn't seem like all that at the start. There's also the way we keep getting random time shifts, but it does tell you when these are in big letters so it I don't think it should really throw off that many people.

All in all it's a series that'll get overlooked by a lot, that might very well like it if they take a chance.
Apr 26, 2016 6:07 AM

Aug 2013
@Kuma
Isn't that's better
And what a surprise the first season and the movie are my favorites either but unlike you I enjoyed the drama a lot in second season and for me it's wasn't melodramatic at least
Just to clear things up the comedy wasn't the only thing that's people loved k-on especially in SS the drama was what made k-on more special
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 26, 2016 6:08 AM

Aug 2013
TrollingTrolls said:
Ok, seems like no one wants to say it, so i will. Dont hate me for this, but in my opinion One Punch Man is overrated. Yes, its not bad anime, but cmon guys, after all of the comments about that anime, I was prepared to watch something amazing and at the end i was disappointed.

Ah don't tell me you watch it after it complated
Oh well suck to be you I mean you have missed all those fun thread
Apr 26, 2016 6:12 AM

Mar 2015
monali said:
@Kuma
Isn't that's better
And what a surprise the first season and the movie are my favorites either but unlike you I enjoyed the drama a lot in second season and for me it's wasn't melodramatic at least
Just to clear things up the comedy wasn't the only thing that's people loved k-on especially in SS the drama was what made k-on more special
the problem is drama in K-on is not that noteworthy.. sure it's nicely put, but doesn't really blow me away either... it's just too flat... the build-up, the execution, the reaction, everything just fill on line, no high up or high down... there is CGDCT with better drama like aria....
Apr 26, 2016 6:41 AM

Sep 2015
@Snappynator I dunno, it's just that when I saw the 8+ score I just assumed there would be something specific that set it apart, ya know? It kind of makes me think of Fullmetal Alchemist where there's nothing specifically good, but it just executes everything pretty well.
Aside from the comedy, though. I really didn't enjoy the comedy whatsoever. I probably would've given it a 7/10 overall if not for the comedy.

But yeah, like I said to Ckan, the first season was setting up the plot, so having such a high score for something which was simply laying the groundwork was somewhat surprising.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Apr 26, 2016 6:51 AM

Jan 2014
Most recently, that would be Erased.

The last episode works as a comedy though, which is all the worse because it was trying to be serious. I showed that infamous scene to my family, and they were laughing and shaking their heads in confusion.

It does nothing to dissuade the notion that all you need is some pretty pictures, some characters for people to ship (even if they are children) and swarmy-marmy stuff for the mushy-hearted.

Then again, it seems that something has to fill that "anime of the season" spot, even if it is awful.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Apr 26, 2016 6:55 AM

Nov 2014
Before anything else, let me just say that I never expected this thread to be revived, especially at this time.
Now, I wonder if ATotD will be revived as well?
eh I doubt it
silverwalls said:
houkago no pleiades is underrated. even back when it aired barely anyone cared about it, which is sad because imo it's one of the best magical girl series of the past few years (not like there's much competition, but still). the fact that most of the magic action happened in space/on different planets was an interesting take on the genre and the concept of different timelines was used in an interesting way too. the main characters all got focus in their respective episodes which i loved, and its romance was great too.
While I didn't rate it very high, I agree. Houkago no Pleiades was really good during during the the last third of the anime or so.

It's just that it pretty damn all over the place during the first few episodes.

Binbougami ga! is pretty underrated. It was a really damn funny show, using parodies and the like for its comedy. It had a good concept too, and the two MCs personalities blend well with each other.

I would say Mirai Nikki is incredibly, very incredibly overrated. It was a large mess of a mess. Redial especially was horrible in every way possible.
Yuki is pprobably the worst MC I have ever seen. He is INCREDIBLY stupid, to a point that I can't even fathom what he's doing anymore.
Yuno wasn't much better with her annoying, obsessive love with Yuki, and that's just really the quirk that defines her.
It was just a gigantic mess. I can expand on it a lot more, but I'm too damn lazy for that now.

Apr 26, 2016 7:12 AM

Mar 2015
amk_2397 said:
Boku no Hero Acadamia- weren't people hyping this up to be like the next Naruto or something? What the hell happened? Oh right, Attack on Trains and Re: Zero...
wth? do you even bother to checking sales thread? boku no hero is boosting nicely... also it's not even finished yet, how they can overrated/underrated? their score is still unstable... re:zero LN also got nice boost.. kotetsujo estimed to breaking 10K.. yes both of them also get significant boost...
Apr 26, 2016 7:15 AM

Nov 2014
Kuma said:
amk_2397 said:
Boku no Hero Acadamia- weren't people hyping this up to be like the next Naruto or something? What the hell happened? Oh right, Attack on Trains and Re: Zero...
wth? do you even bother to checking sales thread? boku no hero is boosting nicely... also it's not even finished yet, how they can overrated/underrated? their score is still unstable... re:zero LN also got nice boost.. kotetsujo estimed to breaking 10K.. yes both of them also get significant boost...
I'm not saying any of those are overrated but if anything having a lot of sales numbers would just make it seem more overrated, no?
Also something can be overrated even if it's not done yet.

Apr 26, 2016 7:19 AM

Aug 2014
gavvoru said:
overrated would probably be SAO. i know it's been talked about billions of times before and i am not a parrot, and therefore i see no need to touch upon that subject again. underrated however... that's hard. i'd say angel's egg, often in the shadow of ghost in the shell.
I wouldn't SAO is overrated anylonger...you really don't see any people talking about besides the occasional SAO bashing here and there.
Apr 26, 2016 7:19 AM

Mar 2015
AzureDaora said:
Kuma said:
I'm not saying any of those are overrated but if anything having a lot of sales numbers would just make it seem more overrated, no?
Also something can be overrated even if it's not done yet.
i am just saying boku no hero not lost it hype compare to kotetsujo no kabaneri and RE:zero... RE:zero gaint significant popularity growth thou... because first episode i would said... sure airing anime can be overrated, but it will down evantually when the hype down....
Apr 26, 2016 7:25 AM

Nov 2013
Snappynator said:
you really don't see any people talking about besides the occasional SAO bashing here and there.
Doesn't that actually make it underrated?
Pages (85) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Ruined after Serial Experiments Lain [Spoilers]

zaitec - May 6, 2017

14 by bacassu »»
2 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - 46 minutes ago

9 by Tsuyatoash »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 7 hours ago

33 by palm-tree »»
11 minutes ago

» Can someone help me find this anime's name?

Angelblue1852 - 22 minutes ago

0 by Angelblue1852 »»
22 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - 9 hours ago

19 by Archean-Return »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.