Forum Settings
Forums

Do you find yourself generally liking anime from the opposite gender's demographic?

New
Apr 24, 2016 11:25 PM

Jan 2016
Well, I just took a look at my scores and I generally like josei and shoujo stuff... (to the point that, I can't really say I have disliked an anime from those demographic)
The themes of anime from those demographic generally appeal to me on a conceptual level.

ethotApr 24, 2016 11:32 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 24, 2016 11:30 PM

Mar 2014
My fifth favorite anime Inferno Cop is for manly men and I loved it despite the fact that I'm a girl
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 24, 2016 11:31 PM

Sep 2015
I really haven't watched that much Josei but I find myself quite fond of every Shoujo anime I've started and rated all fairly good. So yeah, I would say that as a guy I enjoy anime "meant" for girls.

Apr 24, 2016 11:36 PM

Apr 2016
It's not a general rule, but I do enjoy some shoujo and josei despite being a man.
Something witty that makes you think I'm funny

Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier
Apr 24, 2016 11:39 PM

Oct 2014
I don't like too much shoujo romance but I've liked pretty much all of the mahou shoujo anime I've seen. Mahou shoujo and high school seinen slice of life (CGDCT) aren't really that different. They're enjoyable for different reasons, but fans of one will likely like the other.

My first anime (Hamtaro) is shoujo and I really enjoyed it as a kid. It's sort of kodomuke, but it's from Ciao which is a very shoujopoi magazine.
zombie_pegasusApr 24, 2016 11:43 PM
Apr 25, 2016 12:36 AM

Nov 2015
I'm watching Nana right now (well technically not really because hiatus due to finals on the horizon) and so far, as an 18 year old college going male who grew up on stupid frat-boy flicks I think it's fucking fantastic..
Apr 25, 2016 12:40 AM

Sep 2015
According to my MALgraph stats, I would say no - but I don't really have a big enough sample size to accurately say.
Josei - 1. Although it was Shouwa Genroku and I gave it a 10.
Shoujo - 13
Shoujo ai - 3

Compared to seinen - 35 and Shounen - 81

Shoujo ai actually has my 2nd lowest mean score out of all genres / demographics, sitting at a 4.67.
Shoujo has a 5.69 mean score from me, so in general I do enjoy them.
Shounen is 6.31 so there's not too much of a difference, especially considering how much more shounen anime I've seen.

So as it stands I can't really say too much because my sample sizes simply aren't big enough.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Apr 25, 2016 12:43 AM
Mar 2008
I mean, if its good, then why not? My favorite in the department still is "Wedding Peach". Its not in my top 10s or something but still is my favorite regards of Shoujo. And even Kamikaze Kaitou Jeane was not bad at all.
Even tho i am a man and prefer shounen and manly men in the Hokuto no Ken or Sakigake Otokojuku Level.
Apr 25, 2016 12:43 AM

Dec 2012
No. They are often not great from my personal experience. The real problem I have with them is art, otherwise I would read more josei manga. I wish Shoujo and Josie anime were more popular.
Apr 25, 2016 1:02 AM

Jun 2015
In the same way not watching only shows with mature content doesn't make you more infantile (I'd say in the other way round but that's my opinion), watching stuff targeted at girls in Japan doesn't make you less man. After all, shoujo and josei have a real correspondance in there only, in the rest of the world their biggest consumer are males and I think it's just fine.

Apr 25, 2016 1:08 AM

Oct 2014
I've actually spent the most time watching shoujo out of the four demographics, but I haven't seen too much josei.
Shoujo (194.9 hours) + josei (11.3 hours) = 206.2 hours
Shounen (104.4 hours) + seinen (117.5 hours) = 221.9 hours

My time watched between "for males" and "for females" isn't too big of a difference. A lot of the seinen anime I've watched are things like K-On! that can be shown to little girls and Gakkougurashi that look like they should safe to show to little girls.
Apr 25, 2016 1:15 AM

Nov 2009
>Do you find yourself generally liking anime from the opposite gender's demographic?
Generally, I don't. I've tried watching a lot of shoujo anime, and generally found them not to my taste. Even the ones I managed to finish.
Some are too emotionally intense for me, and I drop them quickly. (I am unusually sensitive to stuff that happens in fiction)
Others just don't click with me (for example, Arcana Famiglia)

The only shoujo genre that I can reliably watch is magical girl anime. I started my anime career with Cardcaptor Sakura, and watched a number of other anime of this genre (both proper ones, and the ones meant for men, like Nanoha). This genre has everything that men like me like: girls, magic and, often enough, fighting evil.

zombie_pegasus said:
Gakkougurashi that look like they should safe to show to little girls.

flannanApr 25, 2016 1:18 AM
Apr 25, 2016 1:18 AM

Dec 2012
Lordwen said:
After all, shoujo and josei have a real correspondance in there only, in the rest of the world their biggest consumer are males and I think it's just fine.

What do you mean by that? Can't think of any that have a big male fanbase.
Apr 25, 2016 1:21 AM

Feb 2016
I like all demographics but I find myself leaning towards the shounen/seinen side more, despite being a girl. Though I do enjoy my shoujo every once in a while.
Apr 25, 2016 1:25 AM

Mar 2015
I generally dont. I do like some shojou, less than 10% of them probably.
This salad is salty favored
Apr 25, 2016 1:29 AM

Jun 2015
I watch everything except yaoi and shoujo ai so I wouldn't know.
Apr 25, 2016 1:40 AM

Jun 2015
tsudecimo said:
Lordwen said:
After all, shoujo and josei have a real correspondance in there only, in the rest of the world their biggest consumer are males and I think it's just fine.

Basically what I just said, and ever since the number of watchers is leaning to the male side. Also just check how the only females that have appeared so far in this thread like shounen/seinen more. Demographics in the west lose great part of its original meaning and refer to a preestablished market that only exists there.
Apr 25, 2016 2:00 AM

Jan 2013
According to my MAL Graph my mean scores for the various demographics look something like this:

Obviously the title count plays into that statistic but generally speaking I do find myself leaning towards the female demographic naturally.
As a male, that is--for your reference.
ChandelaApr 25, 2016 4:16 AM
Apr 25, 2016 2:03 AM

Dec 2012
Lordwen said:
tsudecimo said:

Basically what I just said, and ever since the number of watchers is leaning to the male side. Also just check how the only females that have appeared so far in this thread like shounen/seinen more. Demographics in the west lose great part of its original meaning and refer to a preestablished market that only exists there.

That doesn't really make sense. The majority are still female watchers. Even series like Haikyuu have more female watchers let alone Shoujo series.

The difference between the number of males and female anime fans is not as big as you making out to be. Even in this site it's only 3:1 ratio (and that doesn't take into account the many female fans that prefer to let their gender anonymous or mark it as male)

Most fans of shows like Sailor moon, Ouran, Kachiko maid sama, etc, I've met are females.
Apr 25, 2016 2:06 AM

Jun 2015
-Maz said:
Shoujo ai - 3
But shoujo ai is not a demographic, it's literally girls love and it uses to be either shoujo or seinen. In your case more like the later because they're also ecchi shows.

tsudecimo said:
Lordwen said:

That doesn't really make sense. The majority are still female watchers. Even series like Haikyuu have more female watchers let alone Shoujo series.

The difference between the number of males and female anime fans is not as big as you making out to be. Even in this site it's only 3:1 ratio (and that doesn't take into account the many female fans that prefer to let their gender anonymous or mark it as male)

Most fans of shows like Sailor moon, Ouran, Kachiko maid sama, etc, I've met are females.
I think you're just retaining some examples in your head and calling that a majority. Get the 76,884 users that have rated Nana for instance, and the male-female proportion I'm pretty sure will be really similar to most titles (have my doubts about ecchi shows for instance, but I guess those just have a higher male proportion instead of the shoujo ones having a really distinguishable female majority). Either way we can't tell, my point is that the correlation might exist but not because of the demographics but for the content of the series.
UnowenApr 25, 2016 2:15 AM
Apr 25, 2016 2:09 AM

Dec 2011
..because it's rare to see cute girls, that's why i watch cute girls doing cute things anime.

Current season is really a blessing with Anne Happy, Sansha Sanyou, and Haifuri
Apr 25, 2016 2:10 AM

Oct 2013
Pretty sure Shounen Ai isn't a demographic but I find it pretty tasteful if that counts.
Apr 25, 2016 2:10 AM

Sep 2015
Lordwen said:
-Maz said:
Shoujo ai - 3
But shoujo ai is not a demographic, it's literally girls love and it uses to be either shoujo or seinen. In your case more like the later because they're also ecchi shows.

Ah my bad. I just saw the shoujo part and assumed it was the same sorta thing.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Apr 25, 2016 2:12 AM

Nov 2014
As some youtuber I forgot who said:

"If I'm going to watch or play something, I'd rather see a girl. That's more appealing to the eyes."

I agree to an extent lmao

Apr 25, 2016 2:26 AM

Jan 2013
Lordwen said:
I think you're just retaining some examples in your head and calling that a majority.

A lot of people do this whether they are inherently aware of it or not. I cannot blame them though considering it's probably the only environment they know based on previous proclamations. Interesting to see someone specifically mention it though, for it's something I've held at the front of my mind for some time.

-Maz said:

Plus ten for not promoting ignorance. As simplistic as it might seem, I find things of this nature extremely charming. Good on you comrade, well done.
Apr 25, 2016 2:48 AM

Jul 2012
Looking in my top 10 Anime on my profile:
Josei - 3
Seinen - 2
Shounen - 2
Shoujo/Female-targeted - 2
N/A - 1 (Shinsekai Yori)

I dunno? The Shounen/Seinen I usually like have a very general audience, like Space Brothers and Kimi to Boku. I don't like manly shounen but general shounen, if that makes sense.
Apr 25, 2016 3:28 AM
Apr 2016
AzureDaora said:
As some youtuber I forgot who said:

"If I'm going to watch or play something, I'd rather see a girl. That's more appealing to the eyes."

I agree to an extent lmao

was'nst that A.D.I from sugerpunch review?

CapitalistGod said:
Well, I just took a look at my scores and I generally like josei and shoujo stuff... (to the point that, I can't really say I have disliked an anime from those demographic)
The themes of anime from those demographic generally appeal to me on a conceptual level.

i have to say no i've tryed but the sexism in shoujo/reverse harem/josei series are hard to ignore
Apr 25, 2016 3:33 AM

Dec 2015
well i'm into pretty much any and every type of anime so not really
Apr 25, 2016 3:50 AM
Jul 2018
After a quick scan of my list it seems I only like a little bit of both. In the future I might get more into them.
Apr 25, 2016 4:13 AM

Nov 2012
If you consider that Revolutionary Girl Utena is one of the greatest anime ever made and it's a shoujo, I think it's perfectly fine to enjoy stuff from the opposite gender's demographic. Demographics don't mean much anyway since they're just generalisations on who the marketers think the show will appeal to.
Apr 25, 2016 4:13 AM
May 2009
I like both.
Only thing I can't stand is Yaoi, Yuri is fine.

Shoujo manga and anime are also fine, I actually enjoy them since they are quite different from the Action oriented Shonen or Seinen stuff.
Apr 25, 2016 4:21 AM

Jul 2015
-Maz said:
Lordwen said:

BTW, MAL and the west misuse the terms Shounen Ai and Shoujo Ai. People here use them for young boys/girls' love, but they actually mean "attraction to young boys/girls". Don't tell a japanese you're into shounen Ai :p.

And yeah, yuri is often aimed at boys, and yaoi at girls.
Apr 25, 2016 4:26 AM

Dec 2012
Clebardman said:

Actually both are aimed at girls. Most yuri are the soft cute kind and not the ecchi type.
Apr 25, 2016 4:30 AM

Jul 2015
tsudecimo said:
Clebardman said:

Actually both are aimed at girls. Most yuri are the soft cute kind and not the ecchi type.

Hmm. Yuri is kinda split but I would have sworn the shoujo yuri was more a relic of the past by now. I might be wrong.
Apr 25, 2016 4:32 AM

Jul 2015
No never
I will never like a shoujo in my life
Apr 25, 2016 5:03 AM

Jan 2013
i hate anime that targets males only and the ones that targets females only

so where does that put me ? am i intersex ?

brb gonna change my gander to non binary
Apr 25, 2016 5:25 AM

Sep 2015
Not really, most anime I watched consist of shounen or seinen demographic generally. Although I rarely watch them, however I just can't go too far and say that I will not ever look at shoujo or josei anime either, cause I have watched some of anime in that demographic and it was great.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
Apr 25, 2016 5:27 AM
Dec 2015
Moe anime I feel is majority male targeted, although I know a lot of girls like it too. Also ecchi, it's super funny...and hot.
Apr 25, 2016 5:29 AM

Jul 2015
Idk. In my favorites at least, id say Orange is pretty girly, but I'm not sure about the other ones
Apr 25, 2016 6:01 AM

Dec 2012
Yessir, nothing wrong with some good ole shoujo. I've even got two in my favorites (would be 3 if Bokura ga Ita could fit!). I like 'em so much, that while I was looking at the spring season my first pick just had to be 12-sai. Just something about the typical, fluffy shoujo character designs that I love.

Apr 25, 2016 6:11 AM

Dec 2014
I haven't really given this much thought, but I guess I do.
Apr 25, 2016 6:15 AM

Sep 2008
As long as it's good, then I can watch even anime made for elderly people or animals. Except yaoi. Yaoi is bad, mkay.
Apr 25, 2016 6:20 AM

Oct 2009
Ratohnhaketon said:
Yessir, nothing wrong with some good ole shoujo. I've even got two in my favorites (would be 3 if Bokura ga Ita could fit!). I like 'em so much, that while I was looking at the spring season my first pick just had to be 12-sai. Just something about the typical, fluffy shoujo character designs that I love.

Yeah, that show is quite lighthearted, if only we see more stories from the boys side it would be even more sweet. I also read a lot of shoujo manga when I was little thanks to my sister, from lighthearted series like these to something more dramatic like the glass mask and bara series like rose of versailles. I am enjoying the wide variety in shoujo manga.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Apr 25, 2016 6:27 AM

Aug 2014
I don't really care about the demographic, though it seems like most of my favs are more shounen than Shoujo.
Apr 25, 2016 6:42 AM

Jan 2015
I surely prefer shounen and seinen, some shoujos stories have little appeal to me. But I don't care about demographics tbh, there are many other aspects to consider when watching something new other than just "aimed for men/women".
Apr 25, 2016 6:47 AM

Dec 2014
I like quite a few shows that are in the shoujo/josei demographic. (Even though one of them feels more like something you'd see from a seinen (Sabagebu is the show I'm talking about by the way), but I digress)
Apr 25, 2016 6:52 AM

Apr 2014
I watch more shonen and seinen but that may also be because there's a lot more to chose from and encompass a lot more different genres than shojo. As for enjoyment, I don't like romances of either demographic but for everything else I enjoy them on average equally I'd say.
Apr 25, 2016 7:11 AM

Feb 2013
Idk maybe? Im not a really fan of shoujo anyways, and right now Im watching jojo and Im loving it

Apr 25, 2016 7:20 AM

Mar 2014
I enjoy shounen and seinen which both are aimed at males. Although it's pretty common for anime fans to like those two anyways.
I love Jojo, it's so fabulously manly.

I don't like Yaoi though, although I can tolerate Yuri. Weird.
Apr 25, 2016 7:27 AM

Sep 2015
I think I've barely watched any shoujo anime but from the two that I've known I've watched (Snow White with Red Hair and Yona of the Dawn) I have enjoyed, the former over the latter though. I want to try and watch more but I don't really know what to check out. I've heard Orange is shoujo and I'm definitely looking forward to that when it airs.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good?

arinthach - Yesterday

47 by Maroonedisback »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - 4 hours ago

9 by TRC_Randy »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 6 hours ago

22 by Maou_heika »»
9 minutes ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone sci-fi + fantasy?

Donkunsan - 10 hours ago

9 by velvetnyan »»
10 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

70 by Pikmin404 »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.