Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
May 27, 2011 5:02 PM

Mar 2010
kuroraka said:
Here you can talk about all things related to anime's quiet big brother, like for example:

• what's your favourite manga (ever)?
  • what are you currently reading?
  • which manga should be turned into an anime?
  • which manga better shouldn't have been turned into an anime?
  • which three mangas would you want to be stuck on an island with?
  • i'm gonna stop before it gets to silly, but i think you get the point...

Anything goes as long as it's about manga!:D

Favorite Manga: Inu Yasha and Vampire Game
I just finished Snow Drop and Forbidden Dance. I'm not sure what to read next. I'm open for suggestions.
I would like to see Vampire Game and Snow Drop animated.
I didn't like the anime for Hana Yori Dango (Boys Over Flowers)
I'd like to be stuck on an island with Inu Yasha, Full Metal Alchemist, and Vampire Game. I never get tired of reading them.
Jun 17, 2011 2:50 AM

Dec 2008
I started "Mahou Shoujo Kazumi Magica - The Innocent Malice" which ties into the Madoka anime and the darkness of it, but so far it hasnt really done much for me (starting chap 3) and I may move across to the Madoka manga instead. I am also half heartedly reading the Kashimashi Manga, but dont have too much energy for it either.
May the Uguu be with you.

Jun 17, 2011 4:40 PM

Feb 2008
Recently finished a manga version of "Le Petit Prince" (Hoshi no Ooji-sama). No, it's not on my manga list here because the title isn't listed. I once tried to add a volume of a manga anthology to this site and it got turned down. Hence I typically don't bother adding entries for these little gems.
Jun 24, 2011 10:24 PM

Mar 2010
I'm currently reading Shiawase Kissa Sanchoume. It's cute and fairly funny. I'm also re-reading Rumic World Trilogy.
Jun 24, 2011 10:53 PM

Nov 2007
I'm been reading a bunch of rom-coms, then came across the Kampfer manga. First time I've seen a panty-fighter series use the Ranma 1/2 trick of having the guy and girl keep the same name.
Jun 26, 2011 1:37 PM

Dec 2008
Bought the final volume of Rasetsu yesterday. The series' creator, Chika Shiomi (who also created Canon and Yurara) is, in my mind, an underrated mangaka who writes highly interesting stories with supernatural themes starring strong willed heroines, and her art is downright delightful. If you haven't read any of her work, by all means, check it out!

May the DESU be with you! Always!
Jul 22, 2011 8:22 AM

Dec 2007
Anybody ever read Negative Happy Chainsaw Edge? The weird title was enough to make me look at it. I suppose it's really nothing incredible, and I had the whole thing pretty much figured out by chapter two except for a few tiny curveballs, but...for some reason it really endeared well, to me. Maybe it was just well told, or something.
Aug 5, 2011 12:45 PM

Nov 2007
Re-reading Negima. It's distracting me from a lot of anime I should be watching.
Aug 8, 2011 5:58 AM

Dec 2007
Re-reading? Did it ever end? I really enjoyed it, but...it was starting to become a little too epic, such that it was hard to keep up with. I think I left off somewhere around volume...18? Or was it 23...whichever one featured a humorous side chapter that had nothing to do with the main plot, where nobody spoke a single word.
Aug 8, 2011 10:45 AM

Nov 2007
Nope, it still hasn't ended, I had gotten up to chapter 210 something before. Can't remember the side chapter.
Aug 8, 2011 11:04 AM

Dec 2007
I'm not surprised you don't remember it, if the series is that long and still going! Some people like it when manga goes that long, but...I have to say that even when I do encounter a story I'd like to see last for a long time, it gets hard to keep up with when it goes that far.

Though, I suppose maybe the problem was that I was buying Negima in book format. Going to the store, coming up with the cash, yadda yadda....I mean, Hourou Musuko is up to chapter 99, and Kodomo no Jikan is up to 74, and I seem to be just fine with those. Electronic format and reading chapter by chapter instead of volume by volume seems a lot easier.

Though...at times it is a little hard to remember every single nuance of past plotline that characters sometimes refer to, when the story goes on for that long. I end up reading something and thinking, "wait, did that happen? Oh yeah, they talked about that for three pages 32 chapters ago!" Oi @_@
Aug 9, 2011 9:39 PM

Nov 2007
I don't mind the long series, as long as it has developments, although some of those are as unsettling as hoping they'd get off Gilligan's Island.

Well I do remember the episodes of The Adventures of Mini-Goddess where the VAs didn't talk at all!
Aug 10, 2011 6:00 AM

Dec 2007
Yeah well, that can be an effect of how strong the plot is, I suppose. A long series is fine....if the plot is strong enough to support it. I use Ranma 1/2 as an example. Back in the day when that was still just being released in the US, I remember following it liberally...until maybe somewhere around halfway through it, which was still well over 150 episodes. By then, it had just gotten too dry. Whatever else they came up with, the main theme was still Ranma and Akane getting together. By then, the whole "I hate you but I really like you" thing was getting really old. It's not that I don't like themes like that, but having it being done in the same setting with the same characters like that, is what eventually turned me off. But of course, if they were married, that would mean the end of the series. Just do it already and move on, yeesh @_@

Then Inu-Yasha came out. I think I stayed with that for...maybe fifteen issues of the American release of the comic book. Then it just started to feel like Ranma and Akane all over again.
Aug 11, 2011 7:25 PM

Nov 2007
Ranma 1/2’s the first series I thought about when it came to the Gilligan’s Island idea. At least with the current rom-coms, many of the main characters have hooked up with someone, even if it’s for a short-term story arc.

I forgot about Initial D! There’s a manga series you can read a whole chapter with hardly any dialogue in it, just stills of cars racing each other, and then get another chapter with tons of technical discussion.
Aug 23, 2011 12:32 PM

Dec 2007
Wow, talk about a diamond in the rough.

Read Hotel. It's only a 41 page one-shot. It's very worth it.
Sep 13, 2011 10:45 AM

Nov 2007
Reading B Gata H Kei, another silly ecchi rom-com like the Onii-chan one. I guess I like silly girls that have as little sense of relationships as the guys. Although these girls seem to be more ecchi than most. Are the anime versions any good?
AngusSep 13, 2011 10:49 AM
Sep 13, 2011 1:30 PM

Dec 2007
Isn't it fun when the girls either have just as little sense in relationships as the guys, or they're even more oversexed than the guys are? How refreshing XD
Sep 15, 2011 8:58 PM

Nov 2007
Yeah, usually in those stories, they're acting more like guys, but I'm enjoying the second part where Yamada starts trying to send vibes to the clueless guy. Although most of the time she's just bringing up something inappropriate for the punch line, and her friend's screaming to stop it, kind of like how Konata obsesses with her anime references in Lucky Star.
Sep 25, 2011 10:37 PM

Nov 2007
Scott Pilgrim's lumped in the manga section at the library. It's got some funny references our generation would understand.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2009/07/28/the-best-video-game-moments-in-scott-pilgrim/
AngusSep 25, 2011 10:41 PM
Sep 27, 2011 1:38 AM

Dec 2008
Codename Sailor V is in stores! Bought my copy at Barnes & Noble on Saturday!

Oct 1, 2011 7:15 AM

Aug 2006
Well, after much much debate, I have finally started reading Vinland Saga. I just had to, after hearing kuroraka and myth singing it's praises.

I'm only 1 volume in, but enjoying it immensely. Waiting to see what kuroraka meant by a 7 vol prologue. LOL

And yes, kuroraka, even after just 1 volume I want to hug Thorafinn and delouse him. I think I'm going to absolutely wind up adoring that boy.
Oct 1, 2011 9:18 AM

Feb 2007
Chelle said:
Well, after much much debate, I have finally started reading Vinland Saga. I just had to, after hearing kuroraka and myth singing it's praises.

I'm only 1 volume in, but enjoying it immensely. Waiting to see what kuroraka meant by a 7 vol prologue. LOL

And yes, kuroraka, even after just 1 volume I want to hug Thorafinn and delouse him. I think I'm going to absolutely wind up adoring that boy.

Cool. You are in for a fun ride!^^

As for Thorfinn, i didn't really like him that much in the beginning to be honest since i'm not a big fan of dumb, revenge-driven brats (my favourites were the badass Ojisan Askeladd and Thorkell!XD), but he grew on me by the end of the prologue and especially afterwards.
Oct 1, 2011 11:06 AM

Aug 2006
LOL. Well, I dunno about Askeladd. He definitely has his moments. But Thorkell is a ton of fun to read!!! Love him to pieces!! ^^ Probably my favorite character in this manga so far.

I'm gonna be depressed when I catch up then have to wait for new releases. LOL
Oct 1, 2011 11:18 AM

Feb 2007
Chelle said:
LOL. Well, I dunno about Askeladd. He definitely has his moments. But Thorkell is a ton of fun to read!!! Love him to pieces!! ^^ Probably my favorite character in this manga so far.

I'm gonna be depressed when I catch up then have to wait for new releases. LOL

You're gonna love Askeladd later, i promise no, i'm not biased at all...:P and Thorkell is just awesome...batshit crazy but awesome.XD

Then you should probably slow down, waiting for monthly releases is no fun.:(
Oct 1, 2011 11:45 AM

Aug 2006
kuroraka said:
Then you should probably slow down, waiting for monthly releases is no fun.:(

Yeah. I should. Easier said than done, though, when I'm enjoying it this much. LOL

I just finished up to the part where
(Just finished vol 6) Only going to get even more fun after this, I'm sure.
ChelleOct 1, 2011 11:49 AM
Oct 12, 2011 6:00 AM

Aug 2006
I have recently picked up and caught up with the current releases of Kuroshitsuji. All I have to say is... WOW!! What a difference from the anime.
Like my recent comments on Blue Exorcist, it seems that Kuroshitsuji, as well, somewhere went from a manga adaptation to an original anime. Now, I still love the anime. But if they could have done a proper manga adaptation, it would have been 10 times better.
As for Kuroshitsuji II, this is completely NEW and ORIGINAL material. Claude and Alois appear NOWHERE in the manga version.
So even as much as I loved to see that smexy demon butler Kuroshitsuji animated, I have to say I definitely prefer the manga version. ^^
Oct 30, 2011 11:35 AM

Nov 2007
Reading Kimi ni Todoke now. Cute shojo that reminds me of Fruits Basket mixed with Wallflower. I wonder how the anime paces with the volumes? There's also an author's note where they say parents like to read these with their daughters.

Also read Cowa! which is done by the guy who did Dragon Ball. Fun little volume.

Just in time for Halloween too.
AngusOct 30, 2011 11:41 AM
Dec 30, 2011 10:44 AM

Nov 2007
I've gotten through volume 10 of Kimi ni Todoke. It's an enjoyable rom-com; takes some time to figure out what the characters are saying instead of thinking since the author likes to run them in parallel. I wish Netflix or the local library would carry the anime series.
Feb 29, 2012 8:26 AM

Feb 2012
Right now I'm reading a few, but one notable one is Zombie Powder. I find this manga interesting. Good first work from the author/illustrator of Bleach.

One I HIGHLY recommend, though, is my favorite manga....Apollo's Game. A tragically sad tale that will keep you thinking long after you finish it.
Every minute you are thinking of evil, you might have been thinking of good instead. Refuse to pander to a morbid interest in your own misdeeds. Pick yourself up, be sorry, shake yourself, and go on again.
Evelyn Underhill

Mar 2, 2012 1:36 AM

Dec 2008
Angus said:
Reading Kimi ni Todoke now. Cute shojo that reminds me of Fruits Basket mixed with Wallflower. I wonder how the anime paces with the volumes? There's also an author's note where they say parents like to read these with their daughters.

While I'm currently watching the anime, I might check out the manga too.

Mar 4, 2012 4:47 AM

Jun 2008
Just read the one-shot doujin 6 Hours, 5 Minutes. It's only 5 pages long and not worth it. The girls aren't that cute.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Mar 4, 2012 10:13 AM

Feb 2012
I agree sbyrstall. Not only that, but the story was not really taken in any directions that could even make it remotely interesting. In its defense, though, I don't think we are in the demographic for said one-shot.
Every minute you are thinking of evil, you might have been thinking of good instead. Refuse to pander to a morbid interest in your own misdeeds. Pick yourself up, be sorry, shake yourself, and go on again.
Evelyn Underhill

Mar 4, 2012 12:14 PM

Jun 2008
xthedestroyer said:
I agree sbyrstall. Not only that, but the story was not really taken in any directions that could even make it remotely interesting. In its defense, though, I don't think we are in the demographic for said one-shot.

Well....their are a lot of men who find yuri very titillating as much as lesbians do. I'll stick with shounen, seinen. shojo and slice-of-lifes myself.

Mar 4, 2012 12:16 PM

Feb 2012
sbyrstall said:

Well....their are a lot of men who find yuri very titillating as much as lesbians do. I'll stick with shounen, seinen and slice-of-lifes myself.

By my statement, I meant age group, not gender. Sorry for being vague in my argument.
Evelyn Underhill

Mar 8, 2012 5:38 PM

Jun 2008
Mahou Sensei Negima! is coming to end. One more chapter to go. It was a fun run.

Mar 9, 2012 3:12 AM

Feb 2012
I recently Read the Deep Love series. Man, that was an excellent, excellent series of stories. But a lot of them were tragically sad, yet beautiful at the same time. I strongly suggest you all check them out. Start with Pao's Story.
Evelyn Underhill

Mar 10, 2012 8:42 AM

Oct 2008
Well, I love manga and own a collection of manga (which my mother thought a bunch of Doraemon manga... lol) My all time favourite manga is Fruits Basket. I could pick up any volume of Furuba and reading it to kill time.

I wouldn't say that I read a lot of manga... but I think I read enough that I don't read as much now than I did few years ago. And I have toned down a lot on trashy shoujo and cheesy yaoi. But no, I'm not planning to quit reading anytime soon, so feel free to check my lists: [Currently Reading], [Completed]. I'm slacking off lately... I know.

I'm currently enjoying a manga called Futago and have just finished reading Hagoromo Mishin few minutes ago. I'm up to any suggestion especially short volumes (must not span tens of volumes.. coz I'm such a chronic procrastinator), completely scanlated would be much appreciated and I'd prefer josei/seinen. Thanks in advance!
Mar 11, 2012 5:46 PM

Apr 2009
sbyrstall said:
Mahou Sensei Negima! is coming to end. One more chapter to go. It was a fun run.

Overall, I enjoyed this manga. It got much better when they backed off on the fan service. But the end was slightly disappointing.
- Jim

Mar 12, 2012 11:11 AM

Nov 2007
What? It's ending?! Wow, I need to get back on that.
Mar 12, 2012 7:18 PM

Apr 2009
Angus said:
What? It's ending?! Wow, I need to get back on that.

Yup, ch 355 is the last. But the story pretty much ends at ch 354.
- Jim

Mar 13, 2012 6:17 PM

Jun 2008
jimgmoreno said:
sbyrstall said:

Overall, I enjoyed this manga. It got much better when they backed off on the fan service. But the end was slightly disappointing.

Slightly?? There were so many plot holes left to fill...as well as what the heck happened during the time skip. DOH!!

Mar 13, 2012 8:18 PM

Apr 2009
sbyrstall said:
jimgmoreno said:
sbyrstall said:

Slightly?? There were so many plot holes left to fill...as well as what the heck happened during the time skip. DOH!!

Yeah, the kind of cheated on the time skip...

I just think it could have been worse. I mean, did you watch the anime?
- Jim

Mar 14, 2012 5:41 PM

Jun 2008
jimgmoreno said:
sbyrstall said:
jimgmoreno said:
sbyrstall said:

Yeah, the kind of cheated on the time skip...

I just think it could have been worse. I mean, did you watch the anime?

God yes...we'll half of the series (still not good). At least the OVAs were good and kept closer to the manga.

Jan 13, 2013 6:16 PM

Aug 2006
Everyone needs to read Karenval!!! It has become one of my favorites!!

Needless to say I'm thrilled that they're making this manga into an anime to be aired this Spring!! I'm sooo excited. Not to mention that 3 of the 5 seiyuu I have listed on my profile favorites will be in the cast!!! *fangirl squees*

Definitely an I WILL WATCH anime... and the manga... y'all should be reading it!!! That is all!!!
Mar 29, 2013 11:38 PM

Dec 2011
what's your favourite manga (ever)?
what are you currently reading?
which manga should be turned into an anime?
which manga better shouldn't have been turned into an anime?
which three mangas would you want to be stuck on an island with?

My favorite manga ever would have to be Appleseed by Masamune Shirow. One of the first manga I ever read, it has everything; hot chicks, realistic battles, socio-political exploration, post-apocalyptic sci-fi setting, attention to detail, colorful characters, moral and ethical quandaries, stand-alone volumes that use differing storytelling styles (written at different times throughout Shirow’s career so you can see his style evolving), and more…..

I have 108 titles that I’m currently reading, 73 of which are currently publishing. Of course, I have to wait for the translations, some of which come infrequently. If I was focus on only the ones I’m most enjoying right now the list would look something like this…
• Yotsubato! – The wonder!
• Oyasumi Punpun – Ridiculous reality painfully presented.
• Akagami no Shirayuki-hime – A strong girl trying to find her place in society.
• One Punch-Man – Such an excellent satire of manga and American comics.
• Spotted Flower – Conflicting personalities working towards a common goal (plus I like babies).
• Ran to Haiiro no Sekai – I like her characters and themes
• Abnormal-kei Joushi – Unusual? Extreme?
• The Voynich Hotel – Extreme characters in a slice-of-life story.

What makes an anime good usually has little to do with what makes a manga good. I tend to prefer original stories to adaptations. A few titles I think were strong in both mediums are…
• Byousoku 5 Centimeter
• Planetes
• Ghost in the Shell
• Bungaku Shoujo
• B Gata H Kei
• School Rumble
• Lovely★Complex

On a deserted island I would want Appleseed, Yotsubato!, and Ai-Ren.

I just finished reading Nodame Cantabile. I watched the anime about a year ago and liked it well enough. I remembered it as a nice character driven romance that didn’t have too many overused clichés. I was expecting a story so focused on classical music to have lots of music in it but, it didn’t really have that much. Now that I’ve read the manga I realize they were being true to the source material. While I prefer characters who are normal people instead of elites of some kind, the characters in Nodame Cantabile were presented as flawed individuals in spite of their musical genius. If you like slice-of-life or romance it’s worth the read. I gave it a 7/10 because I never got bored during 146 chapters, even though I’d seen all 3 seasons of the anime.
ashadowalkerApr 5, 2013 8:40 PM
Mar 30, 2013 12:02 PM

Nov 2007
My favorites are those oldie rom-coms like Ranma 1/2 and Oh My Goddess. I've been checking those out from the library some time after Al Gore invented the Internet.

Among more recent stuff, I enjoy Kami Nomi (The world god only knows), Fairy Tail, and will pick up random rom-coms more often than anime episodes. 20th century boys was my most recent favorite page turner.

I'll read anything from Mizuki Kawashita (Ichigo 100%) and hope she's doing another series soon.
Mar 30, 2013 1:02 PM

Apr 2009
For completed my favorites include Chobits, Love Hina, Aria, Chotto Sister, Kashimashi and most recently the manhwa Unbalance x Unbalance.

As for ones currently running I would pick Kimi ni Todoke, KissxSis, Hourou Musuko, Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu, Ah! My Goddess!, Aoi Hana, Koi Neko, Kodomo no Jikan (which is almost finished), Nozoki Ana (which will finish soon), Onii-chan no Koto nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne!!, Nazo no Kanojo X, and Sasameki Koto (which is finished but I am still waiting for the second last chapter to be scanlated before I finish it).
Apr 14, 2013 1:28 PM

Apr 2009
Finally! The last few chapters of Sasameki Koto finally got scanlated. It was so frustrating having the last chapter scanlated and not being able to read it until the previous 7 came out. I'm really happy with this story, getting into it because of superficial similarities to Aoi Hana, and now it's probably one of my all time favorites.
Apr 19, 2013 9:27 PM

Apr 2009
And I finished Prunus Girl, which may or may not be a shounen ai story about a guy who crossdresses. Despite the premise, and the focus on comedy it's a really good story and well worth reading.
Apr 20, 2013 10:17 AM

Apr 2013
what's your favourite manga (ever)?
Well there are a lot of titles I like, but a few of my favorites are:
Fullmetal Alchemist: I just finished it and it's become one of my favorites. It has everything you could want in a story.
Yotsubato!: I love slice of life comedies. The unconventional father and oddball daughter pair makes for a lot of laughs. Still waiting for Volume 12.
Azumanga Daioh: Another comedy that I adore. I usually whip out a volume of this manga if I'm feeling down.
Ouran High School Host Club: Suoh Tamaki is one of my all time favorite manga/anime characters and when he and Haruhi are together it's always amusing. Love the entire cast of characters and the story ends on such a lovely note.
Hellsing: I'm not much for horror/gore, but somehow I love Hellsing. I think it's because Hirano tied in a lot of historical references when fleshing out the story and characters.
Death Note: Great series with a plot that really sets it apart.

what are you currently reading?
I'm reading Black Butler, Yotsubato!, and Drifters. Still waiting on new volumes for Black Butler and Yotsubato! and who knows when Hirano will draw more chapters for Drifters. I'm also following Naruto as it unfolds and I'll be starting Bleach soon.

which manga should be turned into an anime?
Yotsubato! I think it would do well in a similar format as Azumanga Daioh. I would love to see Yotsuba's antics animated.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Discuss the Series You Just Finished ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Chelle - Jul 27, 2009

2863 by 23feanor »»
2 hours ago

» Kobato (2009) - April 2024 Group Watch

23feanor - Apr 2

28 by 23feanor »»
2 hours ago

» Anime with adult main characters

zubby - Nov 30, 2023

5 by Angus »»
Apr 14, 2:05 PM

Sticky: » New Member Introductions ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Chelle - Oct 3, 2009

832 by Anim3Punk »»
Apr 10, 6:39 PM

» Lupin III: Part 5 (2018) - March 2024 Group Watch

23feanor - Mar 8

49 by 23feanor »»
Apr 3, 2:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.