MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Let's Talk Manga!
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Club Discussion »» MAL: The Later Years »» Let's Talk Manga!

Must be a Club Member to Reply
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
01-11-10, 5:25 AM

Here you can talk about all things related to anime's quiet big brother, like for example:

• what's your favourite manga (ever)?
  • what are you currently reading?
  • which manga should be turned into an anime?
  • which manga better shouldn't have been turned into an anime?
  • which three mangas would you want to be stuck on an island with?
  • i'm gonna stop before it gets to silly, but i think you get the point...

Anything goes as long as it's about manga!:D

01-11-10, 5:45 AM

Alright, gonna get this started...my favourite manga series i'm currently reading is Vinland Saga by Yukimura Makoto (some of you might know him from Planetes which i didn't like at all, funnily enough).

Vinland Saga features some of my favourite things like Vikings, history, politics and cool old dudes. The level of violence might not be to everyone's taste, but well, it IS about Vikings...the art is gorgeous and very detailed, the plot is epic - the prologue alone took 7 volumes - and there is no simple black or white/good or bad characterization.

There are currently 60 chapters, the series is being published in a monthly magazine, scanlations are easy to find.

And i would love to see this animated, btw. Though i doubt that will happen any time soon.

01-11-10, 6:32 AM

Vinland Saga is incredible. Who knew it was possible that a Japanese mangaka would write my favorite Viking story! Up until recently it reminded me a bit of a Norse Lone Wolf & Cub - my favorite all-time Manga - but now it's going it a direction away from the pure revenge storyline it started with. It's been a nice twist and change of pace lately with Thorfin dealing with

01-11-10, 6:48 AM

Only mangas I have our essentially downloads. I have a friend though that has a quite considerable collection. But they're all more or less classic series in anime.

Sailormoon, Ranma, Urusei Yatsura, Maison Ikkoku that sort of stuff. Not sure how aggressive he's been in more recent years.

I'm into almost any manga, but I suppose I like manga that is either based off the anime I watch, or the source of the anime I watch.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.

01-11-10, 7:31 AM

AccipiterF1 said:
Vinland Saga is incredible. Who knew it was possible that a Japanese mangaka would write my favorite Viking story! Up until recently it reminded me a bit of a Norse Lone Wolf & Cub - my favorite all-time Manga - but now it's going it a direction away from the pure revenge storyline it started with.

Yeah, and i for one hope it stays away. I sure hope it won't become the main focus again at the very least.
But i miss Canute and Thorkell, i hope we're gonna see them again sooner or later!

Glad to find another fan here, this manga deserves more attention!:D

01-11-10, 8:06 AM

Sukunai said:
Only mangas I have our essentially downloads. I have a friend though that has a quite considerable collection. But they're all more or less classic series in anime.

Sailormoon, Ranma, Urusei Yatsura, Maison Ikkoku that sort of stuff. Not sure how aggressive he's been in more recent years.

I'm into almost any manga, but I suppose I like manga that is either based off the anime I watch, or the source of the anime I watch.

I download a lot as well. I still buy a lot, but not as much as i used to because i've been disappointed more than once and i'm not willing to pay good money for bad print and translation quality anymore...

There are some series where i only read the manga or only watch the anime but i usually like to compare both and i usually enjoy both. So I'm very much an anime & manga and not an anime vs. manga person!:)

01-11-10, 8:28 AM

Favorite manga- Maison Ikkoku and Fullmetal Alchemist. Both are very different, but outstanding in the way that they present believable, well rounded characters in a three dimensional world. Ikkoku is all about the emotion of love and loss and growing into adulthood, while FMA is a flat out thrilling epic in a fully realized world dealing with themes like sacrifice, revenge, guilt, and does so in a way that is not insulting to the audience.

Both series have so many characters that are so well written.

Currently reading- FMA and Monster. Monster is another series that I've only just started, but really respects your intelligence.

01-11-10, 8:29 AM

I am a reader by nature, and really started reading Manga before watching anime, but the problem in South Africa is that you start a series and you never get to finish it as the volumes just dry up and you dont get them, and if you do they end up costing the same a the GDP of a small country.
Oddly enough the one manga that dissapointed me was Azumanga Daioh, it was only when I saw the anime that I realised what brilliance was lurking in the series. I never finished most of the managa I started, but with DL's I can finally try complete the series I never finished.
I miss manga because its very hard to lay in bed with a computer monitor on your chest!

May the Uguu be with you.

01-11-10, 8:31 AM

This may come off really computer illiterate (which I am not, I swear),But DLed mangas are scans right? Just need a image viewer for them?
I own one manga, Bakaretsu Hunters, Volume 1, bought it a long time ago (love the anime btw, has the greatest female seiyu in it). Other than that I have never delved into the print art.

01-11-10, 9:03 AM

ArnoldK said:
Favorite manga- Maison Ikkoku and Fullmetal Alchemist. Both are very different, but outstanding in the way that they present believable, well rounded characters in a three dimensional world. Ikkoku is all about the emotion of love and loss and growing into adulthood, while FMA is a flat out thrilling epic in a fully realized world dealing with themes like sacrifice, revenge, guilt, and does so in a way that is not insulting to the audience.

Both series have so many characters that are so well written.

Currently reading- FMA and Monster. Monster is another series that I've only just started, but really respects your intelligence.

Oooh, i complete agree on FMA! It's been getting so exciting lately, the tension is almost killing me.

Monster is one of those series which have been forever on my 'stuff to read/watch'-list. I really need to find the time for that one soon since i've only ever heard good things about it.

01-11-10, 9:06 AM

Hakujou said:
This may come off really computer illiterate (which I am not, I swear),But DLed mangas are scans right? Just need a image viewer for them?

Yup, exactly.

Hakujou said:
I own one manga, Bakaretsu Hunters, Volume 1, bought it a long time ago (love the anime btw, has the greatest female seiyu in it). Other than that I have never delved into the print art.

Thinking about your lonely volume of manga kinda makes me sad...;)

01-11-10, 9:14 AM

nixops said:
I am a reader by nature, and really started reading Manga before watching anime, but the problem in South Africa is that you start a series and you never get to finish it as the volumes just dry up and you dont get them, and if you do they end up costing the same a the GDP of a small country.

I know what you're talking about! There's been this manga boom in the nineties and early 00s in Europe and the US and lots of series got licensed, but then there came miscalculations and the financial meldtdown and now i'm still waiting for the next volumes of From Eroica With Love or Song Of The Hanging Sky which are both good series but obviously don't sell well...

01-11-10, 1:03 PM

Favorite manga: Cardcaptor Sakura

What I'm Currently Reading (in alphabetical order): Gentlemen's Alliance, High School Debut, Karakuri Odette, Kimikiss, Maid-Sama, Maria Holic, Oh My Goddess, Princess Resurrection, Rasetsu, Rosario+Vampire, Skip-Beat, St. Dragon Girl, Ultimate Venus, Vampire Knight, Venus Versus Virus, Yotsuba (WHEW!)

Which Three Mangas Would You Want To Be Stuck On An Island With: Cardcaptor Sakura, Fushigi Yugi, Video Girl Ai

I'm not at all ashamed to admit I enjoy shoujo stuff which I find utterly fascinating. Even though I'm usually quite busy, I find time to read, often at night before bed.

May the DESU be with you! Always!

01-11-10, 4:50 PM

Unfortunately two of my favorite mangas at the moment are on Hiatus... Nana and Yami No Matsuei... I am also a huge fan of D. Gray-man.

As far as mangakas go though, my favorites are probably Watase Yuu and Kaori Yuki. Honestly I really just read most things that are Shoujo though.

01-12-10, 8:53 AM

PhillyFlash said:

I'm not at all ashamed to admit I enjoy shoujo stuff which I find utterly fascinating. Even though I'm usually quite busy, I find time to read, often at night before bed.

Ahaha, it's the same for me with shounen or seinen. I can overlook a lot of the typical stereotypes in those genres but i have a very low tolerance when it comes to shoujo.

01-12-10, 8:57 AM

Xannieh said:
Unfortunately two of my favorite mangas at the moment are on Hiatus... Nana and Yami No Matsuei... I am also a huge fan of D. Gray-man.

As far as mangakas go though, my favorites are probably Watase Yuu and Kaori Yuki. Honestly I really just read most things that are Shoujo though.

Oooh, i love Nana and i loved YnM before the style changed so much.

Kaori Yuki is definetely one of my favourite shoujo mangakas, Angel Sanctuary was one of the first longer series i've read.

01-24-10, 8:40 AM

Here's a Manga rec for you Mushishi fans. The author of said manga, Yuki Urushibara, has stated a new one called WATERS about a girl who slips between the modern world an a mysterious village seemingly from the past with connections to her family. It's a new serilization so there are only 3 chapters out so far, but it's being scanlated in a timely fashion by the group HOX.
Modified by AccipiterF1, 01-24-10, 8:44 AM

01-24-10, 9:06 AM

Xannieh said:

Yuu Watase is one of my favorites too, her masterwork, Fushigi Yugi I've read several times, ditto for the anime it was spawned from. Another fave is Masakazu Katsura (Video Girl Ai, I's) who, for my money, draws the most babelicious girls in manga. Next is Chika Shiomi (Canon, Yurara, Rasetsu) who crafts darn good shoujo stories with supernatural themes.

May the DESU be with you! Always!

01-24-10, 9:10 AM

@ Accipeter

Waters sounds a lot like InuYasha.
The truth is out there. The lies are in your head ...
the-geek-show-default-slide-a.jpg

01-24-10, 9:17 AM

AccipiterF1 said:
Here's a Manga rec for you Mushishi fans. The author of said manga, Yuki Urushibara, has stated a new one called WATERS about a girl who slips between the modern world an a mysterious village seemingly from the past with connections to her family. It's a new serilization so there are only 3 chapters out so far, but it's being scanlated in a timely fashion by the group HOX.

Oh yes, that one looks really promising and i just love the art of this mangaka!

Speaking of Hox, everyone with any interest in not-exactly-mainstream manga should check out their projects, there are a lot of hidden gems.

Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices