Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Dec 3, 2007 12:43 AM

Nov 2007
Rinrinmaru said:
Oh yes, clearly Neon Genesis Evangelion was meant only for little kiddies to enjoy ~

Lol, I thought the movie was great too. Now I'm just hoping for 5cm to come out soon :D

Lets not forget Elfen Lied o.O

I REALLY loved this! Quite different from ur Miyazakis and Yoshiuras (who are both awsome ;_;) which is good, just for a change.
I guess i'm saying that it's quite refreshing.. <3
Nyoro~n! :3
Dec 7, 2007 12:05 AM

Oct 2007
Awesome movie! Simply amazing...

Gotta love the insert song... it fits perfectly for the mood. The first, the middle and the last part... it was all wonderful.

EDITED: BTW, does anyone know where to get that insert song? I only have the ending. If anyone has it, can you pm me. Thnx ^_^
RweckDec 7, 2007 8:23 AM

Dec 9, 2007 4:01 PM
Sep 2007
this was a great movie but i wanted a little more romance at the end! im mean come on it had the whole "wait for me" thing going there! i mean in the future how old is she like 50? and hes still gonna be 17 COME ON! still one of the better movies of 06
Dec 12, 2007 7:47 AM
Mar 2007
Agreed. It was a fantastic movie, but I was also a bit disappointed with the end. I was also like "CHIAKI! YOU MISSED! DX", but overall, I still give it a 10/10 <3.
Dec 22, 2007 11:16 AM

Mar 2007
This movie was amazing. I love it.
The ending was a little disappointing, though.
10/10 of course.
Dec 30, 2007 6:19 PM

Mar 2007
I loved... loved... LOVED this movie! A work of art!

The moment when Chiaki stops time to save Kensuke... OMG... I swear my heart stopped. As soon as I saw Chiaki I started crying.

10/10! T_T
Dec 31, 2007 11:00 AM
Dec 2007
Dang, I wept but i was disappointed at the end...

can someone explain the ending?

Why of all time, she chose that? it's much better if she went back on the time when chiaki asked her on a date
raphy_angeloDec 31, 2007 11:28 AM
Jan 5, 2008 5:22 AM
Jan 2008
I regisistered an account just to post this...

Had alot of questions regarding the movie...since i felt the were couple of loopholes or maybe suggestive ideas in the film. Maybe u ppl might wanna think abt it...

1) The Ending "I'll Wait for u in the future..." by Chiaki send this movie straight into the pit in my opinion...the effect had more rather puzzled and confused inquisitive viewer than to leave a "cool" effect.

2) Chiaki wanting to see the picture. What was the picture he was talking abt? Unexplained. Bad. It gives me the idea that he just didnt know why he time-transferred and it shouldn't have been shown at all.

3) Makoto's Aunt. This woman gives off the greatest mystery abt her...often she will say things like as if she knew what happened...and if u watched closely...it's kind of like she's not affected by the time-reversals and can reply with much ease.

4)Yuri's "Time Waits for no one..." This scene made me think and think...if the sole effect of this was to emphasize on the idea makoto had gone thru i would have been disappointed...coz she obviously only last seen makoto abt 5mins ago before makoto went on her time-leaping adventure...therefore the sudden outburst of that sentence, wasn't appropriate.

My Ideas :

(point 1&2)
The only way i could really see this 2 points as being relevant is tt chiaki in the future actually idolizes Makoto's work of restoration of art pieces...as we know from the story when makoto promised to restore the picture. He idolizes her work so much that he decided to time-travel in order to meet her in person. Therefor "I'll wait for u in the future" could mean he's gonna c her work in the future...

Worst Case Scenario - Makoto...becomes Chiaki's grandma or sth...maybe mother...but tt would be sick...pointless to mention since many touch on abt the romance in the story...XD

(point 3&4)
Makoto's Aunt and Yuri are extremely possible to be able to time-travel as well...so they basically know whats going on...it'll be even more interesting that they are in fact time-keepers of the era...

But basically just to mention...I was attracted to this show while i was working in a cinema...this cinema had a big screen for showing trailers and whenever Toki wo kakeru no shoujo's trailer comes out, the music would capture my attention and send goosepimples down my body(powerful music...had in in my mp3 player ever since i heard it)...i wonder if anyone would know where to get the released trailer version for singapore...
Jan 5, 2008 10:37 AM

Aug 2007

2) Chiaki wanting to see the picture. What was the picture he was talking abt? Unexplained. Bad. It gives me the idea that he just didnt know why he time-transferred and it shouldn't have been shown at all.

It was the picture the Aunt was restoring. You end up seeing it. :)
Jan 6, 2008 2:42 PM

Oct 2007
"3) Makoto's Aunt. This woman gives off the greatest mystery abt her...often she will say things like as if she knew what happened...and if u watched closely...it's kind of like she's not affected by the time-reversals and can reply with much ease."

she's the hero of the book this manga is a sequel of,so she did some time traveling in her younger days.
all for fun.fun for all
Jan 8, 2008 9:32 AM
Oct 2007
Not bad, not bad, but far from 'the best'. However animation is top notch.
Jan 14, 2008 8:32 AM

Aug 2007
Very good film, but ending sux.If in future, people live underground (Chiaki said that he never saw a river on earth), that means that this must be very far future. I don't think that they will ever met each other :/
Jan 20, 2008 4:02 PM

Aug 2007
Its hope that makes you walk forward. If you understand that maybe you will see the ending in some other way :) at least i saw.
Jan 22, 2008 12:21 PM

Dec 2007
Very good movie, I enjoyed it.
I liked how Auntie Witch went through a similar experience(At least I think so, since she said she once fell in love with someone in highschool) idk it was great.
Jan 29, 2008 9:40 AM
Nov 2007
My personal 1st place anime movie!!!
I got more and more surprised minute for minute due watching, that it was THAT AWESOME!

U cant even compare this movie to Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke. Its completely outstanding. But dont ask me why, i dont know it my self, i just felt it.

Just lean back and watch. If not i will come to your homes and force u to watch!! :D
Feb 3, 2008 2:23 PM

Aug 2007
damn... I just watched this film with my friends and I must say.. I love this film.

haha was funny though...
my stomach rumbled when Makoto was eating the pudding!
D:
Feb 8, 2008 6:43 PM

Nov 2007
I think i've seen scenes from this movie before. Like in the begining when she couldn't stop her bike and went over the caution line. But anyway this was a great movie. 9/10. I wish they had shown what happened after the end. <(^ - ^ )>
Feb 13, 2008 7:42 AM

Dec 2007
Simply a masterpiece ! 10/10
Feb 13, 2008 1:38 PM

Nov 2007
I really love the most part of the movie. The only thing that I don't like was the ending (seems little bit cliche). Overall, 9/10 for me.
Feb 14, 2008 7:29 PM
Feb 2008
Ahhh I am sorely disappointed there aren't more Movies like this.
Don't you ever wish you could erase your memory of watching it so that you can watch it again and again while still being surprised by the ending every time?? I do.
Feb 15, 2008 8:18 AM

Sep 2007
this is a good movie ♥ well uhm one of my fav. anime quotes is here it is in the ending part "i'll be waiting in the future"

[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/_Haru&sclick=1]
Feb 15, 2008 1:41 PM

Mar 2007
rh1ngo said:
this is a good movie ♥ well uhm one of my fav. anime quotes is here it is in the ending part "i'll be waiting in the future"

Mine too!!! T_T
Feb 17, 2008 2:44 PM

Oct 2007
i JUST watched this movie. it was absolutely amazing. i bawled and bawled my eyes out. best movie ever T__T <3
Mar 7, 2008 9:18 AM

Jan 2008
I wonder if Makoto's aunt fell in love with Chiaki when she was younger, which would make the scene where we got a close-up of her old photo more relavent, considering the face of the dude on the left is blanked out? My memory's vague so I dont know if it looked anything like Chiaki, but it would be really interesting if so, and might even make Chiaki a more ambigious figure. Consider this: he's so intent on getting this painting restored so he keeps going back in time to convince impressionable young girls to continue the restoration, lol.

Anyway, really great film. Avoided a lot of cliches as best as it could along the way, I was really dreading a love triangle and was relieved when the story didnt resort to one. Amazing animation, loved the subtle body language.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Mar 13, 2008 11:50 PM

Feb 2008
loved it,

really loved her aunt's line about her Sunday, rofl.
and her aunt in general really.
jacobpaigeMar 13, 2008 11:56 PM
Mar 23, 2008 9:33 PM

Jan 2008
Just finished this movie. Wow, it was pure brilliance.

There are a few details that are headachey if I think too hard about them (mostly about the time-travel aspects) but if I don't delve too deep it really doesn't bother me. This film was just astounding, I haven't been that moved over something in a long time. It just drew emotions right out of me. I'm not one to get all teary-eyed over a movie, but I admit I was crying towards the end of this one.

I think I might have to go read the manga some people are mentioning. I still don't get a few things that are probably explained there.

Oh, and is there an english dub of this? And if so is it any good? I love the Japanese one, but my boyfriend hates reading subtitles for long periods of time and I'd really like him to watch this. So I was hoping if someone could tell me if the dub's good.
Mar 28, 2008 5:46 AM

Feb 2008
I've just seen it and it's awesome.

Though, I didn't get couple of things, like when she said how now she knows what she wants to do, at first I thought that she wants to restore paintings like her aunt so she can keep that one for Chiaki, but that one's already restored by her aunt and she's only interested in one painting so it doesn't make sense for her to do restoring for the rest of her life.

What would give meaning to his last words, and her comment that she knows what she wants to do is if she's in fact the one who makes time traveling devices. That way she could stay young forever and meet him in the future.

Wow. I really don't have a life.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 28, 2008 5:48 AM

Jan 2008
sanjica said:
What would give meaning to his last words, and her comment that she knows what she wants to do is if she's in fact the one who makes time traveling devices. That way she could stay young forever and meet him in the future.

Wow. I really don't have a life.

Ah, thats actually interesting, especially if he knew she would all along. Although I cant imagine such a ditzy character inventing time travel to be honest. Plus as has already been mentioned, it sounded like he's from the far future...
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Apr 5, 2008 5:30 PM

Aug 2007
Probably the best anime movie I have ever seen. 10/10
Apr 9, 2008 5:49 PM

Jan 2008
Overall I enjoyed this film, however too many unanswered questions remained at the end for me to give it a 9 or 10. Therefore it gets a solid 8.

My first thoughts at the end were "wow, that's depressing. Makoto realizes her love for Chiaki but whoops, too late. He's heading back to future so, have a good life and forget about that."

But then I thought, "oh wait. Chiaki could probably come back and see Makoto again and maybe even stay for good next time. Now that's a happy thought, what a great movie!"

But still. Chiaki had been waiting around specifically to see that painting. After he used his last charge to save Kousuke he said he would disappear. Time cops or something. This caused Mokota to leap back which restored Kousuke's final charge. At this point, I do not understand why he immediately left? He still could have waited around to see the painting, or just hang out with Makoto and Kousuke. If he was still going to be in trouble for making time traveling mistakes what did the one charge even matter? He still disappears in the end.

Like I said "a solid 8."
Apr 9, 2008 5:56 PM

Jan 2008
gaj713 said:
Overall I enjoyed this film, however too many unanswered questions remained at the end for me to give it a 9 or 10. Therefore it gets a solid 8.

What about other aspects like direction, music, animation, editing? Regardless of the complexities of the plot leaving you a bit confused, this film deserves a high rating simply for being a really well made film.

But still. Chiaki had been waiting around specifically to see that painting. After he used his last charge to save Kousuke he said he would disappear. Time cops or something. This caused Mokota to leap back which restored Kousuke's final charge. At this point, I do not understand why he immediately left? He still could have waited around to see the painting, or just hang out with Makoto and Kousuke. If he was still going to be in trouble for making time traveling mistakes what did the one charge even matter? He still disappears in the end.

I think the restoration of the painting is meant to take many years, and his purpose was to ensure it would be restored in the first place, for future generations. He only stuck around out of a selfish desire to be around two people he became friends with. He didnt travel back just to take a peek at the painting, he knows its a long process, both due to practicality but also beaurocracy, he cant hang around for it. (its actually quicker to see it by going forward in time again obviously) Which is why Makoto's sister has had experience with time travelling person herself, I'm telling ya, this Chiaki fella is a playa. He just manipulates girls to get this painting found and fixed. He's basically recruited another girl to continue the restoration by the end of the film. ¬_¬

Or something. My memory of the film is vague. At 2am anyway. (btw I'm being both humurous and semi-serious in my theory)
Apr 12, 2008 2:55 AM

Jun 2007
Just rewatched the movie, I gave it a 9 the first time I watched it because I had really crappy-terrible subs, but just downloaded a new one and had to give the movie a 10!
Apr 15, 2008 1:13 PM

Dec 2007
It starts slowly, I was wondering where it goes... but after a few minutes, I really was in the movie! The characters, the OST, the story... that was really good and sad sometimes, with some funny moments too (thanks to makoto-chan lol) ^^

You finish with a smile upon your face at the End of the movie... and it's all that matters!

Very good movie, every one that like that kind of story should love it!

This is my own Claymore Website :
www.claymore-world.com
Enjoy and Leave comments!
Apr 15, 2008 4:34 PM

Aug 2007
Finally got around to watch this even though I had it for a while. I enjoyed it and I loved the music along with the animation..
Apr 18, 2008 8:42 AM

Mar 2008
this film was soooo gd!! soooo funny! a brilliant film, ive watchd it so many time, cheers me up!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 30, 2008 6:36 AM

Feb 2008
One of the best plots ever is the time-travelling. It's really one of the most HARD way to explain or make a story. That's why if someone can make a story of time-travelling, it would be just too hard to understand.

Moreover, if the time-traveller see his future/past self, it would be just really not going to be understandable.

But if the time-traveller just be with other persons, 2nd persons; it would be just easy, just affecting the background aspects. ^^

This would be a masterpiece 10/10 if only it didn't disappoint me in the ending. Although, the ending is beautifully done; I didn't like that ending to happen. Also, because it's a bit of confusing and not like it ended properly. Thinking that it must have just like more 10mins to further explain and expand the story.

Well then, I'm giving this a 9/10 ^_^

Great movie!
May 7, 2008 10:33 AM

Mar 2008
TWKS is a really good film, everyone should watch it.
My favourite scenes are Makoto's time leap scenes. Hour wheels, numbers etc... I gave 9/10 because it has a complicated ending O_o
May 9, 2008 8:28 PM

Jan 2008
A solid 10/10.
Jun 4, 2008 6:48 AM

Nov 2007
Am I right in thinking that makoto's aunt went through the same thing with chiaki, they zoomed in on the picture and that was him right? Haven't seen the live action movie yet but I'm assuming it involves chiaki and makoto's aunt?
Jul 5, 2008 12:17 AM

Apr 2008
Love it. I love sad endings.
10/10
Jul 17, 2008 2:05 PM

Feb 2008
I was really skeptical when I started watching, but this really was a great film and surprisingly moving. I've never really liked time travel as a device, but they worked it in here very smoothly and elegantly (no wacky trips; reality is still pretty much the same). Very cruel to the viewer though. ;_; How many times can we watch him leave her? It's a love through the ages story or timeless love, kind of like The Lake House, Love in the Time of Cholera, Walk to Remember, etc.
Jul 28, 2008 4:32 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
ekk i'm so confused. great animation. everyone says the music was great but I honestly didn't even notice it. i guess i was just too amazed at the animation. the story was very good too. I wish the ending explained more. i hate it when animes/mangas/whatever leave you confused or with a cliffhanger. esp when it's romance. you can't help but want them to end up together!! grrr. i think part of the problem is that there are just too many versions of this idea/story. every time they remake it into a new movie/anime/manga/whatever it just confuses us even more. ppl have to remember that the directors are not necessarily making a sequel to the previous one, they're just doing their own take on it. ...which sucks for us :P
p r o f i l e đź‘€
Aug 16, 2008 5:51 PM

Jun 2008
Omg, I don't know why I haven't seen this movie before! I'm still in tears, I'm not ashamed to have bawled my eyes out. Thanks, this board made my day. The movie was amazing, definately had me on the edge of my seat. I'm so emotional, I cried about 4 times, T____T. The aunt, to my understanding is like an alter ego? I'll do my research, and see what I find. <333'd this movie, thanks.

After, reading everyone else's inner thoughts, scratch the alter ego theory, I agree with Cihan, c;<3
KitteniaAug 16, 2008 5:56 PM
Aug 16, 2008 9:13 PM

Dec 2007
i didnt get the ending, at all! still a good movie, really, gave it a 9. gonna think about the ending for a while, then the score may change to an 8 >.<.. but really, did anyone get the ending? that chiaki would be a pimp that recruits girls to keep his painting safe throughout history up to his time feels kinda weird, im not gonna accept that :P.. but he said that they would meet in the future, but i dont really get that line as makoto tells him that she cant time travel anymore and surely he cant expect them to meet when she is like 90 or so.. that she would invent time travel aint very likely i think, i mean, she isnt that smart to begin with and even if she did, how is she supposed to find chiaki in his time? as he said they'll meet in the future, that means he aint going back to her time again. what i dont understand is why he just dont go and get some charges and give them to makoto so they both can go to the future, heh.. seems like you could do that anyway. gaah, its 06,30, cant think clearly anymore and my head is spinning, im going to bed ^^
Aug 17, 2008 8:45 AM

Jun 2008
brazan90 said:
i didnt get the ending, but he said that they would meet in the future, but i dont really get that line as makoto tells him that she cant time travel anymore and surely he cant expect them to meet when she is like 90 or so

To my understanding, I believe he meant seeing and waiting for her accomplishement, that would be the painting. It's most likely as others have stated before, he's obviously done this before, going back in time and making sure the painting is safe, restored, preserved, etc. Technically speaking, he won't be able to "see" her, yet he'll see her success. Quoting Cihan, "He just manipulates girls to get this painting found and fixed. He's basically recruited another girl to continue the restoration by the end of the film." Refer to the very first post, I think that's a nice explanation.
Aug 28, 2008 10:12 AM
May 2008
just became one of my favorite films, happy ending or not.
Sep 1, 2008 12:13 AM

Aug 2007
Great concept, great OST, but what an annoying protagonist. The antics of Makoto, while loveable and comedic, ruined the experience for me. From her shrill cries to her inability to take a hint, she pretty much made the same mistake time and time again. It's a good thing that she finally learned her lesson...oh wait she learned it after she ran out of time leaps...

This would honestly have been better without the whole Chiaki/Makoto scene near the end of the movie. The lessons she learned were rendered useless since she can no longer time leap and everything was back to the way it was. I know that people prefer happy endings and such, but the girl didn't deserve one.

Oh well what's done is done, 7/10 for me. This doesn't really hold a candle to Byousoku 5cm and that's not even Shinkai's best work...xD
Sep 1, 2008 4:21 AM

Jun 2008
The interpretation between Makoto's aunt and Chiaka is pretty good, she was all understanding for the fact that Makoto time travels and such. Yet then it makes Chiaki seems like a pretty manipulative person, then. Lol.

I love these kind of movie/anime where they mix laughters along with melancholy that actually makes me feel that way at specific points. Called a masterpiece. Probably due to that factor alone.
Sep 5, 2008 6:09 AM

May 2008
This movies gets a 10/10 from me.

One of the best movies I have seen EVER.

Sep 15, 2008 12:41 PM

Jun 2008
Probably the best anime movie I have seen thus far. It might just be the spur of the moment after watching a great film, but looking back, there wasn't a single moment that I didn't enjoy. 10/10, well deserved.
Pages (11) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» plot hole

Algazero - Nov 10, 2010

18 by Khashishi »»
Apr 10, 2023 11:15 PM

» The Painting

itz_lelouch - Mar 12, 2023

5 by waalex11 »»
Apr 1, 2023 4:42 AM

» Awkward/Funny Scene

Rand_al-Thorfinn - Aug 26, 2022

5 by omen- »»
Sep 13, 2022 4:19 AM

» When is Chiaki actually from

iamhim - Nov 9, 2020

3 by Tsunamii_ »»
Aug 1, 2022 12:31 AM

» Makoto = the aunt? ( 1 2 )

Zenoxio - Sep 23, 2008

57 by removed-user »»
Aug 9, 2021 8:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.