Forum Settings
Forums

Do anime characters speak Engrish on purpose?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 26, 2016 9:48 AM

Aug 2015
I always thought they do. I kinda find it have it believe that professional voice actors can't speak proper English
Apr 26, 2016 10:15 AM

Nov 2015
I just realized the op is about pronunciation and not use. As was already mentioned, they necessarily mispronounce many words because they don't have the phonetics. Many words they pronounce however, aren't necessarily wrong and could just be considered their dialect of english, though a lot of the time, they really don't know the english, but are trying to use it anyway. In some limited cases I guess they could be mispronouncing words on purpose because it becomes standard (the aforementioned catch phrases).
Apr 26, 2016 10:47 AM

Dec 2015
roundbeats said:
I just realized the op is about pronunciation and not use. As was already mentioned, they necessarily mispronounce many words because they don't have the phonetics. Many words they pronounce however, aren't necessarily wrong and could just be considered their dialect of english, though a lot of the time, they really don't know the english, but are trying to use it anyway. In some limited cases I guess they could be mispronouncing words on purpose because it becomes standard (the aforementioned catch phrases).

Yeah, but as I stated earlier. I don't have the phonectics for the use of the erre (rr) sound and the ~n sound in Spanish, but it took me a couple days of practice in Spanish class to learn. So this leads me to believe that they probably are mispronouncing words with the letter L in it on purpose (even though I know they don't use the letter L, but use R instead). I mean it would be the same concept of me trying to pronounce the spanish phonectics that I don't use at all in my daily life, but I am able to after like 1-2 hours of practice from a couple of highschool spanish classes. Be it, that they are professional voice actors you think they should be able to adapt to the letter L when necessary or at least practice it on their own time, since some shows do you english words. So I would hope that they are using "Engrish" just to be cutsey, otherwise its kind of pathetic that they are voice actors not practicing certain english phonetics for their professional career when a certain job requires them to speak an English phrase professionally (i.e. not Engrish). This is just my take on it though.
Apr 27, 2016 2:12 PM

Nov 2015
Cejara said:
roundbeats said:

Yeah, but as I stated earlier. I don't have the phonectics for the use of the erre (rr) sound and the ~n sound in Spanish, but it took me a couple days of practice in Spanish class to learn. So this leads me to believe that they probably are mispronouncing words with the letter L in it on purpose (even though I know they don't use the letter L, but use R instead). I mean it would be the same concept of me trying to pronounce the spanish phonectics that I don't use at all in my daily life, but I am able to after like 1-2 hours of practice from a couple of highschool spanish classes. Be it, that they are professional voice actors you think they should be able to adapt to the letter L when necessary or at least practice it on their own time, since some shows do you english words. So I would hope that they are using "Engrish" just to be cutsey, otherwise its kind of pathetic that they are voice actors not practicing certain english phonetics for their professional career when a certain job requires them to speak an English phrase professionally (i.e. not Engrish). This is just my take on it though.

The ~n in spanish doesn't require anything phonetically foreign for an english speaker, most speakers aren't going to have a native sounding rolling r unless they do a fair amount of spanish. From what I've seen, l is more phonetically foreign to an asian speaker then a rolling r is to an english speaker, I don't think it is a good comparison. The op isn't about if japanese people ought to be able to speak good english anyway, it is about if they do it on "purpose".
Apr 27, 2016 2:18 PM

Nov 2015
By the way, "engrish" catchphrases for the most part are hilarious.
Apr 27, 2016 2:45 PM
May 2008
I asked a japanese person about the usage of Katakana, especially what happens when they write something like idk "Hyper Galaxy Spirit Force" or whatever animu catchphrase ever, for example as a title of a series or game on an advertisement. My good guess for the reading would be "Haipaa Garakushi Supiritto Faasu" and if it's written in Kana it can be quite confusing. "Faasu" wouln't be recognizable as an english word if written as ファース.

Again, I'd like to note that I am assuming the transcriptions for these words, based on 2 years Japanese lessons, three hours repeating basics and a faq (both with a japanese speaking person) and self taught animu language.

Now getting to the point, this person said, that as far as they know a lot of japanese people struggle with english and with reading english words in Katakana, as they are not always written how you pronounce it. (e.g. Galaxy/Garakushi would be more logical as "Gerekushi"). Another note: I am not a native speaker, so I can only go by the way I pronounce words.

What I think is that, if VA's get a script they simply don't bother looking up the actualy english words and they just learn the Katakana pronouncing. I can't blame them thb, because they probably have more important things to do than googling english words most japanese never heard of anyway. Many enlgish words are used in anime to sound fancier anyway, the other words are well know (e.g. aisukuriimu/aisu).

So Anime english sounds more wonky than a japanese person actually trying to learn the language, or speaking it.

I only skimmed through the thread and didn't noticed any reply along htese lines, if someone already stated this I am very sorry.
Apr 27, 2016 4:35 PM

Dec 2015
Haruka-SD said:
I asked a japanese person about the usage of Katakana, especially what happens when they write something like idk "Hyper Galaxy Spirit Force" or whatever animu catchphrase ever, for example as a title of a series or game on an advertisement. My good guess for the reading would be "Haipaa Garakushi Supiritto Faasu" and if it's written in Kana it can be quite confusing. "Faasu" wouln't be recognizable as an english word if written as ファース.

Again, I'd like to note that I am assuming the transcriptions for these words, based on 2 years Japanese lessons, three hours repeating basics and a faq (both with a japanese speaking person) and self taught animu language.

Now getting to the point, this person said, that as far as they know a lot of japanese people struggle with english and with reading english words in Katakana, as they are not always written how you pronounce it. (e.g. Galaxy/Garakushi would be more logical as "Gerekushi"). Another note: I am not a native speaker, so I can only go by the way I pronounce words.

What I think is that, if VA's get a script they simply don't bother looking up the actualy english words and they just learn the Katakana pronouncing. I can't blame them thb, because they probably have more important things to do than googling english words most japanese never heard of anyway. Many enlgish words are used in anime to sound fancier anyway, the other words are well know (e.g. aisukuriimu/aisu).

So Anime english sounds more wonky than a japanese person actually trying to learn the language, or speaking it.

I only skimmed through the thread and didn't noticed any reply along htese lines, if someone already stated this I am very sorry.

Shouldn't they be trying to do their best though as a professional voice actor? If I was one I would try to be as versatile as possible. Even if it meant practicing phonetics in a different language that is difficult to me. As for if it called to speak "engrish" on purpose then that would make sense I guess just to pronounce it as you said in the Katakana form. I think some VA are asked to do it in "engrish" or adapt it to a role they are playing like maybe trying to be moe or w/e. If the anime is trying to pronounce english words seriously though then (at least in my opinion I would if I was a professional VA) they should try to get english lessons to help with that or at least practice it on their own.
Apr 27, 2016 6:51 PM
Mar 2016
juzeddi said:
Are you talking about full sentences of loanwords? I doubt anyone purposefully mispronounces full sentences but loanwords are, of course, modified to fit the Japanese language. So, they say "erebeetaa" instead of "elevator" on purpose, for example.

Yes, I totally understand that. If in a Japanese sentence they just happen to say "hamburgeroo" (what it sounds like to me) then I get that they are using the words "hamburger" as a loanword and pronouncing it in the Japanese way.

KaraSurakka said:

Skip to 6:05
Japanese people know how to speak English but they still talk like that for some reason

That guy from 6:05 on the left who speaks better than the guy on the right said later on that he lived in the US for six years. That's why he can speak it in a very natural-sounding way.

As for most of the time when a character is supposedly fluent in English (like characters that are American) but speak in a Japanese accent in anime, well, there is no excuse for that since there are tons of foreigners in Japan who could do a good enough job, especially if they only need to dub like 3 sentences worth.

Pfft, it makes me annoyed sometimes... but the real reason why they do that is probably because their audience is Japanese and they figure a Japanese accent is more understandable, especially if the audience are just kids.
Apr 29, 2016 3:26 AM
May 2008
Cejara said:

Shouldn't they be trying to do their best though as a professional voice actor? If I was one I would try to be as versatile as possible. Even if it meant practicing phonetics in a different language that is difficult to me. As for if it called to speak "engrish" on purpose then that would make sense I guess just to pronounce it as you said in the Katakana form. I think some VA are asked to do it in "engrish" or adapt it to a role they are playing like maybe trying to be moe or w/e. If the anime is trying to pronounce english words seriously though then (at least in my opinion I would if I was a professional VA) they should try to get english lessons to help with that or at least practice it on their own.

I think it's more of a time problem. A VA's scedule can be really hectic if you consider how many Anime are airing every season. My best guess is, that they just learn the words by script, so they simply pronounce it like it is written in Katakana. I am sure they still do their best, but wether these words are pronounced correctly or not doesn't really matterI guess, because they are there to make everything sound fancier and more interesting. When someone needs to voice a foreigner it actually sounds more like they are trying to pronounce the words correctly, since it matters more.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - 9 hours ago

28 by MasterTasuke »»
15 minutes ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

41 by Ende_uraa »»
16 minutes ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 11 hours ago

44 by _FRB_ »»
21 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - 8 hours ago

19 by MasterTasuke »»
26 minutes ago

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre.

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

46 by LostSpectre »»
35 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.