Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Baccano! (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 23, 2016 11:21 AM
Aug 2015
Sorry if a similar thread already exists.

Baccano felt like a prologue to something that doesn't exist yet? The cast is big, yes, yet many characters felt very unnecessary, particularly Isaac and Miria, which I found incredibly annoying. There isn't really a plot either, so what was the point of it all?
Apr 23, 2016 11:23 AM

Apr 2011
On_the_Lam said:
Sorry if a similar thread already exists.

Baccano felt like a prologue to something that doesn't exist yet? The cast is big, yes, yet many characters felt very unnecessary, particularly Isaac and Miria, which I found incredibly annoying. There isn't really a plot either, so what was the point of it all?

Same thing with all anime.

There is no point.
Apr 23, 2016 11:25 AM

Nov 2015
Sorry but if you feel this way the anime wasn't for you at all in the first place.

No plot? What!?
Apr 23, 2016 11:30 AM

Apr 2014
What's the point of this thread?
Haters always gonna hate.
Apr 23, 2016 11:32 AM

Jul 2015
only western elitists can enjoy that kind of shows
Apr 23, 2016 11:34 AM
Aug 2015
Rayzer said:
What's the point of this thread?

The point is to enlighten me, which you're obviously not capable of.
Apr 23, 2016 11:34 AM

Feb 2011

Apr 23, 2016 11:37 AM
Aug 2015
GesuYarou said:
Sorry but if you feel this way the anime wasn't for you at all in the first place.

No plot? What!?

There isn't any buildup for anything (or rather: there is build for something that never comes), the plot relies too much on conveniences and some characters are there just because.
Apr 23, 2016 11:41 AM
Jan 2013
‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍
gone bai bai
Apr 23, 2016 11:44 AM

Mar 2015
Baccano! translates to "ruckus" or "stupid commotion"

What's the point of Pulp Fiction?
Apr 23, 2016 11:45 AM
Aug 2015
Kittenpotpie said:

The series tries way too hard to be something complex by confusing the shit out of you with its 3 different timelines, which oddly works. My problem, though, is the fact that everything that happens leads to nowhere.
Apr 23, 2016 9:23 PM

Aug 2014
On_the_Lam said:

The series tries way too hard to be something complex by confusing the shit out of you with its 3 different timelines, which oddly works. My problem, though, is the fact that everything that happens leads to nowhere.

The complex timeline and narrative is the magic of this show, for me. I dont think there really is a point of this show, just a story of coincidences that happened between mafia, immortal men, plus Isaac & Miria. Just like what Doomdoctor said, "what's the point of pulp fiction?". At least that's what I thought from watching the anime. Maybe the source material could solve your problem because they didn't adapt the rest of the novel. Sorry for my bad english.
Apr 23, 2016 9:34 PM

Nov 2015
It has an epilogue that explains it to you very clearly doesn't it.
Apr 23, 2016 9:49 PM

Jan 2014
What's the point of any anime? What's the point of this thread?
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Apr 24, 2016 3:24 AM
Aug 2015
Rrecool said:
On_the_Lam said:

The complex timeline and narrative is the magic of this show, for me. I dont think there really is a point of this show, just a story of coincidences that happened between mafia, immortal men, plus Isaac & Miria. Just like what Doomdoctor said, "what's the point of pulp fiction?". At least that's what I thought from watching the anime. Maybe the source material could solve your problem because they didn't adapt the rest of the novel. Sorry for my bad english.

Although Isaac isn't really that bad, I don't understand how anyone could stand, let alone enjoy, Miria's, to put it mildly, annoying presence.
Apr 24, 2016 9:21 AM

Aug 2014
On_the_Lam said:

Although Isaac isn't really that bad, I don't understand how anyone could stand, let alone enjoy, Miria's, to put it mildly, annoying presence.

I don't know about you, but happy-go-lucky girl seems attractive enough for me. And I think Miria's and Isaac's annoying presence brought positive aura to the crowd around them(maybe this is the point of every comic relief characters).
Apr 24, 2016 9:32 AM
Aug 2015
Rrecool said:
On_the_Lam said:

I don't know about you, but happy-go-lucky girl seems attractive enough for me. And I think Miria's and Isaac's annoying presence brought positive aura to the crowd around them(maybe this is the point of every comic relief characters).

I have a different type of humor, I guess.
May 1, 2018 8:34 PM

Mar 2017
the point is, this anime seriously needs a 2nd season
Jan 5, 2019 1:13 PM
Oct 2018
Yeah, I'm with OP- Baccano feels like a big, confusing, pointless mess to me. To be fair, I still have 2 eps to go, so *maybe* it'll do something dramatically different to the first 11 eps, and everything will suddenly make sense... but I can't see that happening tbh.

And to the geniuses saying "whats the point of any anime? Whats the point of anything?" (who notably never actually identify any point or climax to Baccano) Most anime (or any movies/tv/narrative stories) *do* have some clearly identified point or focus; Death Note is about the struggle for control of the world, One Piece and Dragonball are about the hunt for One Piece/the Dragonballs. Kimi no Na wa is about 2 people falling in love, and their struggle to get together. Berserk is about a freindship betrayed, and the hunt for revenge. Baccano is about... a train... and it's the 30s... and a lot of people get killed, but thats no biggie... and some of them are magical for some reason?
Jan 12, 2019 12:43 AM
Jul 2018
Anime4Normies said:
Yeah, I'm with OP- Baccano feels like a big, confusing, pointless mess to me. To be fair, I still have 2 eps to go, so *maybe* it'll do something dramatically different to the first 11 eps, and everything will suddenly make sense... but I can't see that happening tbh.

And to the geniuses saying "whats the point of any anime? Whats the point of anything?" (who notably never actually identify any point or climax to Baccano) Most anime (or any movies/tv/narrative stories) *do* have some clearly identified point or focus; Death Note is about the struggle for control of the world, One Piece and Dragonball are about the hunt for One Piece/the Dragonballs. Kimi no Na wa is about 2 people falling in love, and their struggle to get together. Berserk is about a freindship betrayed, and the hunt for revenge. Baccano is about... a train... and it's the 30s... and a lot of people get killed, but thats no biggie... and some of them are magical for some reason?

I agree with you. But I could understand why so many people love it. Actually, I also liked this anime.

Initially, the first episodes was quite boring for me. But Baccano! has unconventional narrative style. After got used to it, I liked this anime (but I still do not like the narrative).

Baccano! is an unusual anime. There is no point. Nevertheless, I enjoyed this anime. I think that this unusual style and playfulness made Baccano! so popular.
Jan 13, 2019 6:57 PM
Aug 2015
Anime4Normies said:

Yes, hi. This thread was created in a point in time when I was having an existential crisis, so the question I phrased is silly and shouldn't have an answer. I do still feel Baccano is rather uninteresting for how action-packed and "cool" it presents itself as.
Jan 14, 2019 12:05 AM
Oct 2018
Okarin_Kyouma said:
Anime4Normies said:

I agree with you. But I could understand why so many people love it. Actually, I also liked this anime.

Initially, the first episodes was quite boring for me. But Baccano! has unconventional narrative style. After got used to it, I liked this anime (but I still do not like the narrative).

Baccano! is an unusual anime. There is no point. Nevertheless, I enjoyed this anime. I think that this unusual style and playfulness made Baccano! so popular.

Yeah, I don't *hate* Baccano; I'm not a big fan, I think it's frustrating and over-hyped, but I can also see why people like it.

The production standards are very strong- art, animation, music, and pacing all work well together. It's definitely not bland; it's very effective at creating a distinctive feel- the fast, frantic dialog, the way the story jumps from place to place, person to person, era to era etc. It all looks very nice, really captures the era it's set in, and conveys that frantic 'noisy' vibe it's named after very well.

But... for me personally, in anime (film in general, really) the story/narrative is the foundation that all the other stuff is built on. You can have beautiful, skillfully-made, super-ornate curtains and furniture, but if your house's foundation is crap, the whole house is screwed and the nice curtains can't redeem it.

On_the_Lam said:
Anime4Normies said:

Yes, hi. This thread was created in a point in time when I was having an existential crisis, so the question I phrased is silly and shouldn't have an answer. I do still feel Baccano is rather uninteresting for how action-packed and "cool" it presents itself as.

Fair enough. Personally I think that you raised an excellent point (even if you feel like it wasn't worded perfectly. Seemed fine to me tbh)- if you didn't bring it up, someone else would have. (Me. I would have. Probably others too- there are plenty of people who share that opinion)

Some other people love Baccano, and that's fine- I'm not trying to take that away from them. But I think Baccano's high production values, nice art and audio can distract from the fact that it's narrative has glaring, fundamental flaws, and that's a legitmate discussion to have (inevitable, even) on a forum like this.
Jan 30, 2019 10:45 PM

Jul 2014
It's a puzzle meant to be put together. I found it to be very refreshing from typical shows.
Jun 5, 2019 5:15 AM

Oct 2016
I thinks its a random story the head of the press told his maid about.
Think it twice, Is it worth?

Jun 5, 2019 5:21 AM
Jul 2018
The asshats on here putting the "What's the meaning of anything?" dur dur response is pissing me off. The guy is asking for the fucking theme and message of the anime. Any story worth its salt has a theme and at least some sort of message. Stop throwing red herrings by bringing up the meaning of life or some shit. Either stop playing dumb or stop being dumb and I don't know which one is worse.
Jun 19, 2019 7:02 AM
Jan 2018
It's critically acclaimed for a reason
Jun 19, 2019 11:39 AM
Aug 2015
Mattinator95 said:

Yeah, just like Code Geass - and we all know how good that one is.
Jun 19, 2019 11:45 AM
Jan 2018
On_the_Lam said:
Mattinator95 said:

Yeah, just like Code Geass - and we all know how good that one is.

I don't I've never watched it can't be botherd to set through 2 seasons of 24 epiosdes when I have other stuff to watch
Aug 4, 2019 3:49 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
tragedydesu said:
only western elitists can enjoy that kind of shows

Rude

I’m not western nor an elitist, learn the definition of an elitist you dingus.

Sep 29, 2019 8:57 PM
Jul 2015
Baccano was little underwhelming to me since I expected some legendary anime with insane praise it gets.
I guess the "point" of the story is the conflict between Maiza and Szilard. The stuff with Huey is kinda confusing, what was the point of him?

The ending at least is quite satisfying to me. strong 7/10.
Apr 12, 2020 10:11 PM
Mar 2018
The point was to see a good-ass show! :D
Apr 29, 2020 7:00 PM

Aug 2019
Indeed Baccano felt very pointless, it's like it was building up for something big all along, but that something big never happened. It had potential with its seemingly quirky characters to create some unique character interactions and moments, but all of that got sacrificed to give more time for Jacuzzi being a whiny little bitch. (as well as a few other unmemorable background characters, instead of you know, Ladd? Firo??)
Apr 29, 2020 7:07 PM

Jun 2014
I definitely wouldn't say the point of Baccano was the plot (this was actually its weakest point for me), but the puzzle-piece-style storytelling.

For me, it was fun following what can be described as multiple "singular" plot lines (each featuring a main character/characters), and gradually seeing how they would be pieced together. However, what made it fun for me was that I liked almost every character, my favorite being Miria Harvent actually.

Edit: If you want to try another show with the same storytelling style (and produced by the same studio), there's Durarara!! (which imho sucks ass though LOL), but there's definitely a bigger and more obvious climax there.
iunneApr 29, 2020 7:12 PM

           but you can become stronger...

...でもつよくなれるよ                     

May 10, 2020 2:50 PM

Sep 2012
now i am at episode 4,, i still dont know what the anime about...
May 25, 2020 8:08 PM

Oct 2017
I think this anime is amazing (certainly doesn't hold your hand + memorable characters who don't feel tropey at all) but it definitely felt like it was just one arc of something better. And it is, the light novel series goes on for many more volumes.

I wish we would get Season 2
May 25, 2020 8:09 PM

Oct 2017
ThirtyFour34 said:
the point is, this anime seriously needs a 2nd season

Yeah there is so much source material. Its a damm shame that we never got a Season 2

More topics from this board

» Should i watch?

Koalapanda1018 - Apr 11

4 by LoveYourEyes »»
Apr 12, 5:35 AM

Poll: » Baccano! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

BadSeafood - Nov 17, 2007

144 by Karva1 »»
Apr 4, 4:02 PM

Poll: » Baccano! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

BadSeafood - Oct 30, 2007

130 by Karva1 »»
Apr 4, 3:38 PM

Poll: » Baccano! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Siing - Nov 24, 2007

397 by llamav »»
Mar 19, 1:34 PM

Poll: » Baccano! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Oct 21, 2007

143 by llamav »»
Mar 18, 5:10 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.