Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 23, 2016 11:10 PM

Dec 2010
dizzyur said:
Uhio said:

err, yeah that's what I mean about tumblr
I mean, like, I may contribute to gender discourse or just general social justice topics but I don't identify with anything tumblr stands for because I think their level of thinking is no different than the idiots here on mal

but the difference between arguing on mal and tumblr is that I won't get harassed out of the internet for disagreeing

one of the reasons why I like MAL better is at least people know when to stop, there's some levelheadedness here when pitting it against tumblr, people are often purposeful assholes or dumb, rather than intentionally harmful. i feel like i can express myself here a bit more comfortably without having suicide baits cramming my inbox, there's a fairly active mod team that do a good job with monitoring relative to actual abusive behavior, and overall it's a better experience. every day on tumblr in my latter time spent there felt like standing in a line awaiting execution lmao, which sucks. the site harbored some good graphic editors and artists, which i still bookmark and visit from time to time, it's sad that theyre overshadowed by the user bullying to the point where it completely disrupts the experience, and the tumblr staff.... oh god, talk about a group of incompetent nincompoops, they're the most inept modding staff i've ever seen online lol

tumblr is content with spewing hate in someones face until they're forced off for having a differing opinion, in what i basically refer to as a 'callout culture' / 'witch hunt' / 'burn the witch' mentality.

in other words, if a single person, and occasionally a group of people find themselves involved in a disagreement or drama with another user or users, they'll legitimately weaponize their followers and use them to demean the person they're arguing with into oblivion. and that is just disgusting and incredibly one sided, it basically is the height of the worst kind of self victimization.

i have unfortunately been on the receiving of this multiple times for having a controversial/contradicting opinion compared to the majority of tumblr discourse, which is one of the primary reasons why i hardly visit the damn site anymore, and my old blogs are almost entirely defunct. it's too much of a hassle to say anything without fearing backlash, so i don't even bother these days.

even so, people here do occasionally grate on my nerves, especially the people who are conspiracist far rights, they're just fucking kooks. yet, they're still less of a harm to deal with than tumblr ever was comparatively, because they show up more rarely or keep mum most of the time, or are at least a little more subtle in flaunting their opinions. to be honest, i don't like either the left or right pole of extremism. they equally piss me off, they have similar goals, to silence those who oppose them in the nastiest manner possible, yet they claim to despise one another- it's hilarity to me.

yeah, well, I don't think radicalism has ever been a positive thing.

I also just find it kind of sinister and completely unlike their oh-so "accepting" nature that doxxing was a thing, and that call-out culture is like some form of entertainment. most of the time these call-outs are receipts from months ago, sometimes years ago. and even if one apologizes and assures to change their behavior, even if the two agree to disagree, it's still not good enough. they're just out for blood, they're just trying to vent out whatever petty anger issues they have in the name of justice and moral authority. it's just for ego purposes. and the irony is that tumblr is constantly trying to be claimed as a safe space. these people will confront you, harass you, run you off the site, and stalk you on other forms of social media, and run you off those too, and put in actual effort to keep you off, it's basically an angsty version of fucking 4chan

mal is just a bunch of idiots talking out of how sexually frustrated they are, and most of the time the opinions on here are so laughable you can't even take it seriously. it's comical, not vicious.

Apr 23, 2016 11:13 PM

May 2015
Meeting people who haven't been to the military yet and are still in school.

I can't believe school is still going.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Apr 23, 2016 11:34 PM
Jul 2018
Uhio said:
dizzyur said:

one of the reasons why I like MAL better is at least people know when to stop, there's some levelheadedness here when pitting it against tumblr, people are often purposeful assholes or dumb, rather than intentionally harmful. i feel like i can express myself here a bit more comfortably without having suicide baits cramming my inbox, there's a fairly active mod team that do a good job with monitoring relative to actual abusive behavior, and overall it's a better experience. every day on tumblr in my latter time spent there felt like standing in a line awaiting execution lmao, which sucks. the site harbored some good graphic editors and artists, which i still bookmark and visit from time to time, it's sad that theyre overshadowed by the user bullying to the point where it completely disrupts the experience, and the tumblr staff.... oh god, talk about a group of incompetent nincompoops, they're the most inept modding staff i've ever seen online lol

tumblr is content with spewing hate in someones face until they're forced off for having a differing opinion, in what i basically refer to as a 'callout culture' / 'witch hunt' / 'burn the witch' mentality.

in other words, if a single person, and occasionally a group of people find themselves involved in a disagreement or drama with another user or users, they'll legitimately weaponize their followers and use them to demean the person they're arguing with into oblivion. and that is just disgusting and incredibly one sided, it basically is the height of the worst kind of self victimization.

i have unfortunately been on the receiving of this multiple times for having a controversial/contradicting opinion compared to the majority of tumblr discourse, which is one of the primary reasons why i hardly visit the damn site anymore, and my old blogs are almost entirely defunct. it's too much of a hassle to say anything without fearing backlash, so i don't even bother these days.

even so, people here do occasionally grate on my nerves, especially the people who are conspiracist far rights, they're just fucking kooks. yet, they're still less of a harm to deal with than tumblr ever was comparatively, because they show up more rarely or keep mum most of the time, or are at least a little more subtle in flaunting their opinions. to be honest, i don't like either the left or right pole of extremism. they equally piss me off, they have similar goals, to silence those who oppose them in the nastiest manner possible, yet they claim to despise one another- it's hilarity to me.

yeah, well, I don't think radicalism has ever been a positive thing.

I also just find it kind of sinister and completely unlike their oh-so "accepting" nature that doxxing was a thing, and that call-out culture is like some form of entertainment. most of the time these call-outs are receipts from months ago, sometimes years ago. and even if one apologizes and assures to change their behavior, even if the two agree to disagree, it's still not good enough. they're just out for blood, they're just trying to vent out whatever petty anger issues they have in the name of justice and moral authority. it's just for ego purposes. and the irony is that tumblr is constantly trying to be claimed as a safe space. these people will confront you, harass you, run you off the site, and stalk you on other forms of social media, and run you off those too, and put in actual effort to keep you off, it's basically an angsty version of fucking 4chan

mal is just a bunch of idiots talking out of how sexually frustrated they are, and most of the time the opinions on here are so laughable you can't even take it seriously. it's comical, not vicious.

oh god how i can relate, one of the people subjecting me to callouts constantly brought up a callout from 2014, a year and a half after the fact, to use against me, and people still accepted it as being sound 'evidence' against me, despite the fact that i'd grown up significantly between that point and the next 'callout'. it was pathetic. nothing more than glorified bullying. not to mention the fact that yes, one or two of them sought out my other social media accounts as well as an attempt to collect receipts for me, to the point where my friend on crunchyroll had to close our once open group to keep them from stalking my convos there, and also false flagging my posts to try and get me banned. man, those were not fun times.

the nonserious and joking nature of this site, or at least, the fact that some things come across as unintentionally hilarious, really amuses me. and moreover i can add my own horrible admissions of hilarity knowing that there's probably not much of a chance that anyone'll take them seriously either. it's just fun, for lack of a better word, it's crazy, it's a weird mixture of people, but it doesn't feel exclusionary or selective to the point where it bothers me cuz i feel like shit's hardly serious. i can be my weird self without mass ridicule.
Apr 23, 2016 11:37 PM

Jun 2015
I'm reminded almost every day whenever I see my students. Funny enough, they're reminded as well because I look younger than almost all of them.
Apr 23, 2016 11:39 PM

Apr 2016
Jelly shoes....jelly shoes and grab-bags make me feel ancient. And dial up.

"Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time."
Apr 24, 2016 3:40 AM

Jun 2014
Let's see what makes me feel ancient. Oh I know, when people born in the 90's make threads about how they are ancient or feel that way. -_-

Also when I came to the realization gray hair is not just exclusive to your head.
Apr 24, 2016 3:56 AM

Jul 2015
I still remember ziliton and sega consoles also world without internet and even pc
Apr 24, 2016 11:51 AM

Feb 2014
Epistemophilic said:
Remembering a time when there were 2 genders, not 56.

gave me a good chuckle             
Apr 24, 2016 5:40 PM

Sep 2007
There are adult stars more a decade younger than me. Sorry, just had to bring that up.

Also, some teenagers weren't alive born during 9/11.

P.S. Kobe Bryant will never play in another NBA game.
Nek0Apr 24, 2016 5:44 PM

Apr 24, 2016 5:43 PM

Aug 2013
When I was a kid the internet looked like this

and phones could only text, ring people and play snakes on.
Apr 25, 2016 8:12 AM

Sep 2013
Somewhat related - when I was staring at VHS tapes in a thrift store, some strange old man came up to me and whispered "You probably don't remember when we used these".

??? VHS was relevant until I was at least eight. I don't know why, but reading this thread title made me remember that, ha.
Apr 30, 2016 2:32 AM

Jul 2014
tokenfemale said:
Somewhat related - when I was staring at VHS tapes in a thrift store, some strange old man came up to me and whispered "You probably don't remember when we used these".

??? VHS was relevant until I was at least eight. I don't know why, but reading this thread title made me remember that, ha.

VHS tapes make me feel old too... especially when I see our family's Disney movie collection in those huge plastic VHS casings.
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Apr 30, 2016 10:36 PM

Sep 2015
I was born in 2000 and I feel ancient already.
Apr 30, 2016 10:39 PM
Jul 2018
Having a shit ton of vhs tapes and big box tv
Apr 30, 2016 11:10 PM

Apr 2016
my first cod eva (advance wrafare) was 2 year ago...truly best call of dtuy
May 1, 2016 6:21 PM

Dec 2014
The fact that I know how to operate a rotary phone and a typewriter, even though I'm in my twenties.
May 1, 2016 6:23 PM

Apr 2015
2006 was 10 years ago.
Just let that sink in.
May 1, 2016 6:29 PM

Aug 2015
The birth dates of the majority of people on mal... makes me feel like I'm on my death bed looking at these youngins
May 1, 2016 6:32 PM

Sep 2015
Jalapolo said:
The birth dates of the majority of people on mal... makes me feel like I'm on my death bed looking at these youngins

Lmao. Jala, youre not that old.

Things dont really make me feel old. Mostly because i'm not >.>
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - 8 hours ago

12 by DesuMaiden »»
5 minutes ago

» For everyone who has signed up to this site using Protonmail, and doesn't use that address for anything else

vasipi4946 - 11 hours ago

3 by DesuMaiden »»
6 minutes ago

» Plushies

_Nette_ - 5 hours ago

1 by KitsuFrost »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » the future of AI girlfriend technology

deg - Yesterday

21 by DesuMaiden »»
8 minutes ago

» Would you ever be interested in going on a blind date?

Thy-Veseveia - Yesterday

11 by LoveYourEyes »»
33 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.