Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 22, 2016 7:05 AM

Jul 2015
After watching this and the second season all the way through, I don't really understand why this has the romance tag. Yeah it's a TINY bit present here and there, but not remotely enough to deserve the tag in my opinion. Tons of anime with just hints of romance have more than this does, yet they don't have the tag. I feel like the tag should be removed, cause it could be a driving force for some people to pick it up, only to be mislead and disappointed.

EDIT: I would like to add that I do personally think this show is worth giving a shot if you have any interest in it. While maybe not much of a romance story, there certainly are other aspects of the show that are good. Don't necessarily let a potentially inaccurate genre tag stop you.
BenienmaOct 15, 2017 4:28 PM
Apr 5, 2017 6:39 AM
Nov 2010
Aaaand dropped 🙂
Jul 3, 2017 2:30 PM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
Probably because the author of the novel decided it was romance.

Aug 7, 2017 2:52 PM
Aug 2017
I agree with you. I was thinking that: Toru will have a romance history with his sister or the 14 year old girl?
Oct 1, 2017 9:28 PM

May 2017
Mystifire said:
After watching this and the second season all the way through, I don't really understand why this has the romance tag. Yeah it's a TINY bit present here and there, but not remotely enough to deserve the tag in my opinion. Tons of anime with just hints of romance have more than this does, yet they don't have the tag. I feel like the tag should be removed, cause it could be a driving force for some people to pick it up, only to be mislead and disappointed.
hahah i totally agree with you on the part where you said driving force ,even i was attracted because of the romance tag but after reading this post I'll just ignore this anime so thnx
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 2, 2017 6:10 AM

Jul 2015
MOB_ABOMINATOR said:
Mystifire said:
hahah i totally agree with you on the part where you said driving force ,even i was attracted because of the romance tag but after reading this post I'll just ignore this anime so thnx

Yeah if romance was your primary draw, then it's probably a good choice to skip. Not that it's a bad series as a whole, it's just definitely in no way, shape, or form a "romance".
Oct 15, 2017 1:57 PM

Jan 2017
Mystifire said:

Yeah if romance was your primary draw, then it's probably a good choice to skip. Not that it's a bad series as a whole, it's just definitely in no way, shape, or form a "romance".

I'm not so sure about that. I also came here because the shows I like most are those Sci-Fi/Mecha/Fantasy/Adventure/Action Anime where at least part of the motivation of the main cast and the forces driving the plot forward result from romantic feelings that come in at any given point of the story.

And from that perspective, I'd say Chaika the Coffin Princess is actually amazing. You've got two couples, each on the opposite site of the trench lines, much like in Eureka Seven. And while the romance may be subtle, many of the characters' choices and actions can only be explained by the growing care for their respective lover. I'd compare it to how they portrayed Ed x Winry in FMA. The romance is a part of the story, not just an addition in order to bring in more ecchi or fan service. If you like a show such as this, don't skip Hitsugi no Chaika.
Oct 15, 2017 2:11 PM

Jul 2015
n8fury said:
Mystifire said:

I'm not so sure about that. I also came here because the shows I like most are those Sci-Fi/Mecha/Fantasy/Adventure/Action Anime where at least part of the motivation of the main cast and the forces driving the plot forward result from romantic feelings that come in at any given point of the story.

And from that perspective, I'd say Chaika the Coffin Princess is actually amazing. You've got two couples, each on the opposite site of the trench lines, much like in Eureka Seven. And while the romance may be subtle, many of the characters' choices and actions can only be explained by the growing care for their respective lover. I'd compare it to how they portrayed Ed x Winry in FMA. The romance is a part of the story, not just an addition in order to bring in more ecchi or fan service. If you like a show such as this, don't skip Hitsugi no Chaika.

All I'm saying is that if Romance is what someone is primarily looking for from this anime to proceed with caution, because it's not the focus nor does it have much of a satisfying conclusion in the romance department. Like I said the show itself isn't bad, but saying that Romance is at all an accurate tag for it would be like saying Comedy is an accurate tag for any series that throws in a few jokes. An anime can have an element of something in it, but to be accurately labelled as something is a completely different story. Sure undertones of romance may drive certain character motivations and such, but that does not justify being classified as a "romance" in my eyes.
Oct 15, 2017 3:13 PM

Jan 2017
Mystifire said:

All I'm saying is that if Romance is what someone is primarily looking for from this anime to proceed with caution, because it's not the focus nor does it have much of a satisfying conclusion in the romance department. Like I said the show itself isn't bad, but saying that Romance is at all an accurate tag for it would be like saying Comedy is an accurate tag for any series that throws in a few jokes. An anime can have an element of something in it, but to be accurately labelled as something is a completely different story. Sure undertones of romance may drive certain character motivations and such, but that does not justify being classified as a "romance" in my eyes.

Well, it's surely not something like Akagami no Shirayuki-hime where Romance really is the main topic besides the main character's personal development. I just felt that this thread could shy away people from Chaika unnecessarily. I initially hesitated too when I saw it, but having watched the first season depsite these doubts, I thought I should say that there is enough sparks of Romance in it when you look for such a show in the way I described it.

What you're probably right about is that it doesn't deserve a romance tag in MAL (or even ANN). But behind this I see a more general problem in the totally mixed up, stupid genre tag system on these sites. Especially with romance, it seems to be messed up.
Oct 15, 2017 4:25 PM

Jul 2015
n8fury said:
Well, it's surely not something like Akagami no Shirayuki-hime where Romance really is the main topic besides the main character's personal development. I just felt that this thread could shy away people from Chaika unnecessarily. I initially hesitated too when I saw it, but having watched the first season depsite these doubts, I thought I should say that there is enough sparks of Romance in it when you look for such a show in the way I described it.

What you're probably right about is that it doesn't deserve a romance tag in MAL (or even ANN). But behind this I see a more general problem in the totally mixed up, stupid genre tag system on these sites. Especially with romance, it seems to be messed up.

That last point I can definitely agree with yeah. I've seen tags get adjusted down the road, which just makes me question where they get their information on how shows should be tagged, or what truly are the requirements for some of them. I've also seen characters and series marked incorrectly too, like main characters being demoted to supporting cause they assumed incorrectly, or a sequel season being originally marked as a "side story" and not properly fixed until the season was nearly done airing.

Anyway my intention was certainly not to steer people away from the series with this thread, just to be a topic of conversation whether or not the "romance" tag truly is accurate. I'm gonna make a small edit to my original post explaining that a bit, cause I would hate to prevent someone who could've enjoyed this show from watching it.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hitsugi no Chaika Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2014

304 by Garrett_Dark »»
Apr 3, 1:53 AM

Poll: » Hitsugi no Chaika Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2014

137 by Garrett_Dark »»
Apr 3, 1:04 AM

Poll: » Hitsugi no Chaika Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 14, 2014

121 by Garrett_Dark »»
Apr 2, 10:34 PM

Poll: » Hitsugi no Chaika Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 7, 2014

176 by Garrett_Dark »»
Apr 2, 8:44 PM

Poll: » Hitsugi no Chaika Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 30, 2014

154 by Garrett_Dark »»
Apr 2, 7:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.