Forum Settings
Forums

Should anime be categorized alongside alcohol?

New
Apr 21, 2016 11:13 PM

Nov 2015
Anime is an addiction. An addiction usually sought by the socially unsuccessful. It is made by those who were dejected in their childhood. Sure some of them, through this nefarious trade, accumulated fame and wealth but isn't that the same with some alcohol manufacturers?

Every drunkard on the street has his own formula for the type of drink he likes. Same is the case with anime producers. Everyone has his own style and majority of which are downright cancer - exactly like bad alcohol, literally.

Then you have the fact that, exactly like alcohol, anime is a hit or miss. At times it leads to something productive but mostly it only wastes your time and helps you forget your real life failures for a while. Nearly all anime watchers that I've encountered exhibited one ego self-defense mechanism in particular : Fantasy. Alcohol drinkers exhibit one such mechanism too - usually.

No matter what aspect you're considering, anime is exactly like alcohol.

Thoughts?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 21, 2016 11:15 PM

Jan 2009
personally anime and the entertainment parts of the internet are just escapism
Apr 21, 2016 11:18 PM

Mar 2015
emm.. sure it's wasting time, like most other hobbies. but at least anime not harmful to body...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 21, 2016 11:20 PM
Aug 2015
I have seen some pretty cancerous bullshit in some posts recently, but this has to be the funniest. Literally, i think you may be making a few too many generalizations.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 21, 2016 11:20 PM

Jan 2009
Kuma said:
but at least anime not harmful to body...

addiction to anime can make you have a sedentary lifestyle that is bad for both your physical and mental health
Apr 21, 2016 11:22 PM

Mar 2015
j0x said:
Kuma said:
but at least anime not harmful to body...

addiction to anime can make you have a sedentary lifestyle that is bad for both your physical and mental health
anime it self is not harmful. it's yours.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."

May 2015
Alcohol is one of the joys of life.

Watching Digimon Tamers is like drinking a good craft beer.

Live a little. If anime conventions are anything to go by, we're the most fun this side of the galaxy.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things

Jan 2015
Yes it should along with reading, watching tv, jacking off, playing video games and any other hobby. Fun is just as detrimental to one's health as alcohol and we need to protect our kids!
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?

Nov 2015
Kuma said:
j0x said:

Alcohol itself isn't harmful. It's your drinking it which makes it harmful.
Apr 21, 2016 11:26 PM

Mar 2015
Trance- said:
Kuma said:

Alcohol itself isn't harmful. It's your drinking it which makes it harmful.
you watch anime doesn't harm you. alcohol directly ruin liver.
Apr 21, 2016 11:34 PM

Oct 2015
No because people can become addicted to anything not just anime. Anime doesn't make you crash unlike when you are drunk. ...Well unless you become some obsessed with Initial-D that you start trying to drift your car.
Apr 21, 2016 11:44 PM

Oct 2014
I've heard that if you drink a 400 ml bottle of 40% anime you will die. Don't try it, just trust me.

In Japan where both would be considered completely normal in small doses and life destroying in some cases they could be quite similar. In the West anime is viewed only as a hobby and not as a normal thing so they wouldn't be the same. Another example would be sports. Many people play sports, but if someone spends most of their time playing sports and they get injured frequently while doing it then it becomes a problem. This isn't the same as alcohol because you won't be considered weird for not playing sports and they aren't physically addictive.
Apr 22, 2016 12:56 AM

Jan 2016
Yeah.... Please don't compare the two, because after you've seen real alcohol and drug addicts, you wouldn't.

Anime addiction is a thing, yes, just like all the other forms of entertainment you can get addicted to, but that just means that the person who got addicted had an addictive personality, or was put in a position where they got addicted to anime.

I'm not really a depressive person normally, but I had reasons to be pretty depressed during certain times in my life, and during those times, anime watching was a good escape method. You could say I was addicted, but that was only because I was in a position that made my personality seek an addiction.

The difference between anime and stuff like drugs and alcohol is that regular use doesn't create a physical dependency, and is much less destructive.
So don't compare the two.
Yes, anime is addictive, and can be destructive, but it can also be safely consumed without any negative effects.
Apr 22, 2016 1:01 AM

Mar 2014
Not all anime

Only anime produced by KyoAni and Pierrot and edge lord crap
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 22, 2016 1:08 AM

Jan 2015
I can go for a few weeks at a time without anime and not get horrible withdrawal symptoms or ill effects. I doubt it would be the same with booze if I was an alcoholic.
Apr 22, 2016 1:18 AM

Jun 2012
Misread that as "should anime be consumed alongside alcohol", in which case my answer would be yes. As for the actual question, lol.

"Do you watch anime?"
"Uh, only socially."
Apr 22, 2016 1:21 AM
Dec 2014
I have never found anime addicting, personally.
Apr 22, 2016 1:23 AM

Jun 2015
Lmao. The level of troll threads are getting more and more bizarre.

If you want an honest answer then no. Because by that virtue those who spends tons of hours on social media are also addicts. Seriously now.
Apr 22, 2016 1:25 AM

Nov 2015
Yeah, because obviously people watch anime to come home to beat their wives/husbands and kids as well.
I think it's a huge problem we haven't really recognized this as a legit problem yet..

Also cases of driving after watching anime has gotten out of hand as well, which has been leading to increased number of road accidents. We must curb all forms of anime abuse asap, it should one of the western worlds topmost priorities atm..
Gesu-Apr 22, 2016 1:28 AM
Apr 22, 2016 1:38 AM

Oct 2011
No thank you, that means that minors can't enjoy anime. How do you expect the anime industry to survive when majority of its viewers are underage people?
Apr 22, 2016 1:40 AM

Jan 2009
Yes they should both be in the same category, namely the "stuff that's awesome" category

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Apr 22, 2016 3:08 AM

Mar 2008
There is a difference between physical addiction and psychological addiction.
Apr 22, 2016 3:13 AM

Aug 2014
Alcohol is physically harmful. Anime hasn't harmed me in anyway. Just because you are addicted to anime, doesn't mean others are. Some people are responsible and they can juggle their hobbies with their duties in life. It's isn't a medium's fault, but the fault of the person who becomes addicted to a hobby.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Apr 22, 2016 3:14 AM

Nov 2015
traed said:

All addictions are psychological.

NeverStrikes said:
I don't know if I should laugh or cry now.

Trance said:
An addiction usually sought by the socially unsuccessful

I don't know, what kind of person you or the people you communicate with are, but I never saw this among any of my friends, schoolmates around me, who watch Anime and/or read Manga.
Speaking only for myself (Sorry if I start to sound arrogant here, but I'm just stating the reality), I'm leading a very happy and not unsuccessful life. I don't have many friends, but that's because I deny most of the people around me right now, since I don't think their characters would fit me for a long time. But I'm getting along awesomely with the friends I have.
In school I got good grades in almost every subject and I'm aiming for university, which I'll most likely reach.
I did have a good childhood, get along with my parents and my sister, everything's fine for me. And with all of that, I see my life as almost perfect, since I have everything I want and can be happy everyday.

And it is like that for my friends too. We don't watch Anime to escape from reality, we watch it because we enjoy it. And I think it's like that for most people. Because if it wasn't, you could say that for every kind of hobby. Football, reading, partying, TV shows, whatever comes to mind.

Of course, there are always people, that are escaping from reality in their hobbies and compensate the dissatsifactories in their lives, but it is rather ignorant, naive and dumb to think, that it is like that for the majority or even all of the people.

Social success doesn't only include friends, families and the stuff. What about your academics, job, professional ambition?
Apr 22, 2016 3:15 AM

Nov 2015
black1blade said:
Alcohol is physically harmful. Anime hasn't harmed me in anyway. Just because you are addicted to anime, doesn't mean others are. Some people are responsible and they can juggle their hobbies with their duties in life. It's isn't a medium's fault, but the fault of the person who becomes addicted to a hobby.

'It isn't cigarette's fault. It's the fault of the one smoking it.'

That logic doesn't work practically. If one thing is certain to influence negatively - at least in majority cases - then that thing ought to be banned or despised for the very least.
Apr 22, 2016 3:20 AM

Aug 2014
Trance- said:
black1blade said:

That logic doesn't work practically. If one thing is certain to influence negatively - at least in majority cases - then that thing ought to be banned or despised for the very least.

Nicotine is an addictive substance that makes you physically addicted to it because it's a chemical substance. If someone is addicted to anime, that's a psychological condition and it's not anime's problem if you have an addictive personality.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Apr 22, 2016 3:23 AM

Mar 2008
Trance- said:
traed said:

Semantics, they work differently. Physical addictions have withdrawl symptoms that cause havoc on the body.
Apr 22, 2016 3:29 AM

Feb 2015
to anime, there are 2 type of people/addiction in my opinion. first is good addiction and second is bad addiction.

"Hikikomori". people who shut themselve in their room because they can't socializing with other people, because of that, they want something that let them escape from reality, and there comes anime (but sometimes it could be games too). then the person is starting to forget about reality, hate reality and never want to go back to it. and that is what i can "bad addiction". but it's not only that. it could be related to "Ecchi" stuff like that (weaaboo). A person who get over sexualized because of the Ecchi stuff in anime, the person can't hold his "desire" anymore, then started to assault girls in real life. that is bad addiction too.

but on the other side, there is good addiction too, for example a person who watch anime, he/she thinks it's fun to watch and entertaining. the more he/she watches it, the more he/she gets addicted to it. but he/she gets addictied in a good way. he/she is getting interested in japan (the core of anime)(not anime) more and more or want to do other things like want to make a Manga, want to become an animatior, want to make their own anime/studio. many various things.......that's what i called "good addiction"
and i think anime could motivate people who reject reality, or motivate people who watch anime because they just want to escape from reality.

so basically anime has positive impact and negative impact

well, that's my opinion.
sorry for bad english.
YizelTroApr 22, 2016 3:33 AM
Apr 22, 2016 3:29 AM

Jun 2015
And yet another guy with self-esteem issues projecting himself onto the rest.
Apr 22, 2016 3:33 AM

Mar 2016
Addiction can happen with anything really. But this is a silly comparison.
Apr 22, 2016 3:48 AM
Mar 2011
Yeah. I agree. Anime is a form of slow suicide.
Apr 22, 2016 4:02 AM

Jul 2015
Trance- said:
traed said:

That's something you can only say when you're ignorant on the matter.
Apr 22, 2016 4:16 AM

Jul 2015
It is too early in the morning for this
Apr 22, 2016 4:35 AM

Jan 2015
Anime = alcohol
Gaming = alcohol
Smoking = alcohol
Sport = alcohol
Popcorn = alcohol
Reading = alcohol
Apr 22, 2016 4:43 AM

Apr 2010
Let's pretend you're right... even sugar should be outlawed.

Apr 22, 2016 4:50 AM

Jan 2016
Actually, anime was like a cure to me and I watch a lot of animes in 1.5 month, but I don't feel addicted to it even though I like anime a lot
Apr 22, 2016 5:11 AM

Jan 2016
Veiled insults are nice and good but no.
Apr 22, 2016 5:14 AM

Feb 2013
yes

and include breathing to that list too

breathaholics are the real failures
Apr 22, 2016 5:15 AM
Apr 2016
If you enjoy piss water and abuse it, you're more likely to suffer ill effects. If you prefer high quality craft beers and wines, chances are you will enjoy your hobby more thoroughly and participate in it more responsibly. Just like anime.
Apr 22, 2016 5:21 AM

Jun 2008
hydro said:
Misread that as "should anime be consumed alongside alcohol", in which case my answer would be yes. As for the actual question, lol.

"Do you watch anime?"
"Uh, only socially."

Agreed, a good craft beer always goes well an anime. Unless it's Pokemon, Bleach, Digimon or Yu Gi Go, then Budweiser, Miller Lite ro Coors (aka swill) is the best thing for them.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Apr 22, 2016 5:39 AM

Mar 2016
Alcohol is a substance that when directly ingested will cause bodily harm.

Anime is content which can be watched, which will not affect you in any way shape or form. You will not live less because you watched One Piece through it's entirety, but if you drink alcohol for that amount of time, you will be dead. (with sleeping, eating and bathroom breaks ofc)

Alcohol therefore directly harms you.

Anime therefore indirectly harms you.

Things that indirectly harm you are:
everything
everything
everything
AND
pretty much everything.
“I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”
Apr 22, 2016 7:43 AM

Oct 2015
What about the smart high-IQ anime for smart high-IQ people such as myself?
Apr 22, 2016 7:48 AM
Oct 2014
Wiziliz said:
Anime = alcohol
Gaming = alcohol
Smoking = alcohol
Sport = alcohol
Popcorn = alcohol
Reading = alcohol

Speaking of reading, that's the plot of Don Quijote, which was written 400 years ago. A guy reads too many adventure stories and loses his mind. Does that mean every book should have a warning label? Of course not.

And that's the answer to the original question right there. That's right, this thread was obsolete 400 years before the first post!
Apr 22, 2016 8:00 AM

Aug 2015
I guess so. I haven't been addicted by any yet :/
Apr 22, 2016 9:53 AM

Nov 2015
traed said:
Trance- said:

Semantics, they work differently. Physical addictions have withdrawl symptoms that cause havoc on the body.

It's not semantics. It's just the basic principle. Think of physical addiction as just peripheral to the real addiction which is 'psychological'.
lasterrending said:
Wiziliz said:
Anime = alcohol
Gaming = alcohol
Smoking = alcohol
Sport = alcohol
Popcorn = alcohol
Reading = alcohol

Speaking of reading, that's the plot of Don Quijote, which was written 400 years ago. A guy reads too many adventure stories and loses his mind. Does that mean every book should have a warning label? Of course not.

And that's the answer to the original question right there. That's right, this thread was obsolete 400 years before the first post!

Except we're not considering one guy here.
Apr 22, 2016 9:56 AM

Nov 2015
kamisama751 said:
romagia said:
yes

and include breathing to that list too

breathaholics are the real failures

Adding "looking" there since perceiving light with our eyeballs can get addictive.

Do you even know the meaning of 'addiction'?

black1blade said:
Trance- said:

Nicotine is an addictive substance that makes you physically addicted to it because it's a chemical substance. If someone is addicted to anime, that's a psychological condition and it's not anime's problem if you have an addictive personality.

There's no such thing as an addictive personality. There are only neurotic personalities and as far as they're concerned, anime seems to be their best exodus. My objection to anime is not that it is sought by the neurotic but that it doesn't help them, even a little bit, get over their problems. In most cases, it only makes it worse.
Apr 22, 2016 10:07 AM
Apr 2015
Lol what is this? Shower thought? Stoner thought?

Ofc not, you can binge a series of anime and be fine, but binge a bottle of vodka and I swear you'd be fucked.

It's a logical fallacy to compare the two completely different things, even if they are potentially "addictive".
Apr 22, 2016 10:34 AM

Aug 2015
Addictions should be indulged excessively, that is all
SomeEdgeLord said:

I WILL report you from this forum if this continues.
In real life, I am one of the coldest, unsympathetic, people you'll ever know, who's grown up in an even colder household, you really don't want me to break my persona, I know how to make people feel bad.

YearnsforAttention said:
hm who has 1656 friends on MAL
that's right me
bye bye

YearnsforAttention said:
I don't want your approval
how many damn times do I need to say it
I enjoy irritating you
I am gonna do things MY way
Apr 22, 2016 10:54 AM

Mar 2008
Trance- said:
traed said:

It's not semantics. It's just the basic principle. Think of physical addiction as just peripheral to the real addiction which is 'psychological'.
lasterrending said:

Except we're not considering one guy here.

It iss semantics because psychology is a different field than neurology. Things that cause withdrawl symptoms in the body arent the same as things where people just are hooked on without a physical need that causes withdrawls.
Apr 22, 2016 11:31 AM
Jul 2018
hell no
kids must be able to consume anime to save future generations
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 11 hours ago

25 by Kdog1998 »»
11 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

75 by L0bsterman »»
18 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Yesterday

21 by L0bsterman »»
21 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

117 by Kdog1998 »»
23 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

69 by MasterTasuke »»
50 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.