Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Aug 7, 2011 2:41 AM
Jul 2010
Winry was pretty cool in this episode. She may not be able to do much, and isn't totally aware of everything that's going on yet, but her courage is admirable. Also, I'm surprised she was the one who thought of that plan.

However, Kimbley is even more of a nuisence than I though. I can't believe he arranged things to take complete control of Briggs. How will they be able to complete deciphering the reaserch documents now?

Oh, and new OP and ED are great!

Sent with Mal Updater
Jan 21, 2012 10:33 AM
Jul 2008
Well, at least Winry won't have to worry while waiting now.
May 19, 2012 1:44 AM

Sep 2011
I actually miss the old opening/ending to be honest (they were pretty catchy).

Anyways, great episode. Saw through Ed's acting very easily... xD
Jun 24, 2012 8:25 PM

Jun 2009
One of the better subplots of this series has been the Winry/Scar dynamic and this episode really played that well. Actually, I'd say Winry may be my favorite FMA character as she isn't content to just sit back and let the brothers do every thing and, despite the fact that she can't really do much against the forces against them, at least she tries to be helpful and doesn't just sit and whine like a lot of characters in her situation probably would.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 13, 2012 5:34 AM

May 2012
Awesome new OP and ED my favs until now! Really great episode overall the ending was quite interesting with father placing those pawns on each point... Hopefully Al will make it...
Nov 4, 2012 9:36 PM

Jul 2009
i knew Ed would put an act since he did not once shout at Scar.

despite the sins Scar made, he can definitely be understandable and trusted.

if only he said to winry that he was overcome by hatred and mental breakness.

Zampano and Jero can be trusted after all :D

so this is actually a different coal mind huh??

Yoki you sly :P

of course you know the coal mines ^^

yeah im glad Winry said she's tired of Ed and Al deciding for everything.

finally she herself making a stand.

yeah the blizzard is awfully a good thing :P

Scar must have realized what he's master said huh??

poor May chang needing to return to his people :(

and wow it seems Briggs has been taken over huh?

damn kimblee!!!!

there is some good use of not feeling anything afterall huh??

i think the reason why Al's body appeared is because his old body is deteriorating by the second(it's much worse than when Ed saw)

"father" measuring the sacrifices huh?

Ed and Al, Hohenheim, Izumi and probably Scar or Roy??

love the new OP/ED especially the ED :)

hope we see more Roy action as well as Armstrong and Izumi!!!
Mar 30, 2013 3:54 PM
Apr 2012
insan3soldiern said:
One of the better subplots of this series has been the Winry/Scar dynamic and this episode really played that well. Actually, I'd say Winry may be my favorite FMA character as she isn't content to just sit back and let the brothers do every thing and, despite the fact that she can't really do much against the forces against them, at least she tries to be helpful and doesn't just sit and whine like a lot of characters in her situation probably would.

Yea i definitely agree with you on Winry. There are countless animes with an annoying female character (sometimes main character even) that can't do anything but whine and annoy the crap out of me. I am glad Winry isn't one of them and even provides us with some good scenes and comic relief now and then.
Jun 28, 2013 6:30 AM

Nov 2012
With those dolls Father reminded me a bit of
from Death Note! :D
Aug 3, 2013 10:36 AM
Sep 2012
OK episode, the plan took way too long and wasn't clever enough to deserve 1 minute -_-

3/5
Aug 16, 2013 7:36 AM

Jul 2013
This new opening lacks smt.
Last one was better.
Now,Scar is our new ally. What a relief !!
I think they shouldn't trust the kimeras so quickly.
Al and his body scene was quite a strange one.
New ending.. Liked it.
Oct 23, 2013 4:02 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Winry is a great character. With the little power she has, she tries to positively impact the outcome of this struggle.

Those 2 guys changed sides rather quickly!
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 26, 2013 12:39 PM

May 2013
I like this op better
Dec 3, 2013 4:53 AM

Oct 2013
i really like riza's tattoos
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Dec 27, 2013 5:54 PM

Jul 2013
fuck that Kimblee is one clever bastard... and that "father" is planning something again... I really want to know whats his relationship with Hohenheim and why the fuck they look exactly the same,.
Dec 28, 2013 11:37 AM

May 2013
I really like Miles, so I hope nothing bad happens to him.
Mar 20, 2014 4:17 PM

Jun 2011
Meh episode, unbearable first half. I didn't like the second half too, other than the part with Al and his body, and also the "Father". I guess the pawns are those who've seen the "Truth" of the world.
ToG25thBaamMar 20, 2014 5:50 PM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 12, 2014 12:03 AM

Jul 2013
The change of the OP and ED is really refreshing. The previous ones really sucked, two minutes of just Winry, torture at its finest.

There was a secret plan all along, even non-manga readers saw it coming.

During the scene where Al was showing the chimeras his body, Ed's face was priceless! It read 'I've seen this scene too many times".

Also, I've finally cracked the code about Miles' voice actor! It's Zoro out of One Piece! It's been killing me because I couldn't recognise it but during the gruffy voice scenes, Zoro's image just popped into my head.

I'm really glad I'm going to be seeing more of Izumi, hopefully a lot more!
Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!
- Doflamingo
Jun 10, 2014 3:42 AM

Aug 2013
The fort has been taken over :/ Just when they've solved one problem, another one pops up.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Aug 19, 2014 9:14 AM

Jan 2007
Hmmm...yeah, I did not quite like this episode because of the Elric brothers, they act so naive sometimes, they were quite annoying in this episode.
Sep 25, 2014 10:42 PM

Jan 2014
Talk about a group effort.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Dec 7, 2014 8:01 AM

Aug 2014
Next episode's gonna be interesting.
Dec 30, 2014 2:13 PM
May 2012
New opening and ending song~
I like seeing them working together :D
Mar 3, 2015 8:33 AM
Mar 2014
New OP and ED are great :)

Scar slowly realising the worth isent all about a chain of hatred.
Apr 20, 2015 1:46 PM

Nov 2013
I'm a bit confused over a potential plot hole.

At the beginning of this episode the 2 mutants talk as if they are stuck in their deformed bodies but then moments later they changed back to their human forms. What are they complaining about?

Why do they speak as if they can't go back to normal? Just don't transform haha Would be greatly appreciated if someone could explain.
DrakensbergMistApr 20, 2015 1:59 PM

Apr 20, 2015 1:50 PM

Nov 2013
Ssjbryando said:
One part about the story telling really really bothers me for a short while now. That is between Scar and Winry. If ONLY Scar told winry that the reason he killed her parents, was because he was scared as hell. his country and family just got wiped like 10 minutes ago, by those (americans? Forgot the name) and he wakes up looking at his arm thinking his brother made it, than realizes that his brother is not here, and that the brother cut his arm off and gave it to him.

The only thing he than sees is more of those americans (w/e lol) and gets scared, which is perfectly understandable, seeing as they just destroyed his family and the whole damn town. So he stabbed them. Done.

Tbh, I don't even think hes at the wrong here. Ok I would be sorry as well about killing her parents, but they put the blame 100% on Scar which kinda annoys me :

There goes meh rantz : P Nice ep though.

I don't give a damn how scared he was. If it were my parents I would still despise his guts. Really not digging this cliche forgiveness theme, sometimes you just need some unidealistic, gritty realism...

Jul 25, 2015 4:24 PM

Jun 2015
I liked the old opening more
Jul 28, 2015 7:38 PM

Oct 2014
Nice, a new OP and ED and both are good!

Good episode, I should have known that Winry wasn't actually kidnapped and it was a new plan. I hope Al can reach them before they reach Briggs. Olivier going to central can't be good.
Oct 3, 2015 3:40 AM

Jul 2009
The new OP/ED are pretty cool, Pride all over it.
Their plan was pretty good, no one would think Winry is with Scar for her own will.
Dec 16, 2015 4:46 AM
Nov 2014
Great plan from Winry, new OP and ED are very good for the most part.
Jan 2, 2016 7:21 AM

Nov 2011
Episode that in large part, wasting time on the explanations given in flashbacks, but fortunately, the narrative takes the great and in the end there is an unexpected event, promo final really interesting. The new opening and ending, are not bad.
Feb 8, 2016 5:37 PM

Jul 2013
Hmm the episode was most of the time the explaining of the plan with Scar, Winry, the Elric brothers, Miles and the Chimeras. It's that they build a group, but it got really bad with the relocation of Mira. Now they ran into the enemies from central.

The worst would be if they get the manuscript. At this point it would be over. Hopefully Al can reach Winrys group to let them know whats going on in Briggs.

PS: the new OP and ED are good :)
Natsu88Feb 8, 2016 5:40 PM

Feb 3, 2017 8:21 AM

Jan 2016
I agree with Miles in this one, i couldn't care less for those 2 chimeras lol
Apr 5, 2017 11:40 PM
Dec 2012
Ed is such a shitty character and is ruining the show for me. His hatred for Scar is so forced and unnatural. Yeah, he does have a good reason to hate him but it's just so overdone to the point where he's being unreasonable. Didn't they fight the homonculous together? What about Father? There's bigger fish to fry but the writer is trying to ram this 'rivalry' down our throats even though it's clear as day they're going to work together.

He's a fucking whiny bitch. Make Alphonse the main protagonist plz
ideefixeApr 5, 2017 11:43 PM
This community is terrible.
Jul 9, 2017 6:59 AM

Jun 2017
Really liked this episode!
Mar 14, 2018 1:43 PM

Dec 2009
Winry is something else to be willing to go with her parent's murderer.

Al's soul is finally rejecting the suit. He is in trouble.

And it looks like the circle needs one more pawn. I wonder who that will be. If Izumi Curtis is a subject then he must be pulling from people who have seen the gate. Nobody else in the known series has seen the gate besides the 4 characters who are already sacrifices. So one more is needed.
Jan 17, 2019 1:57 AM
Nov 2018
Op is okay. And Winry is so cool in this ep. She's able to realize what matter most in the situation she was in. I think she somehow trusted in Scar character when he answered "no matter what I say, it'll only be an excuse, the fact is I killed Rockbells..." . She thinks scar will contribute something better cuz it's the life her parent saved. She trusted her instincts, planned to go with Scar, even treated his wound. Of course Kimblee got tricked. Dang she is clever, beautiful and nice. Remind me of someone who's gonna post here soon..doki doki ♥ But man, I hope the kind-hearted Al would be okay though. His soul is rejecting the suit in the bilzzard strom. Nice persons are gettting picked on all the time in both irl and anime.

"Self respect is the greatest gift we can give to our self"

Jan 17, 2019 6:48 PM

Jun 2015
so ed, al, and the teacher are all indeed planning to be sacrificed to something, but to what?
Feb 8, 2019 6:43 AM
Dec 2017
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
Feb 10, 2019 12:51 PM

Oct 2013
I liked the previous OP, but this one is not bad - in fact it's very good. I guess I need to get used to it. To be honest, more and more I watch it, more and more I enjoy it. New ending, on the other hand, I see as a better one compared to the one from before.

About this episode, Winry allied with Scar, chimera guys allied with Elric brothers... cool! I like that kind of unexpected moments, where many different people from many different factions join their forces to achieve common goal.
Apr 5, 2019 4:43 AM

May 2016
Scar had become an ally thanks to Winry showing her determination to endure through the fact that she's unable to kill her parents' killer to end the chain of hatred. It just shows that was done cannot be forgiven but the world remains in motion regardless of that.

The chimeras also joined the party after they were convinced by Alphonse's inspiring speech about going back to their old bodies so they can face their loved ones again. Yoki's really useful when it comes to mine-related things.

Even if they had flawlessly executed their escape plan, it turns out that Kimblee was one step ahead of them by calling in a lot of soldiers from Central HQ to go to Briggs and summoning Armstrong to leave her post. Their situation only got more difficult when Alphonse had discovered that his soul is finally starting to get pulled back by his body into the realm of the Gate of Truth.

Jul 19, 2019 3:34 AM
Jun 2019
Not trying to justify Scar's path of destruction, i.e killing state alchemist and the murder of Winry's parents, but I do sympathise with him. I mean if one day a nation committed genocide against my people, killing and destroying everyone and thing I know and love I'd be pretty distraught too. Which I believe warrants Scar's strong prejudice against Amestrians and their alchemists.

Though this also goes for Winry, her hatred of Scar is also very rational as he is the one who killed her parents.

Seeing Scar "forgive*" the Amestrians, especially their military, for their attempt to wipe out the Ishvalen kinda gives me hope that Winry could return the favour to Scar. Though I do believe in the end Scar and the Amestrian military personal who committed war crimes should have to answer for what they have done. I do hope Scar can find his peace before whether or not they decide to persecute him. Though, this might just be my bias, as Scar is my favourite character in the show

*Not sure if he has forgiven them or just accepts that he can't change the past and just decides to move on forward
Sep 8, 2019 12:46 PM
Aug 2019
Ed's group and Scar's group unite to translate the research.

New OP is here and it's awesome
Nov 6, 2019 8:47 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
I don't really like the new opening but new ending is really good
Feb 5, 2020 7:14 PM

Nov 2017
The OP and ED are great. That's all I want to say for today!

Mar 29, 2020 4:38 PM

Feb 2020
another new intro????? as soon as i start getting into the intro, they change it! keeping me on my toes i see

what an odd team-up haha

but i hope al gets to winry and the rest of them in time!!! and of course now is the time he starts having a rejection reaction, what great timing

and a new outro too, nice

i'm getting the feeling that soon ed and al will be separated and then some major stuff will go down
Jun 15, 2020 4:31 PM
Jul 2009
I didn't think I'd watched this episode before but when I came to this thread it said I voted 4/5.
Wow! 28 year old me clearly has much better taste than 19 year old me because I loved this episode and would give it a 5/5 if I could. Oh well, I just have to accept that I made this account when I was a politically apathetic teen who wanted to get to the "cool stuff" and couldn't stand so much "boring talking"
I'm not a neko girl, I'm nyan-binary, hence the name
Yes I am an SJW.
No i will not scream at you for being a straight, white, cis, male.
I have important things to scream about and a finite amount of time in the day.
Feel free to talk to me, I only bite if you ask nicely :D
Nov 12, 2020 3:47 PM

Jul 2017
The new OP song is mixed. The chorus/second half of the opening was awesome, the buildup to that chorus was meh. But the visuals for the OP were outstanding, best among the 4 so far by a massive degree when it comes to animation. The ED is also nice to listen to by SCANDAL, better than the previous one but definitely not better than the first two which were great for me.

When it comes to the actual episode, man I love this Brotherhood version of Winry. Despite not being able to forgive Scar for what he has done to her parents, still has the resolve to try and help everyone out, especially Ed and Al by playing the sacrifice to help a lot of them escape to the tunnels so that Scar can hide in peace and decipher the notes regarding alchemy and alkahestry that were written in ancient Ishvalan. Winry's mental strength and determination were great and she didn't cry either, gotta keep that promise to Ed about only crying in happiness and celebration.
Aug 23, 2021 7:55 AM
Mar 2019
Nice one! I feel super excited whenever i see al's body. We see pride fighting against el in outro, which makes me curious.
Dec 9, 2021 9:59 AM
Nov 2020
Scar and Greed has the biggest charac. development here in this show....
Mar 7, 2022 3:16 PM

Feb 2021
my favorite opening finally

look at Winry trying to be useful lmao, hopefully we'll see more of Scar's development
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Ahenshihael - Jun 21, 2009

175 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 15, 8:13 PM

» Is FMAB worth watching after FMA?

xXCaptainJXx - Apr 6

38 by aleinam »»
Apr 15, 7:13 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 40 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

removed-user - Jan 17, 2010

207 by TheStarscream759 »»
Apr 14, 5:51 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jun 7, 2009

343 by Nicolay18 »»
Apr 13, 1:34 AM

» Why doesn’t Lust show more lust? ( 1 2 )

lordJahoo - Apr 2

50 by Skylar-whoo »»
Apr 11, 6:58 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.