Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 9, 2016 1:45 PM

Jun 2014
Personally, I almost dropped the anime solely because of Ranta.
Mostly, I finished the anime because of Mary

Update:
omg, coincidentally, I am watching Shingeki no Bahamat and realized that the MC (Favaro) is exactly 100% the same as Ranta. Even the voice actor is the same! I did not feel disgusted at the MC like I did with Ranta. Interesting, I think it is largely because favaro was better directed. There is more to favaro than meets the eye, that is what I felt. That must be it. Ranta did not have any backstory, so his character felt empty.
GrimorumInvokeJun 12, 2016 12:53 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 9, 2016 1:55 PM

Sep 2015
He was certainly the crux of a lot of my issues. Unnecessarily antagonistic.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Apr 9, 2016 2:14 PM
Jul 2018
Nah. He's not my favorite character on the team (Mary wins that one) but he didn't make the show unpleasant for me to watch.
Apr 9, 2016 2:16 PM

Mar 2016
He showed some of his good side by the end of the anime which made him less annoying for me .
Apr 9, 2016 2:17 PM
Mar 2015
Don't know about the anime but I dropped the LN because of him.
Apr 9, 2016 2:21 PM

Jun 2015
Do people really drop shows because of 1 character?
And beside this Why do people hate him lol..
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Apr 9, 2016 2:24 PM

Apr 2013
He was a douchebag, but I'd choose that over the dullness of most of the other characters any day of the week.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Apr 9, 2016 4:58 PM

Sep 2014
geralt said:
He was a douchebag, but I'd choose that over the dullness of most of the other characters any day of the week.

This. I remember Ranta, but the majority of the characters I've already forgotten about. They made no memorable impressions, or for me anyway.
Apr 10, 2016 11:12 AM

Jun 2014
geralt said:

Ranta's development was good, but he got soooooooo much screen time during his douchebag mode, it made me sick. I was about to rate the anime a 2 and drop it at episode 4.
Apr 11, 2016 9:28 PM

Jul 2013
Ahh he was such an ass. Honestly the anime would have been infinitely more enjoyable without him. He even seemed to develop a little at one point, only to devolve back into his sexist, obnoxious, arrogant ways by the next episode.
Apr 11, 2016 9:28 PM

Apr 2014
He was just another character trope that I didn't pay too much thought to.
Apr 14, 2016 6:50 AM

Nov 2013
He is annoying, but annoying ≠ disgusting. One character like him isn't enough to make me drop something. I managed to watch both seasons of Code Geass with a self-righteous hypocrite, so I can handle a character like Ranta.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Apr 28, 2016 10:49 AM

Jul 2014
He's definitely the most annoying (like, I wanted to smack him nearly every time he opened his mouth) in the group but I'm glad he―and my opinion of him―changed in the end.
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Apr 28, 2016 10:55 AM

Aug 2014
Nah. The thought of Grimgar without Ranta disgusts me more.
Sieg Zeon!
Apr 28, 2016 6:17 PM
Oct 2008
He is a jerk (or worse) but did redeem himself somewhat in the last couple of episodes. It was a surprising moment.
Apr 29, 2016 7:34 AM

May 2012
geralt said:

Agreed. He's easily my favorite of the guys. If he had been more competent, actually pulling the team like he constantly says he is, I think people could've tolerated him better.
Apr 29, 2016 7:47 AM
Jul 2018
GrimorumInvoke said:

Pretty much the same with me. Although, not disgusting but sure an ass.
May 15, 2016 3:48 PM

Dec 2015
It would be boring without his interactions.
May 15, 2016 6:26 PM

Jun 2014
QHassan said:
It would be boring without his interactions.

I think the show would of been much better if Ranta had a different personality.
I would prefer it if he was more of a coward who endangered the team and redeem himself later on.
May 19, 2016 9:47 AM

Dec 2015
He was sometimes really annoying but at least in the end he kinda redeemed himself a bit
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
May 20, 2016 6:19 AM

Jun 2014
Pyromanical said:
He's just a tsundere, I'm okay with that.

I disagree. He is a perverted asshole and an obnoxious realist.
May 20, 2016 7:54 AM

Oct 2009
geralt said:

Well he was entertaining, I'd give him that.

I'm ok with Ranta, although him being a pervert was too much.

I hate Merry, I hate Haruhiro, I hate Shihoru.

Yume made me finish that horrible show.
Moguzo cooks good food.
Manato is hot and dead. Bow

May 20, 2016 8:01 AM

May 2016
Yume is love.
Ranta is supposed to draw a lot of aggro but also helps get things done, so I appreciate him for that.
May 21, 2016 12:57 PM

Jun 2014
Pyromanical said:
GrimorumInvoke said:

I disagree. He is a perverted asshole and an obnoxious realist.

How is that different from the MC then?
MC is a perverted realist (minus asshole part), and he's completely different because he's able to supress his sexual desire a bit more?

Your argument relies on Ranta before his character development, since he became noticeably less of an asshole over time.

The asshole part really bugs me. Yes, MC is more likeable because he is able to suppress his sexual desires a lot more.

I almost dropped the anime on the 4th episode because Ranta had so much screen time.
May 21, 2016 1:56 PM

Jan 2015
Nope, I just love to hate him.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
May 21, 2016 2:00 PM

Jan 2014
GrimorumInvoke said:

I liked him alot, because he was being true to himself. He's not hiding anything, and says what he thinks.

Better than sugar coating faggots
May 27, 2016 5:40 AM

Jul 2012
DoctorWasabi said:
GrimorumInvoke said:

I liked him alot, because he was being true to himself. He's not hiding anything, and says what he thinks.

Better than sugar coating faggots

Being true to himself and being a douchebag are two separate matters.
よろしく!
May 29, 2016 2:29 PM
May 2016
Im not really understanding why people are hating him...
Why?
May 29, 2016 2:33 PM
May 2016
He´s my favourite character.
He´s one of my favourite characters on all animes , just because of his personality and charisma.
I Don´t get why peolple hating him?
*i´ve just finished the anime
May 29, 2016 2:49 PM

Jul 2013
I was indifferent to him at the beggining, but later I liked him due his character being realistic (he is a jerk who is only in the group to fulfill his goals rather to being in it to making friends). It was a breath of fresh air having a protagonist being selfish rather than having the happy-go-lucky group who always win using the friendship.

His development at the end was also nice.
IllyricusJun 30, 2016 12:40 AM
Jun 11, 2016 12:32 AM

Jun 2013
I hated him.

But some of his action were reasonable imo.

Otherwise, he was completely hateful D:
Aug 28, 2016 11:38 PM

May 2016
Nope. Strangely enough, he's my favorite character. He's a character with a lot of flaws but my intuition tells me that there's more to him than that. ^^ I know he's perverted and a jerk.

It's funny that he's one of the reason why I enjoy reading the fan-translated LN right now.
Aug 29, 2016 12:18 AM

Dec 2013
Nope, I never hated him and his actions never annoyed me. He's a good character like the rest characters.
Aug 29, 2016 7:35 PM

Jun 2014
Did anyone know that Ranta is the exact same character as the main protagonist in Shingeki no Bahamut? Even the voice actor is the same!
Sep 16, 2016 11:47 PM

Feb 2014
I watched bahamut long time before hai, so yes the image of favaro popped instantly when i heard ranta's rants. just watched 1 episode so i won't use "disgust" on his character, but more on his oppai monologue. You don't have to pick on girls' oppai just to portray an obnoxious character. Just imagine if their position is reversed, how would a girl commenting on boys' dick size sounds to you?
Sep 24, 2016 5:52 PM

Sep 2016
Girmgar won't be complete without ranta

"Kono omoi wo keshite shimau niwa Mada jinsei nagai desho?"
Oct 12, 2016 4:40 PM
Jan 2014
I wasn't paying attention to him. The show was too interesting for me to care about individual characters. Besides the characters make the show.

It's like not watching One Piece and Naruto because Nami and Sakura are annoying.

You people are too picky, even crazy.
Oct 13, 2016 8:16 PM
Sep 2016
Honestly don't know why people hate Ranta so much. In the end he develops really well and stays true to himself. In fact, I'd prefer that than have a boring character such as Manato.

So what if his personality is being a pervy jerk, guess what? He doesn't give a shit. It's called being yourself. Would it be annoying if I had to deal with him? Yes, but in the end I just see him as a male Tsundere, because that is exactly what he is.

Is he sexist? Nah, and even if he was I wouldn't care. If people think otherwise, there are plenty of sexist female Tsundere's, so I think its a nice change of pace.

In the end, Ranta as a character wouldn't be half as entertaining if you replaced his arrogant, pervy character with a sugar-coating, be-gentle-with-me-senpai, happy-go-lucky, believe-in-yourself, power-of-friendship personality.
Oct 13, 2016 9:33 PM

Jun 2014
Kadena said:
Honestly don't know why people hate Ranta so much. In the end he develops really well and stays true to himself. In fact, I'd prefer that than have a boring character such as Manato.

So what if his personality is being a pervy jerk, guess what? He doesn't give a shit. It's called being yourself. Would it be annoying if I had to deal with him? Yes, but in the end I just see him as a male Tsundere, because that is exactly what he is.

Is he sexist? Nah, and even if he was I wouldn't care. If people think otherwise, there are plenty of sexist female Tsundere's, so I think its a nice change of pace.

In the end, Ranta as a character wouldn't be half as entertaining if you replaced his arrogant, pervy character with a sugar-coating, be-gentle-with-me-senpai, happy-go-lucky, believe-in-yourself, power-of-friendship personality.

I would of preferred Ranta as a villain. Better yet, make him a selfish prick who redeemed himself at the end
Oct 13, 2016 10:05 PM
Jul 2018
GrimorumInvoke said:
Kadena said:

I would of preferred Ranta as a villain. Better yet, make him a selfish prick who redeemed himself at the end

You literally couldn't pick something more cliche than that.

Ranta isn't that good of a person, but he's a fully realized character, and that's way more important. He's the asshole of the group, but they deal with him because he's strong and helpful in a fight.

The show would be terrible if everyone was generic anime protagonist kun like the MC, whose name I can't even remember anymore.

Grimgar had a lot of characters that didn't even deserve to be there. Like Yume. Her design is great, and she's super cute, but what can you honestly say about her personality?

Anything?

Merry has an extremely well worn character arc, but at least it was decent. Her, Ranta, and maybe, MAYBE Shihoru are the only characters in the show that have definable personalities.

Would I dislike Ranta in person? Yeah. In fact, unlike the boring MC, I'd probably end up fighting with him pretty often. I imagine we'd butt heads again and again.

But he's interesting, and he feels "real".

Everyone else feels like they were teleported to Grimgar from other anime.
Oct 14, 2016 6:19 PM
Sep 2016
S-Shiro said:
GrimorumInvoke said:

You literally couldn't pick something more cliche than that.

Ranta isn't that good of a person, but he's a fully realized character, and that's way more important. He's the asshole of the group, but they deal with him because he's strong and helpful in a fight.

The show would be terrible if everyone was generic anime protagonist kun like the MC, whose name I can't even remember anymore.

Grimgar had a lot of characters that didn't even deserve to be there. Like Yume. Her design is great, and she's super cute, but what can you honestly say about her personality?

Anything?

Merry has an extremely well worn character arc, but at least it was decent. Her, Ranta, and maybe, MAYBE Shihoru are the only characters in the show that have definable personalities.

Would I dislike Ranta in person? Yeah. In fact, unlike the boring MC, I'd probably end up fighting with him pretty often. I imagine we'd butt heads again and again.

But he's interesting, and he feels "real".

Everyone else feels like they were teleported to Grimgar from other anime.

Exactly my point, his personality just fits the group dynamic so well. It's actually nice to see some conflict occur and eventually be resolved within the group. In some cases he is the driving force that makes the others realize a problem and forces them to deal with it. Would he be annoying to deal with? Absolutely. But I prefer to watch an anime with characters that are provocative and entertaining rather than flat, boring, and cliche.
Oct 14, 2016 8:05 PM

Jul 2015
The show would suck dick without him. Sure, he can be annoying, but people are like that.
Oct 24, 2016 11:58 AM

Dec 2012
Ranta is the best character in this series.
Oct 24, 2016 12:07 PM

Sep 2016
ranta is the one making this emo noob party a bit more bearable
it increased my score from 1/10 to 2/10
good shit
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Oct 28, 2016 9:27 AM

Sep 2014
He was shit and annoying. He totally does not fit into the group. After manato "left" he should have moved away as well.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Nov 15, 2016 4:52 AM
Feb 2015
Nope. In fact, Ranta is my favorite. He's a douchebag, yes, but not a dull character like the rest. If anything, Yume is more annoying with her cutesy act. Her acting like an airhead just makes me want to slit her throat. Not cute at all, missy, not cute at all.
Nov 15, 2016 4:56 AM

Jan 2013
At least he had a character :/
The rest were very bland.
Jan 20, 2017 5:25 AM

Dec 2012
Quite the opposite. Might because I like his voice actor but he is easily the most likeable character. The rest are so bleh, especially Haruhiro, his monologue are just pure cringe.
Jan 21, 2017 4:47 PM
Jul 2018
I hate Ranta A LOT, but Mary definitely made the anime better. I think the writers took Ranta's "dickishness" a little too far, even in the first episode. Being an asshole is kind of his thing (although it's so annoying he gets away with it so easily everytime) and I know that he doesn't really need to be likable to be a good character, but I still think he's an eyesore. Luckily for him, but unfortunately for the anime, there were characters that were even more annoying.

His "redemption" felt a little shallow, to be honest. I don't really know, but him saving Haruhiro doesn't seem very noble to me. He pulled him up and he fell down cause that one big furry threw a wheel at him or something. I guess you could argue that if he was still a selfish dick and didn't develop as a character, he'd tell Haruhiro to help him when he fell down, but I still don't feel like that really counts as a redemption.
Mar 26, 2017 4:14 AM
Feb 2015
lequack said:
Don't know about the anime but I dropped the LN because of him.
how did he act in the light novel
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2016

466 by T-h-u-n-d-e-r »»
Apr 22, 10:17 AM

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 24, 2016

281 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 14, 9:11 PM

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2016

206 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 13, 12:46 AM

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2016

176 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 13, 12:16 AM

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2016

230 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 12, 11:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.