Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 8, 2016 10:32 PM

Jul 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY3deSWuO58&nohtml5=False Just watch this, he explains it the best
Sup...
Apr 8, 2016 10:33 PM

Apr 2014
Don't judge a book by its cover.
That is all.
Apr 8, 2016 11:03 PM

Jan 2011

@Milennin. you said it: those points are in fact ISSUES for YOU
An Opinion is what you were saying: "I don't like this just because" or "I prefer this way" , so those simple opinions/views are not arguments

1. precisely,that have to do with everything you said
@tsudecimo ask you What doesn't make sense?
- you: "Why would they let people fight against dangerous criminals? Not only that, but also let the prisoners reduce their sentences? Who, but the prisoners themselves, actually gains from this? Couldn't they just hire five professional Hunters to test their abilities?"

-- first off "you should understand the main objective of this stage: "the five of you must follow the will of the majority to reach the goal", Ok?
prisoner's goal is to buy time
if prisoners won, their sentences will be reduced by seventy-two years

- ""Why would they let people fight against dangerous criminals?"
--did you see how many people died during the hunter exam? and you ask us why they did that?

- " Who, but the prisoners themselves, actually gains from this"
--¡exactly, you had the answer all along!

-"Couldn't they just hire five professional Hunters to test their abilities?"
--another issue for you, you are assuming things, nothing more than that.

2. they (prisoner-applicant) determine the method of combat (Decision By Majority)
you just don't you get it, do you?
watch these episodes of HxH:
ep 8: min 16:39 http://www.crunchyroll.com/hunter-x-hunter/episode-8-decision-x-by-x-majority-585054
ep 9
--so the prisoners did not decide for them, it's more like applicants rely on themselves

THAT'S ENOUGH. you'll dislike this anime just because. once again, you only find defects since this anime apparently is a masterpiece.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting
TyrelApr 9, 2016 2:59 AM
Gintama: "The blade is not to cut down your enemies
Nor is it to cut away your own weakness
A sword isnt meant to protect your body
A sword is meant for protecting your soul"
Apr 9, 2016 1:34 AM

Feb 2015
@cronosteso23 No, they are legitimate points of criticism.

1. -Exactly, so even less reason for them to let the prisoners decide the type of challenge.
-That doesn't have anything to do with it. Though the fact that a few hundred people died and no one gave a crap (even Gon is acting like he never saw a thing happen, which is stupid by itself) is just dumb. But that's not what my post was about.
-No, that doesn't answer anything. It defies all sense of logic.
-They better have a good explanation for things that are just dumb. They fail to give one.
2. First: I said they let the prisoners decide for them. Second: No, it's not a Decision by Majority, as they're not using their voting watches to make the decision with. The first prisoner proposes a death match, meaning that's the method of combat he's going to be most comfortable with. Yet Tonpa (nor the others) propose anything themselves. They just blindly accept whatever they let the prisoners decide for them.

No, I'm not even disliking the anime and I already said I don't think it's bad, lol. Just because there are things to point out doesn't mean I can't still enjoy it.
TyrelApr 9, 2016 12:31 PM
Apr 9, 2016 6:20 AM

Jun 2014
Milennin said:
From the things that happen in the tower up to what I've watched:

-Why would they let people fight against dangerous criminals?

Why wouldn't they? They did let the examinees run through a forest with traps and creatures more dangerous than those criminals could ever be. This is the Hunter exams, not a child play. All the participants know that they may not come out alive of it.

Not only that, but also let the prisoners reduce their sentences? Who, but the prisoners themselves, actually gains from this? Couldn't they just hire five professional Hunters to test their abilities?

I think you're confused about what it is to be a Hunter. These guys are not some superheroes or arbiters of peace or whatever. There is no set moral conduct or ethics that prevents them from using convicted crimininals. Remember that some of the guys running for the exam are serial killers like Hisoka? His motivation to become a hunter (which shall be revealed later) even has to with the fact that in this World, people who get this license can generally get away with that kind of stuff. Netero (the chairman) is the one who assigned each an examiner to each stage, and the one selected for the Trick tower is a type of hunter who specifically deals with criminals (black list hunter) and decided to use them for his tests. Nothing prevents him from that. The reduction of the criminals' sentence was probably done to make them more determined/motivated to stop the candidates sent to them thereby increasing the difficuly of the phase.

-Gon accepting to play the criminal's game with candles instead of taking advantage of the fact he's good at physical combat while his opponent isn't.

What exactly was he supposed to do? Refuse the game? Did you forget that Gon's group were the ones who needed time? If he refused and proposed a fight to the criminal instead, then said criminal could have just as well refused his proposition and they'd start arguing and wasting time (just like what happened in Kurapika's turn), which would be in the criminals' advantage (as their job was to waste as much time as possible till the end of the 72 hours) and Gon's group disadvantage (since they need to save as much time as they can to reach the Tower's bottom).

-Everyone impressed by Gon's thinking to blow out his opponent's candle when that would've been the first thing that should've come to mind when playing this challenge.

Easy to say that now, since you've already seen it done (Columbus' egg anyone?) but why exactly would that've been the first thing to think? And if you really think that it would've been the first thing to think when playing the challenge, then I think the mistake is yours and you'll need to rewatch. It would've actually been a dumb thing to do at first. Why? because there was a breeze in the room as mentioned by Gon himself so trying to blow out your opponents' candle (which means moving towards him) would've likely resulted in your candle being extinguished first. That's why both had to try to keep their movements to the minimum while trying to protect their flame from the breeze. It's when Gon's candle started burning powerfully that it became an ingenious idea to blow your opponents' candle since the powder that Gon's opponent put in it to accelerate its burning also ironically made the flame powerful enough for Gon to move with it or even leaving behind without fearing it being extinguished (by the criminal or the breeze).

-After finding out these prisoners are playing dirty, Kurapika still lets his opponent pick the method of their fight.

Just like I said above, they are the ones who need time. The criminals would probably not accept any challenge which disfavours them, so they could agree or argue forever. It's part of the difficulty of the phase.

-Everyone being surprised at the big guy punching a small hole in the ground in a world where 12-year olds can run 80+ KM without breaking a sweat.

Surprise =/= threatened. Most of them where just surprised by the randomness of the action (just like you'd be surprised by someone punching the groung for no reason). Gon, Killua and Kurapika even said later on that they were never threatened by him. Only Leaorio and Tompa were, and that's because they are the closest "regular human beings" in there).

-Kurapika refusing to finish off his opponent. What happened to all that determination from before when he said his honour meant nothing compared to the suffering his clan has gone through? Why is making a single kill suddenly stopping him in wanting to achieve his goal? Is he that naive to think the prisoner wouldn't stall the timer? The prisoners only gain from letting the time go on.

Actually Kurapika had never killed at that point. There's a fine line between saying your honour means nothing, and actually going ahead with your first cold blooded murder especially when it's not even targetted towards someone significant to his revenge quest. Kurapika will come to cross that line in the future though, but me saying anything further would be spoiler territory so I'll stop here.

Why wasn't Kurapika allowed to check if his opponent is still alive, ultimately resulting in a pointless betting match between Leorio and the prisoner girl? After all, it was still his match, since neither of them had died nor given up yet.

Nobody prevented him from going to check? I'm mean didn't you watch it? He's the one who refused to do so moving away from the arena (that was quite stubborn of his admittedly).

-How did an armed non-participant even enter this tower to take his revenge on Hisoka? With cameras installed around every corner of the facility, surely someone should've noticed the intruder and done something?

That guy wasn't an armed non-participant. He was a previous examiner that was seeking to take revenge from Hisoka due to scars he inflicted on him the previous year (which resulted in Hisoka's exclusion that year). So obviously, as an ex-examiner and someone who was already a hunter, it was easier for him to to go wherever he wanted to. It was said in the manga and I'm sure in the anime too (will have to check again).

-Unless something was wrong with the subtitles or I'm missing something, how does it make sense for Killua to say he used to be a professional mass murderer? He's only a 12-year old, lol.

He comes from the illustrious Zoldyck family. You'll know better about them in the next arc so I won't spoil.

All right, I'm not saying it's bad, I just fail to see how it's better than any of the other battle shounens out there that it deserves all the praise it's getting from people. Unless things get a lot better later on.

The best parts are yet to come. If by episode 35, you still haven't found anything you like it then it may not be for you. The two arcs that are generally considered as the best are still a bit far (the first starts at episode 38 and the second at 76 or thereabouts). Have fun (if you haven't dropped it by then).
AgafinApr 9, 2016 6:35 AM
Apr 9, 2016 7:40 AM

Feb 2015
Agafin said:
Milennin said:
From the things that happen in the tower up to what I've watched:

-Why would they let people fight against dangerous criminals?

Why wouldn't they? They did let the examinees run through a forest with traps and creatures more dangerous than those criminals could ever be. This is the Hunter exams, not a child play. All the participants know that they may not come out alive of it.

Okay, the bigger problem I have with this is the fact they're reducing the prisoners' sentences for doing well (but I see you addressed that in the next part).

Agafin said:
Not only that, but also let the prisoners reduce their sentences? Who, but the prisoners themselves, actually gains from this? Couldn't they just hire five professional Hunters to test their abilities?

I think you're confused about what it is to be a Hunter. These guys are not some superheroes or arbiters of peace or whatever. There is no set moral conduct or ethics that prevents them from using convicted crimininals. Remember that some of the guys running for the exam are serial killers like Hisoka? His motivation to become a hunter (which shall be revealed later) even has to with the fact that in this World, people who get this license can generally get away with that kind of stuff. Netero (the chairman) is the one who assigned each an examiner to each stage, and the one selected for the Trick tower is a type of hunter who specifically deals with criminals (black list hunter) and decided to use them for his tests. Nothing prevents him from that. The reduction of the criminals' sentence was probably done to make them more determined/motivated to stop the candidates sent to them thereby increasing the difficuly of the phase.

The fact that known serial killers are running for the exam makes me wonder why they don't have police or soldiers scanning the participants. You'd think it'd make for some easy criminal hunting. Prisons do exist in this world, so it's not like nobody has a sense of justice. Why exactly are people okay with letting serial killers run free and taking these tests? If Netero deals with criminals, why doesn't he do anything about those participating in the exams?

Agafin said:
-Gon accepting to play the criminal's game with candles instead of taking advantage of the fact he's good at physical combat while his opponent isn't.

What exactly was he supposed to do? Refuse the game? Did you forget that Gon's group were the ones who needed time? If he refused and proposed a fight to the criminal instead, then said criminal could have just as well refused his proposition and they'd start arguing and wasting time (just like what happened in Kurapika's turn), which would be in the criminals' advantage (as their job was to waste as much time as possible till the end of the 72 hours) and Gon's group disadvantage (since they need to save as much time as they can to reach the Tower's bottom).

Outside the base rules, they were allowed to use any means necessary to win, meaning there was no need to establish any kind of special challenge to begin with. But I can see what you're saying. Then I also wonder how that criminal got his hands on four candles and the material to sabotage two of them.

Agafin said:
-Everyone impressed by Gon's thinking to blow out his opponent's candle when that would've been the first thing that should've come to mind when playing this challenge.

And if you really think that it would've been the first thing to think when playing the challenge, then I think the mistake is yours and you'll need to rewatch. It would've actually been a dumb thing to do at first. Why? because there was a breeze in the room as mentioned by Gon himself so trying to blow out your opponents' candle (which means moving towards him) would've likely resulted in your candle being extinguished first. That's why both had to try to keep their movements to the minimum while trying to protect their flame from the breeze. It's when Gon's candle started burning powerfully that it became an ingenious idea to blow your opponents' candle since the powder that Gon's opponent put in it to accelerate its burning also ironically made the flame powerful enough for Gon to move with it or even leaving behind without fearing it being extinguished (by the criminal or the breeze).

Yeah, that makes sense.

Agafin said:
Why wasn't Kurapika allowed to check if his opponent is still alive, ultimately resulting in a pointless betting match between Leorio and the prisoner girl? After all, it was still his match, since neither of them had died nor given up yet.

Nobody prevented him from going to check? I'm mean didn't you watch it? He's the one who refused to do so moving away from the arena (that was quite stubborn of his admittedly).

The fact he didn't check made me think they wouldn't allow him to, but I guess it had to do with his stubbornness then.

Agafin said:
-How did an armed non-participant even enter this tower to take his revenge on Hisoka? With cameras installed around every corner of the facility, surely someone should've noticed the intruder and done something?

That guy wasn't an armed non-participant. He was a previous examiner that was seeking to take revenge from Hisoka due to scars he inflicted on him the previous year (which resulted in Hisoka's exclusion that year). So obviously, as an ex-examiner and someone who was already a hunter, it was easier for him to to go wherever he wanted to. It was said in the manga and I'm sure in the anime too (will have to check again).

He might have been a previous examiner, but he's not this year, nor was he participating this year, thus making him an intruder.

Agafin said:
All right, I'm not saying it's bad, I just fail to see how it's better than any of the other battle shounens out there that it deserves all the praise it's getting from people. Unless things get a lot better later on.

The best parts are yet to come. If by episode 35, you still haven't found anything you like it then it may not be for you. The two arcs that are generally considered as the best are still a bit far (the first starts at episode 38 and the second at 76 or thereabouts). Have fun (if you haven't dropped it by then).

I think the parts on the island so far have been a lot better already, so that's promising.
Apr 9, 2016 9:21 AM

Jul 2015
Milennin said:
Agafin said:

Okay, the bigger problem I have with this is the fact they're reducing the prisoners' sentences for doing well (but I see you addressed that in the next part).

Agafin said:

The fact that known serial killers are running for the exam makes me wonder why they don't have police or soldiers scanning the participants. You'd think it'd make for some easy criminal hunting. Prisons do exist in this world, so it's not like nobody has a sense of justice. Why exactly are people okay with letting serial killers run free and taking these tests? If Netero deals with criminals, why doesn't he do anything about those participating in the exams?

Agafin said:

Outside the base rules, they were allowed to use any means necessary to win, meaning there was no need to establish any kind of special challenge to begin with. But I can see what you're saying. Then I also wonder how that criminal got his hands on four candles and the material to sabotage two of them.

Agafin said:

And if you really think that it would've been the first thing to think when playing the challenge, then I think the mistake is yours and you'll need to rewatch. It would've actually been a dumb thing to do at first. Why? because there was a breeze in the room as mentioned by Gon himself so trying to blow out your opponents' candle (which means moving towards him) would've likely resulted in your candle being extinguished first. That's why both had to try to keep their movements to the minimum while trying to protect their flame from the breeze. It's when Gon's candle started burning powerfully that it became an ingenious idea to blow your opponents' candle since the powder that Gon's opponent put in it to accelerate its burning also ironically made the flame powerful enough for Gon to move with it or even leaving behind without fearing it being extinguished (by the criminal or the breeze).

Yeah, that makes sense.

Agafin said:

The fact he didn't check made me think they wouldn't allow him to, but I guess it had to do with his stubbornness then.

Agafin said:

He might have been a previous examiner, but he's not this year, nor was he participating this year, thus making him an intruder.

Agafin said:

I think the parts on the island so far have been a lot better already, so that's promising.
Just go to the Hunter x hunter forums already and asked them those questions, they will sure as hell know what to say
Sup...
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 126 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 22, 2014

780 by InkDruid »»
Apr 16, 12:40 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 59 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

FrostToaster - Dec 15, 2012

154 by red-tomato »»
Apr 16, 6:25 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 111 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2014

516 by DF_BR »»
Apr 15, 9:31 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

42 by Sorachin »»
Apr 15, 2:32 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 148 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Haine - Sep 23, 2014

914 by cube98 »»
Apr 13, 10:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.