Forums

DB: Remove Spoilers from Episode/Video/Streaming Thumbnails

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 3, 2020 5:28 AM
Jul 2018
Yzeelb said:
Grusomhed_D said:
descending order for videos makes 0 sense.

Well it does if you are watching the show and want to see the newest episode. This way you can directly click on the next episode for you.
But yeah for someone who hasn't started this show it's not the right choice.
Maybe the order should be defined by how many episodes you have marked as watched on your list:
- 0 : You start in ascending order
- everything else the first episode you haven't watched is first.

The problem here is not that it makes any sense, or not, forgive me for stressing something that is irrelevant, what I am trying to say is that it makes 0 sense, since there is a high chance that you will see a thumbnail that contains a spoiler. For example, this thread gives insight into the problem.

EDIT: With that being said, ascending order will solve the problem. An ability to choose between ascending order and descending order might be good, too.
removed-userApr 3, 2020 5:34 AM
Aug 26, 2020 11:03 AM
Jul 2018
I was going to make my own thread for this but found this thread. I would also like to see this feature changed as the OP requested.

The other day, I went to check out the synopsis for a 40-episode anime that someone recommended to me as a great show. And right there under the synopsis, (and to the right of the genre details), automatically shown, was the thumbnail for the last episode of the anime, with what looked like one of the main characters bloody and probably dying. Well that's good, now I know that character's going to be bloody and maybe dying in the last episode. There have been many threads made (for many years) asking for this "Episode Videos" feature to be changed. All that would need to be changed to fix this would be to reverse the order in which the episodes are shown - as the OP has suggested. This would prevent a lot of people from seeing spoilers!

And just to note, to any MAL developers who may see this, the "episode videos" thumbnails are automatically showing on the given particular anime's page - so we see them automatically just by checking out the anime's page. It's a little weird (and not fully effective) to have to put my hand in front of the screen while I scroll down to look at the genre of the show in order to avoid potential spoilers.
removed-userAug 26, 2020 11:10 AM
Aug 28, 2020 2:30 PM

May 2015
I was browsing this page, looking for info on an anime I never watched and there's this episode videos section in descending order with thumbnails that could potentially spoil someone who's currently watching it. Seriously who thought this was a good idea?
Aug 29, 2020 6:25 AM

Jan 2008
Here's what happens when you check out an anime on this site.

1) You click on the name of the anime and visit the page.
2) You see just below the Synopsis box the Episode Videos area, which, bizarrely, always shows the final episodes.
3) Potentially get spoiled?

It seems really strange to me that the site is designed like this. An image might not spoil anything, or it might spoil everything. Not to mention the fact that you see multiple images from the final episodes of whatever particular show you're searching for.

Simple solution: give me the option to hide the video previews, or disable them completely.
Aug 29, 2020 7:43 AM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
3 duplicate threads merged.
TenshoSep 1, 2020 9:56 AM
Sep 1, 2020 7:19 AM

Dec 2019
This happens for any animes that are on crunchyroll.

crunchyroll and mal are parteners so most (or all) videos on crunchyroll are added on the anime page and the thumbnail is always displayed.

This can't be helped and I doubt that it will be considered a bug and changed in the future, this is more like a suggestion.

Thumbnails not always displays any spoilers of the video, any pirate website displays 1 video thumbnail before the user press play, that never afected anyone's life or spoiled anything really important most of the time
Click here to see My Tampermonkey Scripts For MAL

If you like my work, please consider supporting it!
https://www.patreon.com/hacker09

Sep 3, 2020 12:24 PM

May 2015
For anyone that doesn't want to wait a decade for MAL to do something about this, I found two solutions:

• in ublock origin, add this custom filter: myanimelist.net###episode_video
  • in stylus, write a new style for myanimelist.net and paste this: #episode_video { display:none !important; }
Oct 4, 2020 4:22 PM

Feb 2015
This is something that bothered me for a while. I'd always have to try to avert my eyes when viewing an anime page to avoid spoilers from the episode thumbnails. I decided to throw together a script to fix the problem tonight, but figured I should suggest it as a feature too. Apologies if this is a feature already, I couldn't find it.

If anyone is interested in using or viewing the script I made in action, check this post.
_Jordo said:
I was getting sick of opening anime pages and having to try to avoid focusing on the block that shows thumbnails from each episode, so I threw together a quick script that automatically hide them by default. You can toggle them on/off again above by clicking the button above where they would be, beside "More Videos". Figured I should share it for anyone else in the same boat.

Hidden (default):

Show:

How to install:
Install a browser extension that enables user scripts such as Violentmonkey, Geasemonkey or Tampermonkey and click the install button on this page.
_JordoOct 10, 2020 2:25 PM

Oct 9, 2020 10:33 PM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
Duplicate thread merged.
Sep 11, 2021 3:56 PM
Sep 2017
Its been 5 years and this shits still up? Come on now how does it make any sense to have these in the first place? WOW COOL SLICK DESIGN OH YEAH! ok cool bruh why does your cool slick website design have to spoil people of ending events of animes when you as an anime informating/sharing site is here to help people get into new animes to watch. Im pretty sure no one wants these kinds of spoilers to begin with.

Imagine someone thinking about maybe finally starting something like Naruto or smth, they proceed to watch like 20 eps and suddenly one day they they look at the episode thumbnails and BOOM there he/she is! That one character who appeared in a recent episode is revealed to live out through to the last episode! YAY ENDING CHARACTER REVEALS ON AN 200+ EPS LONG SHOW! Im sure people really want that! The same can be said for shit like One-Piece, Bleach, FMA, AOT and so on. Like cmon the fix really can't be that hard.

Well of course the workaround has already been discovered by using adblockers etc. but MAL don't want people to be using those in the first place. ALSO the workaround is not that simple that people can simply just find this stuff. Im sure most people don't check the forum or letalone know about this thread at all.

basically what im saying is, MAL its been 5 f***ing years
fix your shit pls
Oct 22, 2021 5:40 PM
May 2017
El-Melloi said:
For anyone that doesn't want to wait a decade for MAL to do something about this, I found two solutions:

• in ublock origin, add this custom filter: myanimelist.net###episode_video
  • in stylus, write a new style for myanimelist.net and paste this: #episode_video { display:none !important; }
Thank you, white ublock, it work fine and you saved me a lot of spoiler from today :)
Jan 21, 2022 9:07 AM
Jan 2016
MAL: This problem can easily be fixed if you just reverse the order of the episode list. When a user loads the page, they can only see a few of the thumbnails. It's not a big deal if the thumbnails are that of the first few episodes.
Oct 10, 2022 7:06 AM
Feb 2021
SuperSoldier said:
Hey guys!

Whilst we're waiting for MAL's top brass to address this essential issue, I have come up with a makeshift solution to be used meanwhile.

It's not so difficult to BLOCK ALL EPISODE PREVIEWS displayed on entry pages; just follow this tutorial.

This method requires some kind of advertisement blocker for your browser. I used AdBlock with Chrome, but I'm sure there are other such extensions for both Chrome and other browsers. Although the process won't look the same, it'd be identical in essence, you'll get the point.

I have tested it and seems to work on all pages. As long as MAL doesn't change its page layout (class names), this method should continue to do the job.

You know how they say: A block every day keeps the spoilers away!
I'll show myself out...

Have a great one, guys!

Bro, I am really thankful for sharing this with us! GOODBYE TO SPOILERS! :)
Miras1derOct 10, 2022 7:21 AM
Dec 8, 2022 11:05 PM

Jun 2017
It seems really strange to me that this still hasn't been addressed after over 6 years... It would be nice if the MAL staff would at least say why they don't want to change this detrimental design choice...

Can't there at least be something in the account settings so people can choose which order of episodes they want as the default?
Jan 26, 2023 4:44 AM
Mar 2011
Hi. I hope you're having a good day. That being said, I'm wondering why this problem is still not fixed. Many have suggested in the past to either hide or remove the "Episode Videos" section or at least have it show the first episodes, not the last episodes. I have seen spoilers in this "Episode Videos" section many times in the past. I often hesitate to recommend MAL to friends because of this problem. Besides this thread, there are many more other threads like this one: 

"Episode Videos" section thumbnails - start from earliest episodes
MyAnimeList (MAL) "Episode Videos" Hider
Details on Anime Page: Option to Turn off Episode Videos
Episode Videos containing spoilers
An option to hide episode videos from the anime entries' pages would help a lot
Episode Videos photo hiding
Can Episode Videos Be Sorted or at least Hidden?
Spoiler in the "Episode Videos" thumbnail
Removing Episode Videos from entries
Thumbnails of episode videos
Episode Videos in Anime Pages may contain spoilers sometimes
Put the 'Episode Videos' section in chronological order instead?
Is there a way to avoid "Episode Videos" spoilers?
Please change the order of "Episode Videos" on anime pages to oldest first.
Any way to hide Episode Videos tab ??
Can we do something about the "Episode Videos" section showing in reverse order?
Is it wise to begin with the last episode on 'episode videos'?
and more...

EDIT: Third party script is not helpful. Not only I don't want to have to run a script to make this work, but more importantly, I want to be able to share MAL pages with friends who may not have any script or even any MAL account yet.
chinonamidaJan 26, 2023 5:03 AM
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
2 hours ago

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
12 hours ago

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Yesterday, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Yesterday, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.