Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (17) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 3, 2016 7:44 PM

Sep 2013
I thought that was a pretty great but I am worried about people saying that it's going to get much more graphic and darker. Might need to look into some spoilers.
Apr 3, 2016 7:47 PM

Jan 2015
Episode 1B

I knew she gave him a fake name but the name of her enemy seriously ?? :X
Apr 3, 2016 7:53 PM

Nov 2015
Chabe said:
Jagd84 said:

No it's because he act like was a premonition is why did what he didn't immediately understand the situation. The situation in itself is outlandish even by fantasy standards and makes no sense why it would even be happening in the first place. It's normal to be disoriented and confused. He's whole death supposedly seemed like a dream than anything.

Since when is time travel outlandish by fantasy standards? You think that time travel/visions of the future make no sense? Y'know what makes no sense, being transported to a fantasy world on the way home from the shop, yet he took that just fine.

Like I've been saying, the problem isn't that he was disorientated and confused after time traveling, the problem is that he was like that for the entire episode, for at least half a day in world. He didn't even realise the 3rd time it happened either. If you people favour stupid MCs for shitty drama then that's fine, but don't pretend that the average person wouldn't have noticed something.

Well you can't really blame him for the second loop and not noticing because his death became a huge shock to him, and he thought it was just a bad nightmare or premonition. For the third loop I'm pretty sure he'll start realizing it more and more.
Apr 3, 2016 7:54 PM

Apr 2015
talentlessash said:
I thought that was a pretty great but I am worried about people saying that it's going to get much more graphic and darker. Might need to look into some spoilers.

I'll keep it simple and direct for you if that's okey, less spoilerish you know :).

So you see this episode was a calk walk compared to what happens later on. And even this is nothing in terms of being disturbing and brutal.
Apr 3, 2016 8:18 PM

Jul 2014
Damn, the 1st ep had so much impact, calling it right now! this will be the anime of the season!
Apr 3, 2016 8:27 PM

Jun 2014
before preview: eh not sure what to think, but it looks good and matches genres i like
after watching preview: oh gawd its full of furries. this is gonna be some weird ass furry weabo shit isnt it?
after watching ep1: oh okay, the "demihumans" are at least bearable.

but really though, this exceeded my expectations by far.

Time resets with Subaru dies; however, his actions were so different between the 1st and 2nd loops; and now the half-elf doesnt know him. ep "1b" showed the other side of the story we didnt see in "1a", now the question is, who is the half-elf girl anyway? it was obvious she gave a fake name in the first time sequence.

okay, but a hikkomori that works out? bahahahahahahahhahaahahahaahahhahha
but Subaru's face reminds me of 1) Mikado. 2) another MC but i cant put my finger on it
Apr 3, 2016 8:33 PM
Dec 2014
Think this is going to turnout to be a good show lets just hope the hype continues every week only thing that was annoying was having a stupid character who can't even fathom the possibility of having gone back in time with his memories attached just irritates me when there completely clueless as so why no one remembers him
Apr 3, 2016 8:46 PM

Mar 2013
That was... quite the suprise huh. I didn't think it would be that dark for a fantasy series with this concept. I liked it. A lot actually. It'll be nice if it gets more gorey and dramatic. I guess he still has the chance to change the future.
Apr 3, 2016 8:49 PM
Jul 2018
I'm surpised by the score the series already have, i started watching without any pretension but turned to be interesting
Apr 3, 2016 8:49 PM
Aug 2011
Oh man it's always the big titty bitch who fucks things up first.
Apr 3, 2016 8:52 PM

Oct 2013
Not bad at all, the first part was a bit slow, but the second one picked up. Not too sure how this time travel stuff works, but we shall see how it goes. Solid first episode.
Apr 3, 2016 8:59 PM

May 2010
Interesting save point at the appas guy.
Apr 3, 2016 9:02 PM
Jan 2013
Really like that ED.
The OP already out, so where the ED song ?
Apr 3, 2016 9:03 PM

Jul 2013
That was a surprisingly good pilot episode! I only checked it out because I liked the PV's soundtrack, but I was really impressed by this first episode. Looking forward to next week. :D
Apr 3, 2016 9:03 PM

Sep 2013
Fappa said:
talentlessash said:

I'll keep it simple and direct for you if that's okey, less spoilerish you know :).

So you see this episode was a calk walk compared to what happens later on. And even this is nothing in terms of being disturbing and brutal.
I can put up with that, it's not all that different from this episode, but that "what happens later on" is a concern. Appreciated, guess I'll have to wait and see?
Apr 3, 2016 9:09 PM

Mar 2016
NOTE: Anime watcher only, this was my first intro to this series.

I kinda feel bad for the main character in this.

He's going to be re-living a year or so's worth of "Groundhog Days" to get through the arc that is this series, but all the other characters will only experience like a week of time, max. Not to mention, him remembering the feeling of his death as many times as it takes for him to do whatever he was dragged into the world to do.

It is pretty good and very intriguing though.

4/5
Apr 3, 2016 9:16 PM

Mar 2014
i found the MC is pretty annoying. every MC transferring to another world is all a fking neet/hikikomori in reality. so lame
Apr 3, 2016 9:25 PM
Aug 2010
AOTS, definetly will keep watching this every week
Apr 3, 2016 9:40 PM

Oct 2013
Pretty decent couple of episodes. Subaru seemed to be a very run of the mill shut-in nerd that you seem to find in every single anime akin to this, but there was a few more characterization efforts with his personality and dialogue. He is a shut-in character that feels like a real person, not a shut-in overpowered character archetype like Kirito or the like. For example, at the convenience store, he is reading what seems to be a typical high school manga, and sighs when he sees a couple walking by the street, implying that maybe he isn't all too happy with his more reserved lifestyle. All the stuff where he thinks that since he is transfered to a fantasy world he is entitled to be overpowered was pretty funny stuff.
He still has that problem with main characters of this type where they feel the need to be helpful to everyone without really giving an explanation, but since the whole narrative of the show seems to rely on what choices he makes, it sort of makes more sense.

Speaking of, the whole structure of this show seems really similar to a visual novel. It's like Subaru has to make all the right choices to get to the good end, and if he gets the bad end, he restarts the game and tries again. Stein's;Gate is similar in this regard, but this isn't adapted from a visual novel like Stein's;Gate is, which is interesting. I wonder if this is actually a thing, or some random bullshit comparison I created (probably the latter :P).

This show has some good comedy, and while the tone shifts from comedic to the more darker stuff aren't too drastic, there are A LOT of them. That's my major flaw with the series so far. I just hope the show doesn't derive into another edgefest like Akame ga Kill with an MC who has Reading Steiner.

What really surprised me though was how dialogue heavy this show was, and it pulled it off really well. The dialogue and character interactions was very flavourful, making up for the rather lackluster visual presentation of this show.

tl;dr good stuff so far, but it could go south in so many ways, so I'm still apprehensive.
TokyoSanchezApr 3, 2016 9:51 PM
Apr 3, 2016 9:42 PM

Feb 2009
I will keep watching this for now, but I gotta say there was WAYYYY too much exposition dialogue for me. Part of the beauty of anime is being able to just SHOW something without talking through the whole thing, so that kinda annoyed me more than I thought it would. Characters were meh to me for now, but the plot is fairly interesting....

Also, did anyone else think the alleyway scene was animated really weirdly? Like I feel like there could have been a much more interesting way to present his scuffle with those bandits.

Oh well, these are just my feelings on the series so far; hopefully the dialogue gets less wordy and the characters get more interesting.
Apr 3, 2016 10:05 PM

Mar 2009
stand said:
Oh man it's always the big titty bitch who fucks things up first.

And it's always the one with the sexy voice you have to be wary of.

HOLY MOOD WHIPLASH, BATMAN. The first episode was pleasant and lighthearted, I guess you can say. But things sure got dark in the 2nd episode. I wasn't going to watch this, thanks to the double-episode(this is a busy season) and also because other sites(like ANN, for one) were critically panning this show, but I'm glad I did. It was definitely interesting, despite the shift in tone. For now, I'm in. Can't say I understand why ANN was so tough on this one. I expected it to be downright awful, the way they were going on about it. Glad I always watch things for myself, instead of relying on previews and reviews. It even had some of the best animation of the season. Someone already highlighted it in this thread.

Guess we'll see where it goes from here - if it remains dark, or it goes back to the lighthearted tone of the first episode.
Apr 3, 2016 10:08 PM
Jul 2018
wow this was surprisingly good, i had high expectations before i started watching and definitely my expectations were met and they went beyond my expectations
i like the mc, he's pretty cool and funny n all
satelle (which i don't think is her name, she probably lied to subaru) looks beautiful and kinda reminds me of oreshura mc (appearance wise)
i like the whole 'going back to past to save her' thingy
obv satelle doesn't know subaru now, so i wonder what'll happen now
5/5
Apr 3, 2016 10:09 PM

Mar 2010
X-axis said:

Well you can't really blame him for the second loop and not noticing because his death became a huge shock to him, and he thought it was just a bad nightmare or premonition. For the third loop I'm pretty sure he'll start realizing it more and more.

Ding!Ding!

Apr 3, 2016 10:17 PM

Jul 2014
Solid start; interesting history and decent art. It has great potential.
Apr 3, 2016 10:28 PM

Nov 2007
Jagd84 said:
X-axis said:

Ding!Ding!

I dunno what you guys are talking about but by the third loop he already realized he is repeating it. That was the reason why he fainted in front of that appa-store.

Also, he mentions that he died in his third loop.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Apr 3, 2016 10:38 PM

Jan 2015
shanimebib said:
Jagd84 said:

Ding!Ding!

I dunno what you guys are talking about but by the third loop he already realized he is repeating it. That was the reason why he fainted in front of that appa-store.

Also, he mentions that he died in his third loop.

Well you know what they say; kill me once shame on you, kill me twice shame on me.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Apr 3, 2016 10:38 PM

Nov 2011
the last part sucks. So he knows he died, so he knows the time travel now but he talked to someone who does not know him yet, thats dumb from someone established to be genre savvy. Also took him too long considering how fine he is being transported to a different world.
"Why do I always realize it... when I've already lost it..." -Guts, Berserk
"Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained." -Gilgamesh, Fate/stay night
"We are constantly living in a peaceful world that somebody else won for us. Even if it were only a day of peace, I will be grateful for its value." - Minashiro Tsubaki, FAFNER
"Screw you, future me!" -Makise Kurisu, Steins;Gate
"We used to show off by waging wars and whatnot." -Watashi, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
"Call me Moses. I'm going to part the sea of students before your eyes." -Moses?, Valvrave
"Time is guilty." -Andō & Tomoyo, INOU-Battle
Apr 3, 2016 10:49 PM

Sep 2015
do you think the bd version will be uncensored?

Apr 3, 2016 10:55 PM

Mar 2015
ButtSlapper said:
i found the MC is pretty annoying. every MC transferring to another world is all a fking neet/hikikomori in reality. so lame
dude, do you even watch the show? he is delinquent highschooler.

and no, not even "issekai" trope is mainly neet/hikikomori. i only can spell 4 (outbreak company, NGNL, ixion saga and kono subarashi) when the rest series is not (inuyasha, elf wo karu montachi, fuushigi yuugi issekai seikishi monogatari, digimon, twelve kingdoms, escaflowne)

you sound like a nitpicking people who judge the whole trope just because one fucking shows.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 3, 2016 11:01 PM

Mar 2010
ernst said:
the last part sucks. So he knows he died, so he knows the time travel now but he talked to someone who does not know him yet, thats dumb from someone established to be genre savvy. Also took him too long considering how fine he is being transported to a different world.

He didn't really take too long, time travel really isn't first thing an one think in his situation when all his memories are all muddle and everything happening so quickly. It's all h

Of course he'll eventually start getting it. The reason he acted like that towards Satella is be he lost thought process when she appeared and acted on impulse because he's been wanting to meet up with her badly. That's not unusual.
Iron_MawApr 3, 2016 11:32 PM
Apr 3, 2016 11:06 PM

Dec 2014
Ok Loved the first episode hooked me in completely....
Subaru.. Will he die again and again in this series trying to save everybody or the plot will unfold more
Apr 3, 2016 11:15 PM

Nov 2014
i know my LN but this show got passed my radar, im actually watching blind haha

best of the 1st episode for lineup for spring.

will definitely watch, but i guess i'll read the LN later

5/5
Apr 3, 2016 11:52 PM
Nov 2010
Really interesting premise. Really liked the style of pacing and narration, the confusion really added the the impact making the cliff hangar at the end even more interesting.

I liked the character designs as well. Can't wait to see what this has in store for us.
Apr 4, 2016 12:06 AM

Nov 2012
Ok so far, looks kind of interesting....
Not sure why, but it felt bit too slow paced IMO....
Apr 4, 2016 12:28 AM

Oct 2010
Holy hell. I had no expectations about this show at all. Not positive or negative. I liked the voice cast and the plot sounded "okay". I watched episode 1A and was like "oh..that ended at an odd time...". Then I found out 1 B existed, watched that and was completely blown away. What an amazing "2nd half" that was. Not saying Part A was bad, it was just obviously slower paced. Great introduction, and the part B was a great way to finish off that chapter, especially the very end where the learn what that name really is. I have extremely high hopes for this anime now.

Also, Mamiko Noto finally makes an INSANE come back. One of the best seiyuu ever, a lot of newer fans don't even know who she is because he hasn't had any big roles in a while. Elsa though...holy hell! Easily the best acting I've heard in a very long time. Welcome back!
KougeruApr 4, 2016 12:33 AM
Apr 4, 2016 12:41 AM

Dec 2008
After Episode 1A I wanted to drop this (I think I missed while watching the PVs that this will be rpg game setting, which are usually boring for me. I thought this will be completely different thing ;p).

After Episode 1B, I will watch more ep. just to see how this will end.
Apr 4, 2016 12:41 AM

Jun 2014
Wow, I'm surprised. I thought this() was going to have boring MC's.
But both MC's are ok if not really good and Subaru can atleast fight a bit.
Although its pretty stupid of him to call Satella like that when he knew she doesn't know him, but I guess its pretty hard to control your emotions. Especially after two deaths.
Edit: And female MC's hair colour isn't pink. XD
Heartman said:
I'm probably more bothered than I should be at the fact that MC is a supposed gamer and he didn't pick up on the fact that he was "reloading from a checkpoint".
Hahaha, right. This made me lol
8/10
Akatsuki_NinApr 4, 2016 1:05 AM
Apr 4, 2016 1:24 AM

Jan 2013
Man I hate that kind of self aware bullshit light novel main character. Proclaiming that you are now in an overused isekai setting waiting for the events isn't funny. It's desperate, Like the author yelling "I know this isn't creative but this is what the audience wants I'm sorry!"
Makes me appreciate Grimgar's cast so much more...
First half was almost unbearable.

Second half...Yeah so this'll be a trial and error type show where people are constantly amazed "HOW CAN HE KNOW THIS OMG". Kind of takes away any real tension when he can just reset like that.
They'll prob be all honorable about it and have him say 'I'll sacrifice our memories together if it means saving youuuuu'. Duh.
Not too exciting.
Apr 4, 2016 1:38 AM

Dec 2014
That was a really great start, Went in blind without really knowing or expecting anything but that was a great first episode.

I like Satella already xD
Subaru seems like a pretty cool guy from the looks of it. His power seems pretty similar to Satoru's from Erased, Except that Subaru's seems to trigger on death.

Elsa is quite psychotic but I don't dislike her :P

Looking forward to this, Seems really good :D
Apr 4, 2016 2:19 AM

May 2014
I have no idea WTF i just watched
Elsa tho...
"I lost all of what you could call feelings of love. They weren't sealed, so they can't be released. They weren't broken, so they can't be fixed. That which is lost, cannot be recovered." Shiba Tatsuya
"There are no regrets. If one can be proud of one's life, one should not wish for another chance." Saber
"No matter what happens, no matter how crazy things get, I'll always try to restore balance." Korra
"It's madness to let others take what's yours and accept it blindly." Baatar Jr
"Instinct is a lie, told by a fearful body, hoping to be wrong." Zaheer
"Partner in crime, partner in time" Chloe Price and Max Caulfield
Apr 4, 2016 2:23 AM
Jul 2012
NaturalPerm said:

Kind of takes away any real tension when he can just reset like that.

LOL at this statement.
Apr 4, 2016 2:27 AM
Jul 2015
I loved the first episode. I usually don't go to the anime lists so i don't get spoilers. But after watching it, i can't help myself. Thought it was like boring harem stuff. But naaaaaahhh. Way better. At least on the plot and graphic.
Apr 4, 2016 2:29 AM

Oct 2015
That was a really good start. o u o
Love the art and the animation. ♥
Nice character designs, especially Satella's & Felt's.
(They are so adorable, I can't. \\\ )
The usual mc, nothing special about him.( ̄^ ̄)
At least he's likeable and not a weakling which is most important.

As always, the big breasted ho3 has to ruin it all. #thumbsup
Srsly, she reminds me of Dead Master a lot. e_e
Looks somewhat like Dead Master & personality like Rize's.
Nice combo there. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Looking forward for more of this.
Apr 4, 2016 2:32 AM
Jan 2013
Gonna watch this!
so! he's on the loop! with otaku shut in background...
yet, he's so stupid he act wishy washy with enemies, like he never read a manga...
God, he's FUCKING STUPID!!!
well, i'll be patient!!
Apr 4, 2016 2:41 AM

Apr 2015
Samhiuy said:
NaturalPerm said:

Kind of takes away any real tension when he can just reset like that.

LOL at this statement.

Well let the anime wrong him in this aspect. He couldn't be more wrong LOL
Apr 4, 2016 2:44 AM

Dec 2014
As a LN read i really like the first 50 min episode.
Gawd the show is everything i hoped for.
The voice actors are pretty good and overall Episode was well done. (Awesome animation)
Subaru is one of the rare MCs that feel and think like a human.
Best anime of the season. <3
Apr 4, 2016 3:51 AM

Apr 2013
Love the setting and the character interactions so far. Action was nice too. A very intriguing start so far with the loops and the ending. Can't wait for more~
Apr 4, 2016 4:08 AM

Jan 2011
I went into this series blind and at first this definitely reminded me of KonoSuba. However, then it started reminding me of All You Need Is Kill/Edge of Tomorrow with the whole 'reset' thing after dying yet retaining the memories that happened before each death.

Part A of the episode was really fun and relaxing. I knew Satella's voice sounded oddly familiar and to think Megumin's VA voices her; makes the whole KonoSuba comparisons even more ironic haha. I really like her voice though, suits the character really well. Seeing Puck transfom into a huge cat was pretty funny yet weird at the same time. I really like Subaru's personality but I'm more interested in how he got his ability to repeat moments in time after dying.

Part B of the episode was where things got even better. Felt and Rom were cool characters and seeing them interact with Subaru was pretty enjoyable, especially Subaru showing them his mobile phone. Elsa is one psychotic sadistic woman though, holy hell. She killed Rom and Felt with ease then eventually killed Subaru soon after. I honestly didn't expect this anime to go in this direction especially with the gore blood.

The animation is top-notch and has some beautiful scenes especially when Satella was casting her magic at the end of part A. Although, there are some parts where there's CGI which looked a bit awkward but it wasn't too bad. I loved the OST/insert song that played at the very end of the episode; those vocals. <3 Subaru woke up and he sees Satella and yells our her name but then she replies that he shouldn't call her by the Jealous Witch's name. I had to check MAL later and seems like her real name is Emilia. That ending shocked yet confused at the very same time. Either way this anime has definitely got my attention and I'm excited to see where this goes.
5/5
Apr 4, 2016 4:08 AM
May 2011
After seeing this was a two-part first episode I knew it would be something great. This style of writing is absolutely sublime when done well.
Apr 4, 2016 4:11 AM

Jan 2015
This is good!
Part A finished now moving on to Part B
The art, animation, sound all are good
WhiteFox doesn't disappoint
Voice acting isn't bad too, we got Megumin's VA voicing the heroine and the MC's VA doing a good job too
Bloody scene, MC gets attacked, fucka is about to die.
Shiet now heroine gets attacked and she's about to die too
REVIVAL, the fuck, this some Boku dake shit
CG in the background
The killer is here, I bet she's the one who asked the blonde to get the emblem.
She's hot.
Ok so she's not the real "client" but she's probably the one who killed them earlier.
Good action
Blondie and Rom both are dead.
THATS A MASOCHIST.
Ayy lmao he's dead again
What a fucking episode, great first episode. The best introduction of this season!
3.4/5
Pages (17) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 1, 2016

631 by XionnaMing »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2016

715 by XionnaMing »»
Yesterday, 1:39 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2016

2072 by Nanami0007 »»
Yesterday, 11:07 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 17, 2016

538 by XionnaMing »»
Yesterday, 10:41 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2016

510 by XionnaMing »»
Yesterday, 10:14 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.