Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 29, 2008 7:46 AM
Sep 2007
As the title said. I am STUNNED at how much crap they put in the last few episodes. I enjoyed the series to a point, heck I even had hopes for a decent ending. But no. They killed it. Stabbed it in the back and throat multiple times with a dull spoon. I couldn't even bear to watch the final episode. and this made me a sad panda...
FlyingRamenOct 28, 2008 5:14 PM
Mar 7, 2008 2:05 PM

Dec 2007
I'm sorry...are you complaining about something in particular or just bitching 'cause you were bored? :P
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
May 21, 2008 4:51 AM
Mar 2008
Nope he's right that was total bullshit i want my money back, and i didn't even pay.
Jul 13, 2008 10:05 PM

Jun 2007
The poetics at the end were pretty obvious, but I thought they were pretty in keeping with the rest of the show. Because Solo's "ideal woman" was a fantasy and not real (like Sayoko), he ended up with an arrow through the chest. Bocca's choice to acknowledge the imperfect reality made him a warrior in the beginning and saved his life in the end.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Aug 4, 2008 12:15 PM

Jul 2008
Torisunanohokori said:
The poetics at the end were pretty obvious, but I thought they were pretty in keeping with the rest of the show. Because Solo's "ideal woman" was a fantasy and not real (like Sayoko), he ended up with an arrow through the chest. Bocca's choice to acknowledge the imperfect reality made him a warrior in the beginning and saved his life in the end.

I though so too. I will share another nice thing with you: This anime reflects in part a alternate reality connected to our world. Think of cults and child kidnappings or politics and cults. Demon or Alien race whorshipping that requires human sacrifice and yes it is true it is a logical preference that the meat be young like children or in the case of Pee (girl in the last episode that is to be sacrificed) teenagers with their virginity intact (a concept of Satanic or Demonic cults which can also substitute these entities with Ancient Alien Races. That is however a free though of what you think of this but reality sometimes is not far from fantasy if you can think it through besides furthermore it can go as far as our incapacity to fuel all the poor and enrich ourselves but that is another though circle. Anime sometimes tells the truth after all but never 100%. That truth you must figure it out yourself, after all we are all different.
Oops! I appear to be incapable of following Rules 16 and 17, so I had to have a mod change my sig for me.
May 17, 2009 11:29 PM
Jul 2008
i dont know what this show is going on......
Apr 21, 2010 8:04 AM
Jul 2008
Melos means = A collection of sounds that constitute a melody

The ending was exactly what needed to happened.

2 things.
The most dangerious monster is a human monster. Because a human monster has a soul and substance and power. An actual monster doesn't. So if a monster can get a human to turn into a monster he becomes far more powerful.

Second, trying to fight the system from within eventually corrupts you.

The third monster king showed the truth of this. Notice that he was referred to as a "monster" in the last episode when that girl said "YOu let that monster live."

The reason bokka survived was because he was the purest of the Melos Warriors. It's like how when you turn a light on the darkness goes away. The monsters simply tried to trick you into not turning the lights on.

Killing a real monster is to rid the world of darkness and fear.But to kill a human monster is to kill a human. For the light can never become darkness. A human monster is one who has been fooled into believing by himself or by others that he is indeed evil.

Bokka needed to let him live because killing him is simply not a solution. Killing is a problem. You can't solve a problem with another problem.

The reason bokka had to walk the earth with his girl for which will probably be his whole entire life is because the ultimate way to lead is by example. Just like how Jesus had to come down to be our saviour. Bokka had to travel the earth to save the world.

In this way no longer was the "Melody Of Oblivion" was being played. Instead a new melody of hope, happyness, peace, and love would soon permieate through reality.

I could go on all day about this anime.

My favorite topic of discussion is when the monster king II said "humans were originaly stone."
Mar 27, 2011 7:06 PM
Mar 2011
There are so many unanswered questions in this series though. I'm wondering if they were planning on more episodes but ran out of budget and had to end it early.

What were the ape men? When the monster union guy was talking about them he seemed to indicate they weren't something he had created and that they had somehow been unable to evolve enough. However he also mentioned them de-evolving which suggest they were humans. I'm wondering if it was the power of one of the monsters that did it. Either way, why did that chief scientist try to cancel their plans for the Metronome when she learned of the ape men?

Why did Tsunagi run back into the flames when the ship was about to blow up? It seemed like he had suddenly realised something - I was half expecting him to show up later.

Who was the person in the audience watching Bocca when he was in the arena fighting Horu?

Since presumably only the Aibar machines who were outside of the ship were disabled, why didn't they evacuate their ship before it was blown up?

What exactly was the Melody of Oblivion? I get that her real body is presumably long since dead, but who was she? Solo seemed to treat her like a girlfriend but he was a former warrior which suggests she had been the Melody for longer than he has been around.

How exactly did the monster union manage to lure all the warriors of oblivion together and blow them all up? I didn't get how they managed to make them all gather together and why their plan required those other warriors to be in space at the time. Presumably also Kurofune is still alive since he was in the Labyrinth at the time. For that matter, Solo acts like Bocca will be the last warrior with no more to come - do they ever specify that you need to come into contact with a warrior to become one?

As for the "humans were originally stone" comment, I can think of two possibilities: a) humans were created artificially using some kind of science/magic out of stone b) the monster have been around for literally eons. They were alive even before human life or even life in general formed on Earth. As such, from their point of view humans literally came from stone - the Earth itself.
Jun 19, 2015 4:15 AM

Dec 2013
First half of this series was really good, I enjoyed it and couldn't stop watching.

Then, the second half of the series begins using and re-using stock footage and falling into habits that turned the episodes more into formula and troupe than they had been in the first half of the series. That's not to say the first half didn't have formula and troupe, because it did, but the second half seemed like they'd used up their budget too quick and were taking too many shortcuts.

And, those last four episodes were just crap. The constant cut-aways to comedy sketches and other unnecessary crap, plus the over-use of the overused stock footage that plagued the second half. The ending didn't really explain anything, but I was generous and gave this series a 6 out of 10.

Seriously though, what the fuck happened to the second half and ending of this series? It was like they killed their budget in the first half and ran out of plot ideas half way through the second half.
Odds are I'm not going to find my way back to a thread after my first post, it happens on occasion but not often. So, if I say something that offends you and you feel the need to force your opinion on me because obviously everyone should have your opinion or none at all, feel free to post it in the thread that I'll probably never see again. However, if you are interested in intelligent discourse, feel free to message me.
Feb 19, 2018 2:47 AM

Aug 2012
Holywhippet said:
There are so many unanswered questions in this series though. I'm wondering if they were planning on more episodes but ran out of budget and had to end it early.

What were the ape men? When the monster union guy was talking about them he seemed to indicate they weren't something he had created and that they had somehow been unable to evolve enough. However he also mentioned them de-evolving which suggest they were humans. I'm wondering if it was the power of one of the monsters that did it. Either way, why did that chief scientist try to cancel their plans for the Metronome when she learned of the ape men?

Why did Tsunagi run back into the flames when the ship was about to blow up? It seemed like he had suddenly realised something - I was half expecting him to show up later.

Who was the person in the audience watching Bocca when he was in the arena fighting Horu?

Since presumably only the Aibar machines who were outside of the ship were disabled, why didn't they evacuate their ship before it was blown up?

What exactly was the Melody of Oblivion? I get that her real body is presumably long since dead, but who was she? Solo seemed to treat her like a girlfriend but he was a former warrior which suggests she had been the Melody for longer than he has been around.

How exactly did the monster union manage to lure all the warriors of oblivion together and blow them all up? I didn't get how they managed to make them all gather together and why their plan required those other warriors to be in space at the time. Presumably also Kurofune is still alive since he was in the Labyrinth at the time. For that matter, Solo acts like Bocca will be the last warrior with no more to come - do they ever specify that you need to come into contact with a warrior to become one?

As for the "humans were originally stone" comment, I can think of two possibilities: a) humans were created artificially using some kind of science/magic out of stone b) the monster have been around for literally eons. They were alive even before human life or even life in general formed on Earth. As such, from their point of view humans literally came from stone - the Earth itself.

I think I can answer some of the questions:
"Who was the person in the audience watching Bocca when he was in the arena fighting Horu?"
his bike in humanoid form
"What exactly was the Melody of Oblivion? I get that her real body is presumably long since dead, but who was she? Solo seemed to treat her like a girlfriend but he was a former warrior which suggests she had been the Melody for longer than he has been around. "
The original leader of the monsters most likely. Once the original leader was killed the monster run amok so someone had to take its place.
"humans were originally stone" the monsters assumed in history the role of gods and spun the story that humans are created by them and as result they have complete rights over them
Jun 7, 2019 4:41 AM
Nov 2015
Also regarding "what was the Melody of Oblivion", they make it pretty clear that she is Sono's "ideal". A projection he creates, like a tulpa or thoughtform that comes from his power. That's what a "Melody of Oblivion" is; Bocca creates a Melody of Oblivion based on Sayoko as well, but he rejects it in favor of the real one.
Aug 11, 2020 11:09 PM

Jan 2018
thank you everyone for your kind answers.
I still want to know:
What the fuck are the monsters???
Why do they kill children?
What do they do with the bodies? they eat them or what??
How did the bunny girl and friends end up in space? they had another ship?
Are the rest of the cute waifus dead? what about Bocca's first girlfriend?
What's with the cow farm???
Aug 22, 2020 4:16 AM
Nov 2015
I need to watch it again to remember all the ~lore~, but the monsters are just forces that exist in this world, I think. What they do with their sacrifices varies by monster, Hecate turns them into bowling balls while Medusa turns them into statues. The Minotaur eats them.

The "real" answer as to the monsters, though, is that I think they are the nebulous systems of society (tradition, economy, law, etc.) that adults sacrifice children to in real life. All of Yoji Enokido's work deals with the difference between adults and children, and in this one there are some particularly blunt metaphors regarding this (i.e. in the dam arc adults work in a corporation that collects the tears of hurt children; in a later arc children are kidnapped on a boat almost literally named the S.S. Trauma).

More topics from this board

Poll: » Melody of Oblivion Episode 21 Discussion

HawthorneKitty - Mar 25, 2010

3 by Phobossus »»
Jan 16, 2:20 PM

Poll: » Melody of Oblivion Episode 4 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Feb 21, 2013

3 by Phobossus »»
Jan 14, 7:18 AM

Poll: » Melody of Oblivion Episode 24 Discussion

HawthorneKitty - Mar 25, 2010

12 by Catalano »»
Sep 8, 2023 8:55 AM

Poll: » Melody of Oblivion Episode 23 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Feb 22, 2013

3 by Gvendoline »»
Jun 3, 2023 7:29 AM

Poll: » Melody of Oblivion Episode 16 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Feb 22, 2013

3 by DINGO_SCUM »»
Mar 27, 2023 9:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.