Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]
Mar 31, 2018 3:04 AM

Mar 2016
Everything ended smoothly. Zolzal is basically defeated and humiliated. Itami's squad alone can easily infiltrate Zolzal's place wherever he is. Itami's threat to him was badass! He really made it clear to Zolzal that no matter how much he tries. Itami alone will find him. The bitch Bunny Tyuule crying for no reason is not as satisfying as a bullet hole in her head or any sort of things like that, but it's good enough I guess...

That's unusual... This episode will probably hurt some shippers. Usually, a show only teases characters' interactions so that the audiences can ship whoever they want to. But here they actually show some characters to be official couples! Bozes is beyond that though, she's pregnant! Seems like some character got their waifu and husbando!

This season is darker with more action and a more complex plot and way more focused characters on every episode. To top it off, Itami finally gets his day off after 1 year... Until he's arrested. I wonder what'll happen next, season 3 is not necessary because this season already ended well, but I'll love it if they ever did that...
ShadowkillZMar 31, 2018 3:18 AM
May 17, 2018 6:55 PM

Dec 2017
this is a good anime, i regret for not watching it sooner.

i love how Itami is just keeping his priority straight, and treat his job as a support for his hobby, despite being stationed in a freaking fantasy world where every single thing Itami imagined happened there. that’s some dedication otaku has for his doujinshi.

and i love the couple at the end too, especially Sugawara and Tueli, that’s some medieval romance drama right there, hope Sugawara don’t do anything illegal. and Also Yanagida and Delilah, i really curious how their child would be, it will be too bad if they can live in Japan. when the gate is closed, or destroyed, it will be pretty devastating for them couples and friends.

wish this has third season though
Aug 8, 2018 3:02 AM

Apr 2013
This was much better than I thought. I didn't like the mix of fantasy and modern in the beginning since I normally prefer pure fantasy worlds, but they executed this really well. I also liked most of the characters and the military stayed overpowered until the end which only makes sense.

Best girl is obviously Rory :3
8/10
Aug 25, 2018 12:36 PM

Jun 2011
LOL the ending is funny asf with the wife, like she somewhat expected this to happen or this had happened once in the past

Season 2 is quite a bit better than season 1 imo, especially the first half of season 2 that's about the dark elves rescue vs the red dragon and Lelei's admission into the magic academy arc. Not too fond of the stupid prince screentime but it was necessary I guess.. but the second half didn't exactly make him earn his screentime.. the whole revolutionary created by him and the bunny girl amounted to pretty much nothing, they got rekt EASILY once the JSDF got the order.

This show, in its core is basically pandering to the otaku, the moe otaku and the military otaku. There's a few special traits of their own in the series but ultimately I feel like there's not enough development for them to be called something of their own.

I've read a few reviews and looking back, I do see quite a bit of paedophilia pandering. The elf in Itami's group, the one who actually look quite grown up, turned into someone who's calling Itami "daddy".. Lelei and Rori (jfc Rori = loli) both look underaged asf.. There's also this whole thing with the Sugawara and Sherry pairing.. I thought the relationship started cute asf, Sherry having a crush on Sugawara and he felt uncomfortable about it.. then somehow after he saved her from the empire, their relationship is made canon? WTF? What about feeling uncomfortable about her being underage? They also had to force the humans from Japan to pair up with someone from the other world.. it really didn't feel very natural truth be told, especially the freakin furries.

Many reviews also called out the series for trying to paint JSDF/Japan to be this really kind forces.. at first I didn't really see it.. but after Delilah was captured and they were looking through the tavern and stuffs.. a soldier told the workers there that they will not be punished because it had nothing to do with them.. without further investigation.. really? There's a limit to how kind and good you can be.. they overdid it and it was cringy. It is also quite visible throughout the series if you pay attention to it.

There's quite a few stuffs the series have done correctly and it was rather enjoyable but just a few stuffs that the story added that didn't fit quite right makes the experience weird.. Itami being a 33 years old but an obsessed otaku is also a little bit uncomfortable. (not to mention he's this super-trained military soldier with SSS+ grade martial art skill)

Story could've expanded more on Itami's squadron as well, I barely recognize them aside from the 2 girls.

Almost forgot how the first 2 episodes of the first season sucked as well, the story went straight to the plot without really introducing the main characters. Lots of talks about the gate between the political figures from Japan in the first episode, then the Empire in the second episode.. That really left a huge negative first impression on me and it took quite a while until I am able to somewhat enjoy what the series had to offer. In some way, it's similar to how Overlord 2 focused on the Lizardmen tribe in the first 5 episodes which most of us didn't care about. It was just boring.

That said, season 3 would be welcomed as the story gets a bit more interesting and harem-y as the plot progresses further. I really do wish they expand a little bit more on some characters though. (like they did with Tuka and her trauma, though not a fan of how they cured her) The freakin bunny girl isn't sympathizable at all, she sacrificed her all and felt hollow in the end as she has achieved her goal, and yet I felt nothing for her.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Aug 31, 2018 8:17 PM
Dec 2014
Yeh this was better than expected, I'm also a pure fantasy guy and tbh the military stuff could've been excluded and it would be fine.

This season was definitly darker then the first with all the implied and non implied(first episode with the bunny girl) rape. I cant stand rape in any form, especially if they first make you care bout them.

Anyway suprised they even confirmed ships, though I shocked that Delilah and the officer guy got toghether, like she tried to kill him and they fall in love? I'm guessing she was brainwashed or something by the Pied Men.

I also like Harem but I cant see Itami respond to any of the three girls' feelings. One if basically is his daughter and she treats him as a father, the other is a 15 year old girl, though the negotiator dude's soon to be wife is 12. Then you have an immortal shinigami demigod, that soon will ascend to godhood. I'd like him to get toghether with the nurse from his team.

TLDR: unexpectedly good anime, 8/10.
Nov 19, 2018 4:30 AM

Mar 2012
Why must it always be older siblings that are evil or useless in anime!?

Overall anime was pretty good though.
Nov 27, 2018 6:40 AM

Dec 2008
Whats funny is that after rewatching both seasons, I find myself still a bit enamored with the show, but to a lesser extent. I still wish there would bea third season or movie to truly finish things; all the potential for more adventure in a fantasy worldnever truly bloomed from a certain point of view. Oh well.
Still, the series was good enough. 6/10
May 2, 2019 10:36 AM

Nov 2010
Damn, those lucky bastards from the SDF got lucky with those Rose-Order of Knights. hehe

Over all this anime is very good, but I can't help but feel that a lot of potential was missed with how the story progressed. Looking forward to season 3 if there is any.
Jul 5, 2019 7:35 PM

Mar 2016
So Japan gets an easily manipulable person on the throne. I thought the first season was entertaining enough and it'd work as a setup for a nice second season but this was just terrible. The marriage montage at the end was painful to watch.

Massive battles would've been easier to stomach than this nonsensical civil war where scared soldiers are mowed down while standing around offering little resistance since they have no idea who they're even fighting or why.

syncrogazerJul 5, 2019 7:52 PM
Aug 3, 2019 4:01 PM

Apr 2012

How did you two meet?
"I stabbed him in the back..."
"I shot her multiple times..."

NANI!!!
Janethan23Aug 3, 2019 4:06 PM
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Aug 22, 2019 6:59 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Great ending, Zorzal is finally taken down, and lmao the last minutes of the episode.
7/10 this was good, hope for a season 3
Jan 14, 2020 5:03 AM

Mar 2018
I am angry at the ending because the evil emperor didn't die, or even get punished. He was obviously a monster in the first half - fully as evil as his son Zolzal, just more competent and hence less obviously destructive.

And now apparently we're supposed to just forgive him? Bullshit.

There were good elements, though. I like Lelei.

I hate Itami and the harem element, but I like the secondary romances with Bozes, Shelly and Beefeater.
Jan 19, 2020 10:08 PM
Aug 5, 2020 1:27 PM

Aug 2012
I enjoyed both seasons overall but this second entry kind of let me down a little. I still found the series engaging and fun to watch but the story sort of collapsed under its own weight. So many plots were just left untouched by the end and most of this was because of the sheer amount of content thrown at us across these two seasons.

Perhaps most disappointingly of all though was how the whole 'reality' of a Gate to another world and the implications that has on our world stage is just completely dropped. Now admittedly I wasn't a huge fan of the big nasty USA, Russia and China hounding Japan, it was somewhat cliche in its presentation but it was totally realistic. Japan suddenly has the ability to mine resources of all kinds. The Global Market would collapse and it's not as if the show doesn't address this abit as the JSDF negotiate rights to free oil at one stage. In fact it is kinda funny how this show plays Japan as the super duper good guys while in reality they are, with decorum and class, setting themselves up to become Earths next super power and yet again none of that is really talked about after awhile.

This is why I think the show collapses under its own weight in the end because truthfully the implications of this other world are of such huge proportions that the show almost shies away from in the second season and instead just tells an isekai story but with the hook being the Japanese military being the strangers in another world. Perhaps in the end that is the story they should have told instead. It would make the other implications of the connected worlds simply disappear.

Anyway overall I still liked the show. It was fun but a tad disappointing.
Aug 8, 2020 1:04 PM

Jul 2008
Everyone got somewhat of a happy ending, but the Prince should have died in spectacular fashion. I want another season!

And poor Itami, he just wanted some doushinji...

Overall I really liked this show and Rory is best girl

8/10, will be going on the Blu ray shelf.
Aug 23, 2020 9:58 PM

Aug 2019
sure, that was a decent ending. Good way to wrap this series up i guess, prince jackass zolzal finally getting put in his place, having to bale somewhere else, Tyuule having a mid-life crisis and rethinking her life choices, JSDF and the pro-peace party finally establishing the long overdue handshake to stop the fighting. Pina got her place on the thrown finally, some very wholesome relationship reveals that i didn't expect and it can't be gate without Itami getting shafted right at the end xD My guy just wanted to get his favourite doujins and chill, not have to explain to the court that the small gothic maid loli that sticks to him is legitimately 961 years old and how he "legally" owns a dark elf.

Na but fr, i mean in my opinion, compared to s1, s2 did feel rather lacklustre to some degree in terms of action e.g the big scaled military battles like the very first time the military passed through the gate, the all-round defence in italica against the bandits. Like i understand that we are at the point in the anime were everyone and their mother, knows the JSDF is the stronger force, and peace is literally the easiest option at this point which leads to negotiations and such.

From itami's perspective since he is suppose to be the mc and all, really enjoyed watching what he was up to. Since they let him be a bit more 'free' this season, it was definitely enjoyable to see him travel around with his gang to Rondel, see the problems they faced and so on. Itami definitely stayed an enjoyable character through and through, Rory's interactions with him are always amazing i swear, really developed a liking to Lelei this time around as well, the whole Rondel city arc really opened her more up as a character and i really loved it. I think i can safely say, that Lelei is personally best girl of the series for me.

Characters, all the same but my biggest complaint was how much prince zolzal character fell so flat i swear. I get he's suppose to be an antagonist in this story, i get he's suppose to be Tyuule's puppet but my god, would it hurt to make he a tiny bit more, human? Like i swear, you could literally replace any of his script to words like "evil" "doom" "war" and it would literally make no difference, he almost exists like an npc who doesn't know who he really is, what he's really doing, he just knows he had to be bad. He also seemed a bit to much, like a puppet of Tyuule, like i swear at times you could piratically see the strings attached to him. Near the end, i don't think we saw him once think twice about the advice she was giving him at all, he was practically begging Tyuule for help. Honestly felt like Tyuule was talking to her favourite talking stuffed animal that could only agree with her.

All in all, i'd give it a 7/10. Definitely for me felt like a step down compared to season 1 but i still enjoyed this anime non the less. There seems to be possibility season 3, just whether the studio push through with it is another question, but i really hope they do, really enjoyed this anime and would love to see more.
Code0018Aug 23, 2020 10:08 PM
Sep 16, 2020 1:33 PM
Mar 2018
So, the power-rangers are back together to save the day. The dumb crown-prince is being dumb and had an even dumber giant that changed size in every shot and seems to have lost the fatal wounds after he died. And the JSDF has a slogan now, thanks to Itami. Recruiting should be easier now. Of course the king was never dead and everything was made after the japanese image, thus better than anything else. But someone should maybe tell the writers the difference about a country and an empire. And they could even avoid surrender that way; which totally has nothing to do with a certain other military in the past, which never did anything wrong. And everyone is happy and Yanagida probably has either stockholm syndrome or ptsd as well and also why is Delilah up and well and he in a wheelchair (other than being more dramatic). He should just have maybe lost a kidney or some damage in his side, while she was full of lead point-blank. And the otaku is back to being an otaku. The end. 7/10 Sign up to the JSDF today!
Mar 31, 2021 12:14 AM

Aug 2018
Just binge rewatched it, and it was better the second time through.
Apr 2, 2021 7:24 AM

Sep 2012
Janethan23 said:

How did you two meet?

NANI!!!

little fix
mommy daddy How did you two meet?
NANI!!!

lol
Sugram22Apr 2, 2021 7:31 AM
Apr 5, 2021 9:24 AM

May 2020
Itami be more busy right now. Hope there will be a seaoson 3.
May 31, 2021 3:05 AM
May 2021
Anyone... are there have a news that, Gate want to do a season3? And, is the novel/manga already finished as in the story? If there someone knows about this, please tell me. I was very upset when this story ended just like that. I really want a1-pic make a season3 for this story.for me,there's still hangs and there are some that are still lacking in this story, which makes me less satisfied and wonder. "is this story really over". like, when will the Gate disappear again and when it disappears, will Itami live in that world with that 3 girls, or will that girls follow Itami into his world? And there's to many question that still palaying in my brain.if anyone here also think so, please tag me and answer my question
Jun 10, 2021 6:14 AM
Dec 2018
Agree with everyone who thinks this needed a 3rd season. Still unanswered questions and there's enough there to continue. Enjoyed the show, shame that it's over.
Sep 10, 2021 1:55 PM

May 2015
Damn I love re-watching this series. There isn't any other series like this that has all this military stuff and military ops with all the vehicles etc like Gate. It really gets me in the military mood every time I watch it.

Well, time to go play GTA5 and do military stuff lol.
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 20, 2022 5:39 PM

May 2008
What a tremendous end!! Yes, I know the story isn't finished, I'll be looking for the manga to follow up on the adventures of Youji and his harem of Pina, Lelei, Rory, and Tuka. It was so good to see Youji's recon team back, especially Shino Kuribayashi. I don't care what you say, she was the cutest, and it's a shame she didn't get to pound on the clown prince bunny humper one more time.

Speaking of bad bunnies, I'm surprised that the cause of all this pain, Tyuule, stayed with Prince Emptyhead.

There's a couple of unanswered questions, like why didn't Komiko get to go back to Japan after she was liberated? what happened with the remaining Japanese prisoners? We know that there were at least two more and one died in the mines.

All in all, just a great, great story. Yeah, I picked on the aircraft a bit here and there whole lot, but it's entertaining and thought provoking. Well worth a re-watch and definitely worth the binge. Even the fringe characters like Risa, Delilah, and my absolute favorite Sherry were well written and entertaining.

I truly can't wait to watch it again.
May 10, 2022 7:40 AM

Sep 2018
Finally got around to watching this show and it was a lot more fun than I'd realised it would be.

I can't remember ever having laughed so much watching modern ordnance being unleashed on an unprepared enemy.

Quite a love letter to the JSDF

Perhaps it got a little flaky towards the end there but all in all a good ride

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Jul 17, 2022 4:04 AM

Jun 2015
After finding hidive and running out of new shows to watch, Ive binged Gate again. Damn why does this not have more seasons!! Its a quality show!!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Nov 1, 2022 2:03 AM
Mar 2021
The last episode completely describes how cool this show was
Dec 16, 2022 11:46 PM

Dec 2022
"Rory-sama!" and "Tuka!" were shouted many times and only ONE GUY shouted "Lelei-chan!". Unbelievable.

On a serious note, while Piña and the Emperor were rescued and we got to see some modern military vs. ancient military action, plus ogre slaying.

It's great to see the old gang get together again, which is kinda fitting for a last episode. Nothing beats the uniqueness of each member in Itami's squad/team. We all want more though, we can agree on that.

Dec 29, 2022 7:14 PM
Mar 2022
where's my man's ship: kurataxpersia?
Feb 16, 2023 10:13 PM

Sep 2018
Didn't feel this season as much as S1 unfortunately, a bit too much political drabble from like three or four different view points, my interest waning slightly. IMO, this show was at it's best when the main characters were exploring and creating connections, plus all the military equipment usage in S1. I just couldn't take the Empire seriously. 7/10. 
Jun 12, 2023 8:51 PM
Jun 2023
This season wasn't quite as good as season 1.
Sep 19, 2023 11:26 AM

Jun 2010
It sucks that it's ending here but at least it got most of the setup stuff out of the way.

Awesome rescue and look on the prince when they threatened him was... lol Got the princess and the king in one go.
Bunny queen got a little bit different scene here.. Instead of a sad wishing for rescue scene she had what appeared to be a remorse scene.
The scene with the princess taking her place as next in line was beautiful.. Seeing all the characters, knight girls, demi girls and other cuties.

The mass ship scene was my favorite part though.. lol I was really happy they worked in Bozes being pregs.. Such a cute couple. :D And just lol at Caty (purp haired knight girl) still being carried around by her new BF. They even worked in the Delilah ship! :D They make a perfect couple as well. Sherry even got her scene. hahahahaha

Poor Shandy not yet having a BF too. lol

Hahahaha OC MC skipped it to go to a manga con and it was cancelled.. and OC his harem showed up with him. Annnnnnd he gets arrested for some reason and see's his cute ex. ROFL He has 6 members of his harem now, if you count the princess. (7 if you want to count Shino)

All in all it wasn't a bad adaption. They cut out some of the good parts (full bath scene back in japan, the party after it etc)

It was a fun and interesting series in anime form. Just hope people know that the manga continues well beyond it. Too bad this didn't get continued.

9/10 for the series
9/10 for the ep

James_xenoSep 19, 2023 11:59 AM
Nov 17, 2023 8:07 AM

Nov 2023
Fun anime! I hope there's more anime soon 7/10
Dec 6, 2023 7:14 PM

Dec 2022
Bet this fantasy empire is really regretting the initial invasion they made in the first episode. Ever since then you've had modern armies coming in, defeating them in every single engagement, and taking all their women.

This seasons was leaps and bounds above the first season, which only really had Rory going for it. This time, the tension and intrigue are more apparent, there are a plethora of exciting battles, more characters get a chance to shine, and the fantasy world wasn't composed entirely of complete pushovers. All that said, I was confused to see that none of the Empire's soldiers were staffed by mages or wizards, who actually have a chance of competing against modern firepower. There were some random civilians and onlookers that had the magical capability to easily upstage any of the warriors in the Empire, yet somehow none of them were enticed into becoming soldiers themselves?

Shaded Horizon

Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri 2nd Season Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 19, 2016

136 by Jagermeister-kun »»
Mar 25, 3:18 AM

» Season 3? ( 1 2 )

AshAkinola - Mar 25, 2016

56 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Jan 18, 6:16 AM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2016

231 by Estefan »»
Jan 17, 7:42 AM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2016

190 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 6, 2023 6:34 PM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri 2nd Season Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 11, 2016

159 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 6, 2023 5:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.