Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 19, 2016 9:14 PM

Dec 2007
I'd been toying with this since a few episodes in, but site issues, time constraints, and a degree of apathy have held me back for awhile. After seeing frequent errors in discussion for recent episodes, I've decided to revisit this project. This is a brief overview of the nature and history of the equipment used in the anime, not an exhaustive guide. However, I'll at least identify the stuff so you can look up further information on your own if you so desire.

Part 1 focuses on stuff from the 1st season. Some things that are first seen in the second season, or go better with other things seen in the second season for consistency, will be found in Part 2. Part 2 can be found here

Without further ado:

Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Type 74 Main Battle Tank

Komatsu Type 96 Armored Personnel Carrier

Mitsubishi Type 73 Armored Personnel Carrier

Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Type 74 155mm Self-Propelled Howitzer

Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Type 87 Self-Propelled Anti-Aircraft Gun

ErwinJAApr 6, 2016 6:54 AM
Mar 19, 2016 9:24 PM
Apr 2013
I just want to say, I always love your work man. I had a blast reading your research on planes, tanks and ships featured in various anime titles. Subscribed.
Mar 19, 2016 9:39 PM

Dec 2007
Mitsubishi Type 82 Command & Communications Vehicle

Toyota BXD10 Mega Cruiser High Mobility Vehicle

Komatsu KU50W Light Armored Vehicle

Mitsubishi Type 73 Light Truck
Mar 19, 2016 11:17 PM

Dec 2007
worldeditor11 said:
I just want to say, I always love your work man. I had a blast reading your research on planes, tanks and ships featured in various anime titles. Subscribed.
Thank you. It's always a plus to get positive feedback. And yes, there's plenty more coming.
Back to the first batch:

Bell UH-1H/J Iroquois

Bell AH-1S Cobra

BGM-71 TOW-2 & Hydra 70 FFAR

Kawasaki CH-47J Chinook

OH-6J/D Cayuse
ErwinJAMar 25, 2016 11:31 PM
Mar 26, 2016 5:41 AM

Mar 2014
Any one knows what type of brevity codes the JSDF uses? In the episode where they kill the giant red dragon and the two smaller once, they get air supported from attack aircraft, here they say fox 2 fire, fox 2 is by NATO code a missle that uses infrared guidance system. And after that they say fox 3 but that means a active rader missle and not guns. The code for guns is fox 4 or guns, guns, guns.

I find it funny that they used the a10 warhog sound for some attack scenes.
Mar 29, 2016 12:14 AM

Dec 2007
Technici said:
Any one knows what type of brevity codes the JSDF uses? In the episode where they kill the giant red dragon and the two smaller once, they get air supported from attack aircraft, here they say fox 2 fire, fox 2 is by NATO code a missle that uses infrared guidance system. And after that they say fox 3 but that means a active rader missle and not guns. The code for guns is fox 4 or guns, guns, guns.

They use NATO standard because their primary ally, which whom they conduct joint operations, is the US. I discuss this in part 2
Apr 4, 2016 5:09 PM

Jul 2011
Technici said:

I mentioned that before on in the ep discussion, however as to the guns sounding like the GAU-8/A Avenger; is due to the F-4 Phantoms M61 Vulcan rotary cannon (20mm), which gave birth to the Avenger. Originally Phantoms did not have internal guns, and therefore had to be integrated with M61 gun pods (Later models incorporated it internally). The sound of the guns are identical/minute difference.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 4, 2016 6:10 PM

Nov 2008
That interesting that the Chinooks are locally made, you'd think those would be hand me downs from the US army surplus.

Apr 6, 2016 5:42 AM

Dec 2007
NIM7 said:
Technici said:

I mentioned that before on in the ep discussion, however as to the guns sounding like the GAU-8/A Avenger; is due to the F-4 Phantoms M61 Vulcan rotary cannon (20mm), which gave birth to the Avenger. Originally Phantoms did not have internal guns, and therefore had to be integrated with M61 gun pods (Later models incorporated it internally). The sound of the guns are identical/minute difference.
The M61 has a slightly higher pitch, but the sounds are indeed very similar, and only a trained ear would differentiate them that well.

Hoppy said:
That interesting that the Chinooks are locally made, you'd think those would be hand me downs from the US army surplus.
Well, Japan got them before there were many hand-me-downs to begin with - the US CH-47D was introduced in 1982, and the CH-47J just three years later. The US didn't even have enough D-model aircraft for itself at that time.

As for domestic production instead of buying straight from the seller, it's actually pretty common. Many nations want to do that when purchasing foreign equipment so at least some of the money is going back into their own economies. It's usually more expensive all told, but the economic benefits offset the higher costs. As such, nations that can afford it and get an agreement from the seller almost always choose this route. However, just because they're built locally doesn't mean they're built from scratch. In many licensed production cases, almost all the components are built by the vendor, and only final assembly occurs in the purchasing country. And while Japan clearly had some of its own things to put in, some amount of the parts were most certainly still produced in the US and then sent to Japan.
ErwinJAApr 6, 2016 5:47 AM
Jul 12, 2016 6:01 AM

Apr 2009
Thanks for this, really appreciate it in ways no mere words could express.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Aug 14, 2022 6:39 AM
I like water

Feb 2020
Thank you for taking the time to compile this, it's very interesting

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2015

186 by Shadized »»
Apr 14, 6:47 PM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2015

291 by Shadized »»
Apr 14, 10:24 AM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2015

283 by Myetx »»
Mar 30, 1:27 AM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 24, 2015

188 by Strahan »»
Mar 24, 6:37 PM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 7, 2015

436 by Rohanr »»
Mar 5, 8:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.