Forum Settings
Forums

Romantic relationships never really developing in anime?

New
Would you rather more relationships in anime begin earlier and progress more?
Mar 18, 2016 10:18 PM

Jul 2015
I have always been extremely annoyed by how it seems at least ninety five percent of the time romantic pairings in anime never progress or half the time even start. It's common place for the relationships to be delayed and held up for no reason and then either be left open ended or the mcs get together in the last episode with no time for development. I get that alot of anime are supposedly not "romance" based but there is no denying the writers play on it alot so if your gonna play on it that much in so many anime at least do it well and follow up.

One of the reasons I and many others really liked Rakudai and was surprised by it was because the mcs actually getting together so early on and developing as the show went on and this wasn't even a romance anime. That's the most annoying thing. When actual "romance" anime even do this and don't have the mcs do anything or get together really until the end. You would think with how many people this seems to always annoy and ship pairings writers at least some would try it the other way around. Trolling us is fine and good but come on be serious sometimes. Clannad being another example and why it is so loved by alot. The mcs actually get together and have time to progress alot and actually have a story. Just about every time this is done it's worked well and very well perceived.

I was just annoyed by this and though I'm sure some people differ and that's fine f anyone else felt like this and found it odd that nearly no anime do this? and why possibly other than just trolling which I think is stupid if you actually seriously want to make something good and make money.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 18, 2016 10:23 PM

Nov 2014
Dude Detective Conan
"You are Shinichi, right?" 1994-2016

Mar 18, 2016 10:23 PM

Apr 2015
You know the reason right? Most LNs never get adapted in their entirety and most romance LNs obviously leave the pairing up till the end
Mar 18, 2016 10:24 PM

Oct 2014
It would be nice if more anime romantic relationships actually went somewhere. Glasslip was probably the worst for this, although Gekkan Shoujo also didn't go anywhere in the anime (it is a parody, so it gets a bit more leeway). There are also anime like Sakurasou, Shugo Chara!, Nurse Angel Ririka, Kiniro Mosaic, Denpa Onna, and many others where there is hinted romance that is obvious to the viewer but never fully develops, which is very annoying.
Mar 18, 2016 10:31 PM

Sep 2012
It's because the authors don't actually have a story to tell. They just have character designs, and maybe some ideas for a scene or two. But they can draw well, so why not turn a few ideas swimming in your head into a manga?

And then the result is a half baked story that sells itself purely on character designs and stock personalities (which can't change or develop, because then you'd be getting rid of the only thing keeping people interested) that goes nowhere and is artificially perpetuated and drug out using inconsequential bullshit and faked overreactions to cause the illusion of drama while everything remains conveniently stagnant, until a half assed conclusion is thought of.
Mar 18, 2016 10:38 PM

Jul 2015
Man_Lanz said:
You know the reason right? Most LNs never get adapted in their entirety and most romance LNs obviously leave the pairing up till the end

This is exactly what I was saying though lol. They always wait until the end which I find annoying most of the time. It doesn't have to be super early but don't wait till the last episode. Your point about most source not getting fully adapted is a good point though but from what I hear for the most part the same problem persists even in manga,ln form to a lesser extent.

zombie_pegasus said:
It would be nice if more anime romantic relationships actually went somewhere. Glasslip was probably the worst for this, although Gekkan Shoujo also didn't go anywhere in the anime (it is a parody, so it gets a bit more leeway). There are also anime like Sakurasou, Shugo Chara!, Nurse Angel Ririka, Kiniro Mosaic, Denpa Onna, and many others where there is hinted romance that is obvious to the viewer but never fully develops, which is very annoying.

Yup pet girls a good example of what I meant.

Red_Keys said:
It's because the authors don't actually have a story to tell. They just have character designs, and maybe some ideas for a scene or two. But they can draw well, so why not turn a few ideas swimming in your head into a manga?

And then the result is a half baked story that sells itself purely on character designs and stock personalities (which can't change or develop, because then you'd be getting rid of the only thing keeping people interested) that goes nowhere and is artificially perpetuated and drug out using inconsequential bullshit and faked overreactions to cause the illusion of drama while everything remains conveniently stagnant, until a half assed conclusion is thought of.

You may be right and that's unfortunate but I mean dang looks like even on the spot going day by day they could come up with sommmmeeething lol. Fan fiction writers do it all the time. I thinks it's sad alot of fan fiction writers develop writers own charries and relationships better than the writer themselves.
Mar 18, 2016 10:39 PM

Mar 2016
Cody_Abbott said:
alot of anime are supposedly not "romance" based but there is no denying the writers play on it alot so if your gonna play on it that much in so many anime at least do it well and follow up.
In terms of storytelling, that is an excellent point. It's like a build up without a pay off at the end. Why that seems to be the "standard" for the majority of animes, I've no idea.
Recte Age Nil Time
Mar 18, 2016 10:44 PM

May 2015
I'm not the biggest fan of romantic relationships, but when they drag on for a long time it sort of makes me steamed.
Mar 18, 2016 10:46 PM

Nov 2008
It makes me angry when they don't come to fruition yet the creators tease the f*ck outta youuuuuu....but if they get together and break up six times, that's really annoying too.

Mar 18, 2016 10:50 PM

Sep 2014
Reminds me of Koroko shit, pretty stupid.
Mar 18, 2016 10:52 PM

Jul 2015
Chiibi said:
It makes me angry when they don't come to fruition yet the creators tease the f*ck outta youuuuuu....but if they get together and break up six times, that's really annoying too.

Indeed. The first is pretty much what i'm talking about it's as if there trying to annoy you and get on your bad side by teasing you which like I said I find odd out of someone creating something entertainment and consumer based. The second i'm not a fan of as well but I would even prolly prefer it to the first.
Mar 18, 2016 10:52 PM

Apr 2013
I prefer anime the way it is, much better having naive characters than characters doing impure disgusting things like sex before marriage.
Mar 18, 2016 10:57 PM

May 2015
Romance is one of my favorite genre in anime & manga...

I watch & read a lot of romance anime & manga, and I'm constantly disappointed by the fact that the show focuses on the build up towards a confession, ends with said confession, and boom, show's over. If you're lucky you might sometimes even get a kiss, but other than that, most of the time you won't see the couple actually doing anything together. Most anime fans have seen the same romantic tactics being used repetitively in a variety of anime. It’s come to the point where romance has become either an excuse to include fan-service or a worn process that is hollow and artificial. Romance no longer seems to be a genre; rather it has become a template that any series can stamp on as a promise to viewers that there will definitely be something more than a one-sided crush. Romance has been degraded to something that no longer has depth or impact. It is now a tool to easily and cheaply create moments of tension, reveal overused characterization patterns, and pull the audience into a world of fake love.

Having said this... There are some exceptions in anime & manga as well.

P.S.
I know you didn’t mention in your post that you wanted a anime recommendation but their might be the kind of thing you're looking for, try:

Itazura na Kiss
Golden Time
Ore Monogatari!!
Bakemonogatari
Nodame Cantabile
Waiting in the Summer
Mar 18, 2016 11:02 PM
Jan 2015
Goku said:

Do you mean Kokoro connect?
My Queens

Mar 18, 2016 11:07 PM

Jul 2015
Roy_Focker said:
Romance is one of my favorite genre in anime & manga...

I watch & read a lot of romance anime & manga, and I'm constantly disappointed by the fact that the show focuses on the build up towards a confession, ends with said confession, and boom, show's over. If you're lucky you might sometimes even get a kiss, but other than that, most of the time you won't see the couple actually doing anything together. Most anime fans have seen the same romantic tactics being used repetitively in a variety of anime. It’s come to the point where romance has become either an excuse to include fan-service or a worn process that is hollow and artificial. Romance no longer seems to be a genre; rather it has become a template that any series can stamp on as a promise to viewers that there will definitely be something more than a one-sided crush. Romance has been degraded to something that no longer has depth or impact. It is now a tool to easily and cheaply create moments of tension, reveal overused characterization patterns, and pull the audience into a world of fake love.

Having said this... There are some exceptions in anime & manga as well.

P.S.
I know you didn’t mention in your post that you wanted a anime recommendation but their might be the kind of thing you're looking for, try:

Itazura na Kiss
Golden Time
Ore Monogatari!!
Bakemonogatari
Nodame Cantabile
Waiting in the Summer

Agree with you one hundred percent on all of this. It's such a simple fix to..... it's so odd that slim to none even try going a different route especially when it's always worked well for the most part. Also no problem thanks for the recommendations always welcome them. I've either seen or have most of these on my plan to watch list. Nodame Cantabile looks interesting though kinda reminds me of your lie in April but more mature and not as serious/dramatic. Only thing is the art doesn't look to good which is no surprise being from 2007 and prolly low budget.
Mar 18, 2016 11:11 PM

Nov 2008
Cody_Abbott said:
Chiibi said:

Indeed. The first is pretty much what i'm talking about it's as if there trying to annoy you and get on your bad side by teasing you which like I said I find odd out of someone creating something entertainment and consumer based. The second i'm not a fan of as well but I would even prolly prefer it to the first.

Heh.....this might sound weird but.....I actually do prefer to be teased over watching a soap-opera repetitive plot. Because with the first, you can at least have fun with it and it can be exciting.

With the soap opera plot......you can actually start to loathe both characters and the series. Like OMG MAKE UP YOUR GODDAMN MIND DO YOU LOVE EACH OTHER OR DON'T YOU.

See....Fushigi Yuugi and Marmalade Boy kept pulling that shit and I hate them both now....even though I used to really like them.....because the same characters kept making the same stupid mistakes OVER AND OVER AND OVER again, you stop caring and start wishing they would get hit by a semi-truck or something.

Mar 18, 2016 11:12 PM

Sep 2014
A lot of romance Anime have their stories focus on the buildup to the relationship rather than the actual relationship itself. The 'getting together' part usually comes in the last few episodes. Of course, you have some shows which hint at a romance but it never gets developed at all (Gekkan Shoujo comes to mind) which will disappoint the people who actually watch it for the romance.

Watch something like Nana if you want a title which focuses on romantic relationships very early on.
Mar 18, 2016 11:13 PM

Mar 2015
As for me,, it is more interesting to see "how did they hook up together" rather than "conflict in the middle of romance". So.., I am fine with it.

nowa_ said:
I prefer anime the way it is, much better having naive characters than characters doing impure disgusting things like sex before marriage.
And, I do agree with this.
EsperMar 18, 2016 11:25 PM
This salad is salty favored
Mar 18, 2016 11:16 PM

May 2015
Cody_Abbott said:

Agree with you one hundred percent on all of this. It's such a simple fix to..... it's so odd that slim to none even try going a different route especially when it's always worked well for the most part. Also no problem thanks for the recommendations always welcome them. I've either seen or have most of these on my plan to watch list. Nodame Cantabile looks interesting though kinda reminds me of your lie in April but more mature and not as serious/dramatic. Only thing is the art doesn't look to good which is no surprise being from 2007 and prolly low budget.

Cody_Abbott-san we are fellow anime watchers, No problemo... ^_^
Give Nodame a chance it has a touching story...

Take care! Have a good Saturday...
Mar 18, 2016 11:17 PM

Jun 2011
nowa_ said:

This is pretty much the reason relationships never form in anime.

The nerds in Japan would rage infinitely.
Mar 18, 2016 11:31 PM

Aug 2013
There is this annoying thing in anime where both parties have to be "pure" all along - no sex, no intimacy, hell not even a kiss. It's gotten to the point that the more bravado a character in pursuing sex is, the less likely he/she'll end up with someone. "Romance" in anime is mostly full of gutter and nonsense and as such it never becomes my reason for watching anime. Josei and shoujo (not the reverse harem) on the other hand, is where actual "romance" lies at.
Mar 18, 2016 11:33 PM

Jul 2015
Smirking said:
nowa_ said:

This is pretty much the reason relationships never form in anime.

The nerds in Japan would rage infinitely.

Well. i'm prrretty sure they where trolling just by they way they said that and I checked a couple of their others posts that's why I didn't reply haha. If serious however then that really makes no sense lol. First them getting together doesn't mean they have to start going at it 50 shades of gray style and have sex haha also even if so it's not like anime aren't filled to the brim with unnecessary fan service anyway. I don't see a real possible way of not being offended by fan service then not wanting a romantic relationship to progress because you think it's filthy lololol.

Also i'm fine with the few people that do seem to prefer it the other way around. I'm not even saying every anime should be like this but the insane comparison amount at best being nice 95% to 5% is crazy. Throw the majority who want real progression a bone lol.

Chiibi said:
Cody_Abbott said:

Heh.....this might sound weird but.....I actually do prefer to be teased over watching a soap-opera repetitive plot. Because with the first, you can at least have fun with it and it can be exciting.

With the soap opera plot......you can actually start to loathe both characters and the series. Like OMG MAKE UP YOUR GODDAMN MIND DO YOU LOVE EACH OTHER OR DON'T YOU.

See....Fushigi Yuugi and Marmalade Boy kept pulling that shit and I hate them both now....even though I used to really like them.....because the same characters kept making the same stupid mistakes OVER AND OVER AND OVER again, you stop caring and start wishing they would get hit by a semi-truck or something.

See I can do this with them just purposefully holding out for no reason with the mcs relationship as well tho and start to hate them. When they use any tactic in the book that makes no sense to stall and they only in terms of the romantic aspect make the male mcs stupid and never realize anything even simple stuff. It makes me want to do what you where saying to them haha.
Mar 18, 2016 11:38 PM

Jul 2015
Amiluhur said:
There is this annoying thing in anime where both parties have to be "pure" all along - no sex, no intimacy, hell not even a kiss. It's gotten to the point that the more bravado a character in pursuing sex is, the less likely he/she'll end up with someone. "Romance" in anime is mostly full of gutter and nonsense and as such it never becomes my reason for watching anime. Josei and shoujo (not the reverse harem) on the other hand, is where actual "romance" lies at.

Just doesn't make sense to me though aside from the fact a relationship can easily be developed without sex and i guess keeping them "pure" lol. Even if it didn't I don't see how that's a thing considering how over sexualized they make anime. They throw boobs and ass and upskirts and pervy fan service around any chance they get and over sexual comments that aren't even necessary and alot of people find annoying and it's no problem and they seem to love putting it in. So I don't see how putting a actual developed progressing relationship would be a problem.
Mar 18, 2016 11:42 PM

Mar 2015
Chiibi said:

"Telenovela" kind of thing.? Seriously, I cant watch that kind of show. But old ladies around me love it. xD
Mar 18, 2016 11:42 PM

Feb 2013
If you watch anime for romance then you're fucking stupid.

The medium for romance is eroge, where the relationship actually gets developed and have a satisfying ending.
Mar 18, 2016 11:47 PM

Jul 2015
Arcofdream said:

The medium for romance is eroge, where the relationship actually gets developed and have a satisfying ending.

In terms of how horrible they are at it for the most part your right in that sense but considering it's an actual genre in anime and a large percentage of anime that aren't have it to an extent than it's not really fair to say that. If your an anime fan and romance happens to be a genre you like then obviously your gonna watch anime for romance and your not stupid for it haha. Not everyones into Eroge just as alot of people prefer movies and tv to books.
Mar 18, 2016 11:51 PM

Jun 2011
You have to understand that a company isn't trying to sell the anime itself, but affiliated merchandise. A lot of these high dollar spenders are lonely older men. And what are they looking for? Girls. Pure girls specifically. As such the creators aren't going to do anything to devalue their characters and hamper their sales. It wouldn't make sense from a business standpoint. Also it wouldn't make sense to just have characters in a relationship with no relationship type elements.
Mar 18, 2016 11:56 PM

Nov 2015
I would conjecture that it has something to do with what romance anime aim to achieve: Fantasies; they aim to appease fantasies. The actual development of the relationship between characters, I have observed, is never the aim of these anime.
Mar 18, 2016 11:58 PM

Dec 2013
Cody_Abbott said:
I have always been extremely annoyed by how it seems at least ninety five percent of the time romantic pairings in anime never progress or half the time even start.

Which isn't a bad thing. There really are only a handful of anime that have successfully/believably 'developed' the genre; the rest trainwrecked in their attempt. Romance demands quality writing to support it and is highly personal in its reception, so it makes no business sense pushing Bronte-tier work on a demographic that gets nosebleeds from the opposite sex.
Mar 19, 2016 12:19 AM

Apr 2015
Cody_Abbott said:
Man_Lanz said:

This is exactly what I was saying though lol. They always wait until the end which I find annoying most of the time. It doesn't have to be super early but don't wait till the last episode. Your point about most source not getting fully adapted is a good point though but from what I hear for the most part the same problem persists even in manga,ln form to a lesser extent.

In quite a lot of manga or LN heroines are inserted to attract a certain niche of fans, so cementing a pairing with a certain girl (or guy) before the end often wouldn't be an overly great decision in financial terms b/c sales would drop.

As an answer to the OP I'm not overly bothered with long waits.
Mar 19, 2016 1:02 AM

Mar 2015
sigh my otp ( kayo x satoru ) totally got crushed in episode 11
Gin-chan said:
Anime - it's not something that can be thought of in a hall for conferences. It is made out of strange juices current from the brain of animators.
Mar 19, 2016 1:11 AM

May 2013
They only appear to exist in actual romance focused anime, or as an afterthought when a long-running, less romance focused anime ends.
Mar 19, 2016 3:50 AM

Mar 2015
if you want actual devopment, go to original source when series actually finish.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 19, 2016 4:00 AM

Dec 2015
Kuma said:
if you want actual devopment, go to original source when series actually finish.
lolololol and then get absolutely mind-fucked and disappointed when in the end nothing really happened? I can pm u some LNs romance ending where it goes nowhere for some shitty ass reason... Pls no
Mar 19, 2016 4:05 AM

Mar 2015
Robiiii said:
Kuma said:
lolololol and then get absolutely mind-fucked and disappointed when in the end nothing really happened? I can pm u some LNs romance ending where it goes nowhere for some shitty ass reason... Pls no

> LN
> romance.

i know that i generelize the medium which is incorrect. but when you want to find romance, LN is not best medium to chose.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 19, 2016 4:09 AM

Dec 2015
Kuma said:
Robiiii said:

> LN
> romance.

i know that i generelize the medium which is incorrect. but when you want to find romance, LN is not best medium to chose.

I guess ur right >~<
Its really awful tho, so much salt atm :<
Mar 19, 2016 4:12 AM

Apr 2014
Than you are watching the wrong kind of series, try josei or shoujo.
Mar 19, 2016 4:15 AM

Dec 2015
Milk_is_Special said:
Moar suggestions plx. I rly need some :<
Mar 19, 2016 4:32 AM

Apr 2014
Robiiii said:
Milk_is_Special said:
Mate, those are genres. There are a lot of shows with those tags.
Mar 19, 2016 4:33 AM

Sep 2015
I would love for more relationships to start in the middle of the series, rather than them finally getting together at the end of the very last episode. Never actually getting to see couples acting as a couple is rather irritating, because you don't get to see them grow together and watch as they learn how to act.

It doesn't help that many anime act merely as a means of advertising the source, and so the anime will never cover the point in the story where they actually do get together. Kind of like a "Want to see them get together? Go read the source you pleb."
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Mar 19, 2016 4:35 AM

Dec 2015
Milk_is_Special said:
Robiiii said:
Mate, those are genres. There are a lot of shows with those tags.

Ohhhh lol i thought those are shows... >~<
Mar 19, 2016 5:50 AM

Nov 2012
Reasons why some romantic relationships don't develop in anime followed by examples:

1. They adapt mangas and LN's where romance is part of the plot but due to lack of sales or interest in making sequels they don't reach the part where the romance actually develops. (FMP, BakaTest, KamiNomi)

2. VN adaptations that don't want to pick a route to displease fans of other characters so they give it an open ending to incent viewers to buy the source material. (Kimi Ga Aruji)

3. The authors are forced to not progress the relationship because of potential viewer backlash due to the relationship being controversial. (Oreimo)

4. Writers who keep relationships undeveloped for a long time to give shippers an incent to keep watching they're shows until they get tired and decide to wrap it up. (Nisekoi, Detective Conan)

5. Some writers are just trolls
Mar 19, 2016 5:55 AM

Oct 2014
I don't really like the romance genre but if a series features romance, than it better do something with it.
Mar 19, 2016 5:55 AM

Mar 2015
SuperRed said:
4. Writers who keep relationships undeveloped for a long time to give shippers an incent to keep watching they're shows until they get tired and decide to wrap it up. (Nisekoi, Detective Conan)
Ok, this one is irritating. Being trolls is better than this shit.
Mar 19, 2016 6:12 AM

Nov 2008
Arcofdream said:

Excuse you for being an asshole about it?
Besides you being totally WRONG because most of my OTPs ARE canon by the end.

Mar 19, 2016 10:09 AM
Jan 2016
SuperRed said:

I don't think shippers give much of a damn if there is an official pair or not, they'll fight for their ship till the end of the show. (Or even longer)
In case of Nisekoi, is there anyone on this planet who genuinely thinks that anyone but Chitoge stands a chance? I mean, come on, you like it or not, the end is pretty damn obvious. Aside from purposeful ship-tease with Onodera, everything pointed in this direction since at least halfway through the manga.
Mar 19, 2016 10:37 AM

Sep 2014
-Mahesvara said:
Goku said:

Never got around to watching it, I didn't like the actually series that much so I decided not to watch the specials.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll watch it soon.
Mar 19, 2016 10:39 AM

May 2014
If I wanted continual sexual tension with no definitive payoff/breakoff I'd continue my Dragon Age Inquisition playthrough.
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
Mar 19, 2016 11:33 AM
Jan 2015
Goku said:
-Mahesvara said:

Never got around to watching it, I didn't like the actually series that much so I decided not to watch the specials.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll watch it soon.

Well its has the romantic resolution you're looking for in the series and no problem.
My Queens

Mar 19, 2016 11:39 AM
Jan 2016
nowa_ said:

lol

silvers0ul said:
sigh my otp ( kayo x satoru ) totally got crushed in episode 11

I was two thirds of the way across the Atlantic when my twig raft finally sank. How do I fend off sharks? :((

@OP
1. As someone said before, it has to to with finding closure for an anime based on a still ongoing manga
2. Writers use romance just as a secondary plot tool/to generate tension/to make fill screentime
3. The BlueBallz strategy from the fanservicing harems appeals to anxious otakus
4. It might even be a cultural difference. Most of the japanese books I've read and movies i've seen, seem lacking in the romance department
5. Writing good romance after the characters got together is realllllly hard to pull off, especially if the series is not character driven.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

22 by epidemia78 »»
7 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9051 by appledude1221 »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

36 by piroriparopirira »»
34 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

65 by Sorachin »»
44 minutes ago

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Apr 15

32 by Soverign »»
44 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.