Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Durarara!! (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 6, 2010 6:47 AM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I think the series started out pretty carefree^^ Masaomi and Mikado sure are getting a lot of the screentime, it seems that all the guys are sort of being introduced right here :D There is an interesting scene where a headless motorcyclist fights the bad guys which was cool :D Anyway, I really enjoyed this episode and hopefully it stays this good :D
ShanaFlameJan 7, 2010 8:01 PM
Jan 6, 2010 7:36 AM

Oct 2009
Nice start! I really like Kiba and Mikado! They look like great friends. Simon is great add to different races in this serie as he is black from America I think they mentioned=>
. The kidnapping of that girl was a little shocking at first =>
but when she was saved by the headless motorcycle person, it was a good relief. There was a reference to Spice and Wolf but that's because I saw pics of that anime and can refer here=>
to it. Ikebukuro looks well done. I hope there is not much focus on the chatting...it looks informative but boring=>
. Izaya was nice as a short intro but I want to know more about him. Girl with the scars around her neck tells me she is either the motorcycle person or related to that person....why would she have those scars?=>
. Personally loved the motorcycle's attack with scythe. It leaves no wounds yet it kills...my Shinigami love starts on this serie=>. The blood is a plus. Loved also the fights and how those guys got beat up by the headless motorcycle guy, I have been looking for a nice anime like this....laughed so much when the tazer failed!=>
ShanaFlame said:
I think the series started out pretty carefree^^ Masaomi and Mikado sure are getting a lot of the screentime, it seems that all the guys are sort of being introduced right here :D
Well that is good because they can focus on other things after their intro. Did you get some Ghostrider vibrations from this serie friend? I did.
francismeunierJan 6, 2010 7:55 AM

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Jan 6, 2010 7:46 AM

Jul 2009
Fuck yes my fav show this season is airing!!!!
I'm currently watching this & I can say the OP is nice :)
Jan 6, 2010 7:56 AM

Oct 2009
Kagura89 said:
Fuck yes my fav show this season is airing!!!!
I'm currently watching this & I can say the OP is nice :)
Ah yes, the OP is going as a favorite of mines and ED is great too. I am curious in the ED as to the confirmation if the girl with the scar neck is a girlfriend of the motorcycle person or if she really is connected to him.

Jan 6, 2010 9:56 AM

Nov 2007
Looks interesting. Decided to continue watching this (but it's painful because adding another 2 seasons anime...+ I won't have time to watch that many anime
)

I don't think I'm doing the summary for this anime, either

Cat helmet female biker is scary.
tsubasaloverJan 6, 2010 10:12 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jan 6, 2010 9:59 AM

Jan 2009
looks awesome. does anyone know who's subbing this?
Jan 6, 2010 10:19 AM
Aug 2009
Horoooo.
Jan 6, 2010 12:16 PM

Dec 2008
francismeunier said:
Girl with the scars around her neck tells me she is either the motorcycle person or related to that person....why would she have those scars?=>

I personally tend to the latter because I think she was rescued by that motorcycle person and she appeared to be rather puzzled about what happened.

Liked the episode. Now waiting for subs...
Jan 6, 2010 12:27 PM

Mar 2008
I guess we can expect Horrible Subs to be involved since this show will be on Crunchyroll. =P But I'd like to see another group pick it up.
Jan 6, 2010 12:30 PM

Sep 2009
nextday said:
Anyone know which groups will be subbing this?

The only group I'm aware of that's subbing it is Crunchyroll. qq was supposed to, but they fagged out of it last second because Crunchyroll is covering it. Crunchyroll's 'simulcast' thingamajig says it'll be up in like, two days or something. :L

Hopefully another group decides to cover this and does it faster. The raw's out already, we shouldn't wait two extra days.

As for the anime, I'm reaaaally looking forward to it. Looks like the best thing to watch this season.
Jan 6, 2010 12:32 PM

Aug 2009
^ From what I know;

http://shogakukansubs.iamspace.com/

This is the only one I could find...
Jan 6, 2010 1:20 PM

Jul 2009
Fuck yea, the only shit I care about the 1st ep is this....

If he's not with us, he's AGAINST us!!!

Jan 6, 2010 2:13 PM

Aug 2009
Subs? SUBS!?!?

(Haha, yeah! My most awaited anime starts on my Birthday!)
Jan 6, 2010 2:13 PM

Feb 2008
It was a great episode, like it haha .

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Jan 6, 2010 2:31 PM

Sep 2009
BitchMaster said:

Your avatar made me lol for about five minutes. GJ.
Jan 6, 2010 3:45 PM

Nov 2007
THE OP. THE. OOOPPPPP. excuse me as i jizz my pants over here.

also, yeah. noticed that baccano! cameo in the first few mins. :3c SUBS ARE NEEDED NOW, FFFFF.
Jan 6, 2010 4:23 PM

Apr 2009
The OP song is sexy as hell, but it is no Guns' and Roses (no, not the band, I mean the opening to Baccano!). I kind of dislike the character designs, but they don't really annoy me.

The ED is certainly something. Japanese R&B? lol.

Now I just wait for this to air on regular TV and for Horrible subs to rip it from CR.
Jan 6, 2010 7:10 PM

Aug 2008
Haven't seen the ep yet...

But, the OP is very nice, and different. The character designs seem so much better then those in Baccano...

The ED is plain terrible... Way too americanized, which is the reason I don't listen to English music anymore... Hopefully it isn't the start of a trend...
Jan 6, 2010 7:21 PM

Jul 2009
llamaben said:

The ED is plain terrible... Way too americanized, which is the reason I don't listen to English music anymore... Hopefully it isn't the start of a trend...

Sad news, dude... It already became a trend, just stare at FF13 OP song and you'll know what I mean ;)

If he's not with us, he's AGAINST us!!!

Jan 6, 2010 7:40 PM

Apr 2009
Haha, Dururarara was actually a lot better than I expected! Really cool OP, and Horo lol.
Jan 7, 2010 1:47 AM

Oct 2009
JonathanDC said:
BitchMaster said:

Your avatar made me lol for about five minutes. GJ.

Yeah I get Bitchmaster's sarcasm but admit the motorcycle is a girl find to be in synchro with the girl that was saved and suppose it might be about this or maybe a adventure for motorcycle person to find a true self. Assuming possible scenarios for fun.
just4fun said:
francismeunier said:
Girl with the scars around her neck tells me she is either the motorcycle person or related to that person....why would she have those scars?=>

I personally tend to the latter because I think she was rescued by that motorcycle person and she appeared to be rather puzzled about what happened.

Liked the episode. Now waiting for subs...

I agree but there is something about the scar that sets off something about it.
Gen_ said:
francismeunier said:
I am curious in the ED as to the confirmation if the girl with the scar neck is a girlfriend of the motorcycle person or if she really is connected to him.

The "motorcycle person" is a girl. Just saying :)

Now that I will start to believe but I though that Mikado would be a motorcycle person suddenly.

Jan 7, 2010 7:23 AM

Apr 2009
francismeunier said:

Considering what a Dullahan is in folklore, that's a pretty accurate observation.
Jan 7, 2010 8:02 AM

Oct 2009
ReaperEXE said:
francismeunier said:

Considering what a Dullahan is in folklore, that's a pretty accurate observation.
Just guessing but thanks for a good directional guess comment.

Jan 7, 2010 9:01 AM

Dec 2007
Give me that Horo now.

I loved this episode, it was a great introduction to the whole show. As a viewer could really expierience the emotions Mikado felt as he entered this to him unknown world.
Production values were amazing aswell, so I can't wait to see how this will continue.

*makes mental note to buy the manga after class tomorrow*
yakisobapanJan 7, 2010 7:43 PM
Jan 7, 2010 12:49 PM

Aug 2009
OMGASRFIOE:JRE:JJIFJ HOROOOOO!!

Loved that OP. "Guns and Roses" from Baccano Japanese style.
Jan 7, 2010 1:10 PM
Dec 2008
damm all my favorite male seiyuss
Jan 7, 2010 1:21 PM

Dec 2008
Compared to what i've seen of bits of Dance in the Vampire Bund, this looks great thus far into it.

Izaya seems to pique my interest of his cynicism, the opening sounds much better than what the preview offered as well, and the seiyuu's for this make it worth while.
Jan 7, 2010 2:27 PM

Aug 2008
LOVE THE OP! haha that's the only thing i saw. can't wait for it to be subbed! >__<
Jan 7, 2010 3:59 PM

May 2007
kleeny said:
LOVE THE OP! haha that's the only thing i saw. can't wait for it to be subbed! >__<

I did the same and I watched the OP at that site called goodanime or something. ;)
Jan 7, 2010 7:24 PM

Sep 2009
I kind of want to cry due to the lack of subs. My moonspeak knowledge is only enough to get the jist of what's going on, but I would much rather know fully what is happening...

So far I'll be patiently waiting for Durarara!!, and Hidamari Sketch Hoshi Mittsu. </3
-
Jan 7, 2010 11:20 PM

May 2009
GG subbed the first ep, but I am not sure what their deal is on future eps; they seem to be ranting about CrunchyRoll or some junk.

Anyways, the first ep was pretty good; definitely my most anticipated series for this meager winter season.

I had no idea what the series was going to be like, but the animation is good and the story seems interesting; I will definitely be following this one.
Jan 7, 2010 11:48 PM

Sep 2007
Hmmm this seems like a way better start than Bund. Scar girl clearly has some kind of involvement with Ms. Dullahan Biker. Hell, the biker might even be a spirit version of her or something. I particularly liked the whole internet chat piece. An interesting way to "discuss" the legend of Ikeburo.
Jan 8, 2010 12:13 AM

Jun 2009
Holy shit, this show is fucking awesome. The OP is nice, the ED sequence is awesome but the song sucks balls. And hell yeah, Horo.
Jan 8, 2010 12:36 AM

Jun 2007
Biker Girl is named Selty Sturluson (Sterlson?), a Dullahan from Ireland (00:16).
Her head is in a bottle (01:24).
The girl with the scar (20:33) looks like the unnamed girl with Seiji Yagiri (00:21).
Selty apparently works with Shinra Kishitani (24:20).

Brains Base produced Baccano!(01:56/06:34) and Spice and Wolf II (06:48).

gg caved in and subbed it anyways (All times are from the gg release.)

Original Character Designer is Suzuhito Yasuda, who also worked on Yozakura Quartet and Kamisama Kazoku. You'll notice the style is very similar except the Kamisama Kazoku anime looks like a cross between his style and Eureka 7.

Dullahan Legend:
Legion17Jan 8, 2010 12:51 AM

Jan 8, 2010 12:53 AM

Nov 2008
A solid first episode.

This is the only anime this season I have above average hopes for. I wonder if it would be almost as awesome as Baccano or even better?

Only time will tell...
Jan 8, 2010 1:12 AM
Nov 2008
That was one of the most awesome first episodes. =)

I love the characters.
Jan 8, 2010 1:38 AM
Jul 2008
Same big cast like Baccano oh jeez, going to have to stop by the names and remember them, and the OP introducing the characters is in the same style as Baccano's too btw.

Good first ep. For a 24ep series, it'd better be good! The characters are nice but they dont stand out particularly... yet.
Jan 8, 2010 2:09 AM

Apr 2008
Awesome first episode - this show is now officially the best of the season.

The OP was great - not as good as Baccano's, but that's a pretty high standard to hold it to. Didn't care for the boy-band ED, though.

Like Baccano, we have an unmanageably large cast of characters thrown at us from the beginning, so I'm going to assume that's the style of this author and have faith that things'll get sorted out later. At least this one seems to be in chronological order. The animation and music were marvelous, and I liked the little Brains-Base references they threw in (Holo cutout, Baccano clips).

The episode itself was very exciting, with our male lead moving into town and meeting some of the large cast, an online discussion of urban legends reminiscent of Dennou Coil, a kidnapping, an encounter with a girl with a mysterious scar on her neck, an awesome battle sequence, and a chase scene culminating with a modernized Dullahan on a motorcycle performing a super-cool finishing attack.

5/5 would watch again.

The Earth King has invited you to Lake Laogai. You will be honored to accept his invitation.
Jan 8, 2010 2:18 AM

Jan 2009
So, what am I expecting from this? I d'no lol ┐('~`;)┌
didn't have any expectations when I started on the first two mangachapters, but since this is a bit different (unexpected lol?), I'm having even less expectations on this ʘ‿ʘ
Let's just wait and see where this leads ( ̄ー ̄)
Hmm.. The Black Biker really looks female in the anime ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Oh and also: ( ;´Д`)
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jan 8, 2010 2:31 AM
Jul 2018
This is certainly my pick for potentially the most interesting show of the season. The music fits the mood particularly well.
Jan 8, 2010 2:39 AM
Jul 2008
This is great, it's clearly the same creators of Baccano! The OP is of similar style and the series seems to be badass. Great, great. Horo was in it haha.
Jan 8, 2010 2:53 AM

Mar 2008
This was definitely something good. Might have really been the best this season has produced so far though this is no big achievement. The OP was very nice. I also already liked the similar Baccano OP.

The only issue I have so far is that it seems so damn obvious that
Jan 8, 2010 3:11 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
DURARARA IS SO GOOD

F YEAH. FINALLY AN ANIME TO LOOK FORWARD TO EVERY WEEK THIS SEASON!
p r o f i l e 👀
Jan 8, 2010 3:23 AM
Mar 2009
Very nice first episode to start off Durarara!!'s season. I find a lot of the characters interesting, but you can certainly tell this is just like Baccano due to the amount characters thrown at you in the OP and the first episode itself.

The plot definitely has some nice mystery and action to it also. I expect big things from this anime, hopefully it becomes just as great or even better than Baccano was.
Jan 8, 2010 3:29 AM

Aug 2009
Really nice way to start things off and looks like an anime to look forward to.
Jan 8, 2010 4:09 AM

May 2009
I actually liked the really weird vibe of the show. And you gotta say, this anime started out with originality.
Horays for no stereotyoe debut :D
Jan 8, 2010 4:22 AM

Jul 2009
Great..looking forward for next episode, no complaint so far
Jan 8, 2010 4:52 AM

Jun 2008
It was a great episode ^^
looking forward to the next one
Jan 8, 2010 5:10 AM

Nov 2008
This was certainly entertaining and a bit mysterious. (A bit disappointed if there will be some supernatural aspects in the show, if the guy turns out the be an actual shinigami) The OP and ED were surprisingly really good and catchy as hell.

Fixed.
(kidding) I'm glad he doesn't sound too noticeable like him.

Simon is everyone's Taxi Driver this time, fo shur.
I wonder how and why Holo got so much screentime, is that even allowed, hehe.
francismeunier said:
Simon is great add to different races in this serie as he is black from America I think they mentioned=>

Wrong. He's from Russia ;D
Hun, hint; leave the raws and watch the subs, you're missing out on a lot.

Damnit guys, I hate you for spoilering the fact that the biker is probably

And at everyone who's lamenting the fact that there hasn't been that much blood and violence compared to Baccano, I can only be glad. I'm really not that much into that stuff, and for a moment I was really afraid that he was going to run over the dude's head with the pink shirt. (Yes, that's actually the kind of violence I'm expecting in this show. God, everyone is just too hyped up about it, argh)
desolatoJan 8, 2010 5:21 AM
Jan 8, 2010 5:25 AM
Jun 2009
pretty good episode..
definitely gonna keep watching this...
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

francismeunier - Apr 22, 2010

234 by Karva1 »»
Apr 20, 5:26 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Usami-Haru - Mar 18, 2010

456 by Karva1 »»
Apr 20, 1:47 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Proselyt - Jan 14, 2010

331 by Karva1 »»
Apr 19, 11:39 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

katzenjammer - Feb 18, 2010

299 by Kurkitos »»
Feb 5, 6:31 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kirika- - May 27, 2010

205 by dr_hydrangea »»
Jan 31, 4:32 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.