Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Durarara!! (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]
Jan 8, 2015 8:26 AM

Apr 2012
rewatching this series in anticipation of the sequel coming out in two (one?) day. Just realized that there is a lot of stuff that I've never caught on several years ago or have forgotten.

First episode was quite brilliant btw.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Jan 24, 2015 9:32 AM

Aug 2014
So I think this episode was a kinda bored, because Masaomi-kun never stops talking... It was starting to let me tired. In the end it could be nice about his looking about the dark biker.
Maloween 2017
Main Candies
Feb 3, 2015 1:19 PM
Dec 2014
Primer capitulo excelente, lleno de intriga...
Me costará aprenderme tanto nombre pero bueno, no importa.
El chat también es un poco lioso...
Me han encantado los personajes principales.
Y lo del motorista da muchísima intriga, cosa que me encanta.
Feb 24, 2015 7:17 AM

Dec 2012
Looks boring.

Jun 11, 2015 9:26 AM

Jul 2014
This show is so far not really wowing me like Baccano did. But we'll see how it goes.

4/5
Jul 17, 2015 2:46 AM

Mar 2012
Aw yeah this is gonna be a fun rewatch. Never get tired of the OP :)
Oct 5, 2015 2:06 AM

Jul 2015
Cool and I love the fucking OP
Oct 5, 2015 2:06 AM

Jul 2015
Cool and I love the fucking OP
Dec 11, 2015 12:51 AM

Nov 2015
The OP and the ED are great!
I noticed Jacuzzi and Nice on the LCD screen. Did anyone noticed that?
Anyways , I enjoyed Baccano a lot and want this show to be as as great as that .
This episode was really good and I hope the whole show will be very enjoyable.
NamratanikkiDec 11, 2015 12:55 AM
Dec 31, 2015 11:55 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
So far so good. The style is a lot like Baccano, which is great. Kida's great.

5/5
Jan 23, 2016 7:28 AM

Nov 2011
As the anime series has begun to march, it was best to re-start from the first season, although it is an old production, the first episode in the original way, I do not remember ever seeing an anime with a character similar to Celty or as others shown on this occasion, the designs seem rough finishes, but have their own charm, too bad for the props are not made well despite being handmade.
Feb 29, 2016 6:22 PM

Mar 2012
i swore to myself i wouldn't like it.

...and then i did.
i love crazy anime and this is just the kind of thing i tend to get obsessed about. e_e
Apr 3, 2016 12:40 PM

Sep 2014
Well interesting setup! Hope it doesn't disappoint ^.^
Jun 4, 2016 10:25 AM
Mar 2012
the series started off really well
Jun 29, 2016 1:57 PM

Aug 2014
Not a bad start but its not interesting, the show is very light, should be way darker.
On-Hold, will continue it later.
Jul 14, 2016 9:28 PM

Mar 2015
OP song - 4.4/5

It was okay-ish? I hope this will get better next episode because it felt not bad but not good either.

I think the girl with neck scar is the biker woman.

3.1/5
Nov 2, 2016 4:31 PM

Nov 2015

Not only it starts and I already like the OP. Brought so much Bacanno! nostalgia. Altho, the names are in Japanese so this time I can't read them.

I did expect a cameo from Miria and Isaac but I not expect it to be in the very first minutes xD oh, wonderful! They have their own movie jaja.

Anyway, what can I say? This is one of those first episodes that gets me hooked to a series.
The animation is impeccable, clean and smooth. The music is playful. The OP and the ED? I loved them. Both visuals and songs.

As with other of Narita's works this will have a big and very nicely balanced cast. Oh, I need to get better at remembering names because I'm going to need to put all my effort into it! I really got very good first impressions on Durarara! and I hope this is not the best it can deliver.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

One of Narita's touches in his works is that the words his stories take place look alive, everything moves.
HumbertoZeroNov 2, 2016 4:36 PM
Nov 14, 2016 7:24 PM

Sep 2013
Really good 1st episode. I'm curious as to where it will go from here. Didn't like the ED though....way to boy-band for my taste.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Dec 19, 2016 9:48 AM

Apr 2014
That was fun to watch this great episode. Only the names are confusing. I couldn't name a single character after the episode. Opening and ending theme rock both, although the ending theme reminds me of those catchy boy band songs.
Aug 27, 2017 9:20 AM
Jun 2017
Does Mikado remind anyone else of Kaneki Ken from the eearlier episodes of Tokyo Ghoul? Seriously, the resemblance is uncanny.
Dec 18, 2017 9:33 PM

May 2017
Started this series with some friends and we were all really disappointed. It was... really bad. With the high rating, I really expected more. The characters were SO uninteresting, we heard over and over how bad the jokes were of the buddy, "but he's a nice guy". And the texting feature between random characters we've never met was strange as a exposition setup. It was just so cheesy. The ghost rider was okay, but this episode definitely lacked. Didn't catch my attention at all, and I can't see a reason to continue. Even with the good rating, I can't see myself pushing through another cringe fest.
Feb 20, 2018 11:51 AM

Jan 2013
Hmmmm ... a lot of things going on, we get introduced to the entire cast at the same time it seems.
Also the "Headless Rider" looks more like a woman than a man, judging from it's curves.

Idk what to think of it, hasn't grabbed me yet.
Feb 28, 2018 2:11 AM

Sep 2017
I HATE the OP. F**king Baccano references. Just because you have the same studio and director and story writer doesn't mean that you can just make an unoriginal OP with the same kind of OP that Baccano has. That character intro OP is the worst OP I have ever seen. That is the sole reason I will probably hate Baccano and never would want to start watching it again.

Also, There is Holo, the wise wolf. Who appeared in another Brain's base productions. What a blatant cash cowing of a good anime.
(But Spice and Wolf was good)

It looks like they want to make a Naritaverse Animated Universe. And that thought sickens me. Especially after it looks like this will be similar to Baccano!.

(Brain's base is still alive in Durarara!)

The Sound Editing, especially for the bike, was superb(No sarcasm intended). But the Background music was the worst BGM I could have ever heard.

Also, what's up with the so called narrator protagonist in the episode? It seems like he is just weaving a story of his own. I couldn't be compelled to care any more for him.

But the Ookami biker was like Rorshach. She(judging by the name) is doing a okay job, killing people like the Ghost Rider.

The sole reason I hate mafia anime is because you have to remember every faction's name and before you are done with it, you are introduced to 3 new mafia members and have to remember their names too. Reminds me of history. Makes me sick.

The ED was okay. Let's see if this gets better by the next few episodes.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Aug 3, 2019 6:41 PM

Feb 2019
Pretty good first episode, but could've been better.
I am not a weeb, I simply enjoy 2D girls
Aug 12, 2019 6:12 AM

May 2016
I was expecting to see Isaac and Miria make their surprise appearance but Holo caught me completely off-guard instead! The MC's a pure florg that needs to be protected but he's about to meet every single person he was told to avoid later on and I'm pretty excited. The Headless Rider immediately lived up to her reputation and that's cool~

I've definitely heard the opening before but the boyband pop-style ending theme was a very catchy surprise.

Feb 16, 2020 12:21 AM
Apr 2019
Gave this a 2/5.

Positives:

The show is very striking. I love the aesthetics of the urban nightlife and the detail that has gone into the backgrounds. There was obviously a lot of work that went into setting up a compelling surrounding for the narrative and it shows. It works well as a tool for representing the main character's lack of belonging in an environment he isn't used to.

The cast is diverse. I can't really say much on this because, honestly, we don't really know much about any character. Only the two main characters are given any development and from what is shown (so far) it's very one-dimensional. One has adapted to the city life and gotten into shenanigans and explored this new space. The other is square and inexperienced and seemingly the show will center partially around bursting this character's bubble.

Negatives:

Poor narrative. I hate the amount of 'telling' that a ton of animes rely upon rather than utilizing a smart storyboard that can *show* the viewer what is happening. Especially in a *visual* medium I always feel like I'm being treated like a baby that can't figure things out for myself. The narration is so fucking tacky and unnecessary. All of these details can be revealed through smart, succinct dialogue without any crutches. I don't know if it's lack of talent from the crew, or simply a genre choice (I heavily suspect the latter). This is my biggest peeve with anime in general (the complete lack of subtlety) and here it is again.

No meaningful character development. I felt like the episode was a sustained introduction to a cast of characters. This can be fine when done well, but this is strikingly artificial and forced. Instead of being able to genuinely 'meet' these characters, I feel like I'm reading a cast list at the start of a play with a basic descriptor that I can associate with each of them. Again, either lazy or babying.

The web interface. The fucking texting shit is also incredibly annoying and disorienting. It's again a very tacky, lazy move that can easily be removed in favor of more subtle, genuine cues for the viewer. Not sure why they had to resort to this.

All in all, I'm hoping the show picks up after this and spends time developing the characters in a way that makes you care about them and really utilizes the excellent urban space that they've crafted for themselves.
Apr 23, 2020 10:49 PM

Feb 2018
This MC look like is noob.
May 6, 2020 1:48 AM

Apr 2013
Not a very impressive first episode, but probably just a buildup.
Jul 15, 2020 6:31 AM

May 2016
The beginning was a bit mysterious with all these gangs and stuff, and it looks to me our
headless guy looks like a girl.
Apr 24, 2021 6:02 AM

Aug 2017
Pretty good start, probably the best first episode of this season so far. The anime isn't afraid of showing a lot of mysteries in a single episode to make things interesting in the future.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Nov 10, 2021 2:01 AM

Aug 2019
Loved the opening...it has same style like baccano's opening as it is made by same studio and author....loving the premise..
Dec 3, 2021 12:53 PM

May 2020
Woah, that's a neat start. Feels like there would be lot of characters, so something i am looking forward to. That ED tho.... <3.
Apr 17, 2022 3:30 AM

Sep 2018
Jeez, a lot of people to take note off, that was quite a bit of info to take in. Friend A walking MC around town introducing and talking about people was kind of interesting. Sets up a whole of questions and points of interest.
Jun 8, 2022 3:27 AM

Feb 2021
The opening is alright. Not of my taste though.

First of all, how tf do I keep track of so many characters?

I'll be honest not many of the names of the places they are mentioning are registering in my head.

Kida seems to know a ton of people around the city.

So what I'm getting is that a lot of people have been disappearing from these places and I presume that the gang of 3 people is behind all this.

That biker seems to be a vigilante with some weird shadow powers. Pretty sure that the biker is a 'she' rather than a 'he'. I wonder if she's even human.

Decent start. Not hooked to it yet. Let's see how it unfolds.

ED is also okayish but better than the opening imo.

Jul 2, 2022 6:14 AM

May 2013
17:13
Aug 11, 2022 8:12 AM

May 2018
Hell yeah Holo is best waifu
Aug 31, 2022 12:03 PM

Sep 2016
Simon is voiced by Takaya, AKA Kazuma Kiryu... 10/10 10/10
Nov 4, 2022 5:51 PM
Apr 2020
Great first episode. I really enjoyed it.
Nov 30, 2022 2:25 PM
May 2020
had the random urge to rewatch this beauty. loved how simon was described lol
Nov 30, 2022 5:24 PM
Mar 2020
Interested to see where this series goes.
Mar 5, 2023 11:02 AM

Nov 2021
This anime has been on my plan to watch for like 2 years, ig it's finally time to give it a shot...
Mar 21, 2023 1:19 PM

Feb 2018
Started this awhile ago but only ended up watching 5 episodes before putting it on-hold.
Now that I'm watching it again it definitely has an interesting start to a series.
Introduces you to quite a few things that you can't really explain yet.
Hopefully watching more of this series will make understanding it an enjoyable experience.
Apr 11, 2023 9:22 AM
Apr 2023
First episode in and it's already gonna be a bop
Jun 11, 2023 12:03 AM
Aug 2021
i thought it was very interesting
Sep 13, 2023 4:24 PM
Jul 2022
Reply to underMebius
Has anyone seen in the background, a scene in Baccano was playing?

IOh, and may I add that the ED animation reminds me of Yozakura Quartet. I wonder if it's a coincidence or not...?
@underMebius There was 2 scenes from Baccano! One with Issac and Maria and one with Jacuzzi and Nice.
Nov 5, 2023 4:52 AM
Jul 2017
not a great ep 1 tbh
Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

francismeunier - Apr 22, 2010

234 by Karva1 »»
Apr 20, 5:26 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Usami-Haru - Mar 18, 2010

456 by Karva1 »»
Apr 20, 1:47 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Proselyt - Jan 14, 2010

331 by Karva1 »»
Apr 19, 11:39 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

katzenjammer - Feb 18, 2010

299 by Kurkitos »»
Feb 5, 6:31 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kirika- - May 27, 2010

205 by dr_hydrangea »»
Jan 31, 4:32 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.