Forum Settings
Forums

Some Clarification about Episode listing

New
Mar 17, 2016 8:14 PM
Dec 2013
Hello everyone,

First, I hope that I post in the correct section of the forum, I use MAL for over 2 years but I must say that I have never participated in the forum.

To make a long story short, I recently start to use Plex to organize my media since it became a pain to navigate through 5 TB of Movies / Series / Anime / etc. I use MAL for my Metadata (Poster / Synopsis / seasons / Informations / etc.) And I had problems with episodes of Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 , displaying only 2 Episodes for the whole season, After 1 hour trying to fix that, I realized that it was MAL that were listing only two episodes of the season. I must admit I was a bit surprise that an Anime so popular is not listed all of its episodes.

Not wanting to ask/beg someone else to do it, I told myself I was going to add missing episodes myself, but wanting to to do things right I had some small issues, So i prefer ask before do it :

1- What exactly is '' Romanized Title '' even with the clarification below the textbox I'm not sure to have understood.

2- How Accurate is to be with the Duration, is there a particular place that I take this information from or the duration of my own episode is enough?

Mar 19, 2016 9:39 AM

Apr 2012
Since MAL just recently started the episode title list, we still need many hard-working people to add episodes especially for older titles.

1. Romanized means "using English letters to represent Japanese words". This is done by translating hiragana and katakana into English letters with the same sound. For example, in Code Geass S2 eps 1, "魔神 が 目覚める 日" is the Japanese title; "Majin ga Mezameru Hi" is the romantized title.

If you don't know much Japanese, this could be a somewhat difficult task. Don't worry about it for now. Just fill in the English title and airing date for now and eventually someone else will add other stuff. Or, you can use wikipedia (search code geass and change language to Japanese, scroll down near bottom to find the episode name in Japanese

2. I think the ultimate standard that MAL refers to is the TV aired version of anime. However, there is not going to be too much difference in time duration so I'd say just use the DVD version that you have. Moreover, my opinion is that rounding the episode duration to the nearest minute or the nearest 30s is enough.
bunny1ov3rMar 19, 2016 9:44 AM
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Mar 19, 2016 12:49 PM

May 2012
Mods activity is still slow, so needs some time. And seems like episode feature is still under development (if they are finished then I'll be super surprised, because for anime titles that put US edited episode titles as priority without displaying correct actual Japanese version titles is a problem so far, this is something you need to be aware of, or anything being licensed that might get different titles, which means they'll be put into priority. Mods will deny your edits if you try to modify/add them into Japanese titles for licensed or edited anime by the US).
As for Code Gease, might be a surprise but popularity doesn't mean those episodes will be listed. It's all up to whether or not people had submitted those or not. If never, then mods won't even detect those submissions of course. Or if you only submitted only this week, then it will be slower because the mods had to process other episodes from many weeks ago instead. So you need to play the waiting game.

As for the questions:
1. It's like how in English we use some symbols and letters in square brackets to mark pronunciations of any English word. So romanized titles are "words/sentences" of how you would pronounce the Japanese characters using English letters. MAL house style for romanization would be when it comes to vowels such as u and i, instead of writing them like in wiki sites (i.e. ū and ī), you write doubles of the letters instead (i.e. uu and ii). For ō, it becomes ou instead etc. Even if you submit with letters like on wikis, the mods should be able to correct them.

2. Normally they go with the TV broadcast duration. Exact ones are ok too, but some mods tend to round them up or put their own durations even if you submit the correct duration sometimes, so just submit the TV durations and see what happens. Normally the exact duration should've been accepted. Any anime that might have director's cuts or extra scenes in BD/DVDs tend not to be accepted from experience of submitting durations myself. But so far, there isn't really a rule about which ones they are looking for.
chaosflame5Mar 19, 2016 12:52 PM
Mar 19, 2016 3:37 PM
Dec 2013
Thanks to you two, that answer pretty much to my questions.

Also I didn't know that Episode was something new, I've never look too much elsewhere before I start using plex. So that explain why it's not finish, but know that i know how, when I will have a little of time for myself i will help as much as I can.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Modification Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - May 15, 2016

8680 by Mister_Kay »»
8 hours ago

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Genre/Theme Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 28, 2022

685 by Una_Sama89 »»
Yesterday, 6:00 AM

» will the Scott Pilgrim anime be added to the database? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GanjiTheDude - Mar 30, 2023

756 by YoshiYogurt »»
Apr 20, 1:12 PM

» Could we stop having Justin Cook at the start of every anime entry's staff list?

El-Melloi - Jul 29, 2023

10 by MadanielFL »»
Apr 20, 11:44 AM

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Official French/German/Spanish Titles Here

Kineta - Nov 10, 2021

45 by Vaturna »»
Apr 18, 3:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.