Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 5, 2016 11:35 PM
Mar 2016
This has honestly confused me for the longest time, but how is it that Brotherhood gets so much praise? Okay, say you've answered that question, then how is it that the original gets hated so much by Brotherhood fans? Like one of the reviews for FMA on this site, I find it so baffling because FMA 03 was a classic among the likes of Cowboy Bebop and NGE before Brotherhood came along. Also no way am I posting this in a Brotherhood forum, since I've seen this question asked there, and holy shit they are not respectful at all. Although FMA 03 is not the greatest anime of all time, nor is it in my top 3 favorites, I respect it as a classic. In my honest opinion, I think Brotherhood is a 7/10 at best, and is one of the most overrated anime of all time. Keep in mind, I haven't read much of the manga, but honestly I doubt 70% of Brotherhood fans have either, especially the ones who love to argue that FMA B follows the manga better.

Maybe it's because I saw the original first that I really didn't enjoy Brotherhood. FMA 03 was incredibly cinematic, and overall it was made to be its own thing, not JUST an animated version of the manga. A good example of how I felt it improved on the source material is in the first episode, when they first show the human transmutation incident. I loved it so much, and it set the tone for a much darker anime than I was expecting. And then after they showed the mother's new face, they cut to black. The original had a lot of neat film techniques like that to make it more exciting. Then... I watched Brotherhood. Everything about how they did the exact same scene was just... IMO so much worse. Straight up, it was brighter, and the colors did not give me the same dark feeling the original did. Second, the mom was not scary at all! And this part may just be personal opinion, but I feel like the emotion wasn't conveyed as well. These factors all led to me just not caring about what was happening the same way I did in the original. The art style was also just so much worse, which was crazy considering it was a newer anime. It often felt like a low-budget anime animated in Macromedia Flash at times (ofc that feeling went away when we look at the fight scenes and the openings). This is just one example of a scene that I didn't like, but really a good 80% of Brotherhood was just very hard to enjoy for me.

Sorry if my post offends anyone reading, but I'm guessing if you're on this forum and not the Brotherhood forum, you may at least see where I'm coming from.
Mar 6, 2016 12:10 AM

May 2015
shut up you fuken alt
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Mar 6, 2016 6:32 AM

Mar 2015
FMA Brotherhood is a good show. I think it does deserve it's praise, however the original FMA deserves more of it.

Why People hate FMA 2003:
-Not a happy ending
-Did not follow manga
-As a result, certain characters were not seen e.g. Ling, Olivier Armstrong

Why FMAB is a good show:
-Great Story. Goal of the plot changes because the brothers find themselves entangled with something much bigger than they think.
-Great Characters
-Good animation

Why FMA is better IMO:
-Focus remains on Al and the search for the philospher's stone. Plot more based around that instead.
-So much darker tone that ties into the series' themes. Shou Tucker trying to bring back Nina. Edward on the verge of transmuting prisoners into the Philospher's Stone. The episode focused on Lust. Edward's conflict with killing Sloth.
-Homunculi. Lust, Sloth, and Wrath are all well developed, Lust being my favorite and her conquest to become human. The show also reveals how they come about, via the obsession of humans which has more depth than being created by an evil being.
-The ending. The ending was more than a happy ending(which is still good), I love how the moral isn't hard work always means equal gain, because that's been proven in the series to be wrong, and has been reflected to be true in real life as well. At times people work hard and get nothing as discussed by Dante, and that's simply the nature of the world. Not perfect. The moral really is if you keep working hard you are bound to be paid back, not that you can immediately expect working hard to mean equal gain- it's a promise as Alphonse says.
-The apparent message that even if you gain something, doesn't mean you didn't pay for it before. If you lose something, it doesn't mean you didn't gain something. Ties in with equivalent exchange. Seen in Dante's dialogue and the ending conversation with Edward and Hohenheim.
-The soundtrack "Brothers" and all it's variations.
“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth. But the world isn't perfect, and the law is incomplete..." -Alphonse Elric

"Then and now, what I protect has never changed!" -Sakata Gintoki

I'll take anything like The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. Anything as good as that.
Mar 6, 2016 6:34 AM

Aug 2014
GaryMuffuginOak said:
FMA Brotherhood is a good show. I think it does deserve it's praise, however the original FMA deserves more of it.

-Not a happy ending
-Did not follow manga

Why FMAB is a good show:
-Great Story. Goal of the plot changes because the brothers find themselves entangled with something much bigger than they think.
-Great Characters
-Good animation

Why FMA is better IMO:
-Focus remains on Al and the search for the philospher's stone. Plot more based around that instead.
-So much darker tone that ties into the series' themes. Shou Tucker trying to bring back Nina. Edward on the verge of transmuting prisoners into the Philospher's Stone. The episode focused on Lust. Edward's conflict with killing Sloth.
-Homunculi. Lust, Sloth, and Wrath are all well developed, Lust being my favorite and her conquest to become human. The show also reveals how they come about, via the obsession of humans which has more depth than being created by an evil being.
-The ending. The ending was more than a happy ending(which is still good), I love how the moral isn't hard work always means equal gain, because that's been proven in the series to be wrong, and has been reflected to be true in real life as well. At times people work hard and get nothing as discussed by Dante, and that's simply the nature of the world. Not perfect. The moral really is if you keep working hard you are bound to be paid back, not that you can immediately expect working hard to mean equal gain- it's a promise as Alphonse says.
-The apparent message that even if you gain something, doesn't mean you didn't pay for it before. If you lose something, it doesn't mean you didn't gain something. Ties in with equivalent exchange. Seen in Dante's dialogue and the ending conversation with Edward and Hohenheim.

You said everything.
Mar 6, 2016 8:02 AM
Mar 2016
Malarkey said:
shut up you fuken alt

This is my only account lol. I just made one last night to make this post.

GaryMuffuginOak said:

-Not a happy ending
-Did not follow manga

Why FMAB is a good show:
-Great Characters
-Good animation

Why FMA is better IMO:

Great answer. I agree with everything you said about FMA, especially about the ending. To add to your answer, how they made Mustang the killer of Winry's parents and not Scar was also a really nice choice. Still... I'm not entirely convinced FMA B deserves the score it gets on MAL.
Jun 27, 2016 7:53 PM
Jul 2013
GaryMuffuginOak said:

-Not a happy ending
-Did not follow manga

Why FMAB is a good show:
-Great Characters
-Good animation

Why FMA is better IMO:

Well said. FMA 2003 will always be a "classic", darker and more creative.

-Not a happy ending (So what? Why can't people accept stories for what they are "stories"!!! This is the story the creators of 2003 created, how can something be bad for not having a happy ending? I thought creating fiction is about making your orignial story. If I tell you of a hero who dies after saving the princess people will say: why does he have to die? BAD!!! 5/10 " Because thats the story deal with it"!!, people acting like little children... who love bright things and average junk

-Did not follow manga (Unfort. but just because it doesn't follow the Manga doesn't mean it's bad", people should clearly see why its a good series)

-As a result, certain characters were not seen e.g. Ling, Olivier Armstrong ( I understand if MANGA readers are sad about that)

People shouldn't hate "hate" FMA 03 maybe point these things out instead of acting like FMA B fanboys who are little children which love everything that looks nice and is funny. Berserk? AHH it's scary and disgusting :D :D I will stay with Naruto, Avatar and Ladybug
MyklenJun 27, 2016 8:00 PM
Jun 27, 2016 8:31 PM

Jul 2014
Myklen said:
Well said. FMA 2003 will always be a "classic", darker and more creative.

-Not a happy ending (So what? Why can't people accept stories for what they are "stories"!!! This is the story the creators of 2003 created, how can something be bad for not having a happy ending? I thought creating fiction is about making your orignial story. If I tell you of a hero who dies after saving the princess people will say: why does he have to die? BAD!!! 5/10 " Because thats the story deal with it"!!, people acting like little children... who love bright things and average junk

-Did not follow manga (Unfort. but just because it doesn't follow the Manga doesn't mean it's bad", people should clearly see why its a good series)

-As a result, certain characters were not seen e.g. Ling, Olivier Armstrong ( I understand if MANGA readers are sad about that)

People shouldn't hate "hate" FMA 03 maybe point these things out instead of acting like FMA B fanboys who are little children which love everything that looks nice and is funny. Berserk? AHH it's scary and disgusting :D :D I will stay with Naruto, Avatar and Ladybug

Or it could be that people don't have a problem with those things per se, but they just didn't they were done that well in the anime. That doesn't mean they're children.

Chill out dude, jeez.
Jun 27, 2016 9:17 PM

Mar 2014
FMA 2003 is fucking excellent. FMAB is just just that much superior.
Jul 7, 2016 1:52 AM

Jul 2016
FMAB was pretty generic, not bad but just nothing special unlike FMA. Really love the latter, one of my first anime that showed how awesome this medium could be.

A shame its bashed so much since lame FMA:B came out.
Jul 7, 2016 4:21 AM
Jul 2016
I enjoyed both Brotherhood and the original. I try not to compare them becuase thier story lines are differant and each is great in its own.

Brotherhood focused on a broader range of characters had a happy ending.

The original gets so much hate becuase it doesn't follow the manga even though when it was created it had no manga to follow and therefor would not be able to predict the outcome.

My only uncertainty of the original was that the OVAs and specials didn't hold up to the level the anime itself had. I enjoyed the Brotherhood's OVAs more but that is just my opinion.
Jan 6, 2017 5:06 PM
Aug 2009
I prefer FMA 2003) I believe Most people like happy endings and little drama + when bad guys are really bad, good guys are definitely good like in blockbuster who needs doubtful character. So this is the secret to succes)
Sep 15, 2019 7:37 PM

Jun 2016
YEAH BRO, I definitely agree

I liked 2003 better because everything just falls into place and it's such a nicer story to follow because you actually know the goal and can actually see them working towards their goal.

to me the ending was not a happy or bad end, it was very realistic and I can accept that because that's what the show was, realistic. It ended off with a high note and I was a little sad that there was no winry and ed ending, but in my opinion it was an ok or maybe even a good ending

the movie was kinda shitty but hey, we got to see al and mustang again and I'm good with that

it was sad that they don't get to see everyone else, but I think it's fitting that they at least ended up together because they're like two peas in a pod! You can't separate them...

edit: i finally got around to finishing fmab and i must say that the ending is better and it feels more concise but like the last 10 episode were amazing and the rest is like actually so boring (actually its specifically the first l40 episodes) i may be a bit over-critical to this to '03 tho
MinervusrenAug 28, 2021 12:02 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ItsMeAndrea - Dec 20, 2008

67 by Ronin_4011 »»
Apr 13, 11:29 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ItsMeAndrea - Dec 21, 2008

170 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 4:46 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 50 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 12, 2009

56 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 4:04 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 49 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 11, 2009

57 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 3:41 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 48 Discussion

suki78787 - Jul 13, 2009

44 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 3:16 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.