Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 5, 2016 4:21 AM
Jan 2016
I just watched the series and i found it to be good but nothing great.

The show has a lot of coincidence/cliche. Characters just meet each other and find others at the right place and right time. The MC will guess what will happen or what can happen throughout the show. This has been bugging me because this show is considered a masterpiece by many people. How can it be a masterpiece when it has so many flaws? I want to like the show and be a fan like others but i cant find what is so great about it.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 5, 2016 4:24 AM

Jul 2015
yep i feel the same is not that great
but dont worry boku dake will take his place soon :)
Mar 5, 2016 4:25 AM
Jul 2015
"The MC will guess what will happen or what can happen throughout the show."

This also happens very often in LOGH and people consider it a masterpiece. I still get what you mean though.
hi
Mar 5, 2016 4:26 AM

Sep 2014
Well it's obviously just not for you, simple as that. Everyone has different opinions, your opinion is just very unpopular. I think one of the possible reasons as to you not liking it is that you hyped it up too much and thought it was going to be absolutely perfect before watching it.
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"

Feb 2015
You know you may have not liked it but there is a thing called opinions and other people's opinion about this series is very high that's why it is rated at #1.

Jul 2015
Because it's a really great anime. That's why.
If most people love it/like it, then it will be rated high.
Keep in mind that opinions and taste are subjective.
Mar 2014
TheDecoy said:

The show has a lot of coincidence/cliche. Characters just meet each other and find others at the right place and right time. The MC will guess what will happen or what can happen throughout the show. This has been bugging me because this show is considered a masterpiece by many people. How can it be a masterpiece when it has so many flaws? I want to like the show and be a fan like others but i cant find what is so great about it.

There aren't that many 'flaws' from what I remember. It's been a very long time since I last watched it though, so I won't argue.
The reason FMAB is the highest rated isn't because it's the best. It's because the least amount of people had complaints about it. If no one gives it a 1-5 score to counteract the people who give everything 10, as is the case with most other anime, of course it will rise to the top. And very few people actually consider FMAB deserving of a 1-5 score because of its wide appeal and lack of any of the major flaws that bother most people.
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Mar 5, 2016 4:28 AM

Jul 2013
Because the majority likes it. It's as simple as that OP. No matter how much you express your disgust for FMAB, you'll always be in the vocal minority.
Mar 5, 2016 4:29 AM

Dec 2015
I can't speak for others, but to me it's because it's a funny, action packed series with well fleshed out characters, a good story and a surprising depth. Now there are more shonen that have one or more of those but I rarely see any with all those things combined. That in itself is impressive. Maybe I haven't watched enough shonen for that but it seems rare to me.
Mar 5, 2016 4:30 AM

Dec 2012
I have no idea. I think it's just above average at best. I also don't see it's universal appeal.

And people call i flawless, when it has this many issues:

FMA:B spoilers
Mar 5, 2016 4:32 AM

Dec 2015
Tenshi_Shura said:
Because the majority likes it. It's as simple as that OP. No matter how much you express your disgust for FMAB, you'll always be in the vocal minority.

Disgust?
He said in the very first sentence that he thought it was "good but nothing great"
Mar 5, 2016 4:32 AM

May 2013
Because it's good...it's just that good.
Mar 5, 2016 4:35 AM

Feb 2010
TheDecoy said:

if fmab nothing great then what kind of anime you think is great?
Mar 5, 2016 4:36 AM

Mar 2015
That's amazing, to go out of your way and question why an anime is so highly rated. It's your first post even. Certainly there are some coincidences(however I don't see a lot of cliche). These flaws you name can be easily overlooked by their good characters, story and it's simple moral message. That's why it's loved.

Just because something has flaws doesn't mean it can't be a masterpiece. It knows how to entertain. If you don't like it, watch the 2003 FMA version. I liked it more than FMAB.
“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth. But the world isn't perfect, and the law is incomplete..." -Alphonse Elric

"Then and now, what I protect has never changed!" -Sakata Gintoki

I'll take anything like The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. Anything as good as that.
Mar 5, 2016 4:45 AM

Aug 2014
Simple, alot of people liked it. No bigger mystery lies behind it, opinions are a subjective matter and varies from person to person, you might love one show while others might hate it.
Mar 5, 2016 4:46 AM

Jan 2014
tsudecimo said:
I have no idea. I think it's just above average at best. I also don't see it's universal appeal.

*writes a novel criticizing FMA:B's flaws*
*gives FMA:B a 6*

*Favorite Anime/Manga/Character: Naruto*
*gives Naruto a 10*

Mar 5, 2016 4:57 AM

Jul 2013
Bobby2Hands said:
Tenshi_Shura said:

Disgust?
He said in the very first sentence that he thought it was "good but nothing great"

So I'm guessing my point flew all over your head and the only thing you picked up from my statement is the word disgust. Kay
Mar 5, 2016 5:00 AM
Mar 2014
Tenshi_Shura said:
Bobby2Hands said:

Disgust?

So I'm guessing my point flew all over your head and the only thing you picked up from my statement is the word disgust. Kay

Wrong. He only responded to that part of the statement because it's the only thing he felt the need to correct.
Rinth said:

Mar 5, 2016 5:02 AM

Aug 2015
While this post seemed to be off-topic, don't forget that there are others who are willing to create alternate accounts for the sake of inflating/deflating the rating of a certain anime, especially Gintama, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Steins;Gate, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Clannad, ERASED and HunterXHunter... Yeah, fans of these seven series within the Top 10 of so-called "Best Anime" are willing to do anything just for the sake of rankings, although Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood has not changed its score (9.25) for quite a long time and that ERASED (9.14, as of this point) was still airing (as well as Gintama [2015])... So that remains fans of the other five that are willing to do anything for a change in position in rankings. For instance...

Legend of the Galactic Heroes = played between 9.08 to 9.10
Clannad: After Story = played between 9.09 to 9.11
HunterXHunter (2011) = played between 9.14 to 9.15
Steins;Gate = played between 9.16 to 9.17
Gintama (2015) = played between 9.16 to 9.17

Mar 5, 2016 5:03 AM

Oct 2011
Because it's got an amazing plot and the characters are so loveable.
Mar 5, 2016 5:04 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Because it's pretty much not hated by anyone. FMA:B is #1 because it's almost universally approved of, not because it has the most 10s (after all, it doesn't)
Mar 5, 2016 5:05 AM

Feb 2016
Every anime is disliked by some people. FMAB just succeeded in appealing the majority more than other anime could.
I also think it's great.
KutoriMar 5, 2016 5:10 AM
Mar 5, 2016 5:06 AM

Oct 2014
Because it's the best shounen anime of all times. It has great characters and a great story.
Mar 5, 2016 5:14 AM

Feb 2016
Carthew said:
tsudecimo said:

*gives Naruto a 10*

he make points but instead of refute it, you pick on his favorite

Gluzin said:
Because it's the best shounen anime of all times. It has great characters and a great story.
or.... you could explain to him what make it best. instead of just saying it's best.

OT:
well, just like other said, rather than because it's loved by everyone, it's just that it's not hated by anyone.
Mar 5, 2016 5:21 AM

Apr 2014
Don't know. It wasn't that enjoyable and most of the story is really forgetable. I guess, the somewhat good character development is the reason people like it.
Mar 5, 2016 5:32 AM

Jan 2014
Xilly said:

There's no need to refute. I agree with him in the point that it isn't flawless.

He didn't loved FMA:B because he saw a number of flaws in the series and wrote a novel about his opinions, interpretations and doubts.

Naruto is full of flaws. He gave it a 10/10. If the flaws were the reason that made him give FMA:B a 6, then he also should have given Naruto at least 6.

The fact that he criticize other series for its flaws and ignore the Naruto ones is just weird (hence the “wat”).
CarthewMar 5, 2016 11:13 AM
Mar 5, 2016 5:33 AM
Mar 2015
tragedydesu said:

Haha dont joke mate, erased will soon go down to 8.9 score or something
Mar 5, 2016 5:37 AM

Mar 2015
noFaith said:
tragedydesu said:

when "that" happened, still on 8.5 range is already good IMHO. salty people is dangerous.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 5, 2016 5:39 AM

Feb 2016
BlackMageNo1 said:

Gintama (2015) = played between 9.16 to 9.17

irrelevant to the thread but just want to say that Gintama score didnt rise because of upvote alts but because of downvote alts has been removed.

(well i remember Tyrel said that somewhere)
Mar 5, 2016 5:41 AM

Feb 2013
le edgy atheist pandering
le empowered female character trope
le shounen with an ending and no filler face
and pretty good production values and music to boot
what's not to like
Mar 5, 2016 5:41 AM

Jun 2015
I have totally never seen this thread before

It may not be my favorite, but I can very well say that it is a masterpiece in its own right. It delves into mature and complex themes, yet is accessable to the general audience. Put those hand-to-hand along with tons of likeable characters, and you've got one hell of a show.
Mar 5, 2016 5:51 AM

Jul 2015
noFaith said:
tragedydesu said:

Erased is not opm ,i think he will keep the +9 rating
unless some people downvoted it because is "A1-picture" anime
number 1 is still too far , I think I have a bit exaggerated =D
tragedydesuMar 5, 2016 5:58 AM
Mar 5, 2016 5:55 AM

Oct 2014
Xilly said:
Carthew said:

*gives Naruto a 10*

Gluzin said:
or.... you could explain to him what make it best. instead of just saying it's best.

OT:
well, just like other said, rather than because it's loved by everyone, it's just that it's not hated by anyone.
I didn't feel the need to explain but I might as well: The characters are very likable and have great development. The story is epic, gives you a great sense of adventure, is full of twists and turns, has a great ending and great themes for a shounen. The action is awesome to watch, it has beautiful animation and a really cool soundtrack. It's my second highest 9/10 and it only doesn't get a 10 because the first 13 episodes were a bit rushed because that part had already been adapted from the manga in the 2003 version.
Mar 5, 2016 5:56 AM

Aug 2015
It's overrated dude.

Original FMA was better than FMA:B , according to @RainyRai
Mar 5, 2016 5:56 AM
Aug 2015
not sure haven't watched it yet

on my to watch list
Mar 5, 2016 6:00 AM

Jun 2015
Z-Dante said:
It's overrated dude.

He also says that the manga is better than both.
Mar 5, 2016 6:00 AM

Mar 2015
tragedydesu said:
noFaith said:

dude, we talking about upcoming event in original source which is probably adapted. it has nothing to do with being A-1 or downvote.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 5, 2016 6:07 AM

Aug 2015
Kuma said:
tragedydesu said:

dude, we talking about upcoming event in original source which is probably adapted. it has nothing to do with being A-1 or downvote.
It'll be just plain salt tbh. I can already see half of the fans turning into haters
Mar 5, 2016 6:13 AM

Feb 2016
Gluzin said:
I didn't feel the need to explain but I might as well: The characters are very likable and have great development.

what make the character likable? why do you think the character's development is great?
Gluzin said:

The story is epic,

what make it epic?
Gluzin said:

gives you a great sense of adventure,

what is it that give you great sense of adventure?
Gluzin said:

is full of twists and turns,
what are those twists and turns? and how much did those twists and turns gave impact to the story/characters? why?
Gluzin said:

has a great ending and great themes for a shounen.
what make the ending great?why do you consider fmabs theme as great?

P.S I'm not picking on the show, i just want someone who said it's great to elaborate why do they think it's great instead of just saying it's great. Please don't be triggered. peace peace.
Mar 5, 2016 6:17 AM

Oct 2014
Xilly said:
Gluzin said:
I didn't feel the need to explain but I might as well: The characters are very likable and have great development.

what make the character likable? why do you think the character's development is great?
Gluzin said:

The story is epic,

what make it epic?
Gluzin said:

gives you a great sense of adventure,

Gluzin said:

is full of twists and turns,
what are those twists and turns? and how much did those twists and turns gave impact to the story/characters? why?
Gluzin said:

has a great ending and great themes for a shounen.

P.S I'm not picking on the show, i just want the fan to elaborate why do they think it's great instead of just saying it's great. Please don't be triggered. peace peace.
Great because it gave closure to every characters and the plot. The themes am talking about are: love your family, learn through pain, let go of the past... And many more, all those themes were well executed throughout the story and not just preached to us. Overall, it's an anime that is deep and mature for those who like those kinds of things and at the same time it's lite and fun for the more casual audience, that's why it's loved by the majority, it's the only anime that has both elitists and casuals calling it a masterpiece.
Mar 5, 2016 7:15 AM

May 2015
Z-Dante said:
It's overrated dude.

Truth.
AltoRoark99 said:
Z-Dante said:
It's overrated dude.

He also says that the manga is better than both.

This is also true unless a magical remake of FMA 2003 comes along which explores the CoS ending more. If it was the FMA 2003 anime minus Shamballa I'd say it's better then the manga.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Mar 5, 2016 7:17 AM
Jul 2018
Because it fits the tastes of the most of the people and the popularity is snowballing on itself.
Mar 5, 2016 7:21 AM

Jan 2015
Because the Anime is too good compared to it's original version :3

I got bored the first 15 episodes but that's cause I was watching it straight after have finished the old one, though it became so much better ^^

Gonna rewatch it some day soon :3
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

Mar 5, 2016 7:22 AM
Mar 2014
I
Gluzin said:
Xilly said:

what make it epic?

P.S I'm not picking on the show, i just want the fan to elaborate why do they think it's great instead of just saying it's great. Please don't be triggered. peace peace.
Great because it gave closure to every characters and the plot. The themes am talking about are: love your family, learn through pain, let go of the past... And many more, all those themes were well executed throughout the story and not just preached to us. Overall, it's an anime that is deep and mature for those who like those kinds of things and at the same time it's lite and fun for the more casual audience, that's why it's loved by the majority, it's the only anime that has both elitists and casuals calling it a masterpiece.
I think he's asking for examples that show how the themes are well executed, what makes it mature, etc. as well as the things he asked for that you didn't seem to address.
Rinth said:

Mar 5, 2016 7:24 AM

Dec 2012
TheDecoy said:

This is so vague and ambiguous that I can literally say the same thing about any other anime.
Mar 5, 2016 7:24 AM

Oct 2014
omfgplzstop said:
I
Gluzin said:
I think he's asking for examples that show how the themes are well executed, what makes it mature, etc. as well as the things he asked for that you didn't seem to address.
He watched the show, what does it matter if the moments were epic for me and not for him. I don't remember everything that happened since I've watch many many shows after it.
Mar 5, 2016 7:40 AM

Oct 2014
I happen to notice that you haven't seen FMA 03. FMAB is a re-adaption, but it's not the complete story. The original creators expect viewers to have seen the original before they watch FMAB. I've watched FMA 03 and I will be watching FMAB sometime in the near future.
Mar 5, 2016 7:55 AM
Jan 2015
That's actually because of the intricate plot development and developed characters - these two are quite rare in the shounen demographic so yeah. It is loved and will remain to be loved by everyone. :)
Mar 5, 2016 7:57 AM

Dec 2015
tragedydesu said:

Would be nice to see but whiny bitches keep complain that its *Oh no, another time traveling anime. Dislike*
I can fuckin' imagine their reaction towards harem series lololol
Mar 5, 2016 8:00 AM

May 2015
zombie_pegasus said:
I happen to notice that you haven't seen FMA 03. FMAB is a re-adaption, but it's not the complete story. The original creators expect viewers to have seen the original before they watch FMAB. I've watched FMA 03 and I will be watching FMAB sometime in the near future.

And it's for this reason and the reason that they assume you also read the manga is why FMA:B is nothing but a cash-grab fanservice remake and for people to praise it like it's the second coming of jesus is ridiculous to me.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

samatar45 - Oct 2, 2009

286 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Oct 11, 2009

296 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

» What’s bad about this anime ( 1 2 3 )

sangonomiya_k - Nov 18, 2023

132 by Chewbaccaccino »»
Apr 21, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

adamantine - Aug 16, 2009

215 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 20, 10:29 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

965 by _dziku »»
Apr 19, 2:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.