Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Descending Stories
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 4, 2016 9:49 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hatsutaro is awesome as usual, just love the way he performs in front of any audience. I still find him to be one of the most complex characters besides Kiku.

After that dramatic fallout, I guess he's feeling down as well. Miyokichi also seems to rely on him now after getting dumped. I hope Kiku starts to regret some of his actions and be more accepting of others. Pretty tense episode. Kiku really needs to start rebuilding his relationship with others.
Stark700Mar 4, 2016 1:40 PM
Mar 4, 2016 9:54 AM

Nov 2007
Main guy finds the lady, who would get where she belongs out soon (so double sad). Friend and teacher arguing about Rakugo and especially giving the name to the main guy.

The main guy is told about the same thing and had a little fight over who is suitable. Friend and the lady living together, and she still thinks about the main guy. Wait, she's pregnant? Wow, he guessed he's with the lady by the smell.

manga panel form in several scenes in this ep. is interesting.

Teacher dying next.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Mar 4, 2016 1:30 PM

Apr 2015
Wow, most intense episode in a while! It's so sad seeing their friendship starting, blooming, and now falling apart like this. But the beauty of this show is in its realism I guess. Couldn't care less about miyokichi tbh, she puts herself in these situations
Mar 4, 2016 1:35 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
This episode brought out so many emotions in me

First of all, this was easily the most intense and depressing episode by far and the way that it was handled was really great from beginning to end

Secondly, to every single last one of the simple minded, one dimensional, jealous and salty ass old farts in the Rakugo business and including Yakumo......FUCK YOU AND I HOPE YOU ALL BURN IN HELL....Man I was so happy to see Shin take that bitch of a presidents' signature play and killed it

Thirdly, Shin-chan didn't deserve any of the bullshit he went through because of those old idiots, the man spoke to the truth to them all and had a great point too, but as usual and even IRL, there are always those old heads that refuse to admit when they're wrong, evolve and get with the times....Yes being old fashioned has it merits, but being in denial over change is just stupid

Part of me wants to feel bad for Kiku, but at the same time I'm pissed off by him because he practically became a sellout to these old men and took Miyo and Shin for granted all this time....Yeah what he said to Miyokichi was justified, but he broke that girl and did it so heartlessly....But at least he was honest to Yakumo when they had that talk

I'm glad that she and Shin left because like Kiku said, nobody deserved to be the next Yakumo other than him but alas, as per usual in any society, it all comes to down to a person's social status and class regardless of the fact of if you have talent or not....I can't believe this guy was cheated and destroyed like that in the end

This episode pissed me the fuck off lol, but in a good way, and it only goes to show just how great it is.....Not surprised to see that our two broken souls have found each other and are expecting (Going by the PV we now know the parentage of our favorite fiery red haired girl)

I always liked the thought of them getting together so this made me happy and their scenes together were hot af lol, I wonder I many times they smashed xD

Regardless of all that, it looks like we're in for a timeskip so I'm curious to see how things have changed.....I'm not even mad by the fact that Shin left and turned his back to them all because I would probably do the same especially after that talk in the ending scene
TokoyaMar 4, 2016 9:00 PM
Mar 4, 2016 1:47 PM

Jun 2015
Another fantastic episode. Hearing that Miyokichi is pregnant, it looks like things are starting to come full circle.
Mar 4, 2016 1:48 PM

Jan 2012
And the downward spiral continues as Shin is banished and Yakumo breaks it off with Miyokichi. Of course the shunned two would find comfort in each other. More drama regarding the inheritance of the Yakumo name than I expected, I figured that was settled last week. Well Shin was right about rakugo needing to adapt to survive, but it's never wise to go against tradition I guess. Miyokichi's pregnant, and time is moving quicker towards her and Shin's eventual ends, like watching a car crash you can see coming but can do nothing about. I'd guess we've got two more episodes left in the past, maybe one.
Mar 4, 2016 1:51 PM

Aug 2010
That was sad :(

How Shin got expelled and the same night Miyokichi got dumped. I can see why they ended up together and probably comforted each other that night resulting in Konatsu.

Dat Miyokichi fanservice tho :L Lol at how she kept talking about Kiku even while on top of Shin XD

Seeing the fact that Shin was actually always jelly of Kiku as well was depressing. And the dispute they had when Shin was telling him he's gonna leave was hard to watch ;_;

We gonna see a loli Konatsu nxt ep?
Mar 4, 2016 1:54 PM
Jul 2018
This episode brought out many emotions.

Shin got expelled and Miyokichi got dumped at the same night!
Mar 4, 2016 1:58 PM

Jan 2015
JWJDHEKEOHFWKNSBS THIS FUCKING EPISODEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2016 2:07 PM

Nov 2014
There's so much going on in this story.

Shin wants to modernize rakugo so it can appeal to more people. This is a reasonable request. People evolve; art has to also evolve to remain relevant.

Shin criticized sensei's rakugo too harshly, got expelled, and now he's moving to the country to be with Miyokichi, and take care of her baby. The pacing jumped from 30 to 100 in a matter of two episodes.

I was surprised by the physical intimacy that was shown between Shin and Miyokichi. It was uncharacteristically mature for an anime.

And I'm picking up some yaoi vibes from Kiku for Shin.

5/5
Mar 4, 2016 2:18 PM

Apr 2011
By far the most intense episode of the series yet. So many raw emotions (negative ones) and such a depressing scenery (everything happened during the night).

I was angry to see that Yakumo expelled Shin. Yes, I understand old people don't like when they hear things have to change but at the same time the new generation needs to make changes in order to survive the new era in Japan that provides different forms of entertainment. Shin was right but his way of telling it was too brutal for the old man.

Regarding Shin and Miyo: Both of them created a relationship based on sadness (Shin) and feel of revenge (Miyo). They both took advantage of the other in order to feel 'better' and keep on moving one way or another.

The ending scene was the most painful for me. Kiku and Shin had a fight, where for the first time we get to hear about how Shin regarding Kiku about rakugo (the negative side). The look of pain in Kiku's eyes and all that talk about his back was amazing.

Preview has baby Konatsu. Im both excited and afraid of the next episode.
Mar 4, 2016 2:24 PM

Jul 2012
Amazing episode. Best so far. Love those flashy like from a play moment.
Mar 4, 2016 2:26 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Such a shame how disastrous Shin's fate turned out. It was pretty much granted though, judging by his utmost passion to contemporize Rakugo. I suppose Kiku's terminal antipathy towards Shin originated from this very point.

Mar 4, 2016 2:27 PM

Sep 2014
Once again, I cannot stand Miyokichi.
Mar 4, 2016 2:30 PM

Jun 2015
This was an amazing episode, easily the best one so far. This show never ceases to amaze me with its characters and story.
Mar 4, 2016 2:54 PM

Oct 2012
"The next time I see you will be in hell." Love that scene.
I understand Shin so much. He really didn't deserve any of this.

Best episode so far.
Mar 4, 2016 3:21 PM

Sep 2014
WOW. So intense! This is why it's my #1

Damn, this is sad :(
Mar 4, 2016 3:53 PM

Dec 2010
Masterpiece.
I can't find words to describe this anime anymore. This episode was so emotional I felt my chest was burning.

I loved the scene where Kiku definitively brakes up with Miyokichi, I ended up rewatching it in the end. Now I'm even more interested in how Shin-san died, what happened to Miyokichi and why Konatsu ended up living with Kiku... Just thinking that there are only 4 episodes left makes me sadder than the anime itself, omg.
Mar 4, 2016 4:34 PM

Jul 2015
Kiku and a character somewhat dry in relation to the people around you (except Shin in my opinion) but it just amazes me and captivates even Miyokichi both love him, only that he is a cold way.
This final with Shin saying he envies Kiku gave a pain in the heart, because if I'm not mistaken Kiku already said he envies Shin
Mar 4, 2016 4:52 PM

Apr 2014
heartles kiku
poor shin poor miyu both rejected even i don´t like her so much
that baby maybe is from kiku...........not from shin
Mar 4, 2016 5:28 PM

Oct 2015
is it me or did anybody find the music in the last part of the episode were Kiku and Shin were arguing a bit off ? the music was a lil upbeat for the scene that was suppose to be sad
Mar 4, 2016 5:33 PM

Jul 2009
You know fucking what!? I'm so pissed that the one thing I truly didn't want to happen, happened. LIKE IT WAS OBVIOUS IT WOULD BUT WHYYYY. Fuck Shin there is a fucking code. But noooo you just had to go sleep Miyo. And Miyo really? I don't care how upset and desperate you were. You don't enter ANOTHER desperate horrible situation. Revenge? Please you're only hurting yourself. Shin is not husband material. And he is so not you're type. Gonna live another life of pretending and being used?

I think what pisses me off even more tho is the fact Kiku hardly cares. Someone mentioned this before but seriously...he's probably gay and doesn't know it. Doesn't mean he can't still be attracted to Miyo but I think he really just wants his bro.

He seriously has every right to rage and be angry as hell and yet nooooo. Still thinking of Shin. He knows rakugo is Shin's life. "Do anything except quit". Man. Still looking out for that idiot.

And I figured Shin was also having hardships and thinking Kiku was the loved child but even so I sympathize more with Kiku. Maybe because it's from his POV but more so because Shin could have tried but he didn't. He didn't have to be impolite or be a bum. He let himself go. At least Kiku tried! It was Shin who went to Manchuria with the master, and he was the one always being recognized for his talent. He could have been named Yakumo if he didn't have such a rotten personality. But yet he's trying to make it seem like because he was a no-good orphan taken in by pity he would never amount to anything. Bullshit.

Now he's leaving. Poor Kiku, this is why he's gonna be a lonely old man.
InugirlzMar 4, 2016 5:36 PM
Mar 4, 2016 6:13 PM

Dec 2014
This episode was amazing. The natural flow of the real emotions that the characters were hiding in was handled perfectly. Sukeroku especially shined this episode, from the arguing with the current master leading to expulsion to his sudden realization that he's broken down and doesn't have what he loves anymore, essentially making him lose purpose. And that final scene...give me more Deen, give me more.
Mar 4, 2016 6:42 PM

Sep 2013
Best anime of the season. Nothing comes close.
Mar 4, 2016 7:15 PM

Apr 2015
Episode easily surpasses all the other so far. There were lots of emotions mixed in this week, especially with Shin inevitably getting with Miyokichi and his and Yakumo's argument. With the master of the house passing his name to Yakumo, it's rather intense (plus the sakura scenery was pretty). Looking forward to what'll happen next.
Mar 4, 2016 7:39 PM

Dec 2008
Holy FUCK! That was an intense episode!!
Mar 4, 2016 7:44 PM

Oct 2013
This was the most riveting episode by far. I'm glad to see things are finally coming to a head with the build up of all of that tension. It is also good to REALLY see how Sukeroku feels about Kiku and the irony of the situation definitely works to add more to the tense atmosphere. I can't wait till next week!! WOOH
Mar 4, 2016 7:45 PM

Feb 2016
I can't stand Miyokichi, she crossed the line.

Yes, Kiku was cold and hurt her so much, but using Shin only for revenge and, the worst, having a kid. Such a bitch. Well, we could say that Kiku get what he deserves and more. With Shin... I have mixed feelings. I mean, I can't get completely mad at him because all that he lived and because he has a point with the preferencials treatments between Kiku and him, but MAN, YOU JUST NOT GET INVOLVED WITH YOUR BFF'S EX-GIRLFRIEND LIKE THAT. Geez.

Anyways, the worst thing is not happening yet and I don't feel prepared. I only know that, if Miyokichi is involved in Shin's dead, I'll never gonna hate more a fictional character.
Kisumi801Mar 4, 2016 7:50 PM
Mar 4, 2016 7:50 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Things are really starting to get intense. Kiku's as a character is changing, but he seems to still idolize Shin. Best episode yet!

5/5
GoldenDevilGamerMar 5, 2016 6:57 AM
Mar 4, 2016 8:00 PM

Jun 2014
Shin got expelled, and it turns out Miyokichi is pregnant. Holy crap these last few episodes are going to be one hell of a crazy roller coaster ride.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Mar 4, 2016 8:02 PM

Oct 2011
OMG T_______T

Their friendship is over

Konatsu is born OMG
Mar 4, 2016 8:06 PM
May 2013
Kisumi801 said:
I can't stand Miyokichi, she crossed the line.

Yes, Kiku was cold and hurt her so much, but using Shin only for revenge and, the worst, having a kid. Such a bitch. Well, we could say that Kiku get what he deserves and more. With Shin... I have mixed feelings. I mean, I can't get completely mad at him because all that he lived and because he has a point with the preferencials treatments between Kiku and him, but MAN, YOU JUST NOT GET INVOLVED WITH YOUR BFF'S EX-GIRLFRIEND LIKE THAT. Geez.

Anyways, the worst thing is not happening yet and I don't feel prepared. I only know that, if Miyokichi is involved in Shin's dead, I'll never gonna hate more a fictional character.

From the begining I have always suspected of Miyokichi like being the killer of Shin. I think after that she comitted suicide. Then the revenge was, indeed, very serious. Well that's my opinion.
Mar 4, 2016 9:14 PM
Jan 2015
That's just what I expect it, my kokoro was not able to take the drama this week. T-T

Why so great Rakugo? The distance between this and the next best anime (Erased) just got wider. Darn it.

The characterization of Sukeroku and Miyokichi turned for the dark and I love it. I still feel shivers with Miyokichi's line "The next time I will see you will be in hell". Turns out, Kikuhiko is the most level headed among everyone. Even the master gets some decent development.

The catharsis worked wonders especially towards the end. It must have been really painful for Kikuhiko to see the man he adores in terms of rakugo dismisses the very one thing he is great of. Darn, this is how you do drama Erased.

PS: here's my blog. Some shameless advertisement. Teehee.
samui26Mar 4, 2016 9:18 PM
Mar 4, 2016 11:05 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I like the contrast between Shin and Miyokichi. Miyokichi said she can change for whoever, but Shin could not, he could not act fake or obedient in front of his teacher and the rakugo association. And maybe because they're both so extreme that they've failed in getting what they wanted. Although I guess Kiku liked her persona when she was him, but when she told him that he didn't even know her real name, it was more accusing him than anything. Accusing someone that they don't know you, when you were the one that didn't try showing it in the first place? That's pretty much why I had no sympathy for her during the break up. Her life definitely hasn't been the greatest, but that's not how to you try to keep someone with you. I felt sort of satisfied when Kiku told her the same thing, that Miyokichi did not know his real name either. He may have loved her, but their relationship was never that intimate, and neither got to truly know the other.

As for Shin, I do think he's right that they need to change with the times to keep rakugo alive, but I also understand Yakumo's view that changing rakugo means destroying it. Still, if Shin wanted to get his point across, yelling at his teacher was not the way to go, and that line he said about Yakumo's rakugo being boring--that was the straw that broke the camel's back. Respect to your elders is very important. While I do like Shin for his passion for rakugo and his desire to keep rakugo alive, there's a part of me that can't sympathize for him either. Especially when he told Kikuhiko that Kiku has always has the affection of everyone. I doubt Kiku agreed with everything the elders said, but he chose to endure instead of talking back. For example, he tried to give his view to Yakumo regarding the elders' decision to make Kiku the next Yakumo, but he backed down quickly and trailed off. I'm pretty sure Kiku did put in effort to gain the elders' affection.

But anyways, really great episode, I liked the way they portrayed the different conflicts in this episode, as well as further going in on change versus traditional. And it really is a shame that Shin just gave up like that, but he's the stubborn type so of course he won't apologize. I'd at least apologize for calling Yakumo's rakugo boring though :/
Mar 4, 2016 11:05 PM

Feb 2015
So fucking good. I think this episode was more artsy than usual, which worked well.
Mar 5, 2016 12:37 AM

Jan 2015
Where the NTR at, show me the NTR, I'm here for the NTR.
O shit Miyokichi the bitchy EX.
Old man gets butthurt, people need to realize that there will be many opinions for the same shit.
He went and expelled Sukeroku too.
Shit interviewer. Sukeroku can't even perform in theaters anymore? Old man went all out butthurt.
Sukeroku X Miyokichi and then BOOM Pregnant.
It was a good episode but what I don't completely understand is why Miyokichi can't live in Tokyo, an apology and Miyokichi staying would bring Sukeroku's rakugo back.
3/5
P.S I can understand why the master got mad at Sukeroku.
Mar 5, 2016 1:21 AM

Jul 2015
Wow, it's episodes like this that make the show so great. So eventful, yet it didn't feel rushed. 5/5
Mar 5, 2016 1:43 AM

Mar 2013
Finally a chance to figure out the timing of some of this show. The anti-prostitution laws came into effect in April 1958, so the "present day" scenes of Kiku as an old man are probably set around 1978-1980, where he's presumably in his (early) 50s. It also means it's been over 10 years since Shin and Yakumo went to Manchuria and brought Miyokichi back with them, which is much longer than I was assuming it had been. Kiku and Shin are probably around 30 years old in this episode too.

Idk if anyone else cares but I always find the timeframe + ages of characters interesting, particularly when the show's historical.
Mar 5, 2016 2:19 AM

Sep 2007
Amaing episode!!! TT______________TT

If I understood it correctly, Miyokichi was already pregnant when she was with Shin? because from their conversation it seemed like they hadn't slept together yet O_o (Shin said "I can see them" with an embrassed and surprised face).
Mar 5, 2016 3:48 AM

Apr 2008
I wonder if Sukeroku is the father or one of her clients...?
Mar 5, 2016 4:43 AM

Jun 2013
i loved that artstyle during Kiku and Miyokichi and shit Shin got expelled
Mar 5, 2016 6:02 AM

Dec 2014
Hatsutaro .... Welll I feel bad for the guy but He was responsible of his own downfall afterall.. Stiill want things to end well for the guy
ibraheem234Mar 5, 2016 6:25 AM
Mar 5, 2016 6:07 AM

Nov 2009
It's hard for me to consider any recent anime as a masterpiece. It's a word I haven't used for such a long time ... until now.

Everything about this show is beautiful. Arts, animation, story telling, cinematography, characterizations, directing and so on. Shouwa Genroku is definitely topping Erased to become my #1 AotS.
Mar 5, 2016 6:21 AM
Feb 2016
I like how this show get me in an emotional rollercoaster. I can relate to every character and feel their emotion. How Shin has a noble objective but crushed by tradition, how kiku really cares about his friend : They've promised to make rakugo great but in the progress, kiku lost a dependable friend/rival

It's very realistic. It's predictable but the execution is awesome
Mar 5, 2016 6:39 AM

Sep 2014
Quite simply the most intense and best episode yet. Absolutely loved it. Rakugo is by far the best Anime this season. Both characters are so passionate about Rakugo, so ambitious. Man, I really like this.
Mar 5, 2016 6:51 AM

Oct 2014
Damn, shit just got real.

Kiku actually cared for Miyo, it's just that Miyo is such a bitch and never tried to be independent by using her past problem as an excuse. The thing that surprised me is by how far their master actually feeling pessimistic about his own talent. We know he said that he always felt pessimistic about his talent and thought that he doesn't deserve his name from his father but wow, so he actually has such a big emotion swelling up inside of him. And when Sukeroku said how bad his rakugo is, BAM, he just cannot contain it anymore. Finally having lost everything, Sukeroku came to the devil Miyo. Having all that said, Miyo's dark character is actually what made her my favorite in this show. And little Konatsu at the end of the preview is so cute!
"Whenever you fail at something, always remember that you won't fail as much as Usagi Drop did."
Mar 5, 2016 9:29 AM
Aug 2013
All i can say is Shin tripped a bomb when he said that his master's rakugo was boring.. The master himself had a huge complex of not able to withhold his family name.. but being told like tht to his face was like demeaning his entire life(career) which was obviously too much for him..
Mar 5, 2016 10:40 AM

Mar 2013
Holy amazeballs, that was fucking astounding!! The amount of shivers I got from the drama were really mind blowing.
Liked the different conflict they portrayed in the episode.
The ending was like BAM! when Sukeroku's true feelings surfaced.
All in all, this episode did nothing but invoked sorrowfulness... but yet so beautifully.
Mar 5, 2016 3:35 PM

Oct 2013
I just keep getting surprised by how good this show is, I don't want it to end.

Mar 5, 2016 5:19 PM

Jan 2008
So, is Konatsu Shin's daughter? I'm wondering as it doesn't seem so from the way Shin was talking to Kiku about Miyokichi being pregnant. He was talking as if it has nothing to do with him but that he will go with her anyway. However, he could be the father as Konatsu wants to get revenge on Kiku for supposedly killing her father. Can someone clarify?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2016

262 by Weeaboo_Bomber »»
Feb 14, 9:54 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2016

110 by itsagibbousmoon »»
Dec 21, 2023 7:15 PM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 1, 2016

196 by Abdullla_aah »»
Nov 25, 2023 9:10 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2016

203 by Shikkakku »»
May 2, 2023 1:48 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2016

134 by Shikkakku »»
May 1, 2023 7:40 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.