Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 4, 2010 8:45 AM

Jan 2010
Practically, this thread is where you can discuss or share your opinion about which male character can be classify as a bishounen and which male character is not fit in bishounen title. You can also add your personal preference for a male character to be classify as a bishie

Bishounen meaning:
Bishōnen (美少年?, also transliterated bishounen) is a Japanese term literally meaning "beautiful youth (boy)". The equivalent English concept is a "pretty boy".
The term describes an aesthetic that can be found in disparate areas in East Asia: a young man whose beauty (and sexual appeal) transcends the boundary of gender or sexual orientation. It has always shown the strongest manifestation in Japanese pop culture.
Today, bishōnen are very popular among girls and women in Japan. Reasons for this social phenomenon may include the unique male and female social relationships found within the genre. Some have theorized that bishōnen provide a non-traditional outlet for gender relations. Moreover, it breaks down stereotypes surrounding feminine male characters. These are often depicted with very strong martial arts abilities, sports talent, high intelligence, or comedic flair, traits that are usually assigned to the hero/protagonist.

Okay, I thought I knew what a Bishie was, but Im not so sure anymore.... Isnt a Bishie a boy who looks/acts a little feminine even when their not gay??? And arent they mostly found in Shojo's with the occasional exceptions in a few Shonens. I think the term has become to loosely used now a days. Just because a guy has long hair doesnt make them a Bishie...... does it? I mean Yuki and Ayame Sohma....theyre the deffinition of Bishies...... But is Kanda Yuu really a Bishie.... Ichigo Kurosaki is not a Bishie in anyway!!!! And Byakuya Kuchiki I mean.... He had a WIFE!!!!! Okay Senbonzakura does kinda count against him......but, really is it just me? Not that I dont llove TRUE Bishies <333. Just food for thought.....
noeezMay 30, 2012 8:23 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Mar 30, 2010 11:44 PM
Mar 2010
Isn't Bishie is guy who have beautiful face and appearance but still have man attitude? They ussually teenagers.
I love bishounen so much!
>.<
Apr 12, 2010 5:45 AM

Nov 2009
bishies are guys who have a beautiful face just like a girl (usually, but not always)/handsome, they are cool and have a strong charisma which makes women "fantasize" about them, i think.. :D
Apr 27, 2010 1:42 AM
Mar 2010
Bishonens are literally beautiful guys.. they may look feminine because of their slender bodies and their faces which have no traces of facial hair... also, they have a certain charisma that make girl want them.. heheheh ^_^
Jul 16, 2014 11:43 AM

Jul 2014
Bishounen are under 20, no facial hair, slender with a bit of muscle.

-- Physically Appealing--

I don't think their personality really matters... I think it's just an appearance thing.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» POST BISH PICS

ridojiri - Aug 18, 2009

18 by dhampyrism »»
Mar 28, 7:18 PM

Sticky: » &gt;&gt; Bishies to be added &lt;&lt;

noeez - May 13, 2012

45 by Kurogaga »»
Oct 20, 2020 9:23 PM

Sticky: Poll: » Official Club Member Card ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KupkakeStealer - Aug 13, 2009

643 by KatieMH »»
Jul 8, 2019 10:09 AM

» Mangaka that never fails to make you drool over their bishies

noeez - May 13, 2012

21 by LeonhartAugust »»
Nov 16, 2018 7:07 PM

» Suggestion for club activities

Aireena - May 31, 2015

0 by Aireena »»
May 31, 2015 11:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.