Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 29, 2016 10:09 AM

Jun 2015
I bring up this question because some shounen manga I've read like Holyland and Claymore have very subtle romance but works out better than romance genre'd manga. With a focus on action, I think a lot of the romance subplot is a lot less awkward and stagnant. Romance manga seem to go in circles and then break away from it after a LOT of chapters. Not to say shounen manga in general have better romance subplots, but those seem work out better than the love triangle trope. Do viewers of this topic have a preference? Or disagree?
Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen
Feb 29, 2016 11:16 AM

Jan 2015
I don't really have a preference as long as it's well written. I do think, however, that writing a subtle romance that happens in the background of a story is probably easier than making it the focus of the narrative. There's a lot of great ways to build chemistry between characters using relatively non-romantic scenarios, that can be used later on to develop a romance. Series that focus on romance are more likely to be much more direct about things. That's not necessarily bad, but I reckon it's particularly easy to screw up.
The other thing to consider is that a lot of series, especially in mags like Jump, try to stay serialized as long as possible. They don't end when the story demands it, they end when they begin losing popularity. With action series where the romantic buildup happens in the background, they can keep things going as long as they want, and simply accelerate the romance as the ending approaches. With a series focused on romance, it's much harder to avoid progressing the relationship. If the relationship goes to far, the story has to end.
HorkusFeb 29, 2016 11:19 AM

My Manga / Light Novel Collection: EN | FR | LN
Mar 5, 2016 11:47 PM
Jul 2014
Unless it's gay I don't want any romance in an anime. Lost count of how many anime I dropped that had good potentials just because they had some annoying hints of romance.
Mar 20, 2016 10:29 PM
Mar 2016
I've always preferred either full blown or none. Unless the romance has a direct tie in with the plot. Like, for instance, in Mirai Nikki, Yuno's affections towards Yuki do directly advance the plot.
Mar 21, 2016 6:34 PM

Aug 2013
Depends on the genre. If it's a calm, shoujo-esque series where each characters treat the romance seriously, subtle romance works best. But if it's any other series where romance isn't the main point and characters deal with more pressing issues, you can go full blown all you want.
Apr 24, 2016 8:17 PM

Sep 2013
It depends on the genre and the romance at hand. If romance isn't a main part of the plot, well, I usually don't want it to be there at all, but if I had to chose, subtle. If it's a romance manga, I hate being dragged along, so full blown is the only way to go.
Apr 25, 2016 1:28 PM

Sep 2015
I like my genres subtle, to be honest. Unless if this is comedy we're talking about.
I normally read a lot of romance/shoujo, and I like it when the story doesn't focus at the romantic relationships all the time.
Apr 29, 2016 8:23 AM

Jul 2014
I generally like full-blown romance but enjoy the thrill of the subtle (but developing) romance. It does get painfully frustrating to watch which I love and hate at the same time. lol
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1041 by chrismew223 »»
1 hour ago

» Tell me an anime with good female cast that is used correctly

kirA_-_ - Yesterday

6 by MeanMrMusician »»
2 hours ago

» Ur fav manga

Aoust_Adenca - Mar 10, 2023

20 by Cammell »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Manga or Light Novels: Which do you prefer?

Digibutter64 - Jan 1, 2020

26 by Kurt_Irving »»
Yesterday, 11:23 PM

» Ao Haru Ride Rant (Had to get this off my chest) Spoilers!

XGirl86 - Yesterday

0 by XGirl86 »»
Yesterday, 6:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.